Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Shuttle lands successfully!
Shuttle lands successfully!
2005-08-09, 6:13 AM #1
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/08/09/space.shuttle/index.html

...and we all breathe a sigh of relief.
Stuff
2005-08-09, 6:29 AM #2
woot!
2005-08-09, 8:42 AM #3
That's good to hear.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-08-09, 8:44 AM #4
Very good.
D E A T H
2005-08-09, 9:05 AM #5
golly, what a shock.
2005-08-09, 9:57 AM #6
Man, good to hear.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-08-09, 10:04 AM #7
Good TImes :)
Pissed Off?
2005-08-09, 10:33 AM #8
Imagine that. It's like they've done it dozens of times... :rolleyes:
2005-08-09, 10:59 AM #9
...yes, but this time the shuttle had been damaged and they had to make repairs in space.

Luckily, my superpowers guided the ship in safe and easy. :)
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-08-09, 11:02 AM #10
Earth 1, Outer Space 0
2005-08-09, 11:03 AM #11
Next time you won't be so lucky... >:]
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-08-09, 11:33 AM #12
/cheer!
2005-08-09, 11:42 AM #13
Originally posted by Darth:
Imagine that. It's like they've done it dozens of times... :rolleyes:

Ugh, I know. They act as if a shuttle has ever had trouble during re-entry.

When you get your foot out of your mouth I know another place you can put it.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-08-09, 11:53 AM #14
Gotta love the hostility when someone expresses their distate for paranoia caused mostly by media sensationalism.
2005-08-09, 11:57 AM #15
There were LIVES at stake on wether or not the shuttle would be able to survive re-entry.

You want to be paranoid? Fine, go watch a moore film. But insulting the good news of those people making it back alive makes you look like an idiot.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-08-09, 11:59 AM #16
Touchy touchy.

Never did I say there weren't lives at stake and that concern wasn't necessary, but I believe the huge media sensationalism is highly unnecessary.
2005-08-09, 1:02 PM #17
So... the media should be low-key and discreet about *everything*?
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-08-09, 1:05 PM #18
You're talking extremes. Not sensationlizing != don't talk about it.

Case in point about the sensationalism. The preflight windshield cover that came off that wasn't even an object that remains on in flight. Saw lots of stories about this and it made a lot of people think "Oh no, it's falling apart" when a lot of these stories never pointed out that it was something that is removed before flight.
2005-08-09, 1:12 PM #19
If you don't think huge media sensationalism is necessary say so. Don't suggest that just because we're having a sigh of relief after the shuttle landed safely (which, as Gris said, there was a chance it might not) that we're some kind of paranoid, gullible freaks that buy into everything the media tells us. It's insulting, honestly.
D E A T H
2005-08-09, 1:14 PM #20
Yay for the flying garbage transport!
nope.
2005-08-09, 1:23 PM #21
Never was what I stated directed at anyone, and rather directed at the whole thing in general. You're just reading into it too much to try and cause a fuss over something. Something people need to learn to not do so much around here.
2005-08-09, 1:26 PM #22
Originally posted by Lord_Grismath:
...yes, but this time the shuttle had been damaged and they had to make repairs in space.

True, but no previous shuttle flight has ever encountered such detailed observation in space for damage. Every single space shuttle flight has returned with flight damage from it. It just seemed like this one was worse then most (in the publics eye) because inspecting for damage was one of their main goals in the mission.
2005-08-09, 1:40 PM #23
After the Columbia disaster, people have been more concerned with this sort of thing. I'm not knowledgeable enough about Challenger to make any comparisons.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-08-09, 3:28 PM #24
Originally posted by Jon`C:
golly, what a shock.

Yea, no kidding.
2005-08-09, 4:52 PM #25
Good times. Now we need to get rid of the shuttle and get a craft more up to date.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2005-08-09, 6:39 PM #26
Originally posted by Jedigreedo:
Ugh, I know. They act as if a shuttle has ever had trouble during re-entry.

When you get your foot out of your mouth I know another place you can put it.

The shuttle has not routinely had trouble during re-entry. It had trouble once due to environmentally "friendly" foam. Stupid enviro-nazis. Anyway, this one was never in any danger beyond what others were. Re-entry is dangerous to begin with. We should all realize that and appreciate it. We should all welcome our astronauts back from a perilous journey. This actually is rocket science.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2005-08-09, 6:41 PM #27
We need a space elevator or a huge railgun that blasts us into space or something.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-08-09, 6:58 PM #28
okay......................................................................................

who cares.
This is not the sig you are looking for. Move along.
2005-08-09, 6:59 PM #29
Originally posted by Macro_Roshuma:
okay......................................................................................

who cares.

You are going to get your *** kicked by flamers.

Hold onto your shorts.
2005-08-09, 7:14 PM #30

who cares.

I do.

Just for the record.
woot!
2005-08-09, 7:31 PM #31
So do I. I just wish people would stop trying to drag politics into this.
2005-08-09, 7:48 PM #32
Here's something people don't seem to realize about Columbia:

IT HAD A GIGANTIC HOLE IN THE WING

Discovery suffered no damage at all. The only tricky thing was a couple of pieces of what's essentially lint, designed to prevent shearing stresses from slamming together (and then shattering) the thermal tiles on the bottom of the shuttle.

Fox actually had the gall to petition NASA to delay the shuttle landing until 8 AM so they could have better coverage in case of a fatal accident. The mass media is a gaggle of fear-mongering *******s and none of you should be listening to anything they say. Try turning on NASA TV, this is why it exists.

The only news I get is the newspaper & whatever I happen to read on a forum or something, so I'm not always looking at whatever the media wants to say.

However -- even if this shuttle had no damage whatsoever, I would still care that they came back safely. :)
woot!
2005-08-09, 7:52 PM #33

who cares.

Number One: what happened to the good old days when three periods were enough for something like that?

Number Two: I didn't follow this very much, although I did hear they had a problem or two. I'm just relieved that they made if back ok. Even if they hadn't had any problems, I'd still be relieved.

So...I care. I'm glad we've had another successful space mission. That's all.

[Future Post]
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-08-09, 8:07 PM #34

Discovery suffered no damage at all. The only tricky thing was a couple of pieces of what's essentially lint, designed to prevent shearing stresses from slamming together (and then shattering) the thermal tiles on the bottom of the shuttle.

Fox actually had the gall to petition NASA to delay the shuttle landing until 8 AM so they could have better coverage in case of a fatal accident. The mass media is a gaggle of fear-mongering *******s and none of you should be listening to anything they say. Try turning on NASA TV, this is why it exists.

I miss NASA TV. It had some interesting coverage. Of course, I don't have it here, but then again when I did have it I lived 5 minutes away from the Huntsville...er...chapter.
D E A T H
2005-08-09, 8:08 PM #35
Futaro strikes again!

[http://www.coyleandsharpe.com/gallery/crystal_ball_LG.jpg]

"I predict that Jon'C will soon try to give his point more weight by using capitals and boldface"
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-08-09, 8:14 PM #36
NASA TV is fun. Was glad I noticed that I get it a few months back.
2005-08-09, 8:51 PM #37

2005-08-09, 9:02 PM #38
cool they have shuttles that fly in outer space now?!

marvelous.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2005-08-09, 9:11 PM #39
damn i lost a bet....

no i wasn't betting it would blow up... i was betting they would land in a walmart parking lot
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-08-09, 9:36 PM #40

who cares.

This coming from

http://personalpages.tds.net/~emilysue2002/Me_light_blue.jpg

↑ Up to the top!