Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The art of the mixed tape
The art of the mixed tape
2005-09-28, 4:54 AM #1
Im trying to make a mixed tape for this girl i like. It's her birthday tomorrow. has anybody else ever made a mixed tape. Im a n00b when it comes to girls, how much romantic crap should i put on there? any suggestions/tips?
Take that there and put it in here
2005-09-28, 5:25 AM #2
A mix tape? What is this, the 90's? Burn her a CD, dude.

As for "romantic crap", I'd usually say just ask her out and worry about that stuff later, but the fact that her birthday is tomorrow makes it harder because you feel compelled to get her something.... I dunno. Yeah, I'll stick with my original assessment. If you like her, just ask her out. That way if she says no, you don't have to waste a perfectly good tape.
Stuff
2005-09-28, 9:13 AM #3
"The making of a great compilation tape, like breaking up, is hard to do and takes ages longer than it might seem. You gotta kick off with a killer, to grab attention. Then you got to take it up a notch, but you don't wanna blow your wad, so then you got to cool it off a notch. There are a lot of rules."

<3 High Fidelity
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2005-09-28, 10:19 AM #4
Are you seriously making a tape for her or a real cd? Cause for real, dawg, ain't nobody but some broke *** fools use tapes anymore.

I recently made a mixtape for a girl I'm dating and I would suggest to go with more of the fun theme rather than the love theme. In fact, I'll even post my playlist so you can copy it and use it to get some. It works. I bolded the ones that you should definitely consider.

Schming's "Girl" playlist:

1. Travis - Hit Me Baby One More Time
2. Beck - Girl
3. Cake - Stickshifts and Safety Belts

4. The Films - Big Mistake
5. Louis XIV - Finding Out True Love is Blind
6. Franz Ferdinand - The Dark of the Matinee
7. The Killers - Change Your Mind

8. Keane - Bend and Break
9. Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
10. Phantom Planet - Hey Now Girl
11. The Features - That's the Way It's Meant to Be
12. Stereophonics - Dakota
13. Starsailor - Four to the Floor

14. Daniel Powter - Bad Day
15. Butch Walker - Mixtape
16. Muse - Unintended
17. Damien Rice - The Blower's Daughter
<--- turns girlies to mush. Who doesn't like this song? (who still has a soul)?

you should also consider adding Tenacious D - **** Her Gently

then go to urbandictionary.com and look up mixtape and write some of the definitions on the case cause they're funny/sweet.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-09-28, 10:29 AM #5
http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/avenueq/mixtape.htm
:em321:
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2005-09-28, 10:41 AM #6
Catch 22 - Kristina
along with this suggestion, throw in a silly song, or somethin everyone(she) will want to sing along with or have fun with:

The Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive
The Darkness - I Believe in a Thing Called Love
Relient K - The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything
anything by the aquabats
Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc
plus any other assorted

but noting taistless, like weird al, unless she's into that, then go for it

i do not suggest putting any Soul-Junk or Scatared Few (unless it's from "grandmother's spaceship) on it, and stay away from Linkin Park in general... Incubus for that matter. eh, what ever.

do make sure that the songs flow well together, and work togethre as a whole cd, not just as individual good songs.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2005-09-28, 10:50 AM #7
Add Snow Patrol - How To Be Dead to it!
nope.
2005-09-28, 1:16 PM #8
Originally posted by Elana14:
Catch 22 - Kristina

Ha, I played that song for my brother on the way to school for about a month after he broke up with a girl named Kristina... he hates that song to say the least.
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2005-09-28, 1:18 PM #9
Snyder FTW. Women love Snyder.
2005-09-28, 1:40 PM #10
Getting her favorite song of all time on there is a must.
Pissed Off?
2005-09-28, 1:56 PM #11
The reason im not making her a mixed cd as thats far to easy and i want to woo her with somthing that hand made but has class. as for asking her out, screw that. i asked her out for coffee awhile back but she said she like some other dude which she doesn't now so this is my chance to win some brownie points with giving her a birthday present. heres my playlist so far, i was thinking as putting in 'let your love flow' by the bellamy brothers as the comdey track.

1. Underoath - When the Sun Sleeps (5:33)
2. Neil Young - Heart of Gold (3:07)
3. Roy Buchanan - The Messiah Will Come Again (4:09)
4. Copeland - When Paula Sparks (4:54)
5. Saves The Day - Nightingale (3:38)
6. As Cities Burn - The Widow (3:51)
7. Underoath - Some Will Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape (4:21)
8. Foo Fighters - Everlong (4:10)
9. As Cities Burn - Of Want And Misery: The Nothing That Kills (6:38)
10. Jimmy Eat World - Lucky Denver Mint (3:25)
11. Dead Poetic - Glass In The Trees (5:02)
12. Cake - The Distance (3:02)
13. America - I Need You (3:05)
14. Copeland - California (5:26)
15. Laymen Terms - 3 Weeks In (6:43)
16. Throwdown - Hurray (4:42)
17. Underoath - And I Dreamt of You (11:22)

some of these songs im not sure of, like that jimmy eat world one.
2005-09-28, 2:01 PM #12
take off number 12.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2005-09-28, 2:07 PM #13
i would, but her friend told me she likes cake, so i want to surprise her with it. and what the hell is wrong with you guys, im not putting ska on there. i hate ska.
2005-09-28, 2:09 PM #14
Originally posted by Elana14:
take off number 12.

Haha, that's the same thing I thought when I read the list...
Stuff
2005-09-28, 2:30 PM #15
Just cause you hate ska doesn't mean she does. Pretty much every girl I know loves ska, even if just a little bit. But if she likes As Cities Burn and Throwdown, maybe she won't. :o
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2005-09-28, 2:45 PM #16
That Throwdown song is just a pinao playing btw.
2005-09-28, 2:54 PM #17
I was going to suggest you remove all the songs that suck, but then you wouldn't have much of a list.

[/flamebait]
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-09-28, 3:02 PM #18
I dont think your mom would be impressed if i gave her a mixed tape with nothing on it.
2005-09-28, 4:00 PM #19
Pissed Off?
2005-09-28, 4:05 PM #20
whats wrong with soul junk?
2005-09-28, 4:45 PM #21
[QUOTE=stinkey diver]I dont think your mom would be impressed if i gave her a mixed tape with nothing on it.[/QUOTE]

Win!
2005-09-28, 5:54 PM #22
Well the tape is done and the text message is sent saying i have a present for her. i hope it all goes well..
Heres the final playlist

1. Underoath - When the Sun Sleeps (5:33)
2. Neil Young - Heart of Gold (3:07)
3. Roy Buchanan - The Messiah Will Come Again (4:11)
4. Copeland - When Paula Sparks (4:54)
5. Foo Fighters - Everlong (4:10)
6. As Cities Burn - The Widow (3:29)
7. Underoath - Some Will Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape (4:21)
8. As Cities Burn - Of Want And Misery: The Nothing That Kills (6:38)
9. Dead Poetic - Glass In The Trees (5:02)
10. America - I Need You (3:05)
11. Cake - The Distance (3:02)
12. Saves The Day - Nightingale (3:38)
13. Laymen Terms - 3 Weeks In (6:43)
14. Copeland - California (5:26)
15. Throwdown - Hurray (4:06)
16. Underoath - And I Dreamt of You (11:22)
2005-09-28, 6:00 PM #23
[http://photos1.blogger.com/img/212/2972/640/turntables.jpg]
一个大西瓜
2005-09-28, 6:36 PM #24
Originally posted by kyle90:
A mix tape? What is this, the 90's? Burn her a CD, dude.

Damn you! I SO came on this thread to post that exact sentence!
2005-09-28, 6:40 PM #25
System of a Down - Cigaro

Chicks dig that song.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-09-28, 6:46 PM #26
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort]System of a Down - Cigaro

Chicks dig that song.[/QUOTE]
None that I know. They all like aerials
And yeah, a tape may seem nice to you cuz it's handmade and all...but what are the chances she has a tape deck in her car (if she has one) or at home, or a portable one...
I can almost guarantee she has a portable cd player, oh well.

Your playlist is decent. I consider myself a level 10 shinobi of mix-tapes/cds, so that's just my level 10 $0.02.

And yeah, the advice taken from hi-fi is a good starting place. Good luck

p.s. cds sound better
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-09-28, 6:53 PM #27
not to play devil's advocate here or anything... but wouldn't this be considered copyright infringement? (and thus unsuitable Massassi Forums conversation)
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2005-09-28, 6:54 PM #28
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
not to play devil's advocate here or anything... but wouldn't this be considered copyright infringement? (and thus unsuitable Massassi Forums conversation)

Making mix tapes for private use (non-profit) is legal under the fair use law. Supreme court ruled so over some record company or something a ways back. I forgot the details, but as long as he isn't selling it why should it be a problem?

That is, if he's paid for all those songs.
</sarcasm>
2005-09-28, 7:34 PM #29
Or you could give her a dozen of the ripest pineapples.
2005-09-28, 7:36 PM #30
Quote:
Making mix tapes for private use (non-profit) is legal under the fair use law. Supreme court ruled so over some record company or something a ways back. I forgot the details, but as long as he isn't selling it why should it be a problem?

That is, if he's paid for all those songs.
hmm, then not to bring us off topic, but why is that different than illegal file sharing? No one's making a profit off that either.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2005-09-28, 7:50 PM #31
Because illegal file sharing is illegal. Creating a remix of things you already own is perfectly legal. Creating a mix of stuff you don't own is not legal.

Also, if she turned you down for a COFFEE date because she "liked some other guy," I wouldn't count on earning too many brownie points. It sounds like she's already made up her mind about you, and a thoughtful birthday present isn't going to change it.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2005-09-28, 7:55 PM #32
aye, but if it's ok to make a digital copy for him to distribute to his friend through a cd, why is it not ok for him to make a digital copy for him to distribute to his friends over the internet?

I'm not taking a side on this one way or another. I'm just trying to understand how they rationalize it being illegal.

2005-09-28, 8:00 PM #33
aye, but if it's ok to make a digital copy for him to distribute to his friend through a cd, why is it not ok for him to make a digital copy for him to distribute to his friends over the internet?

I'm not taking a side on this one way or another. I'm just trying to understand how they rationalize it being illegal.

Technically it's not ok to give it away, for "personal use only"
I've never seen anything wrong with giving mix tapes/cds and stuff for gifts though.
</sarcasm>
2005-09-28, 8:06 PM #34
Now the trouble comes if she still has a tape player.

"I brought you a mix tape! I love you!"

"That's nice, I don't have a tape player. How come you didn't make me a CD?"

Bwahhaahaaahah
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2005-09-28, 11:05 PM #35
yes but with a cd she can skip tracks etc.. i dont want that, i want her to sit there and listen to the whole thing. also she didnt turn me down for coffe she said she was still keen to do somthing.
2005-09-29, 1:35 AM #36
[QUOTE=stinkey diver] how much romantic crap should i put on there? [/QUOTE]

Very, Very little. The best way to kill your chances is to give her this sappy love song mix. Until you've been with her for awhile, i wouldn't recommend doing any of that cliche romantic s***.
2005-09-29, 2:02 AM #37
well quite abit of it was emoish romantic stuff and ive been informed that she likes it so things are looking good :)
2005-09-29, 5:42 AM #38
hmm, then not to bring us off topic, but why is that different than illegal file sharing? No one's making a profit off that either.

Wasn't this always the whole controversy around file sharing? It was a loop-hole that allowed people to share their music, like you said. That's why many countries changed their laws.
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-09-29, 8:18 AM #39
[QUOTE=Mr. Stafford]whats wrong with soul junk?[/QUOTE]
nothing, infact there a most enlightineng band, but thay wont help anyone pick up chicks.
2005-09-29, 8:45 AM #40
[QUOTE=stinkey diver]well quite abit of it was emoish romantic stuff and ive been informed that she likes it so things are looking good :)[/QUOTE]

I still wouldn't do it.

↑ Up to the top!