Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Jack Thompson's games
Jack Thompson's games
2005-10-12, 11:47 AM #1
He's got a new idea.

If it weren't for the unrealistic deadline I think someone would make his game.
I certainly would if I had the funds, knowledge, skill, team and patience.

It will be interesting what Take Two's answer is to that.
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-10-12, 12:10 PM #2
Sounds fun.
omnia mea mecum porto
2005-10-12, 12:11 PM #3
CTRL-ALT-DEL already created a response to that.

(token language warning)

http://ctrlaltdel-online.com/images/comics/20051012.jpg
2005-10-12, 12:15 PM #4
Wow, that's really interesting. I wish a videogame company would take this job, just to prove that it IS just a videogame. I can see where he's coming from, but the games he mentions (Postal2, GTA) are so comical, exaggerated, and ridiculous that it's stupid to take them serious.

I can't wait for the gamers and game designers to respond to this. Woo boy.
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2005-10-12, 12:53 PM #5
Sounds like a mod of Postal 2 could easily do the trick.
Pissed Off?
2005-10-12, 12:57 PM #6
I even have a charity for him to donate to.

My pocket.
2005-10-12, 1:04 PM #7
That game sounds pretty entertaining, actually. I'd probably buy it for the novelty.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-10-12, 1:12 PM #8
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
CTRL-ALT-DEL already created a response to that.

(token language warning)

http://ctrlaltdel-online.com/images/comics/20051012.jpg

That would be so much cooler if it weren't for the threat at the end. That just makes us look bad. >.<
2005-10-12, 1:16 PM #9
From PA:

You may have seen Jack’s proposal mentioned on various news sites. He’s offering 10 grand to charity if a game developer makes a game based on his insane proposal.

So I got his email address and I went ahead and sent Jack a note this morning:

10 grand is pretty weak man. Through our charity [url]www.childsplaycharity.org[/url] gamers have given over half a million dollars in toys and cash to children’s hospitals all over the country.

I’ll let you know if he responds.

The fact is when we kick off Child’s Play 2005 on November 1st we’ll be going global. We’ll be delivering videogames and toys to children’s hospitals all over the world now. I don’t think there’s any better response to Jack’s insane ramblings than that. Maybe Jack would like to donate his 10 grand to Child’s Play, that could buy a lot of Game Boys.

-Gabe out

One hour later:

My email sig had my phone number in it. Jack actually just called and screamed at me for a couple minutes. He said if I email him again I will “regret it”. What a violent man.

-Gabe out
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2005-10-12, 2:00 PM #10
Wow. What an ******* (if it's true).
Pissed Off?
2005-10-12, 2:09 PM #11
Why does he say "Go ahead video game industry. I dare you." Does he like, think we won't because we think it will hurt the industry or somehow prove his point?

His proposal doesn't say that the developers can't place references to Jack Thompson's stupidity all throughout the game. If they did it properly, like actually took on his points with facts, it would be a serious blow to his cause. Since the protagonist is fighting against the video game opposition, the developers could make the video game backfire with logic and facts. Jack Thompson could also be a character in the game, who would appear as the flaming idiot he is.

Oh man I hope someone takes up this project. It could backfire so badly.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-10-12, 2:44 PM #12
/me goes to Bestbuy and smashes employees in the checkouts while screaming "You should have checked kids' IDs!"
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-10-12, 3:47 PM #13
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
']That would be so much cooler if it weren't for the threat at the end. That just makes us look bad. >.<

Eh, I agree.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-10-12, 4:03 PM #14
I just find it so hard to believe that people like him get positions of power in this country. This is a man who, after losing to Janet Reno for State Attorney, accused her of being a deranged closet lesbian in debt to the mafia. People take this man seriously.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2005-10-12, 4:04 PM #15
[QUOTE=Bounty Hunter 4 hire]I just find it so hard to believe that people like him get positions of power in this country. This is a man who, after losing to Janet Reno for State Attorney, accused her of being a deranged closet lesbian in debt to the mafia. People take this man seriously.[/QUOTE]

Well, she does kind of come off as that.
D E A T H
2005-10-12, 4:16 PM #16
You come off as an arrogant, opinionated fool, but that's not the case. Usually. ;)
2005-10-12, 4:19 PM #17
Originally posted by Emon:
You come off as an arrogant, opinionated fool, but that's not the case. Usually. ;)

;)
D E A T H
2005-10-12, 4:25 PM #18
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
;)

;)
2005-10-12, 4:26 PM #19
haha
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-10-12, 4:36 PM #20
I just don't see how people can be so ignorant. If a kid plays a video game like GTA for hours on end and then goes and lives it out, that kid was messed up to begin with. Some people just seem to think video games are these all-powerful devices with the ability to control people's mind or something. It's practically interactive TV! You can watch TV and see the same type of violence and criminal acts that you do in video games.
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2005-10-12, 4:41 PM #21
Kids shouldn't play violent video games. Young adults at the earliest. Video games can mess you up when you're young. But make influence you to kill people or train you to use guns? Please. For every ****ed up kid out there, there must be thousands that are completely normal whilst playing more violent games.
2005-10-12, 4:46 PM #22
I play M rated games all the time at age 15, and I'm very normal. The thought of hurting a real person sickens me, I generally avoid fights of any kind, etc.
DO NOT WANT.
2005-10-12, 5:00 PM #23
He dosen't get it. The point of games is not the violence. It's like hunting. The point of hunting is not to cause the animal to suffer.
2005-10-12, 5:01 PM #24
I'd probably let my (hypothetical) 2-year-old play GTA.
It's a good thing I'm not a parent.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-10-12, 5:07 PM #25
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
He dosen't get it. The point of games is not the violence. It's like hunting. The point of hunting is not to cause the animal to suffer.

Buh? The point of games like GTA IS the violence dude. :p
2005-10-12, 6:24 PM #26
His proposal is lame. An embarassment to Jonathan Swift.

Now that's a really modest proposal.
2005-10-12, 6:51 PM #27
"First of all, is it really "charity" if you're asking something in return? Why not just donate the money for the sake of helping other people, Jack? Why do you have to use it as a publicity stunt to try and keep yourself in the spotlight?"
-from the rant on Ctrl-Alt-Del

I love how he quotes "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. - The Golden Rule" he can't even get his sources straight... (in case you didn't know that's from the Bible)
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2005-10-12, 6:52 PM #28
Perhaps when he calls it a "Modest Proposal" he means that he's trying to be satirical instead of serious about this. He proposes a game that he would definitely be against in order to serve as a solution to "violent gaming" or whatever.

In other words, he's a tool.
2005-10-12, 6:54 PM #29
Originally posted by Is_907:
I love how he quotes "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. - The Golden Rule" he can't even get his sources straight... (in case you didn't know that's from the Bible)

"Love your neighbor" is from the Bible. Do unto others is the Golden Rule, Confucious style.
2005-10-12, 6:55 PM #30
Jack Thompson is dumb.
2005-10-12, 6:56 PM #31
']Buh? The point of games like GTA IS the violence dude. :p

Not the same sort. You're not playing the game just to see simulated suffering. That's not the point.
2005-10-12, 7:56 PM #32
Damn, this guy doesn't know when to quit, does he? He had his fifteen minutes with the Hot Coffee bull**** (in which he played a relatively small part, writing threatening letters to some of the most powerful names in the entertainment industry about how he was going to "take them down") and then faded back into relative obscurity. Nobody outside the gaming community will likely even hear about this, much less care, so what's the big deal?
2005-10-12, 8:06 PM #33
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Not the same sort. You're not playing the game just to see simulated suffering. That's not the point.

Yes it is. Nearly everyone who plays says they have the most fun running around randomly killing pedestrians. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I'm just saying we shouldn't try to play it down.
2005-10-12, 8:34 PM #34
']Yes it is. Nearly everyone who plays says they have the most fun running around randomly killing pedestrians. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I'm just saying we shouldn't try to play it down.

But that's not the point...it's having the freedom to do anything, especially something like that. I know I personally hate killing pedestrians--it's just a pain. Not worth it. I only do it if I need money really badly or am looking for a weapon (and even then only gangster looking ones). I go after gang members and drug dealers if I go after anyone really...but it's the freedom, not killing that makes me love the game.
D E A T H
2005-10-12, 8:41 PM #35
Originally posted by Genki:
/me goes to Bestbuy and smashes employees in the checkouts while screaming "You should have checked kids' IDs!"

It'd be cool if you could beat up kids beforehand, get fake ids, then throw them at Bestbuy employees like ninja stars!
2005-10-12, 9:01 PM #36
Man, I didn't think that guy could get any more dumb. That was just stupid... I've heard better rants by message board trolls.

I love the fact that he acts like a kid would need a criminal history in order to commit a crime. Cause you know...every criminal's "first crime" is backed by a criminal history. :p
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-10-13, 6:10 PM #37
His title parodied "A modest proposal". Seriously, I hate Thompson. He... just... burns ...
2005-10-14, 1:23 AM #38
<_<
>_>

I'm going to murder someone by stuffing legal papers down their throat. I will then say Jack Thompson made me do it, and get HIM banned from sale.
SpamBlogger
"u r dumb, stop or ill sue u
- jak thomsun

p.s. ur gay" - Victor Van Dort

New disclaimer - Any brain damage suffered as a result of typographical errors is the reader's liability.
2005-10-14, 11:08 AM #39
Update to the penny arcade thing:

And All Of It True

Fri, October 14 2005 - 4:30 AM
by: Tycho

Jack Thompson really did call him, but I should tell you how that came to be.

As I've suggested in this space before, Gabriel's "super power" (if you will) is to suss out the exact thing that will drive a person out of their ****ing minds. He's only utilized this ability on me twice, and and it stings to recall them. They're actually too cruel to relate. It's important to me that you sort of like him, even in the abstract.

He felt certain that the over half a million dollars raised by Child's Play would jab him brutally. He was not wrong.

So certain was he that this knowledge would barb the codger into wild madness that he included his phone number in a hastily composed "sig." He was not surprised in the least when a number he did not recognize appeared on his cell. I was trying to collect the Iron Golem soul, I was busy at the time.

Gabe turned to look at me, not just with his head but his whole body, a single motion that had a mechanical look. He asked if it was really Jack Thompson, and it was at this point I knew he had done something wrong. I don't doubt that his adventures, both online and off, are a source of amusement for a percentage of the readership. Secretly, I delight in them - but he must not be allowed to know. His glee in these endeavors is already a kinetic force.

Conversation one is where Jack Thompson asks Gabe if Gabe has ever donated to charity. Of course, we have - it's usually a couple Gameboys a year for Child's Play, but the "take" from the distributed gamer metamind is over five hundred thousand dollars in two years. This answer did not satisfy him. He suggested that if Gabe mailed him again, he would be sued so fast that his head would "spin," and that he, Jack Thompson, had given more to charity that Gabe could even imagine. Gabe isn't very good at math, so he may have a point. I'm told that humbers larger than ten give him a headache. What's more, his donations were worth more, because he wasn't some flush-with-cash game company. Which I guess is relevant to us, because... Well, I guess it's not relevant.

Then he hung up.

Usually when a person threatens us with a lawsuit we don't really pay attention. The fact of the matter is that rude people and idiots often try to threaten people by gesturing wildly at the edifice of the legal system. But this man is actually a lawyer, and also demonstrably crazy, and he apparently has time to call random people who mail him on the phone so maybe he's looking for something to do. In any case, we aren't a flush with cash game company, so at the very least my cohort wanted to excise this erroneous statement from the record.

This next mail elicited a second call, which we have detailed in the strip. Gabe's own voice rose triumphantly throughout this phase, I thought perhaps he was just getting into the rhetorical spirit of the thing, but the reality is that Jack screamed at him the entire time. The point he submitted went without answer: if a company made his reprehensible game, he would literally have to sue himself and talk about what a ******* he was on national television. Of course, he's not serious. Machination is too glorified a word for what he's doing. Ruse would make it seem debonair. He's essentially holding money hostage from charity, and if someone did make it, even as a joke, he would say that it didn't conform to his "design." This sort of thing is usually called a shell-game. The song license itself he mentions - Lawyers In Love - would probably run anywhere from ten to fifteen thousand by itself.

This vile "challenge" Jack Thompson has put to the supposedly monolithic "game industry" is like a topographical map of the twisted fantasy realm he inhabits. I could excerpt it, but I don't want to be accused of selective editing. The reality is that what he suggests is grotesque. I mean that it is literally disgusting. Of course, the violent acts he's cobbled together here from other games are robbed of a narrative context in which they make sense. Killing Gamestop and EB employees, though? That's not metaphor. He's not being metaphorical. He is bat**** ****ing loco insane.

In the games I play, I've spent the last week performing surgeries and saving lives - whenever I wasn't in court defending the wrongly accused. You know what I'm saying? Just steeped in subversive moral messages.

(CW)TB out.

(this is outlaw, not tycho, so though i found the link form PA, the following comment is my own. Not saying tycho wouldn't agree though) Also, This article was found. quite intersting. apparently everyone hates Jack Tompson now.
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2005-10-14, 11:52 AM #40
[QUOTE=Jedi Legend]"Love your neighbor" is from the Bible. Do unto others is the Golden Rule, Confucious style.[/QUOTE]
Luke 6:31
it's there.
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo

↑ Up to the top!