Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I hate college
I hate college
2005-10-05, 5:25 PM #1
I have lived in Utah all my life. I go to college not 20 minutes from where I live. For all the good things about this state and the influences the Mormon church has, there is one really bad thing: marriages. Now, I have nothing against marriage. However, here in Utah, people seem to pride themselves on getting married young and spitting out the kids(having 6 kids in a family is not unusual). Now, in high school this is of course not a problem. Every once in a while you'd hear that a couple got engaged(most of the time seniors) but that didn't affect you much. But in college it all changes. I've seen rings on the middle finger of probably a little more than half the people in my classes this semester, both marriage rings and those damn promise rings* and that doesn't even count those just in a relationship. The most notable is in my meterology class where the married couple in there are barely older than me, if at all. Because of all this, potential relationships from people on campus let alone anywhere are few and far between and it already feels like I'm 30 and missed out on "first round draft picks". I feel like I need to get married just to fit in. >.<

Anyway, just needed to get that off my chest. Maybe I'll go to another state for college next year. :)

* Here in Utah it is very common for Mormon men(and sometimes women) to go on missions to other countries for 2 years. Well, before this they may have a girlfriend and they give them a promise ring, saying they'll marry them when they get back in 2 years. A lot of the men take their mission after high school or between their sophmore and junior year of college.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2005-10-05, 5:29 PM #2
That drives me crazy about BYU also ;)
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2005-10-05, 5:29 PM #3
Go to a university in Arizona or New Mexico. Plenty of Mexican chicks wanting to get married for the citizenship.
:P
SpamBlogger
"u r dumb, stop or ill sue u
- jak thomsun

p.s. ur gay" - Victor Van Dort

New disclaimer - Any brain damage suffered as a result of typographical errors is the reader's liability.
2005-10-05, 5:30 PM #4
I've been in Boise, ID on Co-op for several months and I can confirm your story. There was an intern here with a 2 year old kid and another on the way. Scary.
This Space Intentionally Left Blank.
2005-10-05, 5:36 PM #5
Yeah, my best friend's cousin (who lives in Utah right now) just got married, and she's 18. Also, I'm planning on enrolling in BYU Provo next year (my birthplace!)... is that where you are right now Kieran? I'd like to know how it is there (except all of that crazy wedding stuff).

I'll never have six kids, ever...just so you know not all Mormons reproduce like rabbits.
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2005-10-05, 5:45 PM #6
Originally posted by Naythn:
I've been in Boise, ID on Co-op for several months and I can confirm your story. There was an intern here with a 2 year old kid and another on the way. Scary.

Except multiply the mormon-ness by about 4 and that's what it's like in utah. ;) By the way, where are you working here in Boise? I could be a mile away from you right now.. :em321:

And Kieran, for the love of god, get out. No one will take you seriously because they're all looking for other Mormons to marry. I would be really surprised if even one of them considered marrying an atheist.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-10-05, 5:47 PM #7
One of my friends who is younger than me had a baby back when we were in college. It made me feel incredibly old. :(
2005-10-05, 5:52 PM #8
No, I don't go to BYU. I go to Weber State University. The ironic thing is it's probably in one of the least mormon areas in the state. Of course, that's not saying much. At BYU it's even worse. From what I've heard, none of the vending machines on campus have anything with caffiene in them. Sprite is the campus drink.

Freelancer: Like I mentioned before, there are a lot of good things in this state. I'm sure when I'm 40 and have kids, this part of Utah culture is going to mean nothing to me. But right now, it has a huge impact on me.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2005-10-05, 6:08 PM #9
That sucks. Glad I live in California.
Pissed Off?
2005-10-05, 6:31 PM #10
You think that’s bad? At least you HAVE women at your college.

I go to IIT (Illinois Institute of Technology), and the Guy/Girl ratio is seriously around 7/1. Couple that with the fact that almost 60% of our student body are exchange students, who either don’t date at all, or don’t date outside of their ethnic group. Yeah…
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2005-10-05, 6:55 PM #11
kinda makes it hard to cruise for chicks when they are all married :(
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2005-10-05, 7:30 PM #12
[QUOTE=Kieran Horn] From what I've heard, none of the vending machines on campus have anything with caffiene in them. Sprite is the campus drink.
[/QUOTE]

No, it's root beer :p Stupid? Yes. How are college students supposed to pull all nighters with no caffiene? I mean, common.
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2005-10-05, 7:37 PM #13
Originally posted by Space_Bandit:
No, it's root beer :p Stupid? Yes. How are college students supposed to pull all nighters with no caffiene? I mean, common.

Why the hell would they do that? Especially with these things I call "convenience stores"
D E A T H
2005-10-05, 7:41 PM #14
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Why the hell would they do that? Especially with these things I call "convenience stores"[/QUOTE]

It's just on campus they don't sell caffiene, it's not like all of Provo follows that rule. The convenience stores have it, even alcohol.
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2005-10-05, 11:14 PM #15
Originally posted by Freelancer:
Except multiply the mormon-ness by about 4 and that's what it's like in utah. ;) By the way, where are you working here in Boise? I could be a mile away from you right now.. :em321:

Micron
This Space Intentionally Left Blank.
2005-10-05, 11:18 PM #16
Originally posted by FancyMan:
Go to a university in Arizona or New Mexico. Plenty of Mexican chicks wanting to get married for the citizenship.
:P

I go to a unversity in New Mexico. Everyone here is either married, engaged or a lesbian. Try Arizona. :p
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2005-10-05, 11:19 PM #17
awesome, naythn
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-10-05, 11:22 PM #18
Moral of the story = get out of Utah if you don't like the culture? You should come to Atlanta, we'll hang out and be sinners.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-10-05, 11:24 PM #19
Originally posted by 7:
kinda makes it hard to cruise for chicks when they are all married :(

PFFFFT, since when does a girl being married have to do with anything? :P

HASN'T HOLLYWOOD TAUGHT YOU ANYTHING?
2005-10-05, 11:26 PM #20
Originally posted by Rob:
PFFFFT, since when does a girl being married have to do with anything? :P

HASN'T HOLLYWOOD TAUGHT YOU ANYTHING?

That if you watch a movie and someone calls you and says "7 days" you should copy the tape.
2005-10-05, 11:34 PM #21
I feel like the only person in the world that wasn't frightened by, weirded out by, and hated The Ring.
2005-10-05, 11:38 PM #22
I'm with you there. The Ring sucked.
Stuff
2005-10-05, 11:39 PM #23
I feel like the only person in the world that wasn't frightened by, weirded out by, and hated The Ring.

I completely hated that film.
omnia mea mecum porto
2005-10-05, 11:41 PM #24
Have my hate babies?
2005-10-05, 11:49 PM #25
No, I get to be the big spoon.
omnia mea mecum porto
2005-10-06, 5:49 AM #26

I'll join the club.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-10-06, 6:54 AM #27
I'm 21, married and have a kid and NOT MORMON. But I live in Indiana.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2005-10-06, 7:56 AM #28
Originally posted by Wolfy:
I'll join the club.

I'm with you.
2005-10-06, 8:24 AM #29
I'm really not sure why LDS families procreate as much as they do, and as EARLY as they do.

It must suck when you're not of that mindset and in that environment (a member of that faith?)
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2005-10-06, 8:41 AM #30
It's because they're pressured to marry and have kids early.
2005-10-06, 8:52 AM #31
My GF is still in highschool. Try that method :D
2005-10-06, 11:06 AM #32
Originally posted by Freelancer:
It's because they're pressured to marry and have kids early.

I thought the trend (at least in the UK) was for people to marry later as more women are going to university and having kids later?
/fluffle
2005-10-06, 12:05 PM #33
The mormon church pressures its young adults to get married and have kids NOW, before you graduate from school.

Fortunately the national trend is not so.
2005-10-06, 12:34 PM #34
I hate that movie too, btw.
2005-10-06, 12:40 PM #35
Mormons believe in really freaky things. Indecently, my pastor, one of the most interesting people on the planet, infiltrated the Mormon church. He was sort of a theology spy. :p
2005-10-06, 12:50 PM #36
[QUOTE=West Wind]You think that’s bad? At least you HAVE women at your college.

I go to IIT (Illinois Institute of Technology), and the Guy/Girl ratio is seriously around 7/1. Couple that with the fact that almost 60% of our student body are exchange students, who either don’t date at all, or don’t date outside of their ethnic group. Yeah…[/QUOTE]

Nope, I got ya beat :D.

School: Neumont University
Guy/Girl Ratio: 30 to 1

Believe me it can get worse. Not to mention the amount of guys married vs the guys who have no relationship at all almost even out. Its almost as if those with just a girlfriend are a minority.
Ya know? Common sense? Not really that common...
2005-10-06, 2:18 PM #37
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Mormons believe in really freaky things. Indecently, my pastor, one of the most interesting people on the planet, infiltrated the Mormon church. He was sort of a theology spy. :p

He was really trying to get into the polygamist sect, dont lie.
2005-10-06, 2:28 PM #38
Originally posted by Schming:
He was really trying to get into the polygamist sect, dont lie.

Just to clear this all up, mormons have not practiced polygamy since the 1800s. And how can you infiltrate the church? It's pretty much open to anyone who wants to visit join, it's not like a secret society :p
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2005-10-06, 2:34 PM #39
I infiltrated a church once. See, I'm protestant, and so I infiltrated a Catholic church. I blended in okay until they did that "crossing themselves" thing and I didn't know how to do it, and I was like "OH CRAP, MY COVER'S BLOWN".

Yeah, fun times.
Stuff
2005-10-06, 3:22 PM #40
[QUOTE=West Wind]You think that’s bad? At least you HAVE women at your college.

I go to IIT (Illinois Institute of Technology), and the Guy/Girl ratio is seriously around 7/1. Couple that with the fact that almost 60% of our student body are exchange students, who either don’t date at all, or don’t date outside of their ethnic group. Yeah…[/QUOTE]

Ah! I visited that campus last March! You have just lessened my interest! Thanks!

↑ Up to the top!