Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → GTA: Liberty City Stories
GTA: Liberty City Stories
2005-10-22, 1:52 PM #1
I don't know about everyone else, but I've been anxiously waiting for this game for a long time. It comes out this Monday/Tuesday ish for the PSP.
ANyone else as excited as me?

http://psp.ign.com/articles/659/659001p1.html
http://psp.ign.com/articles/653/653415p1.html
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2005-10-22, 1:57 PM #2
I don't have a PSP, but I really want to see how it turns out.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2005-10-22, 2:23 PM #3
I bet'll be good.
2005-10-22, 2:56 PM #4
I WANT
D E A T H
2005-10-22, 3:58 PM #5
Hmm, I might go buy a PSP after all.
nope.
2005-10-22, 4:10 PM #6
gta3+motorbikes+online[maybe?]+psp= SWEET
2005-10-22, 4:41 PM #7
shame it's for psp only. I cant warrant buying a psp just for this game.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-10-22, 5:48 PM #8
I'd be excited if I had a PSP. :gbk:
2005-10-22, 6:07 PM #9
Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi:
shame it's for psp only. I cant warrant buying a psp just for this game.

Then how about for Lumines, Wipeout Pure, Hot Shots, Burnout Legends, X-Men Legends 2 (online play), and massive amounts of movies, mods, and homebrew content?

I want this game so badly...but I also found out X-Men Legends 2 has online with the PSP version. Online Legends wherever I go (almost everywhere in my town has wifi of some sort). That's a tempting concept.
D E A T H
2005-10-22, 9:30 PM #10
Looks cool, but I'm still holding out for DS Civ.
2005-10-23, 2:15 PM #11
I'll be picking it up this tuesday. I've been waiting for this all summer.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2005-10-23, 2:23 PM #12
I shall be getting this on Tuesday the hour EB Games opens...
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2005-10-23, 3:05 PM #13
I've been interested in a few of the PSP games but I don't think this will be quite as good as it's counter parts. There's only so many people you can run over with the same-handling cars.
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2005-10-23, 3:11 PM #14
It's not going to be GTA:SA

Even if it's not... it has a heck of alot more features than ... well I'm sure it's debatable, but probably ALL the other psp games.

Online play, multiplayer, a large open area to play in. I'm not sure if the gameplay will be good, but it will likely, despite being JUST ok or EXCELLENT, be the best psp game on the market for the time being.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2005-10-23, 4:48 PM #15
I would get it....if I have a PSP.
2005-10-23, 6:23 PM #16
Once this comes out I predict that Jack Thompson is going to raise hell again....
2005-10-23, 6:34 PM #17
No, it's not San Andreas, but it will probably be a lot like Vice City's player options in the setting of Liberty City (minus the helecopters), which is great for a handheld. It's Grand Theft Auto in the palms of my hands. It will not disappoint.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
2005-10-23, 11:28 PM #18
That game is the only reason now why I would buy PSP. Gotta wait few weeks/months/years to get them both though.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-10-24, 12:58 AM #19
It's coming out tommorrow, so I'm going to see if I can snatch a copy (unlikely opening day). if not, I'll wait till wednesday or whatever.
2005-10-24, 1:23 PM #20
No reviews till later today it seems.
And I can't find a copy, it appears that all the stores around are selling it tommorrow at the earliest. Which means... that I ended out reserving a copy and paying up front for it.

I gotta wait 24 hours :P
2005-10-24, 9:54 PM #21
First review I've seen...

http://psp.ign.com/articles/661/661082p1.html

9.0/10
2005-10-24, 9:58 PM #22
Read it through and through. The multiplayer is what MTA has been meaning to get done for years now. I'm so getting this game.
D E A T H
2005-10-25, 11:14 AM #23
i just picked up my copy on my way to work.

its really crazy how they managed to pack all this content into a tiny disk.

the multiplayer is impressive. its synchronized very well. and intense. You can unlock skins for multiplayer throughout the singleplayer.

at first the framerate is a little slow. and your like dang. but then it grows on to you within a min and dont even notice it.

the game is really its own game. its not a cheap port at all. they touched up liberty city alot. the voice acting and radio stations are all there and original. i still dont understand how they manage to fit all this content onto this disk.

as usual the game comes with a poster. lol
2005-10-25, 11:39 AM #24
I was getting excited about this game after seeing the great review scores...that is until I actually read them after a summary of the IGN review on Evil Avatar.

Quote:
Things it pointed out

1. they describe the targeting system as "this targeting system feels downright broken when in comparison to other 3D action titles."

2. missions vary from way to hard to way to easy.

3. load times sound terrible! "More importantly though, these travel-intensive missions become wildly time consuming -- Every mission in LCS takes only five to ten minutes of action to complete, but then there's the five minutes of travel and two minutes of load times to consider. Plus, some of the missions can be tough, so you'll try each several times."

4. the travel system sounds annoying. "LCS includes a taxi cab system where a taxi ferries you back to a mission when you die. But the consequences for using this system are way too severe. To start, you lose every single weapon in your possession. And if you had body armor you lose that also. Certain weapons are very rare and some are just expensive. Either way you never, ever want to lose them. So taking a taxi after losing a mission is a total non-option."

5. you can't save at any time. "Add this to the fact you can't save the game wherever you want (only at three safe houses) and things become very unfriendly."

6. cops focus only on you despite any other criminals or crimes going on.

I'll wait for the GameSpot review before buying this.
2005-10-25, 12:31 PM #25
not everything that guy says is even acurate.

load times can be long but only like 15-30 seconds at the most
2005-10-25, 2:40 PM #26
Well I've done 2 missions so far, and I can say this game is great!

I wish rockstar got a new engine, honestly, because it feels justl ike playing the other GTA games, but nonetheless, there are hardly any problems I can see with this game. It's an amazing accomplishment for a handheld.

Rockstar got voice acting remeniscent of GTA:SA, I heard my first F word at mission 2 :P. That's kinda a complaint honestly, I liked that the original GTA3 was less about profanity. I'm guessing I'll be of a very small list of people who thinks that though. Anyway, this game is great so far. The targeting system isn't that bad, I'm accustomed to the point and click mouse version since i don't have a PS2, and I had no problem with it at all. Yes, it is a bit annoying to cycle through stuff, but no more than cycling through weapons for coded arms. It's not that bad. Not remotely worth passing the game aside for, there are too many pros.

The safehouses aren't the same as the ones in GTA3, at least so far. I like that, and missions take place in different locations that were never mission locations before. This is an original game! I love it.

Im ight post more after I play it more.
2005-10-25, 4:20 PM #27
I just picked up my copy, and it's awesome (though I had to sacrifice 1.50 goodness for it, it's more than worth it). I just can't get online play working.
D E A T H
2005-10-25, 4:24 PM #28
online = ad-hoc = you need to be near other psp owners to play multiplayer.
2005-10-25, 4:51 PM #29
Is the layout of liberty city exactly the same as it was in GTA3?
2005-10-25, 4:53 PM #30
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
Is the layout of liberty city exactly the same as it was in GTA3?

As far as I can tell...but I DID just pick up my copy today.
D E A T H
2005-10-25, 5:12 PM #31
THere are minor differences.

It's supposed to be before GTA3, so some buildings and bridges haven't been built, and such. Essentially, it's the same city, however the way it's been designed, you start in a completely different area from where GTA3 started, so don't worry about it feeling like the same game. It's implemented in a way that makes it feel unique.
2005-10-25, 5:26 PM #32
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]I just picked up my copy, and it's awesome (though I had to sacrifice 1.50 goodness for it, it's more than worth it). I just can't get online play working.[/QUOTE]

LMAO, you upgraded? Why? You don't have to!
2005-10-25, 5:28 PM #33
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]LMAO, you upgraded? Why? You don't have to![/QUOTE]

Yes, yes you do. I got a message when I tried to play that said "You must upgrade before you play this game."

Either way, it's not that big of a deal. The only major things homebrew brought to the table for me were the emulators and the movies. The rest is in 2.5 anyways. Now I have another reason to get a gig stick--music for my GTA to go :)
D E A T H
2005-10-25, 5:30 PM #34
What firmware version does GTA upgrade to? The regular 2.00 release I hope?

EDIT: Yes. You will NOT be able to use any (existing) version changers to trick the game into thinking you have 2.00. You have to have the actual 2.00 on the system. You can still downgrade to 1.50 with the downgrader though. Although it would be kind of annoying to try to run homebrew and GTA at the same time because they can't really coexist on the same firmware.
2005-10-25, 5:44 PM #35
Okay, so many uneducated folk:

Take a game that does not require an update. Launch it. While the PSP logo is flying by, slap that GTA disc in and pop the other one out. GTA will load, with absolutely no issues.

Works for ANY game that requires an update.
2005-10-25, 6:04 PM #36
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]Okay, so many uneducated folk:

Take a game that does not require an update. Launch it. While the PSP logo is flying by, slap that GTA disc in and pop the other one out. GTA will load, with absolutely no issues.

Works for ANY game that requires an update.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, except I had to trade in all my other games to get GTA.
D E A T H
2005-10-26, 9:11 AM #37
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Yeah, except I had to trade in all my other games to get GTA.[/QUOTE]

It's your own damn fault for not having Lumines, then.
2005-10-26, 11:01 PM #38
Well, in the interests of keeping this thread alive, I'll just comment on the game as of yet.

It's amazing. I love it.

It's the best PSP game to date (not that that's a surprise).

I spent an hour doing cop missions, surprisingly the only problem I had was learning how to shoot on the sides of the vehicle. The only real problem with this vs trying it on the PC is that you can't do turns while shooting to the side. You can only go in reverse or forward while shooting. Doing this maneuver is dangerous on the PC anyway, but nonetheless would make it easier for those cars that aren't always directly next to you. It's not that much of a crying over thing though, as the chases and battles are so reminiscent of the PC versions anyway. So much fun.

I might try taxi or hospital missions next.

The missions are fun and brutal as ever. I'm on a "race against time to transport people" mission, I just realized that it's easier to use a slow 3-person vehicle than a 1-person speedy motorcycle.

Going back to the mechanics of the game, it's sooooo much like the console/PC versions. Slight obvious texture changes, which are hardly noticable due to the smallness of hte system and screen anways. There are some things you can do that weren't in the original GTA3 game, such as, motorcycles of course, but also multiple weapons for one weapon category. IE, two different kinds of submachine guns, however you can only keep one on hand at a time.

It took me awhile to notice that the radio was there at first, on a handheld the last thing you expect is a truly interactive experience of driving + listening to the radio. Once I got into the game I had more time to listen to the radio and despite some of the song choices being poor, the radio is great. It's original, It's got chatterbox and lazlow again (always hillarious). It's not a smaller rendition of the radio with crappy sounds and less songs, it's as original and quality as all the other GTA games.

I can't think of anything else to say but i"m sure more might come.

How does everyone else like the game?
2005-10-27, 1:24 AM #39
I wonder what the reviewers are comparing this game to when deciding a score. I hate to say it, but just a 9 isn't high enough. Nothing like this has ever been done on a handheld before. This game is so amazing, I have a feeling they're comparing it to console games.

Quote:
1. they describe the targeting system as "this targeting system feels downright broken when in comparison to other 3D action titles."

Meh, it's a little annoying, but they all die just the same. I wonder, how many 3rd Person Shooter handheld games are there?

Quote:
2. missions vary from way to hard to way to easy.

And don't forget that spot somewhere in the middle called "challenging". All games are like this.

Quote:
3. load times sound terrible! "More importantly though, these travel-intensive missions become wildly time consuming -- Every mission in LCS takes only five to ten minutes of action to complete, but then there's the five minutes of travel and two minutes of load times to consider. Plus, some of the missions can be tough, so you'll try each several times."

This is completely wrong! Most load times are no longer than 5 seconds. Also, I don't think any of the missions have taken me more than 5 minutes so far.

Quote:
4. the travel system sounds annoying. "LCS includes a taxi cab system where a taxi ferries you back to a mission when you die. But the consequences for using this system are way too severe. To start, you lose every single weapon in your possession. And if you had body armor you lose that also. Certain weapons are very rare and some are just expensive. Either way you never, ever want to lose them. So taking a taxi after losing a mission is a total non-option."

I'm pretty sure the cab only picks you up when you fail a mission by dying or getting busted (that's the only time I've seen it), so you've already lost your weapons and armor anyway. Besides, you don't have to take the cab. It just waits there for you, if you want it. I like it.

Quote:
5. you can't save at any time. "Add this to the fact you can't save the game wherever you want (only at three safe houses) and things become very unfriendly."

Perhaps you've heard of sleep mode? Pause the game wherever you are, and enter sleep mode. When you want to play again, there will be a short load time (again, no more than 5 seconds), and you'll be right back where you paused it.

Quote:
6. cops focus only on you despite any other criminals or crimes going on.

No different than GTA3. Obviously, the LCPD just has something against us gamers. Edit: Right after posting this, I saw some cops gun down a mafia guy, so I guess they do go after other people too.

Listen, it's Grand Theft Auto. There has never been a bad GTA game. Even the originals, while not great, were still loads of fun. This game is better than GTA3, and it's on a handheld. It's worth having. In fact, your PSP collection is worthless without this game, and everyone will laugh at you if you don't own it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm just about done the Portland missions...
2005-10-27, 6:20 AM #40
I would hesitate to give any game ever higher than a 9. 10/10 means flawless, cannot be improved up on in any way, i've never played a game that I haven't been able to think of ways to improve.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter

↑ Up to the top!