Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → My grades...
My grades...
2005-09-28, 4:25 PM #1
My grades are... All A's in every class but... English. For some reason I can get an A- in Geometry but get an F in English... Everyone is always shocked to hear I'm so good at math. Whats wrong with me? I love math but hate English when every one of my friends loves English. Any support or ideas?
2005-09-28, 4:26 PM #2
geometry is like tying your shoes compared to the math to come. Don't get cocky...
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-09-28, 4:28 PM #3
I never studied in Algebra 1 or now in Geometry and it's easy as !@#$. The only reason I'm getting an A- is I lost some homework assignments
2005-09-28, 4:33 PM #4
I was the same in high school... well, I wasn't doing so poorly as to be getting F's in English, but it was definitely my consistently lowest mark.

And yeah, don't assume that because you can do high school math, you're "good" at math. I was always amazingly good in highschool math; got the highest marks in all my classes; got ranked 23rd in Canada for a math contest I wrote in grade 11... then I came to university and nearly failed first year calculus.

The moral of the story: high school sucks balls, and is entirely irrelevant even to university.
Stuff
2005-09-28, 4:33 PM #5
..seriously, geometry is quite literally the easiest math class that exists, especially if you have an easy teacher. Consider this: I've never gotten an A in any math class, ever. Except, you guessed it, Geometry in which I received an A+. I guarantee you will not find the math to come so easy.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-09-28, 4:36 PM #6
English and math require differnt kinds of thinking. What part of English is it that is so troubling? Definitely get some help with the subject though.
Pissed Off?
2005-09-28, 4:37 PM #7
I just hate writing stuff. Its that simple. I was wondering why.
2005-09-28, 4:38 PM #8
I didn't use a lot of Algebra in my Geometry class. Every once in a while we did some basic factoring, but that was it. I agree with Freelancer, Geometry was cake. It's mostly memorizing theorems that often take little more than simple arithmetic to apply.
2005-09-28, 4:39 PM #9
Of course that was way-back-when. All my geometry problems involve lots of Algebra. (I find Algebra easier than Geometry)
2005-09-28, 4:40 PM #10
Originally posted by Reid:
Of course that was way-back-when. All my geometry problems involve lots of Algebra. (I find Algebra easier than Geometry)

Way-back-when? I'm a junior in high school.
2005-09-28, 4:41 PM #11
I was assuming you were in college :( . I'm a freshman, and we just got these new Geometry books this year too
2005-09-28, 4:42 PM #12
Im the same as you, all A's in AP classes...C in english..
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2005-09-28, 4:43 PM #13
It's pretty hard to flunk an English class. Just do all the homework and you should be able to get at least a C...
2005-09-28, 4:44 PM #14
But... I'm the only person I know of that can use perfect polygons to create various curved hallways in a bad#$% level for a PC game, so it evens out.
2005-09-28, 4:45 PM #15
Uh.. Brian Lozier wrote a tutorial on that very subject while you were still taking naps in kindergarten...
2005-09-28, 4:46 PM #16
I never have homework. I finish all the work in class, but I lose it and woohoo here comes a big fat F.
2005-09-28, 4:47 PM #17
Yea I know. But do I know you? Or Brian Lozier? No I don't
2005-09-28, 4:47 PM #18
I think the exact opposite of what you guys think.

I did pretty poorly in Geometry, but I get near A / A+ grades in Adv. Algebra and Pre-Calc. I just hate Geometry.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2005-09-28, 4:48 PM #19
that's my point. Your comment means nothing since you don't know anyone
2005-09-28, 4:49 PM #20
I never have homework. I finish all the work in class, but I lose it and woohoo here comes a big fat F.

So in other words its not the fact that you are horrible at English, but that you have horrible organizational skills.
2005-09-28, 4:50 PM #21

I'm not sure how begging for help on an internet forum is going to prevent you from losing your homework. :p

Get a binder. Keep the binder in your backpack. Put the homework in the binder when you finish it. Problem solved.
2005-09-28, 4:52 PM #22
Yea I don't have good organization skills... but I'm not good at English either. I suck at English, I just can't remember to put a "." at the end of my sentences, I think things should be as short as possible, not long a drawn out and "lets see what they mean in the story". I'm just confused about it.
2005-09-28, 4:57 PM #23
..... if your posts are any indication you have far better grammar than most of the people here. I fail to see the problem.
2005-09-28, 5:08 PM #24
It's easier to put a period in place with a button, I'm saying I have a "lazy hand" and don't like putting punctuation in a sentance when I write and my teacher hates that. And why are you being so critcal of my feeble attempt for some advice? Well under extreme condition's a certain being could possibly consider it difficult to input useful and viable information to support and enlighten a youth during his stage of utter confusion. I apparently have good English skills I just don't find it useful to apply, it's so confusing to me.[http://img9.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scan00239nj.jpg]
2005-09-28, 5:15 PM #25
What a hoot!
2005-09-28, 5:15 PM #26
Type out your hoimework then.
Pissed Off?
2005-09-28, 5:16 PM #27
Well, in that case, learn to write neater and remember to punctuate. I don't think there's much more we can tell you.
2005-09-28, 5:17 PM #28
Write as small as possible if you want good handwriting. Then only get larger when the teachers ask. And don't be afraid to ramble on and on and on about some little detail in essays.
SpamBlogger
"u r dumb, stop or ill sue u
- jak thomsun

p.s. ur gay" - Victor Van Dort

New disclaimer - Any brain damage suffered as a result of typographical errors is the reader's liability.
2005-09-28, 5:17 PM #29
Thats a good Idea, I'll try that from now on unless my teacher complains. Isn't that the worst handwriting you've ever saw?
2005-09-28, 5:18 PM #30
Thats a good Idea, I'll try that from now on unless my teacher complains. Isn't that the worst handwriting you've ever saw?

Not worse than mine before I took the advice I just gave you.
SpamBlogger
- jak thomsun

New disclaimer - Any brain damage suffered as a result of typographical errors is the reader's liability.
2005-09-28, 5:19 PM #31
Freshman english? Freshman english is still like almost middle school english

High school english is past your english skills, it's more your analytical and reading comp skills and your ability to discern the meaning and intention and imagery and diction and crap about stuff from ANY style and author, not your own

you should have started to do that already, but it's all about putting YOUR writing skills and comprehension to use to prove stuff you decipher from ANY writing

And precalc is a *****. Maybe it's just me, but I ended the year BARELY scraping a B. calc = much nicer to me.
一个大西瓜
2005-09-28, 5:21 PM #32
Like John Steinback in "Of Mice and Men". I hated that story. I wanted Lennie to live
2005-09-28, 5:22 PM #33
Too bad. Get use to it.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-09-28, 5:24 PM #34
BTW, I'm in geometry and all of my tests so far came back >100%.

<3 Extra Credit.
SpamBlogger
- jak thomsun

2005-09-28, 5:25 PM #35
The point isn't the blatantly obvious parts of the plot, the point is the subtle stuff that you can only get by reading pretty slowly and critically and noticing word choice and the tone / structure of what the author writes, and why he chooses to mention one thing here, put an image of another thing there, etc

I don't remember anything about of mice and men, but if you read the catcher in the rye (which you should), that book is freaking FULL of tiny little bits of seemingly irrelevant stuff or things that you can't pick up without thinking about it that make it soo much better (and that you can bite into when you need to do analytical stuff).
一个大西瓜
2005-09-28, 5:25 PM #36
Originally posted by Freelancer:
..seriously, geometry is quite literally the easiest math class that exists, especially if you have an easy teacher. Consider this: I've never gotten an A in any math class, ever. Except, you guessed it, Geometry in which I received an A+. I guarantee you will not find the math to come so easy.

Maybe your teacher was a joke, and made you think it was easy. Your guage of it means nothing. I think Calculus 3 is the easiest math course ever invented.
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2005-09-28, 5:28 PM #37
Thats just it I can't focus on details like that. Thats why I'm failing. Well thanks for the help.
2005-09-28, 5:30 PM #38
Huh? Focusing and writing about the small details is easy. Learn how to BS it.
2005-09-28, 5:36 PM #39
No I can't put in enough time mentally to put in small deatils in my work, I just skip details until later which by then I've moved on to more important things(Myspace... gotta do Myspace...)
2005-09-28, 5:37 PM #40
You BS doing blogs, so just apply the BS in your papers.

↑ Up to the top!