Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Reputation listing?
Reputation listing?
2005-10-02, 9:20 PM #1
Explanation of what reputation listings are is below...
2005-10-02, 9:25 PM #2
WHAT IS REPUTATION?

i'm just playing with the system. i'll have to talk to the admins before we decide whether or not to enable the system. it lets everyone change each other's reputation based on quality posts.

you get 1 rep power for every 100 rep points, 1000 posts, and 365 days being registered. each rep power you have lets you change someone elses rep by that number of points.

your reputation is changed by other people, and they click on a post that they think was good or bad and provide a comment on why they think it was good or bad and then they affect your reputation using THEIR rep power.

you can only change someones rep x number of times per week and you have to change other peoples reps x number of times before doing the same person twice, have to have x number of posts to change rep, etc.

as your rep goes up you gain little green boxes that tell other people how freakin sweet you are at internet forum posting.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND HOW THIS WORKS
spammers will get downrepped for posting useless crap
people who brag about their rep will get most of it taken away when they piss others off
people will get rep for making great posts

for now it will be off in about 5 minutes
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2005-10-02, 9:36 PM #3
a long chat log on the subject

<mb> oh okay
<mb> can you explain wtf is up with the rep thing?
<Jim7> ?
<mb> on the forum
<The_MAZZTer> "rep" is a common abbreivation for "repetitions" mb
<mb> im assuming brad did it
<The_MAZZTer> >_>
<The_MAZZTer> oh
<The_MAZZTer> reputation
<The_MAZZTer> yeah that was him
<The_MAZZTer> he was babbling about it earlier
<mb> ah
<The_MAZZTer> aww it's off and I didn't get to see it
<mb> it got turned off?
<Brad> its staying off until i bring up a long heavy handed discussion in the admin forum and of course overhaul it for looks
<Brad> http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?t=36227 <- before i turned it off someone noticed and of course posted a thread
<Brad> feel free to leave comments on the idea as i layed out pretty well how it works
<mb> honestly, i think this is just a big step towards "LOL IM BETTER THAN U MY REP SEZ SO"
<The_MAZZTer> mb: we already have that with post counts
<The_MAZZTer> it's not too bad
<The_MAZZTer> I think...
<mb> post counts dont say as much as a "rep" point would :P
<Brad> yes
<Brad> but posting "lol my rep is big i rock" would probably get alot of people negatively impacting your rep
<Brad> thus dropping it down
<mb> probably, but then you also have people like SF Gold who would automatically get their reps dropped because the majority of the people on the forum suck
<The_MAZZTer> well I think more of the problem would be if there was a heated debate
<The_MAZZTer> everyone would be lowering everyone else's reps insanely :P
<The_MAZZTer> of course, that DOES give one yet another reason to stay out of those arguments anyways
<Jim7> and then... the rep wars will begin
<Brad> post this stuff on the thread you guys
<Brad> seriously
<Brad> let your thoughts be heard
<Brad> http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?t=36227
<Brad> GO POST YOUR THOUGHTS ON REP
<mb> NO
<Brad> DO IT OR I BAN MASSASSI
<The_MAZZTer> NO
<The_MAZZTer> I'M GOING TO SLEEP NOW
<Brad> IM GOING TO POST THIS LOG THEN
<The_MAZZTer> FINE
2005-10-02, 9:39 PM #4
:( you took out me singing along to grease :(
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2005-10-02, 9:40 PM #5
I'm going to merge this into a poll and sticky it, hold on.
2005-10-02, 9:41 PM #6
Originally posted by MBeggar:
:( you took out me singing along to grease :(

<mb> LALALALA
<mb> WE GO TOGETHER LIKE NANANNA
<mb> SHOOP SHOOP DOO WHOOP
<mb> CHANGITY CHANG CHI BOP
2005-10-02, 9:46 PM #7
As for the system, I dunno... quality posts .... hmmm. How do you plan on assessing quality posts? I can see this as a major problem.
2005-10-02, 9:48 PM #8
Originally posted by CavEmaN:
As for the system, I dunno... quality posts .... hmmm. How do you plan on assessing quality posts? I can see this as a major problem.

did you not even read the explanation? seriously
2005-10-02, 9:54 PM #9
Originally posted by oSiRiS:
did you not even read the explanation? seriously

Yeah I did. Good and bad in what way? So you're saying that anyone can up or down a person's rep based on a post that they thought was funny, unique, posted by a girl, has awesome insight into one's own life, or is helpful?
2005-10-02, 9:58 PM #10
I picked the sad robot.
2005-10-02, 10:04 PM #11
THIS IDEA SUCKS.
2005-10-02, 10:07 PM #12
Bad bad bad bad idea. I forsee nothing but classism and elitism. With the some apparent...conflagrations amongs members here, I can assure this system will be abused in hopes of trying to shame one's enemy.

Stately put and I quote.
Quote:
[22:04] <&mb> yes, but this will be like "HEY GUYS! BE 1337!"
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-10-02, 10:23 PM #13
I'm with the sad robot too. I think this would just inhibit people from posting responses that contradict the current direction of the thread (disagreeing with the OP generally, not necessarily flaming) in fear that it would hurt their reputation.

There are also people whose credibility is already shot (SF_Gold) and would never recover. As it is, it's difficult to repair credibility since you can always hotlink past issues the poster has had and opinions of a person change slowly... but to actually systemize reputation in this way would make it almost impossible. I think that, since so many of the posters here are young, they really should be given second chances because they don't fully appreciate the consequences of their actions. There are plenty of posters who started out badly and are now regulars, making (arguably) valuable contributions to the discussions.

Also, having post counts be one factor in reputation will encourage people to make neutral, unoffensive, brief garbage posts (not that a lot of posters don't do this already, here and elsewhere). The board will become a list of one-liners that are too timid to directly contradict any previous ones. Offering the star farmers power (of any kind) that comes directly from their farming is a really bad idea IMO.

Granting power based on every 365 days of registration also seems like a bad idea. A community requires new members to join or it will cease to exist as the old members leave... by valuing older members over newer ones, you create a xenophobic atmosphere where "newbies" are looked down upon and chastised.

I realize my second two points, post counts and seniority, will play a smaller role in calculating the overall reputation, but I really feel that they shouldn't be counted in any way. Of course, as I stated, I don't feel "rep" should be systemized at all.
2005-10-02, 10:29 PM #14
You can turn off the display of your own reputation
2005-10-02, 10:35 PM #15
I don't think we need it, but I don't really care all that much.
Pissed Off?
2005-10-02, 10:37 PM #16
you guys are saying that theres basically no chance that this will encourage quality posts? wut?
2005-10-02, 10:39 PM #17
Quality posts = good thing. I'm all for this if it works as it should.
Who made you God to say "I'll take your life from you"?
2005-10-02, 11:58 PM #18
If your rep sucks, reregister. If it was known here who/what I am in other places, well...
SpamBlogger
"u r dumb, stop or ill sue u
- jak thomsun

p.s. ur gay" - Victor Van Dort

New disclaimer - Any brain damage suffered as a result of typographical errors is the reader's liability.
2005-10-03, 12:08 AM #19
I voted for "no, we shouldn't" on the poll, but my real answer would be closer to "I'm skeptical this idea would bring good vibes." I won't be all grumpy for trying to prove me wrong though.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2005-10-03, 12:16 AM #20
This is stupid. And anway, since it's 50/50, it's no go.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-10-03, 3:31 AM #21
This is a horrible idea. Just another way to put people down. Brian almost removed the post counts because of people trying to show off didn't he? This rep things sounds just like another way people can show how much bigger their e-wang is. OMG! I HAVE MORE REP THAN YOU! - REP FOR YOU! + REP FOR ME! I forsee great rep-battles.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-10-03, 4:28 AM #22
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort]This is a horrible idea. Just another way to put people down. Brian almost removed the post counts because of people trying to show off didn't he? This rep things sounds just like another way people can show how much bigger their e-wang is. OMG! I HAVE MORE REP THAN YOU! - REP FOR YOU! + REP FOR ME! I forsee great rep-battles.[/QUOTE]

Uh...you can't give yourself rep.

I think it's not a bad idea, since the minute you go "OMG STFU I HAVE REP" you'd get owned in the face.
D E A T H
2005-10-03, 4:34 AM #23
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Uh...you can't give yourself rep.

I think it's not a bad idea, since the minute you go "OMG STFU I HAVE REP" you'd get owned in the face.[/QUOTE]
you have a point.

i say try it, if it doesetn work, we can kill it before there is too much harm done.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2005-10-03, 4:40 AM #24
I voted no, I don't really see the point in implementing such a system.
Rock is dead - but I believe in necrophilia.
2005-10-03, 4:46 AM #25
I don't like this idea. I liked Massassian forums because they are simple and nice.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-10-03, 5:24 AM #26
Originally posted by SM_Trige:
Quality posts = good thing. I'm all for this if it works as it should.

But it wont, because this is massassi.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2005-10-03, 7:03 AM #27
Well, we could always make an *elite* group of massassians who would rate everyone else... Oh that wouldn't work :p

The problem is the spammers and those who've already lost their reputation. The spammers would just kill everyone (at the expense of themselves, but I doubt they care) and those who lost their rep already have no chance to redeem themselves.
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2005-10-03, 7:10 AM #28
I really don't see bragging as being an issue. If someone brags about rep, their rep will take a very quick downturn when EVERY ONE OF YOU WHO ARE COMPLAINING NOW OWNS HIM IN THE FACE!
2005-10-03, 7:11 AM #29
Originally posted by SG-fan:
Well, we could always make an *elite* group of massassians who would rate everyone else... Oh that wouldn't work :p

The problem is the spammers and those who've already lost their reputation. The spammers would just kill everyone (at the expense of themselves, but I doubt they care) and those who lost their rep already have no chance to redeem themselves.

I SWEAR YOU GUYS ARENT EVEN READING HOW IT WORKS!

No one has rep right now. We all have 10. Some people have different rep power, but no one has any rep.

Spammers would get owned when people downrep them for posting useless garbage.
2005-10-03, 7:14 AM #30
Bad bad bad badbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbad idea

They have this on the allakhazam (MMORPG) forums, and all people do is rate people based on whether or not they agree with them, like them, think they are pretty, like their pretty necklace, whatever.

Especially on massassi, where we have debates, this is a HORRIBLE IDEA.

Liberal A: "Well, I think abortion is all right, given some conditions, and here's why I think why..."

Fudementalist Christian Right Winger B: "I DISAGREE! ANONYMOUS RATE DOWN!"
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2005-10-03, 7:54 AM #31
If you want to turn Massassi into Nazidom, feel free to implement it.
2005-10-03, 7:57 AM #32
Originally posted by fishstickz:

They have this on the allakhazam (MMORPG) forums, and all people do is rate people based on whether or not they agree with them, like them, think they are pretty, like their pretty necklace, whatever.

Liberal A: "Well, I think abortion is all right, given some conditions, and here's why I think why..."

I must second this. On gamedev.net they have a system like this and the more time you spend in the lounge, the worse your rating gets because of lamers rating you down because they DISAGREE WITH YOU. The only way you can get your rating up is to provide help in the programming forums. BAD IDEA. SOMEONE MAKE THE BAD IDEA GO AWAY.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-10-03, 8:47 AM #33
I really would not like to see this implemented on Massassi. I don't think it'd work, and I don't see what positive aspect this could possibly bring to the forums.
2005-10-03, 8:52 AM #34
No good will come of this.
2005-10-03, 8:57 AM #35
Originally posted by fishstickz:

Not only that, but it's all "I don't care about ratedowns OMQ WHY DID I GET RATED DOWN HAX!!111one" and people abusing it. One would have hoped we were a more mature community, though. It could be at least worth a try if they sort out images and stuff.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2005-10-03, 8:59 AM #36
I've already got a reputation, without any stupid system.
2005-10-03, 9:01 AM #37
I think it's a good idea. The system is just a more open version of what goes on over at /. with the modding system. You post something quality and a mod reps you up until you're a mod. The only difference here is that we would be encouraging everybody to participate and rep each other HONESTLY.

I think, though, that BLATANT disregard for honesty based on personal vendettas should result in at least a temp ban should this be put in place. That way Ubuu and SAJN won't be bickering back and forth like the little girls they both can be when you put them near each other. (extreme example only used because it's bound to happen)

I think that if this were to be implemented it would be interesting to see what Massassi would do with it. I think alot of you might be surprised if rules regarding the rep system were in place and enforced.

EDIT: The examples you guys are posting are from forums on a MUCH larger scale, where members are "flooding" in and the community isn't altogether familiar with one-another. Sure we have a few people here and there who everybody doesn't know, but more often than not they aren't trouble-makers. Not to mention Massassi's strict anti-troll policy.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2005-10-03, 9:02 AM #38
You never know if something will work for sure unless you've tried it. Gosh if we picked our spouses like that...

I believe this is as straightforward as it gets:
Originally posted by Elana14:
i say try it, if it doesetn work, we can kill it before there is too much harm done.

I'm for the idea of the Rep System. Or at least, I'm not opposed to it in any way.
It's just a fun little feature after all... if you don't like it, don't use it, or turn it off.
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2005-10-03, 10:00 AM #39
For clarity, Nazidom refers to a wonderful place where elitist jerkwads rule supreme. I'm sure the general consensus is that no one wants Massassi to mutate into such a place. The fact, however, that some of you actually think you can judge the "quality" of posts scares me, especially when you consider this is a website designed for people all ages, intelligences, and personalities. If this were a snobbish English grammar forum where people were competing for some trophy of posting quality, I might understand your proposition.
2005-10-03, 10:11 AM #40
Originally posted by money•bie:
For clarity, Nazidom refers to a wonderful place where elitist jerkwads rule supreme. I'm sure the general consensus is that no one wants Massassi to mutate into such a place. The fact, however, that some of you actually think you can judge the "quality" of posts scares me, especially when you consider this is a website designed for people all ages, intelligences, and personalities. If this were a snobbish English grammar forum where people were competing for some trophy of posting quality, I might understand your proposition.

See, but if there were elitist jerkwads, the majority could rep them down. As I have stated. again. and again. and again.

↑ Up to the top!