Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Can studying martial arts help against a firearm attack?
Can studying martial arts help against a firearm attack?
2005-10-01, 6:50 PM #1
So as not to derail that OTHER thread, here's the question: (read Title). I'm pretty sure it can. Not only will you be able to DISARM your attacker, but you will also understand timing, field of fire, and be generally aware of your surroundings.
幻術
2005-10-01, 6:52 PM #2
And you'll still get shot, because no one can outrun bullets.
2005-10-01, 6:54 PM #3
As my Sensei used to say "The tricky thing about gun techniques is that there is only a 60% chance they will work, and there is a 40% chance you'll get shot....wait, or is it the other way around?"
Think while it's still legal.
2005-10-01, 6:55 PM #4
Dude, it's not about RUNNING faster than bullets. Eh, have you ever shot at a moving target? If so, imagine it moving in absolutely unpredictable patterns, and then shoot it. And anyways, it's very unlikely someone will try to shoot you from a distance on the street. Most attackers with firearms try to stick it in your nose.

And no, you WON'T get shot if you break their arm in 3 different places.
幻術
2005-10-01, 6:57 PM #5
Machine gun.
2005-10-01, 6:58 PM #6
When the dude robbing me pulls out a machine gun out of his pants, I'll give him my money willfully. Out of respect, yo.
幻術
2005-10-01, 7:00 PM #7
The typical robber doesn't have machine guns.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-10-01, 7:01 PM #8
Being a martial artist:

I would say don't do anything stupid if it was a stick up.

If you wanna be brave, best chance is to act fast and quick, grab and push their hands up as you duck and they fire. Continue with an attack there. I personally don't know anyone who survived from that.

But for your life I would suggest you just do what they say, let the police handle it.

Knife defence however I have heard a few stories, a few guys in my studio got jumped with some knifers, but disarmed them and turned them into the police. Witnesses were luckily passing by so they got off.
2005-10-01, 7:03 PM #9
I think the only chance of an unarmed individual with martial arts skills would have against someone armed with a gun would all hinge on distance and the element of surprise. If you're close enough and managed to take the guy by surprise, you might be able to disarm him/her before they get a chance to lock on and shoot. Otherwise, don't even dare think about taking on someone with a gun. You're just asking for death. Like Rob said, you can't dodge bullets.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2005-10-01, 7:04 PM #10
Quote:
Being a martial artist:

I would say don't do anything stupid if it was a stick up.

If you wanna be brave, best chance is to act fast and quick, grab and push their hands up as you duck and they fire. Continue with an attack there. I personally don't know anyone who survived from that.

But for your life I would suggest you just do what they say, let the police handle it.

Knife defence however I have heard a few stories, a few guys in my studio got jumped with some knifers, but disarmed them and turned them into the police. Witnesses were luckily passing by so they got off.

Gotta agree with you. Unless you have a gun yourself, and it's a random robbery, better not to get involved. You can get people killed. But when someone's sticking a gun in your face, that's a different story. IMHO.

Martial artist of what, by the way?
幻術
2005-10-01, 7:16 PM #11
The short name: Japenese Kenpo. Not that American Kenpo crap.

Also, Tai Chi.

happydud takes Tae Kwon Do (lol)

(the most cocky post I ever did)
2005-10-01, 7:16 PM #12
Originally posted by Koobie:
So as not to derail that OTHER thread, here's the question: (read Title). I'm pretty sure it can. Not only will you be able to DISARM your attacker, but you will also understand timing, field of fire, and be generally aware of your surroundings.

Not if I'm shooting at you.
It is well that war is so terrible - otherwise we would grow too fond of it. - Robert E. Lee
2005-10-01, 7:19 PM #13
Also, would you do all those calculations when someone is shooting at you?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-10-01, 7:21 PM #14
JorBo wins.
2005-10-01, 7:22 PM #15
A skilled marksman is aware of timing/fields of fire, a martial artist is not necessarily. Basically, if you're within arms-length (+ or - a bit), and you have Serious Speed and some surprise, maybe you can pull it off... But at distance? It's not likely.

Especially against JorBo he's just a maniac.
2005-10-01, 7:22 PM #16
The answer is no. You will only get yourself shot.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2005-10-01, 7:31 PM #17
The best solution is to use the powers of qi to make a protective forcefield before you leap on the assaulter and snape his neck in half

Well, that's what I would do at least. eheheh
2005-10-01, 7:32 PM #18
Originally posted by Anovis:
The short name: Japenese Kenpo. Not that American Kenpo crap.

Also, Tai Chi.

(the most cocky post I ever did)

You're not in the Bujinkan by any chance, are you? Nah, probably not, silly question. Anyways, I fail to see how you people make it that a person who regularly trains to respond to life-threatening situations will have the same chance of pulling it off as someone who doesn't.
幻術
2005-10-01, 7:50 PM #19
What if they use gun kata?
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-10-01, 7:56 PM #20
that is why you get gun implants.
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
2005-10-01, 9:56 PM #21
We're not talking about ROBBERS.

We're talking about a GUN Vs. a MARTIAL ARTIST.

Bullet > Flesh.
2005-10-01, 10:02 PM #22
Being a black belt:

Handgun at point blank, If I felt good about it I'd take the chance at disarming him.

Shotgun at 20ft away, I'd run like hell, or stay put, which ever is the smart thing to do at the time.
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2005-10-01, 10:21 PM #23
Originally posted by Rob:
We're not talking about ROBBERS.

We're talking about a GUN Vs. a MARTIAL ARTIST.

Bullet > Flesh.

You're forgetting! Movement > Bullet Angle!

Hehehehe sorry Koobie, that just cracked me up when I read it because it makes no sense :) I'm not implying that you don't have a valid point, but :D
2005-10-01, 10:25 PM #24
Hahaha. Yeah. It *was* a pretty freaky thing say of me to say. Sleepy. And doing an Aaron. Still.
幻術
2005-10-01, 10:51 PM #25
I'd say it depends on how close you are to the person.

Imagine. If someone is standing approx. arms length and holding a gun to your face, they're probably looking right down the barrel of the gun. Which means they're not watching your hands. If you have matial arts training, then you'll be able to move quickly, and thus could most likely have the gun knocked away before they even realized you were going to attack. Especially if they don't know you, and are relying on you being intimidated by the gun in your face.

However, if they're a few steps back, and/or aiming the gun at your chest/stomach, I'd have less confidence in such an attempt being successful.

And, if they're farther back, it would depend more on the type of gun they had, and how close you were to cover.

Either way, I'd sure as hell try, cause I'm not about to let some prick with a gun scare me. Because if someone can scare you like that, then they have power over you, and that's something I just wouldn't allow, no matter what the odds. If someone held a gun at me and told me to give them something, I'd tell them to stick that gun up their *** and come take it. Then I'd either get shot, or do my best the get the gun away from them. If I got shot the worst that could happen is that I would die. And I'm ready for that, so I'm not worried.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2005-10-01, 10:53 PM #26
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
Either way, I'd sure as hell try, cause I'm not about to let some prick with a gun scare me. Because if someone can scare you like that, then they have power over you, and that's something I just wouldn't allow, no matter what the odds. If someone held a gun at me and told me to give them something, I'd tell them to stick that gun up their *** and come take it. Then I'd either get shot, or do my best the get the gun away from them. If I got shot the worst that could happen is that I would die. And I'm ready for that, so I'm not worried.

You say that now but I doubt you'll say that if you found yourself in that situation.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2005-10-01, 10:55 PM #27
well.. I honestly can't argue with you there, cause it's never happened. But I hope that I'd act as I just described, and I *think* that I would.

I can say that I've been in life-threatening situations before, and haven't been scared in the least bit, until the situation was already over.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2005-10-02, 12:08 AM #28
what faith! :D
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-10-02, 12:14 AM #29
Uh, if the martial arts master can kill/defeat the gunman before he can use his guns (that is if he is a good shooter) then sure.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-10-02, 12:17 AM #30
It's also worth remembering that not actually all people aiming a gun at you might be as willing to pull the tricker. Or course it'd be hard to know, especially in such a situation, who would think nothing of killing you and who would hesitate the crucial moment.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-10-02, 7:36 AM #31
I took Karate (I think the style was Shotokan), as well as Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and Folk-style as well as freestyle wrestling. I have won the only bar fight I've ever been in just last month. I didn't start it this guy just didn't like me beating him in pool that much( he bet on the other guy). Warned they guy, but he didn't listen. Had him out in a min. Gotta love guys who start off by trying to tackle :rolleyes:
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2005-10-02, 8:25 AM #32
Originally posted by Anovis:

?
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2005-10-02, 8:41 AM #33
Don't you?
2005-10-02, 8:41 AM #34
Originally posted by Koobie:
Anyways, I fail to see how you people make it that a person who regularly trains to respond to life-threatening situations will have the same chance of pulling it off as someone who doesn't.

Perhaps because any unarmed person's chances of surviving an attack with a gun by disarming the gunman are very, very small.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2005-10-02, 9:27 AM #35
Originally posted by lassev:
It's also worth remembering that not actually all people aiming a gun at you might be as willing to pull the tricker. Or course it'd be hard to know, especially in such a situation, who would think nothing of killing you and who would hesitate the crucial moment.

Yeah, I heard policeman are more worried about people with knifes than about people with guns, because many people tend to hesitate when it comes to pulling the trigger. But a knife is even underestimated by the attacker himself, so he is more willing to use it.
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-10-02, 11:17 AM #36
Police are trained with a little echnique if they really feel like dodging a bullet. You slap the gun to one side and dive down and to the other side. Apparently it works okay...this is if they've got it right in your face. All you have to worry about it getting your hand into the slap position without them realizing something is up.
Warhead[97]
2005-10-03, 12:13 PM #37
Gun safety courses which are geared towards gun-owners using the weapons to defend themselves teach you never to pull a gun on someone who is close, and if you do, back away as you are drawing your weapon, and use your free hand to block the attacker from interfereing with your ability to draw your weapon. Handguns are created so you can basically "point and shoot" - aiming is not really an issue if you are close to someone, you don't even need sights, it's just like pointing your finger at someone.

I would never go up against someone with a gun if I had a choice. Of course, sometimes there is more to life than your own and you have no choice if you want to do the right thing.
2005-10-03, 12:23 PM #38
You could always dodge the bullets matrix-agent style or just hold out your hand and hope the bullets stop in midair. :p
2005-10-03, 12:26 PM #39
Quote:
Can studying martial arts help against a firearm attack?

Yes. The keyword is "help".
2005-10-03, 12:57 PM #40
The key phrase is help at point blank.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009

↑ Up to the top!