Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Should Men have a choice too?
Should Men have a choice too?
2005-10-01, 1:13 AM #1
From

[url]http://www.canadiancrc.com/articles...br /> FEB02.htm[/url]

(the link is no longer available at this time, so I mirrored it here)

Quote:

houldn't Men Have a Choice, Too?
The Los Angeles Daily Journal and the San Francisco Daily Journal, U.S., by Glenn Sacks, February 18, 2002,

Jennifer was crushed when she was told that a baby was on the way. She wants to have children, but the right way--after she has found the right person and is married. But in Jennifer's country, she has no choice. "Jenn" cannot give the child up for adoption, and she cannot terminate the pregnancy. It is her burden to bear, for the next two decades, like it or not.

What country is it which compels a person to have a child they don't want? Afghanistan? Saudi Arabia?

No, it's the United States--not for Jenn, but for Ken.

Ken Johnson, a 10 year veteran of the Seattle Fire Department, wanted to be a father, but with the right woman, and at the right time. Three years ago he and his wife separated after six years of marriage, and each began to date. During this time, according to court documents filed in Snohomish County, Washington, Ken had a brief affair with "Cathy," which resulted in a pregnancy. Ken's legal complaint alleges that he begged Cathy to put the child up for adoption or to terminate the pregnancy, but Cathy refused. Now Ken and his wife, who reconciled two and a half years ago, can't start a family of their own because almost half of Ken's net income from the Seattle Fire Department goes to support the child he didn't want to have. He says:

"People tell me that Cathy should have the choice whether to keep the child or not because it's her body so it's her choice. I agree. But what about my body? I make my living rushing into burning buildings. I put my life and my safety on the line every time I go to work, and now I'm on the hook for 18 years. With the child support demands on me, there's no way I'll ever be able to quit. What about my choice?"

Johnson is part of a growing movement of men who bristle at being "coerced fathers," and who have enlisted in a "Choice for Men" movement whose goals are every bit as legitimate as the goals of the women's reproductive rights movement. They note that one million American women legally walk away from motherhood every year by either adoption, abortion, or abandonment, and demand that men, like women, be given reproductive options. They point out that, unlike women, men have no reliable contraception available to them, since the failure rate of condoms is substantial, and vasectomies are generally only worthwhile for older men who have already married and had children. And they emphasize that, with long backlogs of stable, two-parent families looking for babies to adopt, there is no reason for any child born out of wedlock to a "coerced father" to be without a good home.

The Choice for Men movement seeks to give "coerced fathers" the right to relinquish their parental rights and responsibilities within a month of learning of a pregnancy, just as mothers do when they choose to give their children up for adoption. These men would be obligated to provide legitimate financial compensation to cover natal medical expenses, the mother's loss of income during pregnancy, etc. The right would only apply to pregnancies which occurred outside of marriage.

Some of those who fought for women's reproductive choices agree with choice for men. Karen DeCrow, former president of the National Organization for Women, writes:

"If a woman makes a unilateral decision to bring a pregnancy to term, and the biological father does not, and cannot, share in this decision, he should not be liable for 21 years of support ... autonomous women making independent decisions about their lives should not expect men to finance their choice."

To date, courts have refused to consider fathers' reproductive rights even in the most extreme cases, including: when child support is demanded from men who were as young as 12 when they were statutorily raped by older women; when women have taken the semen from a used condom and inserted it in themselves, including from condoms used only in oral sex; and when women concealed the pregnancy from the man (denying him the right to be a father) and then sued for back and current child support eight or ten years later.

"It doesn't make sense to me," Ken's wife Patti says. "The courts force my husband and I to support a child he never agreed to, but make it financially impossible for him to have a child with the woman he loves and married."

I think men should have a choice to waive all legal rights to a child that they don't want but are legally bound and forced to care for anyway. Prior to birth, men should have the option to sign papers that would void their rights as a parent and would render any obligations null and void. Now, I'm pro-life and I prefer adoption as an alternative to abortion, but i feel that the issue hasn't been looked at enough from the man's POV.

If one of us gets unlucky, or if the condom breaks (I feel that if you have unprotected sex when you aren't trying to get a kid, and you end up knocking her up, then you deserve to reap what you sow) then we are effectively trapped for the next 18-21 years, and we don't really have a say in the matter. Face it, THE DECK IS STACKED AGAINST MEN, THE LEGAL SYSTEM IS NO LONGER FAIR AND BALANCED. Men's rights get practically no consideration in the courtroom, and women have almost complete control over reproductive issues, and they routinely abuse this power to make men their wage slaves for 21 years. This is why I never date women with kids. Even when men do want their kids, men have to fight hard for custody and even visitation rights. THIS IS NOT JUSTICE.

I don't want to abort the kid if I can help it, but forcing me to provide for a kid that I don't want isn't right either (as it will financially ruin me and she is more apt to get custody) . I feel that it's time for a change, what do you think?
2005-10-01, 1:17 AM #2
Sure, more births, more babies to kill.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-10-01, 1:21 AM #3
Hey.. uh.. d00d. Women are routinely the ones that CARE for these precious little accidents. All men have to do is send some money each month. Women get the short end of the stick on that one.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-10-01, 1:27 AM #4
Originally posted by Freelancer:
Hey.. uh.. d00d. Women are routinely the ones that CARE for these precious little accidents. All men have to do is send some money each month. Women get the short end of the stick on that one.

It's not just "some money". For a lot of the time, its a signifigant portion of our income (In some cases, it could be 50%) , and we have to survive and meet our expenses on what is left. When you're trying to get through college, or in financially hard times, this can be DEVASTATING.

Women have the choice to give it up to adoption or abort, so they don't have to keep it if they don't want to. We have no such choice. Is that fair?

I've heard of women deliberately forgetting to take birth control in order to get knocked up and to force the man to commit. (it hapened to a friend of mine-- poor b******'s life is ruined) Men currently have no way out of this death trap, and our only defensive weapon is a little latex sleeve that is prone to failure.
2005-10-01, 1:30 AM #5
I would rather pay 50% of my income to some b**** than raise a kid. :p
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-10-01, 1:33 AM #6
Originally posted by Freelancer:
I would rather pay 50% of my income to some b**** than raise a kid. :p

If you could cut it, then that's great. What about the guys that can't?

Don't you just feel at least a LITTLE bit resentful that she is forcing you to do this, and you have no say in whether she keeps the kid or not? Aren't you pissed off that under the current laws, your life no longer belongs to you and it is effectively hers to ruin if she so wishes?
2005-10-01, 1:39 AM #7
I think men should have some say in what happens. After all, it takes two people to make a baby. In that sense, each person should have equal say in what happens to the kid.

As to the legal system, it has always been stacked in favor of the mother.
Pissed Off?
2005-10-01, 1:45 AM #8
Can they put you in jail for refusing to pay child support?
2005-10-01, 2:02 AM #9
Yes, the jails are full of guys who are delinquint in paying. It has to be one of the biggest reasons our jails are so full.
Ya know? Common sense? Not really that common...
2005-10-01, 2:12 AM #10
if you don't want a kid that bad, don't have sex
I know it's kind of harsh, and kind of hypocritical of me to say...but I'm having premarital sex but I know what the consequences are. If it happens, then it was my fault I'm not going to try and cop out of it. It's a great responsibility to take care of a kid, and if you're man enough to make it you better be man enough to help raise it (even if that means all you're doing is paying)
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-10-01, 3:14 AM #11
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
I've heard of women deliberately forgetting to take birth control in order to get knocked up and to force the man to commit. ... Men currently have no way out of this death trap, and our only defensive weapon is a little latex sleeve that is prone to failure.

You could try only having sex with people you trust.

Also, I think if the firefighter and his wife want a kid, they should try getting custody from "Cathy." But then I'm all for abstinence and adoption, there are too many people in the world as it is.

Of course I'm being unrealistic, people will continue to start having sex before they understand the consequences and will expect the courts, society, doctors, etc. to bail them out.
2005-10-01, 6:03 AM #12
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
If one of us gets unlucky, or if the condom breaks

That same thing happened to my brother, his ex-girlfriend, (who is a ***** IMO and has had three kids with three different fathers before the age of 21), doesn't even looked after my brothers son half the time, she "off-loads" him onto my brother and his new girlfriend (soon to be wife).

That doesn't stop the fact that my brother has to pay her money to look after his son, she also gets all the child benefit, whats her situation now? she will be getting enough money off the three fathers and the government for the next 18 years of her life so that she doesn't have to work a day, btw she also gets free housing so doesn't have to pay rent, electric, water, etc...

Seriously, there is something totally screwed if a women can do this to three different guys and get away with it, on all three occassions the father didn't want the child but in the end didn't have a say in the matter.

Seems as though the US and UK both need a re-think in respect to men's rights concerning child birth/adoption.

My brother is (trying) to save up to go to court to get custiody but because he is working he has to pay himself, she on the otherhand, will get free legal aid!!!
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2005-10-01, 7:11 AM #13
At first I was going to say that men should have a say in the matter, but I've reconsidered. It's quite simple. You wouldn't have this problem if you treated your sex life with more reponsibility. If you're out screwing around, be a man and deal with the consequences.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-10-01, 7:45 AM #14
i am a rabid mens rights advocate. rabid i tell ya.

my experience wasn't so bad when i was a young man but it left me out in the cold. so when the time comes i speak up.
there's lots of deadbeat dads out there that need to be severely punished. but there are also those men that didn't have a choice. why? because the courts and society favour women in this matter. it's automatically assumed the man is some kind of ******* just wandering around having sex and disregarding any responsibility. when in fact a decision like this can keep a man up at night for weeks wondering what decision he should make and what rights he has in this matter.
2005-10-01, 8:16 AM #15
The thing a lot of you are forgetting is that the woman has a choice to NOT face the concequences of a pregnancy. She can 'fix' a mistake she made, while a man has absolutelly no way to get out of the situation.

But the fact of the matter is even mildly feministic women are going to shove the fact that they have to risk their life and all that jazz to have a child or to get an abortion. To that, I say: If we have to face the concequences of our actions, why shouldn't you? You know exactly what sex entails and the possibilities that may arise. If you aren't ready to come to a comprimise over the birth or abortion of YOUR sex life, than don't ***** when you've got to get your baby cut out of your crotch.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-10-01, 8:38 AM #16
If the firefighter has a good income and he's married, chances are he has a more stable situation than the woman.

He could sue for custody and then collect child support from her! :D
2005-10-01, 9:19 AM #17
Yeah, like that's going to work.

It's the same thing abour consentual or not. Unless you have it on paper (pfft, yeah right), all she has to do is scream "rape" and you're ****ed.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-10-01, 12:41 PM #18
I agree with PageWizard... weird.

Though I'm also of the belief that abortion should be manditory until 18 years of age unless the woman is married. *shrug*
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2005-10-01, 3:12 PM #19
Just keep your dick in your pants.

Problem solved.
2005-10-01, 3:32 PM #20
Well, it's true.

Originally posted by Jon`C:
He could sue for custody and then collect child support from her!

Heh, my mom has a friend whose ex-wife has to pay him child support. She was a b**** and kept lying during the divorce procedure about him molesting her daughter. Evidently, the judge saw through her. Especially when the doctor reports on the girl turned up nothing.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-10-01, 4:17 PM #21
Originally posted by tofu:
Just keep your dick in your pants.

Problem solved.

Words of Wisdom.

If she wants the child despite the accident, I think you should pay her/help raise the child. You deposit your seed into a woman, get her pregnant, then just want to run off and not bother with the child? Oh hell no. It angers me so that this is even brought up. Own up to your responsibility. Be a man.

Condoms break. Birth control fails. Accidents happen. There is no 100% effective contraception save abstinence or sterility. Be prepared to accept consequences of your actions when you're lying naked with some woman.

You may flog me if you wish. But there is one thing damn certain in this nation/world is that people need to start taking responsibility for their actions and just not schluff it off to some other person.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-10-01, 4:21 PM #22
tofu and JG is right.
2005-10-01, 5:58 PM #23
[QUOTE=Compos Mentis]if you don't want a kid that bad, don't have sex
I know it's kind of harsh, and kind of hypocritical of me to say...but I'm having premarital sex but I know what the consequences are. If it happens, then it was my fault I'm not going to try and cop out of it. It's a great responsibility to take care of a kid, and if you're man enough to make it you better be man enough to help raise it (even if that means all you're doing is paying)[/QUOTE]

I agree with you 100%. You fully understand the risks when you have sex, so you have to face the unintended consequences.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2005-10-01, 6:01 PM #24
Haha, excuse me, men aren't the ones who have to birth a freaking watermelon.
"Art is a lie that makes us to realize the truth."
- Pablo Picasso

blog thingamajig
2005-10-01, 6:03 PM #25
Originally posted by Achelois:

Oh yeah? And how do you know THAT?

I really need to chew more thoroughly
2005-10-01, 6:13 PM #26
I'll tell you all something: IF YOU DON'T WANT THE KID THEN PUT HIM UP FOR ADOPTION, DON'T KILL IT.
No more comments.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2005-10-01, 6:15 PM #27

And women don't spontaneously spawn children.

It's a 50/50 endeavor.
2005-10-01, 6:30 PM #28
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
I'll tell you all something: IF YOU DON'T WANT THE KID THEN PUT HIM UP FOR ADOPTION, DON'T KILL IT.
No more comments.

IF YOU WANT TO EAT SOMETHING, EAT VEGETABLES AND STOP KILLING ANIMALS

No more comments!
2005-10-01, 6:32 PM #29

"I birthed a watermelon, I deserve your money."
omnia mea mecum porto
2005-10-01, 6:34 PM #30
And considering that for every animal you don't eat, Maddox is going to eat three, for every baby you DON'T kill...
幻術
2005-10-01, 6:35 PM #31
50/50 sounds right to me. It takes a sperm and an egg to make a baby. Women don't just create babies on their own.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-10-01, 6:37 PM #32
But...what about the 9 months the woman has to carry a baby in her? Men don't do that.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-10-01, 6:42 PM #33
You and your wife buy a car. She drives it everywhere, and you almost never get to use it, but it doesn't make it any less your car, you split the bill 50/50.

Just because the child is in her doesn't mean it's hers. It isn't the mans fault he can't carry about a child for 9 months. Besides, 9 months of dealing with a crazy mood swings should even it out. ;)
Think while it's still legal.
2005-10-01, 9:51 PM #34

Than stop sleeping around and you won't have to. This changes nothing for the fact that men can be held liable.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-10-01, 9:55 PM #35
Originally posted by Echoman:
But...what about the 9 months the woman has to carry a baby in her? Men don't do that.

Well, we get kidney stones.

According to my dad, they are bloody ****ing painful.

In his own words.
2005-10-01, 10:13 PM #36
Kidney Stones + Hernia = ****ING YEOWCH.

Seriously!
2005-10-01, 10:29 PM #37
I had to pass something similar to kidney stones after a surgery. It's supposed to be pretty much identical to childbirth: I did it without drugs.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-10-01, 10:53 PM #38
If a girl births a watermelon, and wants child support from me, I'm 98% certain that DNA testing will prove that I'm not a watermelon.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-10-01, 11:06 PM #39
Originally posted by Wolfy:
If a girl births a watermelon, and wants child support from me, I'm 98% certain that DNA testing will prove that I'm not a watermelon.

What about that 2%?
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-10-02, 2:35 AM #40
Originally posted by Echoman:

They carry it for 9 months, then we pay heavily out the *** for 18 years.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."

↑ Up to the top!