Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Gaim vs. Trillian
Gaim vs. Trillian
2005-07-29, 7:07 PM #1
'Tis that time again. You know what to do.

Gaim.

Open source FTW \m/

[EDIT: Crazy thing didn't allow a poll last time I posted it...so I remade the thread.]
2005-07-29, 7:11 PM #2
I use Trillian m'self.
2005-07-29, 7:12 PM #3
- I've never used Gaim.
- But, I use Trillian regularly.
- Trillian is nice, despite it's bad habit of eating CPU while I try to play Counter-Strike, which makes me have to knock down it's process priority to idle.
- I used Trillian so much I decided to honor the now-ancient concept of "Shareware" and pay the $25 or whatever for Trilly Pro. Now I have plugins. Whee.
- I am considering doing the same for Winamp Pro. Just because the Winamp team roxors.

2005-07-29, 7:17 PM #4
Trillian 3. But only because .74 would no longer run MSN. And I recently reinstalled .74 just for IRC, because I LOATHED how Trillian 3 ran it.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2005-07-29, 7:25 PM #5
I use AOLIM with Aimutation which removes the ads and makes it really nice. Plus a special resource hack i made myself that changes all of the icons to match my windows theme.
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2005-07-29, 7:29 PM #6
Kopete
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-07-29, 7:29 PM #7
gaim was way too slow and clunky for me. trillian is so very streamlined. right to the point.
2005-07-29, 7:44 PM #8
Trillian for AIM/ICQ/Yahoo!
Msnm for Msnming
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-07-29, 7:46 PM #9
GAIM on my Linux and Trillian Basic at work for licensing reasons.
MithShrike: First Mateneer
Pimpin' Yerba Mate Drinker
2005-07-29, 7:47 PM #10
I was using gaim in linux but it's tabbed chatting pissed the hell out of me for MSN because it didn't shorten people's names automatically.
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2005-07-29, 8:45 PM #11
Every time I touch another instant messaging program besides Trillian, I ask myself "Why, God? Why?" because it just tends to be crap.

Trillian's Minimalistic skin is all I need to relax. It's, as someone already said, to the point. I want to contact bob. Holy crap, adding bob to my list and changing his odd screen name to my choice of name is a snap, and then talking to him in tabbed mode is easypeasy. Suddenly, I'm not having to THINK to make my messanger NOT be a hassle. God for freaking bid.

Jedikirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-07-29, 8:46 PM #12
AIM and MSN. Seriously, what's with all these crappy 3rd party clients? PFFT.
D E A T H
2005-07-29, 9:10 PM #13
Trillian, by far. Prefer its interface to GAIM much more. Used to use GAIM a bit in Linux and never was a big fan. Only use it for ICQ and AIM though. Don't really use IRC anymore and never was a fan of MSN or Yahoo.
2005-07-29, 9:14 PM #14
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]AIM and MSN. Seriously, what's with all these crappy 3rd party clients? PFFT.[/QUOTE]

Aim and MSN alone SUCK. I downloaded MSN recently out of total curiousity.... It blows. And Aim is just.... How obnoxious can you MAKE the buddy list by default?
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2005-07-29, 9:17 PM #15
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]AIM and MSN. Seriously, what's with all these crappy 3rd party clients? PFFT.[/QUOTE]

because even in minized (in my lower right hand dock) mode, MSN alone takes 10,000k of memory, and trillian, which has AIM and MSN, open and on my screen takes up 8,000k

so.. 8,000 for AIM, MSN, ICQ and YIM...

or

20,000 or more for MSN and YIM, and you have to use two different programs.

im not saying its using a lot, im just saying it's still a waste, and much easier to have all your contacts for every instant messenger in one list.

and no ads.
2005-07-29, 9:30 PM #16
It takes 20megs of memory just to run Trillian or GAIM. And AIM is awesomely simple once hacked to have ads out, and MSN...well I never use it except when I talk to the few people who have it as their sole form of communication anyways. Never liked it. But I dislike Trillian and GAIM oh so much more. Mainly because of random disconnects all the time. I do mean ALL the time. And besides, if 20 megs of memory is a big hit to your performance...you need a new computer.
D E A T H
2005-07-29, 10:30 PM #17
Random Disconnects is a problem on YOUR end then. I hardly EVER experience that. The last time that happened to me was months ago.
Last Stand
2005-07-29, 10:33 PM #18
Originally posted by Anovis:
Open source FTW \m/

Kinda random, but every time I see FTW, I think "f*** the what", you know, rather than for 'WTF'... just thought I'd throw that out there. <.<
DO NOT WANT.
2005-07-29, 10:36 PM #19
Originally posted by Zell:
Kinda random, but every time I see FTW, I think "f*** the what", you know, rather than for 'WTF'... just thought I'd throw that out there. <.<

Hehe
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2005-07-29, 10:45 PM #20
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]It takes 20megs of memory just to run Trillian or GAIM. And AIM is awesomely simple once hacked to have ads out, and MSN...well I never use it except when I talk to the few people who have it as their sole form of communication anyways. Never liked it. But I dislike Trillian and GAIM oh so much more. Mainly because of random disconnects all the time. I do mean ALL the time. And besides, if 20 megs of memory is a big hit to your performance...you need a new computer.[/QUOTE]
Trillian is only taking about 5megs here, how many freaking windows do you have open?
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-07-29, 11:11 PM #21
With three convos going. So yeah, I use Trillian.
Attachment: 6370/trillianresource.bmp (15,102 bytes)
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2005-07-29, 11:57 PM #22
I've been using trillian for aaaages out of sheer laziness.
You know those people that keep getting the latest and greatest of programs? Well I'm far too lazy to be one of those people..
If I can be convinced to switch I will, eventually. But generally ones pretty much the same as the other. No?
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2005-07-30, 12:13 AM #23
Originally posted by Genki:
Trillian is only taking about 5megs here, how many freaking windows do you have open?

ditto
Last Stand
2005-07-30, 12:20 AM #24
On average I have 20-ish chat windows open. Mainly because if I choose to game, and forget an away message, I don't want to have the odd chance of someone messaging me and minimize my game. Also, last time I used trillian was pre-3.0, so I guess I'm wrong about the new ones, but still, even having 20 windows open with AIM and about 6 or 7 with MSN doesn't hit my performance at all. I don't see why it's such a big deal.
D E A T H
2005-07-30, 4:53 AM #25
I like Trillian, and I'd use it except for the fact that I don't really know many people on MSN, YIM, or ICQ. So I just use regular AIM.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-07-30, 7:51 AM #26
Trillian for AIM/YIM/MSN, and for a while ICQ. I use mIRC for IRC, and refuse to give up my IRC scripting for Trillian.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-07-30, 8:43 AM #27
Trillian 3.1 pro

I've been using it for as long as the standard MSN messenger client started to have ads (some years ago). Using it for ICQ as well though the people who I know who actually use ICQ are wearing thin... (That used to be different back in 1998...)
Used it in the past for IRC as well but stopped doing that when I wanted to do some scripting and they dropped official support.

For the record it takes up about 4 megs here, but I must note I turn most graphic and autoaway settings off.

DJ YOSHI: Also in trillian you can say not to pop up messages (but rather just add them to the windows taskbar) so you will never have the problem of being kicked out of a game back to the desktop... So no need to open 20-ish chat windows to prevent that.

I never tried GAIM or Miranda or any of those other 3rd party programs because I've always been satisfied with trillian
APT 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6
TDT
DMDMD

http://veddertheshredder.com
2005-07-30, 8:52 AM #28
I used Trillian, but I don't need IM so much that I would pay for it. Sure there is that basic version, but gaim does what I want it to do. It's not perfect yet. No file send with ICQ ... but when I used trillian I had a lot of file send problems, too - it's much easier to upload the file on my webspace :)
My levels
2005-07-30, 9:51 AM #29
That's the other reason I don't use 3rd party clients--GAIM and Trillian both severely screw up file transfer and direct connect. Not with everyone, but with enough people that it can be a real pain in the *** sometimes.
D E A T H
2005-07-30, 11:33 AM #30
Trillian, all the way!
2005-07-30, 11:46 AM #31
I use Trillian and I'm slowly becoming displeased with it. I'm having problems with it. It doesn't update status of some of my AIM friends. When I go to message them, they've signed off or gone mobile yet it seems to still show "online." File xfer has been hit or miss. Although, I'm sure that's to be expected with other IM clients. I suppose it's the lesser of two evils for now.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-07-30, 11:48 AM #32
File xfer works as long as your router is properly configged with AIM, JG. ;)
D E A T H
2005-07-30, 12:58 PM #33
I use Trillian, but I have to admit its gone downhill since the 0.5x and 0.6x versions. Its become really bloated since then, and it was nice back when AIM or MSN updated their clients, a new version of Trillian was released within a day to comply with the changes.
2005-07-30, 11:05 PM #34
When I used to use Windows XP regularly on my laptop, I used Trillian. But now I use Ubuntu as my main OS, so GAIM it is for me. I don't have an IM client on my gaming/rendering/compiling machine for a reason.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-07-31, 8:58 AM #35
Gaim due to my using Linux.
2005-07-31, 9:38 AM #36
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]It takes 20megs of memory just to run Trillian or GAIM. And AIM is awesomely simple once hacked to have ads out, and MSN...well I never use it except when I talk to the few people who have it as their sole form of communication anyways. Never liked it. But I dislike Trillian and GAIM oh so much more. Mainly because of random disconnects all the time. I do mean ALL the time. And besides, if 20 megs of memory is a big hit to your performance...you need a new computer.[/QUOTE]

um, i just said it takes 10 to run trillian, and 20 or more to run AIM and MSN.. and like i said it doesnt really matter, it's just a waste. i dont take a hit in performance, and i dont get random disconnects, ever. and i get the same problem with direct connect and file transfer as i do when i use the actual MSN. all these problems are very common with instant messenger when you have a router. routers suck ***, that's the problem.
2005-07-31, 9:58 AM #37
MSN for MSN

Gaim for AIM

(lolz)
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-07-31, 11:04 AM #38
Originally posted by Cazor:
um, i just said it takes 10 to run trillian, and 20 or more to run AIM and MSN.. and like i said it doesnt really matter, it's just a waste. i dont take a hit in performance, and i dont get random disconnects, ever. and i get the same problem with direct connect and file transfer as i do when i use the actual MSN. all these problems are very common with instant messenger when you have a router. routers suck ***, that's the problem.

Not really, they're quite easy to configure so that you never have that problem. And I'm talking about AIM, not MSN, because AIM is superior for file transfers.
D E A T H
2005-08-01, 9:06 PM #39
oh nos. An AIM client takes 20 MB of RAM out of my 1024 available!
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-08-02, 8:52 AM #40
Kopete

↑ Up to the top!