Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → WMD's found in Iraq
WMD's found in Iraq
2004-05-17, 11:37 AM #1
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,120137,00.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4997808/

Well, whatya'll think? This significant to the war on terrorism, or is this just part of some isolated stockpile not associated with Saddam at all?

------------------
Self-righteous people are more sinful than I am.
2004-05-17, 11:43 AM #2
one... a stray assumed to have been gathered by militants. Not the regime itself. Still no WMDs. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-05-17, 11:49 AM #3
Is mustard gas a weapon of mass destruction??

------------------
[19:59] Happy "Liar liar" dud: This is arguably one of the lowest points in my life.
[20:00] Happy "Liar liar" dud: I'm sitting here infront of my two computers wearing shorts and with no shirt, eating potato salad and orange juice, debating the existance of pants.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-05-17, 11:57 AM #4
Wasn't mustard gas being used as early as the first World War?

------------------
BV's rendition of Titanic: Let's have sex. I won't let go. I don't need this stone.
The End.
~ Wolfy
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2004-05-17, 12:02 PM #5
M-hmm. Indeed. Named after the colour and the strange aromatic smell. Iraq used mustard gas extensively against Iran's massed infantry human wave assults throughout the war in the 1980's.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-05-17, 12:03 PM #6
mustard gas is a chemical weapon and is thus classified as a WMD

------------------
Is Wayne Brady going to have to choke a *****?
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-05-17, 12:06 PM #7
This is how it is going to go:

Liberals: This proves nothing! Just because we found chemical weapons in Iraq in a weapon that Saddam had control over doesn't mean he had chemical weapons!

Conservatives: This proves he not only had chemical and biological weapons but he was had a nuclear weapon in the works somewhere and planned on destroying Israel with it!

Idiots, both sides.

------------------
Is Wayne Brady going to have to choke a *****?
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-05-17, 12:17 PM #8
How do we know it wasn't transported there by all the fighters flooding iraq from other countries?

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log
2004-05-17, 12:21 PM #9
And brian has the key to the war: Nothing in iraq can be taken seriously anymore. It's all flooding in from other countries who want to get a piece of the Americans under the name of Iraq.

Mustard gas isn't all that bad, either. We've got tons of stockpile left over from Nam that we didn't dispose of, dispite the UN's excessive demand that we do so. Odd, how we've claimed America is focused on weapons of mass disorientation, rather than distruction. I don't think Mustard-Gas is all that non-lethal.

JediKirby

------------------
<]-[ellequin> Nothing is quite as satisfying as placing a .177 lead pellet in between the eyes of a cat.
<]-[ellequin> I think I will leave it's corpse there, to warn all the other cats to keep out of my hibiscus patch

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-05-17, 12:22 PM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:
How do we know it wasn't transported there by all the fighters flooding iraq from other countries?

</font>

. . . um. Read the thing?

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-05-17, 12:26 PM #11
Uh, mustard gas melts your skin and your lungs.

------------------
"I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be." -Janis Joplin
2004-05-17, 12:27 PM #12
Human rights violations - check.
Ties to Al Qaeda - check.
Weapons of mass destruction - check.

I think that about wraps it up.

------------------
"Why aren't I'm using at these pictures?" - Cloud, 4/14/02
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2004-05-17, 12:31 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:

I think that about wraps it up.

</font>

Yet, some anti-war fool is going to try to get all technical about everything, make every effort to make himself seem superior in the debate, and throw out random bs to claim as fact AND in turn, all the pro-war fools will fall into the trap and try to do the same. It's how all of these debates turn out.
2004-05-17, 12:43 PM #14
Haven't we known about mustard gas in Iraq forever?
2004-05-17, 12:52 PM #15
I thought they found a single shell of Sarin gas. At least that is what I hear on the news as I'm typing this.

Not really conclusive, but no one is making any wild claims from what I hear, so far.

Mustard Gas was developed in WWI, honed from regular chlorine gas. It covers the battlefield like a thick fog. It is a very caustic gas, which can cause severe burning to skin and especially the eyes and lungs, as well as the entire respiratory tract.

Sarin is a nerve gas, as you know a very nasty one.

------------------
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2004-05-17, 1:05 PM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Correction:
. . . um. Read the thing?
</font>

Yeah, it says they suspect the mustard gas (which was found two weeks ago) is "suspected" to have been under the control of Saddam. But it doesn't mention anything about the origin of the sarin, which is what they just found, and which is what I was asking about.

------------------
2004-05-17, 1:05 PM #17
Michael, why don't you tell us where you got "ties to al Qaeda" from?

Insurgents found a shell from before the first Gulf War without even knowing what was in it. I'm sorry, but this doesn't qualify. It simply isn't significant.

Morf: Since these discussions obviously upset you, why don't you avoid them?
2004-05-17, 1:16 PM #18

------------------
<]-[ellequin> Nothing is quite as satisfying as placing a .177 lead pellet in between the eyes of a cat.
<]-[ellequin> I think I will leave it's corpse there, to warn all the other cats to keep out of my hibiscus patch

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-05-17, 1:21 PM #19
It has begun.

Ictus: Don't make idiotic conclusions. These threads do not upset me (and this was not even implied). I'm simply saying how it has been and will be.
2004-05-17, 1:26 PM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Connection Problem:
Haven't we known about mustard gas in Iraq forever?</font>

Partially because we gave it to them ^^

------------------
"Just remember -- No matter how bad things get, Northern Minnesota will always be there"
-- Garrison Keeler
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-05-17, 1:44 PM #21
Apparently an old mustard shell and a sarin shell from the 80's were worth invading a country over.

They decided the mustard shell was so not-worth-knowing-about, that it was better to save it for a rainy day, ie Rumsfeld getting in trouble and the head of the Iraqi Governing Council getting killed.
2004-05-17, 2:52 PM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:

</font>

That isn't what I'd call overwhelming evidence... One is a blurry picture of Saddam shaking some suits hand, and the other is from a section entitled "Rants"

Get some real, hard evidence from a reliable news site, then I'll believe you.

------------------
[19:59] Happy "Liar liar" dud: This is arguably one of the lowest points in my life.
[20:00] Happy "Liar liar" dud: I'm sitting here infront of my two computers wearing shorts and with no shirt, eating potato salad and orange juice, debating the existance of pants.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-05-17, 3:06 PM #23
I don't have the will, or time. I know it's been featured on CNN.com before, since that's where I remember reading about the situation. It's a known fact we traded with Saddam. A fact. We traded goods, not to mention goods that could be used in times of war, including food, weapons, and missile defence-systems.

JediKirby

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-05-17, 3:12 PM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">That isn't what I'd call overwhelming evidence... One is a blurry picture of Saddam shaking some suits hand, and the other is from a section entitled "Rants"</font>

The US did supply Iraq (and Saddam) with weapons to beat out the soviets. This is not new news though and not only occured in Iraq.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-05-17, 3:13 PM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:
I don't have the will, or time. I know it's been featured on CNN.com before, since that's where I remember reading about the situation. It's a known fact we traded with Saddam. A fact. We traded goods, not to mention goods that could be used in times of war, including food, weapons, and missile defence-systems.

</font>

Yes, we've traded goods. I'm aware of that. But you were trying to prove that Saddam was connected to Al Queda, yes..?

------------------
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-05-17, 3:27 PM #26
Don't go changing the subject now, happydud. Geesh get with it.

------------------
2004-05-17, 3:32 PM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GHORG:
Apparently an old mustard shell and a sarin shell from the 80's were worth invading a country over.

They decided the mustard shell was so not-worth-knowing-about, that it was better to save it for a rainy day, ie Rumsfeld getting in trouble and the head of the Iraqi Governing Council getting killed.
</font>
That did seem odd to me ... but I'm not really a conspiracy theorist. I'll wait to see if Osama is suddenly captured just prior to the election.

------------------
2004-05-17, 3:41 PM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:
Don't go changing the subject now, happydud. Geesh get with it.

</font>

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-05-17, 3:46 PM #29
Am I the only person here who honest to God doesn't give a flip one way or the other any more?

I'm so damned tired of hearing about WMDs, Iraq, Al-Qaeda, Saddam, and the Middle East period.

I'm of the firm opinion that anything they find we gave to them at some point so in a way it our fault they even have it to begin with, OR, we planted it there not long ago and dug it up so we'd have something to show for our trouble. I like number one better.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-05-17, 4:16 PM #30
To quote Lewis Black: "Republicans suck, Democrats blow."

------------------
Prowling out of the tundra, swinging a jeweled meat hammer, cometh Outlaw Torn! And he gives a gutteral bellow:

"I'm seriously going to hump you until you scream like a banshee!"
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2004-05-17, 4:50 PM #31
One single shell of Sarin gas and one single shell of useless Mustard gas over 400 days after Iraq was invaded? Yeah, conclusive... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-05-17, 5:25 PM #32
happydud, he was trying to say all the reasons that the US went to war with Iraq are hypocritical because the US has violated everything on that list as well.

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-05-17, 5:35 PM #33
Spork: So you're suggesting that after this one sarin gas shell was found, that that was the final munition of the type in Iraq? That the terrorists/Saddam/whoever only developed one warhead, and no one ever bothered to develop some sort of stockpile?

This thing was hidden amongst thousands of normal explosives. The terrorists didn't even know what it really was: if they did, they sure as hell woulda made sure it went off properly. Clearly, these things are well hidden. Spread all over a country the size of California, unmarked, littered in inconspicuous places. Calling this insigificant is foolish. If anything, the task of recovering these stockpiles has just been proven far more daunting and necessary.

BTW, Phoenix, you start your post professing an ignorance to current events, and a wish to continue in that ignorance. Then you continue to state that whatever happens, you will firmly take a "blame America" position. I just want to state right off the bat that, in the future, I will most likely pass over your posts as they will probably not be worth reading. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------

[This message has been edited by Cougar (edited May 17, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Cougar (edited May 17, 2004).]
2004-05-17, 5:43 PM #34
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Am I the only person here who honest to God doesn't give a flip one way or the other any more?</font>

Apparently.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">This thing was hidden amongst thousands of normal explosives. The terrorists didn't even know what it really was: if they did, they sure as hell woulda made sure it went off properly. Clearly, these things are well hidden. Spread all over a country the size of California, unmarked, littered in inconspicuous places. Calling this insigificant is foolish. If anything, the task of recovering these stockpiles has just been proven far more daunting and necessary.</font>

Funny how you know there are more... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
But seriously, one shell doesn't mean there's a whole stockpile somewhere.

[This message has been edited by Evil_Tofu (edited May 17, 2004).]
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-05-17, 5:44 PM #35
You didn't read my post. It's illogical to assume that there was only one sarin canister in all of Iraq.

------------------
2004-05-17, 5:46 PM #36
Yes, but you misread my post. One shell doesn't prove there is a stockpile somewhere, many insurgent cells may have one, or two, or none. It's really impossible to tell and therefore impossible to track them all down, defeating the entire purpose of actually entering Iraq to search for WMDs. Don't get me wrong, I support the war on Iraq but because Saddam Hussein needed to be ousted, not that I believed they had WMDs.

[This message has been edited by Evil_Tofu (edited May 17, 2004).]
2004-05-17, 6:10 PM #37
Cougar:

If there are stockpiles of chemical weapons in Iraq controlled by 'terrorists', why on earth have none been used yet against Coalition troops? They've used many different kinds of weapons from simple guns and artilery, to car boms, suicide bombers, and hell even swords. I cant say I'm up to date on the rules of Jihad, but surely if they're willing to use suicide bombers to kill innocent civilians or video tape a beheading, they'd be willing to use their alleged stockpiles of mustard and sarin gas against military targets.

Furthermore, it's been four hundred and twenty four days since US troops entered Iraq on the premise that the Iraqi government possesed WMDs, and over a year later this is the best they can come up with?! I just find it strange that our governments were so eager to go to war on what was evidently such erroneous military intel.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-05-18, 2:59 AM #38
Because the terrorists didn't know what they were. Here's my guess - someone happened upon a hidden cache of weapons. They mistook it for normal explosives. They decided to be nefarious and plant one.

I'm willing to bet that werever that shell came from, there's more.

------------------
Frightening the very small and very old since 1952.
2004-05-18, 4:46 AM #39
You're on.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-05-18, 4:57 AM #40
A date with Madquack goes to the winner. Or loser. Whichever the case would be with such a prize.

------------------

↑ Up to the top!