Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → There is NO WAY this just happened.
There is NO WAY this just happened.
2005-09-23, 2:24 PM #1
So I am working on a MOHAA map, and im on a roll. Mappers, you know the "roll" im talking about, where you are just in the creative "zone" and could work for hours without a break constantly spewing out new creative ideas and layouts.

But heres the catch. There is a quarter sitting on my window cill. Yes, you heard me, a QUARTER. *gasp* A United States 25 cent piece.

My blinds (which are open in the picture) are closed. The window is open behind the blinds, and today happens to be quite a windy day. There is a sudden gust, which pushes the blinds inward to my room. This knocks the quarter of the cill, which then falls on my desk, and then bounces through the 1/4 inch crack between my desk and my wall.

[http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/7758/wellshiiiiit3fa.jpg]

Bye bye work. All motivation lost. Wont be mapping for at least another couple weeks. :mad: :confused: :gbk:
2005-09-23, 2:28 PM #2
Your pain just made my day.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2005-09-23, 2:29 PM #3
Hahahahaha. Sucks to be you, funnily.
2005-09-23, 2:31 PM #4
Sorry, but that's kind of funny. Didn't you save at all? Didn't you have Radiant's auto save on?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-09-23, 2:31 PM #5
That's what autosave is for!!
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2005-09-23, 2:55 PM #6
I know its funny, thats why I posted it. Its just painful, and I was able to recover some of my work with autosave but not most of it. Bah!
2005-09-23, 3:06 PM #7
Ctrl+S is your friend and savior.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-09-23, 3:19 PM #8
That's some seriously bad luck...
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-09-23, 3:26 PM #9
Yeah, what are the chances of that happening?
Stuff
2005-09-23, 3:31 PM #10
"God just went [click]"
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-09-23, 3:35 PM #11
Wow!

Also, I don't think books are a good place to put a power cord.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-09-23, 3:43 PM #12
That's nuts. :eek:
Pissed Off?
2005-09-23, 3:48 PM #13
Crazy.
2005-09-23, 3:57 PM #14
Your last name isn't "*" is it? My family has that luck. always.

but yeah..that's really sucks *stifles a laugh*
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-09-23, 4:05 PM #15
hahaha, great misfortune, though, would a quarter be able to get enough velocity to be able to get the switch to turn?
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-09-23, 4:09 PM #16
Money cost you time, not time is money.
2005-09-23, 4:14 PM #17
Originally posted by Genki:
hahaha, great misfortune, though, would a quarter be able to get enough velocity to be able to get the switch to turn?

well genki, gravity is 9.8 meters per second^2

you tell me
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2005-09-23, 4:27 PM #18
Well, assuming no air resistance, a quarter (5.67 grams) falling a meter would achieve a velocity of 4.43 m/s... this translates to a kinetic energy of 0.111 J. I have no idea whether that's enough to flip the switch or not.
Stuff
2005-09-23, 4:31 PM #19
Aha! In true Mythbusters fashion, I dropped a bunch of quarters on a power strip from about a meter; and one of them managed to depress the switch enough to make the little "reset" thingy pop out, which means it would have turned off.

Now I have to go clean up all those quarters.
Stuff
2005-09-23, 5:03 PM #20
Originally posted by kyle90:
Aha! In true Mythbusters fashion, I dropped a bunch of quarters on a power strip from about a meter; and one of them managed to depress the switch enough to make the little "reset" thingy pop out, which means it would have turned off.

Now I have to go clean up all those quarters.

It's not in true Mythbusters fashion unless you construct a Rube Goldberg machine to drop the quarters!
I'm just a little boy.
2005-09-23, 5:06 PM #21
Yeah, and I didn't blow up a crash test dummy either.
Stuff
2005-09-23, 5:21 PM #22
And you didn't launch a quarter at 84.67 mph at it to demolish it either.
2005-09-23, 6:10 PM #23
Originally posted by kyle90:
Yeah, and I didn't blow up a crash test dummy either.

He prefers to be called "Buster."
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-09-23, 6:17 PM #24
Originally posted by Echoman:
Wow!

Also, I don't think books are a good place to put a power cord.

*cough* Fire hazard *cough*

Yeah bad luck man. I have had that happen in power outage before(I used to use the Build editor years ago).
No sig.
2005-09-23, 6:24 PM #25
Originally posted by Genki:

Considering it DID, I think the answer might just be "yes".

Anyways, I had a similar problem, but I wasn't working on anything important. it was just annoying...I had my foot resting near the power bar and my big toe momentarily twitched just enough to directly turn off the button. Quite annoying.
2005-09-23, 6:33 PM #26
Originally posted by 7:
well genki, gravity is 9.8 meters per second^2

you tell me

But that's only after terminal velocity, isn't it?

A coin falling 4 feet is hardly going to reach it's terminal velocity! :p
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2005-09-23, 6:35 PM #27
gravity is an acceleration, not velocity.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2005-09-23, 7:33 PM #28
Big thing you should be considering: not all power strips have the same amount of resistance on the power button.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-09-23, 7:49 PM #29
And due to wear from use, not all quarters have exactly the same mass. We need more tests.
2005-09-23, 7:59 PM #30
Well, I dropped probably close to 50 quarters... I have three power bars but to test the other two would require turning off my computer. I've at least shown that it's plausible though.
Stuff
2005-09-23, 8:14 PM #31
Isn't this precisely why man created the battery backup? So that when power is cut, you have at least a few short minutes to save everything before it dies?

Oh how I love my UPS.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2005-09-23, 8:47 PM #32
Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
Isn't this precisely why man created the battery backup? So that when power is cut, you have at least a few short minutes to save everything before it dies?

Oh how I love my UPS.

I love my house backup system. Down near the main breaker, the house has this one HUGE *** battery that is connected to specific outlets like the ones I have my electronics on. It won't hold 4 computers for 30 minutes, but it prevents the "2-second" power outages (I think it'll work for about 3 minutes with all the comps on) from wiping you out.
SpamBlogger
"u r dumb, stop or ill sue u
- jak thomsun

p.s. ur gay" - Victor Van Dort

New disclaimer - Any brain damage suffered as a result of typographical errors is the reader's liability.
2005-09-23, 9:08 PM #33
Well, for those tests to be accurate, you would have to use my model of power strip. And this power button just happens to be EXTREMELY sensitive, it is NOT the typical power strip "button"
2005-09-23, 9:09 PM #34
Oh man, I hate it when you lose all the work from your Roll.

When I'm writing like that, and I lose power for somereason, I usually get pretty pissed and angry.

:mad:
2005-09-23, 9:12 PM #35
Originally posted by FancyMan:
I love my house backup system. Down near the main breaker, the house has this one HUGE *** battery that is connected to specific outlets like the ones I have my electronics on. It won't hold 4 computers for 30 minutes, but it prevents the "2-second" power outages (I think it'll work for about 3 minutes with all the comps on) from wiping you out.

That's pretty cool, but how do you know when the power goes out? :p
2005-09-23, 9:38 PM #36
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
']That's pretty cool, but how do you know when the power goes out? :p

It's called light, and the electronic ones go out with the power. And the shouts of other people when the things they're in the middle of stop because power goes out.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-09-23, 9:41 PM #37
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
It's called light, and the electronic ones go out with the power. And the shouts of other people when the things they're in the middle of stop because power goes out.

Umm maybe I didn't read his whole post? MAYBE THAT? You have to think of these things before you start acting all condescending dude.
2005-09-23, 9:44 PM #38
']Umm maybe I didn't read his whole post? MAYBE THAT? You have to think of these things before you start acting all condescending dude.

Sorry...didn't mean it to rip your head off. I meant it jokingly, not trying to make you look like an ***.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-09-23, 10:12 PM #39
Yeah well, it's people like you who make my time on Massassi so miserable...I don't know if I can take it around here much longer. :mad:
2005-09-24, 1:18 AM #40
']Yeah well, it's people like you who make my time on Massassi so miserable...I don't know if I can take it around here much longer. :mad:

Now we have to be careful not to drop the last quarter that would break Thrawn[camel]'s back...
Frozen in the past by ICARUS

↑ Up to the top!