Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Nintendo might be the smart one..
Nintendo might be the smart one..
2005-10-07, 10:57 AM #1
Article

This is why Sony and M$ are stupid :p
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-10-07, 11:03 AM #2
I'll end up buying them all anyways, so really, I don't care.
2005-10-07, 11:04 AM #3
Quote:
Start the big punch combo with the controller. Hand your grandmother a S-Controller or DualShock. You’ll probably fuse her brain. The Revolution’s controller looks like a remote control. Everyone knows what to do with a remote control. You point it at the TV, push a button, and something happens. It’s approachable. It’s intuitive. It’s not 27 buttons, triggers, sub-buttons, directional pads, thumbsticks, and devices that would require three people to operate correctly. I’ve owned an Xbox forever and I still don’t see the point of those annoying little black and white buttons.

Good point, I guess.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-10-07, 11:04 AM #4
Hmm, That artcile was great, and makes a hell of a lot of sence, if you think about it. Go Nintendo!
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2005-10-07, 11:56 AM #5
I've just realized that Sony’s controller is basically a handheld Mouse. If it works the way I think it does, the pointing movement will be like that of a mouse instead of that of an A-pad. The A-pad for movement isn't that bad. It actually works kind of well.
2005-10-07, 12:30 PM #6
I personally think multiple buttons, like on the microsoft one, are a must if you,re going to have complex games.

I think nintendo's little magic wand will suck balls.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2005-10-07, 12:39 PM #7
Quote:
Nintendo has the luxury of the long view. They’ve been around since 1889

...Indeed. 100+ years of gaming?
2005-10-07, 12:42 PM #8
Quote:
Start the big punch combo with the controller. Hand your grandmother a S-Controller or DualShock. You’ll probably fuse her brain.

Ok so remind me why I want the old granny to play my video games? Thats a pathetic point.

Gamers don't settle for little simple 2 button things.
2005-10-07, 12:46 PM #9
The average consumer doesn't care whether Sony is making a profit or not. They care about the quality of the games for the console.

Likewise, I don't care if Nintendo pulled off some slick business maneuvers in order to pull a profit. I care if the games for its console are games I would like to play.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-10-07, 1:07 PM #10
From watching the nifty controller video, I think it'd be REALLY cool if you could sword fight using that thing. It looked like you could in the game, I wouldn't be suprised if you could. Also I like the idea of how he says it'll be affordable.

I've recently gone off the console market, but the Revolution might well bring me back if it's affordable, and fun like it looks.

But the potential for that controller + games is amazing. It'd be more fun than the usual "Shoot some guys, blah blah, normal control - boringgg.." approach. And it's true, good graphics don't mean good games.

The revolution looks like a change, a good change.

Edit: And yeah, look.
" Just to give you some idea of the challengers they’ve faced and beaten, here’s a list of companies that lined up to go toe to toe with the Big N in the years after the original NES: Sega, Atari, Commodore, Amstrad, NeoGeo, NEC (TurboGrafx 16), Watara, Philips, Apple (Pippin via Bandai), and Bandai (Playdia, Wonderswan, Pippin)."
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2005-10-07, 1:09 PM #11
Originally posted by Jepman:
Ok so remind me why I want the old granny to play my video games? Thats a pathetic point.

You don't NEED a button, the controller is your tool to interact with the game world.

Even then, the controller will insert into a conventional controller shell.

No one is being alienated here.
2005-10-07, 1:27 PM #12
I like to play my games with a controller, not play magician with a magic wand. The only thing I see this good for is swing the remote in sword fights. But even then, I can imagine the nerds in their living room sticking out their toungues will swinging some remote around wildly. Just... ew.
2005-10-07, 1:28 PM #13
Yeah, well fatties need excersize. :P
2005-10-07, 1:31 PM #14
The new nintendo controller will be great... for games specifically designed to use it.
But for regular gaming it will just plain suck.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2005-10-07, 1:32 PM #15
Originally posted by Deadman:
The new nintendo controller will be great... for games specifically designed to use it.
But for regular gaming it will just plain suck.

Which is what they are making a conventional controller shell for.
2005-10-07, 1:52 PM #16

The point is that the Revolution will appeal to everyone, not just the hardcore gamers. Wider market = more customers.

And gamers 'settle' for fun games. Really, if you were a little more open minded you'd enjoy your gaming time a lot more.
2005-10-07, 1:59 PM #17
Originally posted by Freelancer:
The average consumer doesn't care whether Sony is making a profit or not. They care about the quality of the games for the console.

Likewise, I don't care if Nintendo pulled off some slick business maneuvers in order to pull a profit. I care if the games for its console are games I would like to play.

That doesn't help sony in any way whatsoever seeing as how they might be going under, now does it? If the business goes under, what good does what the consumer cares about matter? Then they DON'T HAVE A FREAKING BUSINESS TO CONTINUE MAKING CONSOLES.
D E A T H
2005-10-07, 2:02 PM #18
Originally posted by Gilgamesh85:
...Indeed. 100+ years of gaming?

They made board games and such in them olden days
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-10-07, 2:12 PM #19
Originally posted by Genki:
They made board games and such in them olden days

Card games.
D E A T H
2005-10-07, 2:49 PM #20
Originally posted by Freelancer:
The average consumer doesn't care whether Sony is making a profit or not.

Very true.

Sony, however, cares.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2005-10-09, 12:14 PM #21
Thats so weird because I thought the PSP was killing nintendo...
2005-10-09, 12:18 PM #22
[QUOTE=Unknown User]Thats so weird because I thought the PSP was killing nintendo...[/QUOTE]
No not even close
the DS is doing awesome
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-10-09, 12:18 PM #23
[QUOTE=Unknown User]Thats so weird because I thought the PSP was killing nintendo...[/QUOTE]

How in the world could you think that? I know like.. 2 people that have PSPs, and I know 50+ people that have a GBA, SP or DS.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2005-10-09, 12:23 PM #24
The PSP had magnificent launch sales in Europe, but the DS is far ahead.

Sigh. Sony could easily be winning in the handheld market right now if they made the following improvements:

1.) Unlocked homebrew so you didn't need to use hacks, swap tricks or downgrades. Version 1.0 firmware (released in Japan) supported this, but the US release did not.

2.) Focused more on getting games on the shelf and less on UMD movies. Sony isn't a game company, Nintendo is - which is why there are already so many worthwhile titles for DS while the PSP has a library of about 3 good games and 12 god awful ones.
2005-10-09, 12:57 PM #25
Jepman, you make it sound like you have experience with a controller like the Revolution. Seems like all the die hards state it's a stupid idea and want a regular controller, when they haven't tried it yet.

Try it when it comes out, then complain how you don't like it. And like they've said, you can use it as it's innovation with certain games, and then use a shell so its like a normal controller for other games.
2005-10-09, 1:10 PM #26
Originally posted by Jon`C:
The PSP had magnificent launch sales in Europe, but the DS is far ahead.

Sigh. Sony could easily be winning in the handheld market right now if they made the following improvements:

1.) Unlocked homebrew so you didn't need to use hacks, swap tricks or downgrades. Version 1.0 firmware (released in Japan) supported this, but the US release did not.

2.) Focused more on getting games on the shelf and less on UMD movies. Sony isn't a game company, Nintendo is - which is why there are already so many worthwhile titles for DS while the PSP has a library of about 3 good games and 12 god awful ones.

Or didnt cost $300.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2005-10-09, 1:11 PM #27
Originally posted by fishstickz:
How in the world could you think that? I know like.. 2 people that have PSPs, and I know 50+ people that have a GBA, SP or DS.

I know a load of people who have PSPs, but then again they only watch movies
2005-10-09, 1:12 PM #28
How are mfag and sony losing so much money on consoles? Didnt microsoft say they fixed that after making the 1st xbox?
2005-10-09, 1:18 PM #29
[QUOTE=Unknown User]How are mfag and sony losing so much money on consoles? Didnt microsoft say they fixed that after making the 1st xbox?[/QUOTE]
that's why the new one is $400
</sarcasm>
2005-10-09, 1:39 PM #30
Originally posted by fishstickz:
Or didnt cost $300.

That really has nothing to do with it. I know a ton of people who got the DS because of its lineup, and because it's supposedly going to be more open for homebrew etc. The PSP has a solid game lineup...or did at least for the first few months. They haven't released more than a handful of decent games since launch, whereas the DS is just starting to roll out it's lineup. The saving graces of the PSP will be GT4 mobile (god knows when that comes out) and GTA:LCS which comes out later this month. And btw, I know a lot more people that have PSP's than have DS's. It's not really winning the war here in the US (it did for a while, but the only reason it did/is is because of the kids who wanted it. The PSP targets a much older market). It doesn't matter how many people you know that own DS' and how many that own PSP's. It's more the adults buying it for kids (which is a much bigger market) and the early release that owned the PSP. Otherwise, to be honest, at this point they're about even. The place the PSP is really blooming is the movies section and the homebrew section. Once the barebones system comes out, and the games start hitting the shelves, I think it's going to be a big hit this Christmas.
D E A T H
2005-10-09, 2:00 PM #31
[QUOTE=Compos Mentis]that's why the new one is $400[/QUOTE]

Yeah but the article says its still losing money on the 360
2005-10-09, 2:06 PM #32
[QUOTE=Unknown User]Yeah but the article says its still losing money on the 360[/QUOTE]

I severely doubt they're losing money on the 360.
D E A T H
2005-10-09, 3:15 PM #33
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]I severely doubt they're losing money on the 360.[/QUOTE]I can pretty much guarantee it costs more to manufacture the Xbox 360 than the MSRP.
2005-10-09, 3:19 PM #34
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]That really has nothing to do with it. I know a ton of people who got the DS because of its lineup, and because it's supposedly going to be more open for homebrew etc. The PSP has a solid game lineup...or did at least for the first few months. They haven't released more than a handful of decent games since launch, whereas the DS is just starting to roll out it's lineup. The saving graces of the PSP will be GT4 mobile (god knows when that comes out) and GTA:LCS which comes out later this month. And btw, I know a lot more people that have PSP's than have DS's. It's not really winning the war here in the US (it did for a while, but the only reason it did/is is because of the kids who wanted it. The PSP targets a much older market). It doesn't matter how many people you know that own DS' and how many that own PSP's. It's more the adults buying it for kids (which is a much bigger market) and the early release that owned the PSP. Otherwise, to be honest, at this point they're about even. The place the PSP is really blooming is the movies section and the homebrew section. Once the barebones system comes out, and the games start hitting the shelves, I think it's going to be a big hit this Christmas.[/QUOTE]
The thing to remember is that the GBASP is still totally pwnzering the handheld market. Period.
</sarcasm>
2005-10-09, 3:24 PM #35
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi] The place the PSP is really blooming is the movies section and the homebrew section.[/QUOTE]
PSP homebrew is almost nonexistant thanks to Sony's [WATCHYOURLANGUAGEMR]headed approach to firmaware upgrades. With the DS, all you need is a wireless card and you're set.
SpamBlogger
"u r dumb, stop or ill sue u
- jak thomsun

p.s. ur gay" - Victor Van Dort

New disclaimer - Any brain damage suffered as a result of typographical errors is the reader's liability.
2005-10-09, 3:26 PM #36
Originally posted by FancyMan:
PSP homebrew is almost nonexistant thanks to Sony's ****headed approach to firmaware upgrades. With the DS, all you need is a wireless card and you're set.

no psp has the best homebrew because anyone who wants homebrew is smart enough to either not upgrade their firmware or use the downgraders.

I haven't seen much ds homebrew at all, do you have any links?
</sarcasm>
2005-10-09, 3:29 PM #37
[QUOTE=Compos Mentis]no psp has the best homebrew because anyone who wants homebrew is smart enough to either not upgrade their firmware or use the downgraders.

I haven't seen much ds homebrew at all, do you have any links?[/QUOTE]
http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/
DCEmu is GOD ON A SERVER.

EDIT: Also... YOU CAN RUN SCUMMVM!! It's like an orgy of Lucasarts goodness in your hands.
EDIT2: " " " " LINUX!! " " " " " OPEN SOURCE " " " ".
SpamBlogger
"u r dumb, stop or ill sue u
- jak thomsun

p.s. ur gay" - Victor Van Dort

New disclaimer - Any brain damage suffered as a result of typographical errors is the reader's liability.
2005-10-09, 4:04 PM #38

I find that funny because most gamers STARTED OUT playing on "little simple two button things", as you so eloquently put it.

Game play always wins over complexity or GFX, period.
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2005-10-09, 4:19 PM #39
This is why cavestory is one of the best games EVER
</sarcasm>
2005-10-09, 4:50 PM #40
Originally posted by FancyMan:
With the DS, all you need is a wireless card and you're set.

Actually, you need to disable the wifi checksum checking first before you can load non-Nintendo apps over the wifi. To do this you need a hardware card (PassMe) that goes into the DS slot and allows for DS code to be executed from a GBA flash cart. Of course you need one of those too. Then you can load a firmware crack onto the flash cart to disable the checksum. THEN it becomes simple... but you need a specific wireless chipset to use the drivers for the DS.

Of course you can also run stuff off the flash card itself. It's just two different ways of loading homebrew stuff.

As a DS user, I'd say the PSP is better with homebrew stuff.

↑ Up to the top!