Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I'm interested in getting a new MMO...
I'm interested in getting a new MMO...
2005-08-16, 5:02 PM #1
There is the list of MMOs I'm thinking of getting when I get the money for them.

The one I'm interested in the most is Guild Wars because there is no monthly fee and it looks gear towards casual players because of how the game is set up. The next one is City of Heroes which looks interesting and its only 30 bucks for the game itself but it has a monthly fee though. I recently downloaded the trial of everquest II and from what I've played, the game is pretty good. It plays very close to how WoW plays except there is more freedom in class and tradeskill decisions and there is no PvP. I don't care for PvP at all so its no lost for me. Everquest is also only 20 bucks too, although I probably have to pay more for expansions.

Even though I cancelled WoW at the end of last month, I'm still considering resuming the account just to level up my hunter and rogue to 60 and then end the account for good after that and then move onto another MMO.

BTW, I was considering getting Lineage II but I hear that the game is just a boring grind with very little to no quests to do. The only real interest I had in the game because of the hot looking, big breasted, half-naked dark elves :p Guild Wars has some hot babes too so I probably better off getting that game over lineage II anyway.

Yes, I know... someone needs a girlfriend!

Edit: Crap - typo in poll title. Can some admin fix that please?
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2005-08-16, 5:07 PM #2
Go for Guild Wars. I love MMO games but I get bored very easily and I tend to take a month break from the game. Not beacuse it is a boring game, just because I get bored with it. Just the way I am. With Guild Wars, it isn't like if I get bored I still need to play. I can stop and start whenever I want because there isn't a monthly fee. Although Guild Wars isn't the same kind of MMO as CoH or WoW it's still a LOT of fun. Especially when your with a group of 7 other friends on some quest that you've been on for an hour and a half in the middle of nowhere. The enviornments and the music are beautiful. The graphics are great, and the gameplay is solid. Go for Guild Wars.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-08-16, 5:14 PM #3
Go outside.

:D
2005-08-16, 5:14 PM #4
City of Heroes. City of Villains is set to come out soon (though it's its own MMO, not an expansion. :<) and that means PVP.
D E A T H
2005-08-16, 5:17 PM #5
Originally posted by RN2804:
Go outside.

:D

Them be fighting words, boy!
2005-08-16, 5:53 PM #6
FFXI. You know you want it.

Anyway, do what you think is right, JC... err... SavageX. I haven't played any of them, but if you're going to try them out, I'd say Guild Wars first, since it's the cheapest.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2005-08-16, 7:52 PM #7
People seem to have a love / hate relationship with City of Heroes. Personally I loved it, while it lasted.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-08-17, 12:05 AM #8
*Bump*
2005-08-17, 12:07 AM #9
SWG > CoH > WoW > EQII > GW

IMO

^^^ SAJN_Master and Dj Yoshi read this ^^^^^
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-08-17, 12:07 AM #10
Wait for Auto Assault.
2005-08-17, 12:32 AM #11
No matter which one you go with, the game will be just a grind.

EverQuest (original) has the most content and a nearly endless experience grind.

Lineage 2 is potentially completely free, and if the user run server is top-notch, you'll have tons of content.

EQ2 is really beautiful, and fun for a month at least. Gameplay is the most tedious of any major MMOG out at the moment though.

CoH is fun for a month or two, but the lack of proper itemization keeps the game from having a long-term draw.

PlanetSide is a MMOFPS if you wanted a break from the MMORPG thing. A low learning curve if you've played much of any FPS before. Very high level of skill involved to be an exceptional player, but a newbie can be decent. Your level has very little affect on your ability to kill others.

I'm pretty sure Anarchy Online went totally free, so playing can't hurt you. It's pretty crummy though, too much instancing and shallow gameplay/content.

SWG is one of the best major MMOGs where you can affect the environment. Class balance is a serious issue, but the game should be fun for a month (like most MMOGs).

Having played a troll shaman in WoW to only level 6 I can't comment on it too much other than it was a lot like Lineage 2.

QM
2005-08-17, 2:13 AM #12
Well, lets see....

City of Heroes: Was fun for a bit, then I just got bored as there really aren't any items to get. The classes are pretty good and the character creation system is wicked. You can spend hours in it. I remade my character 3 times till I got the costume I wanted.

World of Warcraft: Well, my highest being 57, can't really comment a lot on end game. So, this is about the same as you. But a friend of mine (RL and who leveled to 60 behind my back.. ><) told me the game really doesn't start till 60. But personally, the grinding Raid instances doesn't have me over joyed. The only raid I want to do is Zul'Gurub. And, I'm like you, PvP isn't a big thing for me, and for that, I suck at PvP.. So I wont comment on it.. >_>

Guild Wars: I haven't played it in about 2-3 months. I keep wanting to start it up again and get to 20, I want to see some of it's end game. I got to level 8, and from what I've seen and done, it's pretty good. The skill system is nice, and I like the class system (and the sub job system, kind of like FFXI, except you can't change it once you make your choice). From the one PvP battle I had, it was fun, quick, and I actually killed some people... unlike WoW. ;_;

Everquest II: Don't know about this one. All I've heard is it's a major grind.

FFXI: Just because I saw someone else talk about it, I'll do the same (though if you've already played it, ignore this then ^^;; ). This game, for some odd reason, is attempting to pull me back. The one thing about WoW I really hate is the solo aspect. It's so huge that you can't just get a group together and go grind. For some odd reason, I'm missing that. O_o FFXI has that in spades though. Though going back for me would be a pain... I sold all my stuff and gave the money to friends. But I do miss my Dragoon. :( And besides that, I'm pretty sure my character is deleted (and I think that Return offer they were doing is over). And... I don't want to buy the game again. :(

So, over all, I voted Guild Wars, seeing as it's free and if burn out for a bit, you don't have to worry about canceling any subscriptions. :cool:
Lurker Extraordinaire
2005-08-17, 5:14 AM #13
Originally posted by Freelancer:
SWG > CoH > WoW > EQII > GW

IMO

^^^ SAJN_Master and Dj Yoshi read this ^^^^^

If you post it's quite obvious it's in your opinion. It's not my fault your opinion is severely flawed. And wrong. (I'm not kidding around.)

QM--It doesn't HAVE to be a repetetive grind. CoH is fun as hell, WoW has raids, GW has the PVP, all very awesome distractions from the grinding.
D E A T H
2005-08-17, 8:23 AM #14
CoH, it very fun for one month bursts. Leave it alone for a week then love it again :D.
nope.
2005-08-17, 8:28 AM #15
Stop being so damn predictable, Freelancer & Yoshi.

Wait, you can't.

Ah hah hah!

As for MMO's, they're all the same crap, just get something.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-08-17, 9:48 AM #16
If you want an MMO, don't get guildwars because it isn't one.

If you want a slow paced combat system and bland, done-before enviroments, go with EQ2.

If you want something nifty with a ton of customization, go to CoH.

Or you could just go back to WoW. *shrug*
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-08-17, 11:24 AM #17
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Stop being so damn predictable, Freelancer & Yoshi.

Wait, you can't.

Ah hah hah!

As for MMO's, they're all the same crap, just get something.

And they hypocrite strikes again! Didn't you even list that as one of the things you hate about the internet? DOUBLE HYPOCRACY!

:o
D E A T H
2005-08-17, 11:27 AM #18
don't wate money monthly unless you can make a profit off of the game. The only time you should have to make monthly payments on something is when it's going to be an investment.

Guild Wars FTW
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-08-17, 12:19 PM #19
Oh, another important thing to consider: raiding is the worst form of MMOG grinding that exists, but most people don't realize it until they've been at it for a year. It's you, plus either a pickup raid or a guild, spending X hours chewing through X number of enemies with less battle diversity than in a 1 group situation (puller pulls, tank engages and gets aggro, raid engages and it dies), then fighting a boss where there's strategy X already ready to be used and only a few items as a reward. Then you do this same thing every raiding night, SOMETIMES with a different target, but if they're guild raids, you'll be doing the same handful of target for weeks/months until nearly everyone has the gear, then you'll step up to the next harder raid(s).

The weird thing is raiding was player invented. Why do people enjoy this?

QM
2005-08-17, 12:30 PM #20
Yoshi, an opinion of tastes can't be wrong.

If someone says they like spinach better than ice cream, they're not ****ing wrong. It's impossible. There is no absolute standard by which food likeability is ranked. Same with other tastes. Video games, music, etc.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-08-17, 3:23 PM #21
elementary school told me what an opinion is and that you can't say an opinion is wrong :confused:
visit my project

"I wonder to myself. Why? Simply why? Why why? Why do I ask why? Why do I need to find out why? Why do I have to ask why as a question? Why is why always used to find out why? Why is the answer to why always why? Why is there no final answer to why? Simply why not? Holy cow, this is pretty deep, meaningful **** I wrote. Glad I wrote it down. Oh man."
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ [slog], Echoman
2005-08-17, 3:45 PM #22
To let you guys know, I already have a level 60 paladin on WoW so I know what the end game is like. When you're level 60, the only activities left for you to do is either raid dungeons for loot, go raid PvP a town/city/battleground, do epic quests for epic weapons/armor/mount, or just try to finish off all your professions. Its kinda boring to tell the truth, especially when you're a paladin. Most of the people I met in the game usually just go roll a new char whenever they hit 60 because you can only do so much while at level 60 before you get real bored.

As for other MMOs mentioned, I'm not to interested any any others that aren't in the poll. I hear FFXI is very group oriented but I'm mostly for a MMO that is more solo friendly. Planetside sounds interesting but I rather stick to RPGs for now. I tried SWG a year ago and I lost interest in the game pretty fast. I heard it changed a lot though but I don't have my heart set on that for now. I'm trying out Anarchy Online atm (its a free game until 2006) but so far I'm not liking the game much. The interface is kind of a mess (despite reconfiguring it) and the graphics are pretty ugly.

Well, at this point, I'm leaning towards just renewing WoW for maybe another month when the next patch comes out just to level up my hunter and rogue chars to level 60 (the hunter is 57 and the rogue is 54, shouldn't take too long). Then after that I'll probably get Guild Wars since its only 50 bucks and no monthly fee so I can play that game at my own pace.
2005-08-17, 4:07 PM #23
Yoshi, an opinion of tastes can't be wrong.

If someone says they like spinach better than ice cream, they're not ****ing wrong. It's impossible. There is no absolute standard by which food likeability is ranked. Same with other tastes. Video games, music, etc.

Someone can't pick up sarcasm. I'll give you guys THREE guesses who.
D E A T H
2005-08-17, 4:55 PM #24
Er, pardon me, but what'd the point of getting a MMO and paying monthly so that you can solo? Why not just play a single player game?
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2005-08-17, 5:04 PM #25
Originally posted by UltimatePotato:
Er, pardon me, but what'd the point of getting a MMO and paying monthly so that you can solo? Why not just play a single player game?

No no, I didn't mean I only wanted to solo all the time. I have no problem with playing in groups. That's what I did like 90% of the time I played in WoW (I was an officer in a guild after all). I'm just looking for a MMO that doesn't require you to group for every freaking quest - something more solo friendly, that's all. Is that too much to ask?
2005-08-17, 5:13 PM #26
Originally posted by SavageX378:
something more solo friendly, that's all. Is that too much to ask?

Of course not. I've just seen people that do nothing but solo and I've never understood it. I think messing around with other people is half the fun, myself.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2005-08-17, 5:18 PM #27
Yoshi and Freelancer seem to enjoy having long drawn out discussions on opinion. Perhaps we should make a forum just for them?
2005-08-17, 6:23 PM #28
We should make a forum that is evolved around throwind insults and opinions left and right.

Or, we can just renamed the Disscussion Forum to "Incoherent Blabbering" like I suggested for a while now.
2005-08-17, 6:52 PM #29
Perhaps we should make a forum just for your face.
2005-08-17, 7:14 PM #30
OH SNAP!
D E A T H
2005-08-17, 7:32 PM #31
You are the only person i have ever heard say that outside of the movie Dodgeball.
This is not the sig you are looking for. Move along.
2005-08-17, 7:49 PM #32
You need to get out more.
2005-08-17, 8:57 PM #33
Damn, can't someone buy a MMO without people thinking he has no life just because of the nature of MMOs being time sinks?
2005-08-17, 9:55 PM #34
Not you Savage, I play World of WarCraft as well, but I was talking about Macro never hearing the phrase "Oh Snap" outside of the movie "Dodgeball".
2005-08-17, 11:39 PM #35
Galaxies!!!

ugh....if i had broadband.....but noooooo the place i decided to move doesn't get service.....despite the fact it's only leik 10 miles away......grrr....
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
2005-08-18, 2:10 PM #36
Man if you want a MMO that is solo oriented SWG is your thing now.

They just released a publish that makes the game totally possible for solo players. And they added Kashyyk, which is nothing but quests and instances. You can really get whatever you could possibly be looking for out of SWG these days. It really covers all of the bases now.
>>untie shoes
2005-08-18, 2:18 PM #37
...SWG sucks. It gets really boring after a few days.
2005-08-18, 2:33 PM #38
That's quite constructive, not to mention well thought out.

I'm glad we finally realize the truth. "SWG sucks." Why? Anovis says so! That's really a relief to know the truth. It's so weird that I enjoy this sucky game that gets boring after a few days, because, who knows, it could be because I played it for more than a few days because anyone with a two ounces of brains would know that there is more to any mmo than you can find in a few days, not to mention that whole adding content with each publish thing. Of course it would never occur to anyone that the game has changed. You know, you didn't like it when you played it, but look at it this way, my monthly fee went to good use because they've seriously revamped the entire game and it's a ton better than it used to be. But hey, maybe it's just me.
>>untie shoes
2005-08-18, 2:35 PM #39
Anyone who says SWG sucks based on when they played it 1 year ago.. don't know WTF they're talking about. MMOs change.
2005-08-18, 2:36 PM #40
Exactly what I said in many less words, and probably a whole less combative.

:)
>>untie shoes

↑ Up to the top!