Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Reputation listing?
Reputation listing?
2005-10-03, 10:17 AM #41
REP!
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2005-10-03, 10:17 AM #42
I fail to see the point. We already do that figuratively, why do we need a number to cement it?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-10-03, 10:18 AM #43
The whole idea of "classes" will balance itself out, especially since we'd be starting on a level plane (if I understood oSiRiS corrently). SF_Gold wouldn't start in the gutter, he'd have to work his way down from here. And the people that put themselves above everyone else and think that Rep is the only thing that matter because it makes them "better" than you, will be getting their rep smacked down.

I'm for it.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-10-03, 10:22 AM #44
I don't like the idea of "reping" someone down. It's bound to be abused.
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-10-03, 10:29 AM #45
Originally posted by oSiRiS:
See, but if there were elitist jerkwads, the majority could rep them down. As I have stated. again. and again. and again.
I don't think anyone should arbitrarily be given powers to judge what is good or bad and have it effect the poster's reputation. I mean, according to your explanation someone could give out a bad reputation just because someone's post was short or poorly structured. But what exactly is wrong with bad English in the context of the internet and this website?

Maybe I misunderstand your definition of "quality", I dunno. Feasibly, the system could work if you provided a clear definition of how quality was to be rated.
2005-10-03, 10:32 AM #46
I would call "quality" the difference between actually contributing to the convo/debate and actually sounding intelligent, vs. sounding like an elitist jerkwad, or just being an *******
$do || ! $do ; try
2005-10-03, 10:32 AM #47
Here are some numbers I'm considering for the settings:

Default reputation level: 10
- if the system were to turn on today, everyone would start with 10 points

Number of ratings to display in your control panel: 20
-this will show you who repped you up or down, and for what post, and for what reason

For every 365 days, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

For every 1000 posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

For every 100 points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

How many posts must a user have before his reputation hits count on others? 50
- this would prevent people from registering new names to rep someone into oblivion

How much reputation must a user have before his reputation hits count on others? 10
- this will prevent people who are in rep oblivion from bringing others down

How many reputation clicks can a user give over each 24 hour period? 10

How many different users must you give reputation to before you can hit the same person again? 20
- this is a big one. this will essentially prevent people from hammering on one guys rep. when combined with the others, you wont even be able to hit the same guy twice in two days, so you really wont have much motivation to continue hammering on some guys rep 8 times because he made some post you didnt like in a debate.
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2005-10-03, 10:36 AM #48
I'm liking this rep thnig more and more.

Originally posted by money•bie:
If you want to turn Massassi into Nazidom, feel free to implement it.

See, this is the kind of post I would vote bad rep for. It fails to deliver any content to the subject at hand, thus voting a bad rep would discourage moneyobie from posting ports like that in the future!

Of course that might be why he doesn't want it. >_>

Ok anyways. The way I see it the majority of Massassi's views would be reflected in the reps of it's posters. If someone posts something and the majority of the users like it, that person will get lots of good rep, and their rep will match the feelings of the forum about them. Now even if a troublemaker intentionally tries to disrupt the system, it's only one or a few people against the whole forum opinion, which won't make much of a dent.

Same for negative posts, just the other way.

[Edit: moneyobie: No, he wants every post to NOT be UNINTELLIGENT. There is a difference.]

2005-10-03, 10:36 AM #49
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
I would call "quality" the difference between actually contributing to the convo/debate and actually sounding intelligent, vs. sounding like an elitist jerkwad, or just being an *******
So you want every post to be an intelligent, high-brow thesis on the subject at hand? I'm pretty sure all that would do is make people come here less often.

[QUOTE=The Mega-ZZTer]See, this is the kind of post I would vote bad rep for. It fails to deliver any content to the subject at hand, thus voting a bad rep would discourage moneyobie from posting ports like that in the future!
[/QUOTE]I can't tell if you're joking or not (well, I'm assuming you're joking), but this is the exact sort of thing I'm talking about. What I said wasn't particularly bad, it was on-topic and neatly demonstrated my views without going into the complexities of the subject. Some people don't have time to write long dissertations on stuff, but because someone construes it as being negative and (maybe) aggressive, they will give me a bad point. And this helps the community in what way?
2005-10-03, 10:39 AM #50
Originally posted by money•bie:
So you want every post to be an intelligent, high-brow thesis on the subject at hand? I'm pretty sure all that would do is make people come here less often.

No, becuase that would defeat the purpose of having a nice forum to hang out and do whatever. You also have to mod each post. If you say something important and worthwhile, +1. If you're just an uptight dick, -1. It all has to do with the convo and what's going on
$do || ! $do ; try
2005-10-03, 10:39 AM #51
You guys realize that the rep display will consist of 1-5 dots under your name right? it's not like your posts will disappear.
2005-10-03, 10:46 AM #52
I'd just like to get it on the record that this wouldn't really affect me either way. I admit I have never maintained the best reputation, but that doesn't really bother me, 'cause I'm like, hey, you suck too. And stuff.

I know some people would take it more seriously though. I'm thinking of them.
2005-10-03, 10:51 AM #53
Pointless idea.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-10-03, 11:05 AM #54
on a side note i found this code in vb:

$reputation_value = ($reputation_value - ($reputation_value - 500))

which is loltastic. some people just dont get math.
2005-10-03, 11:32 AM #55
Can someone tell me the point? I mean, really tell me the real point. A number somewhere isn't going to stop people from posting flamebait. In your quest to create a forum utopia, in the end you will have only squeezed every last bit of individuality out of Massassi.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-10-03, 11:34 AM #56
Originally posted by Freelancer:
Can someone tell me the point? I mean, really tell me the real point. A number somewhere isn't going to stop people from posting flamebait. In your quest to create a forum utopia, in the end you will have only squeezed every last bit of individuality out of Massassi.

THE INTERNET IS SERIOUS BUSINESS
2005-10-03, 11:51 AM #57
John Milton was born in England to a middle class family.

Oops, I voted for yes, but meant no. I think it's a really bad idea. It will just descend to people giving bad rep points every time they disagree with someone. "OMQlolz Obi supports logging companies, bad rep for him!" And that's all it will ever get used for, because people will be too lazy to give good rep to good posts.

EDIT: Oh, gah! And think of all the morons who always take sarcasm seriously because they’re so emotionally wrapped up around the subject! :mad:
2005-10-03, 12:15 PM #58
REQUEST DENIED.
2005-10-03, 12:15 PM #59
Originally posted by Brian:
REQUEST DENIED.

I have longed for you to say that again.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-10-03, 12:25 PM #60
well that about does it folks. brian's vote counts for 1000

↑ Up to the top!