Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → x800xl or 6800gt?
x800xl or 6800gt?
2005-10-06, 5:20 PM #41
newegg is telling me that the x800xl is 349 ish dollars
it is also telling me that a 256MB 6800gt is 189 ish dollars

-_- why is this. am i confused -_-.
2005-10-06, 5:37 PM #42
Originally posted by Jon`C:
I can guarantee to you that the X800 series does not support all of the features of Shader Model 3.

Because I've tried them. I've checked the caps, played around, nada.

ATI is a gigantic whore when it comes to their own proprietary shader extensions. They do extend things in non-standard ways, but mainly that's just a ploy to throw certain costly features into hardware, giving them a slightly higher performance boost in benchmark programs they can buy their standards into. Check the 3DMark2003 fiasco for instance. PS1 tests used Radeon 8500-only features and defaulted to much slower options for all other cards. They are not features you can use practically because there is no guarantee it will be available on all cards. Thanks to this sort of thing almost every production engine out there has a different pipeline for every damn card.

*cough* battlefield2 *cough*

:(
SpamBlogger
"u r dumb, stop or ill sue u
- jak thomsun

p.s. ur gay" - Victor Van Dort

New disclaimer - Any brain damage suffered as a result of typographical errors is the reader's liability.

↑ Up to the top!