Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Is Bush gonna run for a third term?
Is Bush gonna run for a third term?
2005-08-17, 10:57 PM #1
My brother and I are argueing over whether or not Bush can run for a third term. My bro says that two terms is the limit, but I'm pretty sure that since we are at war Bush can run for a third and however many more it takes till operations in Iraq are finished. What is the truth?
2005-08-17, 10:59 PM #2
Under the 22nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution no president may serve more than two terms. If he were to get a third term, he would need to get the Constitution amended so that the 22nd Amendment is abolished. To do so, he'd need 2/3 of BOTH houses and 3/4 of states ratifying it.

Snowball's chance in hell of that.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-08-17, 11:00 PM #3
Two is the limit.

Thank Heavens.
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2005-08-17, 11:01 PM #4
Okay, well I lose...sorta. :/
2005-08-17, 11:04 PM #5
Originally posted by Delphian:
Okay, well I lose...sorta. :/

No not sorta. You just lose.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2005-08-17, 11:09 PM #6
wham bam what the **** just happened!?

SOMEONE NAME THE MOVIE!! ^^^

that's what we'll do, since this thread is over with, we'll recycle it into a "name the movie quote" thread

start guessing!
2005-08-17, 11:18 PM #7
Not Another Teen Movie ?
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2005-08-17, 11:40 PM #8
I wouldn't be surprised if Bush pulled it off.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-08-17, 11:47 PM #9
A person is not limited to two terms in the office of the presidency. He/she is allowed 10 years to be a president - this is to account for those who may be VP for 2 and rise to president for 2 years.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-08-17, 11:58 PM #10
Originally posted by KOP_Snake:
Not Another Teen Movie ?

you win! now post a quote.
2005-08-18, 12:44 AM #11
Stop being president of my thread! I shall decide the fate of it! :p

Post pictures of Bush.
2005-08-18, 12:59 AM #12
Originally posted by Delphian:
Post pictures of Bush.

Hehehehe
>>untie shoes
2005-08-18, 1:34 AM #13
.....didnt you learn about the Constitution in school? I'm sorry, but if you're a US citizen and passed 3rd grade (when they started teaching proper Civics) then you shouldn't have questions like this, or at least hide your stupidity by using google.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-08-18, 4:20 AM #14
I agree with Schming. Basic politics should be beaten into everyone. I think it's appauling if you don't know the basic politics of your country.
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2005-08-18, 4:28 AM #15
Well like others said, according to this, he can't. Walken 4TW.
"Whats that for?" "Thats the machine that goes 'ping'" PING!
Q. How many testers does it take to change a light bulb?
A. We just noticed the room was dark; we don't actually fix the problems.
MCMF forever.
2005-08-18, 5:42 AM #16
Prior to the 22nd ammendment, however, which presidents did serve more than two terms? I vaguely recall one...

Also, I find it rather depressing that many native (in the sense they were born here) Americans wouldn't be able to pass the U.S. citizenship test.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-08-18, 6:05 AM #17
Yes. Good ol' FDR. He was pretty much the reason a 22nd amendment was passed.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-08-18, 6:13 AM #18
What, they didn't like the New Deal?? ...or maybe it was the teapot dome :o
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-08-18, 6:15 AM #19
Originally posted by Wolfy:
Yes. Good ol' FDR. He was pretty much the reason a 22nd amendment was passed.

That may be the only good thing he did (well, I agree with going to World War II, so that's II. But he went in for the wrong reasons)
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2005-08-18, 8:11 AM #20
I hope we have better choices in 2008 than we had last year.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-08-18, 8:21 AM #21
Originally posted by Jedigreedo:
I hope we have better choices in 2008 than we had last year.

I'm hoping with you.
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2005-08-18, 8:23 AM #22
Wow, I think I'd have to kill myself if Bush was allowed to run for a third term. Or at least emigrate.
"Art is a lie that makes us to realize the truth."
- Pablo Picasso

blog thingamajig
2005-08-18, 8:28 AM #23
Bill CLinton was interviewed a while ago talking about ways he could scheme his way back into the white house. Fer Instance:
Repeal the limiting amendment
Run as Vice Presidential candidate, and have presidential candidate step down upon election

-I can't remember the other ways. I find it hillarious that of all the presidents, Billy Clinton is the one who's been thinking this stuff up while watching the news. I know a lot of Americans must.
2005-08-18, 9:01 AM #24
Originally posted by mscbuck:
But he went in for the wrong reasons

retaliation against japan is the wrong reason? c'mon buck. seriously.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2005-08-18, 9:46 AM #25
Originally posted by bearded_jarl:
Run as Vice Presidential candidate, and have presidential candidate step down upon election

But if that happened soon after the election, he would go over the 10 year limit.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2005-08-18, 9:51 AM #26
"I assure you, the Senate will vote to continue the war as long as Zarqawi is alive."

"The Senate is expected to vote more executive powers to the President today. "
2005-08-18, 9:57 AM #27
If Bush got re-elected again.. I would label the American public retarded. :rolleyes:
2005-08-18, 10:17 AM #28
He could just appoint himself president in an "emergancy action" while the congress is on vacation.

I'm looking at you John Bolton
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2005-08-18, 10:18 AM #29
Originally posted by Tempermental:
If Bush got re-elected again.. I would label the American public retarded.

A lot of people I know already have.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2005-08-18, 10:18 AM #30
A president would loose all his credibility if he tried to do that. Though, come to think of it, I can't think of any good candidates for 08.
2005-08-18, 10:21 AM #31
I'll tell you who won't be running: Dick Cheney. And I won't vote for Hillary unless Lucifer himself was opposing her. And even then I might just vote 3rd party.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2005-08-18, 10:22 AM #32
Hillary won't win primaries. I'd put my left soul on the table for that.

Edit: Unless she runs unopposed. Or against Kerry or Dean.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2005-08-18, 10:25 AM #33
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
A president would loose all his credibility if he tried to do that. Though, come to think of it, I can't think of any good candidates for 08.
\

McCAIN
--Garrison Keillor
2005-08-18, 10:26 AM #34
Originally posted by Ford:
retaliation against japan is the wrong reason? c'mon buck. seriously.

No, to get out of the awful economic depression that he himself made worse.

Besides, all the evidence is piling up that Pearl Harbor could've been prevented easily. This isn't just crappy "i heard" evidence too. Documents have been found (although the government still has holds on some since it hasn't become public information yet), people interviewed, the strangest "coincidences". Our intelligence in World War II was amazing, but with the US getting documents straight out warning of Japanese attack, we decide to ignore it?

For four straight weeks before Pearl Harbor, all the ships had been giving warning, that they needed to have the biolers going in case of attack. December 6th and 7th, they for some reason don't get that order?

FDR orders the ships in Pearl Harbor to stay in the bay, even though he received constant warnings from the Admiral there that they were totally unprotected from air attacks.

He's been quoted many a times saying that if the Japanese would not have attacked, he wouldn't of gotten into the war. "Everything was done to "force" an incident to justifty hostilities". He said that at the Atlantic Conference 4 months before Pearl Harbor. Seeing as how Pearl Harbor was the only "incident" that year...

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/6315/pearl.html

The people's motive to get into the war was by retalliation, FDRs was not.

2005-08-18, 10:33 AM #35
Originally posted by Wolfy:
A person is not limited to two terms in the office of the presidency. He/she is allowed 10 years to be a president - this is to account for those who may be VP for 2 and rise to president for 2 years.

Actually it's 2 terms or 10 years.

Walken for '08!
2005-08-18, 10:34 AM #36
It's one of those "Bin Laden determined to attack inside the United States" documents. The president probally got so much information and misinformation about attacks it was difficult to protect everything.

Not to mention he wanted to go to war and may have allowed pearl harbor to happen so he could go to war, there had been so much military build up at the time that this obviously a plausible theory.
--Garrison Keillor
2005-08-18, 11:11 AM #37
Thank you Delphian, the title of this thread gave me the best laugh I've had all day. And no, he isn't.
*This post has been edited for content.
2005-08-18, 11:23 AM #38
Originally posted by scelestus:
Thank you Delphian, the title of this thread gave me the best laugh I've had all day. And no, he isn't.

Dude that's kinda depressing.

About Walken for president - I'd probably vote him, he's kinda badass. Harrison Ford would be cool as well, or maybe Samuel L. Jackson.
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2005-08-18, 11:26 AM #39
Originally posted by Tenshu:
Dude that's kinda depressing.

About Walken for president - I'd probably vote him, he's kinda badass. Harrison Ford would be cool as well, or maybe Samuel L. Jackson.

Samuel L Jackson would be awesome...

"VOTE FOR ME MUTHA*******!"

2005-08-18, 11:28 AM #40
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:

http://walken2008.com/

↑ Up to the top!