Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Regaurding HL2...
Regaurding HL2...
2005-10-23, 9:04 PM #1
Anyone know what happened to the old Bronze/Silver/Gold packages? Their new deals SUCK.
2005-10-23, 9:05 PM #2
[QUOTE=Lord Kuat]Anyone know what happened to the old Bronze/Silver/Gold packages? Their new deals SUCK.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, they got tired of giving away good deals. Silly valve.

No but really they were limited offers, you missed out.
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-10-23, 9:10 PM #3
Hehe. "Regaurding"
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-10-23, 9:15 PM #4
Originally posted by Echoman:
Hehe. "Regaurding"

Oh noes, an extra U, BURN THE WHICH!*

*on purpose
2005-10-23, 9:19 PM #5
Yeah, it was always a limited time thing. You had ample time to buy it.

Sadly, CS:S is no longer with HL2. However, both are worthy of their price now IMO.

DoD:S. No. Maybe once more maps come out, but as of now - it is not (from my experiences). I know some love it, but DoD:S just isn't the same as it used to be with DoD, and it just feels slow and blah to me. I played DoD all the time, but DoD:S is :gbk:

In some ways, I think it will kill the community in some games. Like HL2: DM, not many will pay $10 to get that now. It's funny for like an hour, but then gets old. It was cool as a bonus, but not a standalone. Therefore, I doubt HL2: DM will be getting many new players
2005-10-23, 9:23 PM #6
Originally posted by Demon_Nightmare:
Yeah, it was always a limited time thing. You had ample time to buy it.

Sadly, CS:S is no longer with HL2. However, both are worthy of their price now IMO.

DoD:S. No. Maybe once more maps come out, but as of now - it is not (from my experiences). I know some love it, but DoD:S just isn't the same as it used to be with DoD, and it just feels slow and blah to me. I played DoD all the time, but DoD:S is :gbk:

In some ways, I think it will kill the community in some games. Like HL2: DM, not many will pay $10 to get that now. It's funny for like an hour, but then gets old. It was cool as a bonus, but not a standalone. Therefore, I doubt HL2: DM will be getting many new players

h2 premier pack (59.99 us) includes CSS and DODs...
</sarcasm>
2005-10-23, 9:24 PM #7
they still have the same packages, just with different names...

http://storefront.steampowered.com/v2/index.php?area=game&AppId=220&l=&s=&i=&a=

source premiere is silver, complete is gold

you don't get the collector's stuff anymore, but that was a limited offer
Moo.
2005-10-23, 9:25 PM #8
Originally posted by A_Big_Fat_CoW:
they still have the same packages, just with different names...

http://storefront.steampowered.com/v2/index.php?area=game&AppId=220&l=&s=&i=&a=

source premiere is silver, complete is gold

you don't get the collector's stuff anymore, but that was a limited offer

Silver came with the back catalog (59.99)
now only the $80 pack comes with the back catalog.
</sarcasm>
2005-10-23, 9:26 PM #9
Base HL2+Dystopia=All you'll ever need.
2005-10-23, 9:29 PM #10
On a slightly related note, anyone hate the new, updated Steam menus and such? I find them ugly and harder to navigate. The older version was simple and nicer. Is there an option to go back?
2005-10-23, 9:32 PM #11
Originally posted by Primate:
Base HL2+Dystopia=All you'll ever need.

To weeks ago... I would have agreed...

But now I can hardly find a decent game that is not full of a bunch of griping CS players wining about how they don’t have enough heavies, or not enough Hackers, or that their hackers suck, or that nobody is defending, or just spamming the "I don’t think so sister" voice chat... :(
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2005-10-23, 9:46 PM #12
[QUOTE=West Wind]To weeks ago... I would have agreed...

But now I can hardly find a decent game that is not full of a bunch of griping CS players wining about how they don’t have enough heavies, or not enough Hackers, or that their hackers suck, or that nobody is defending, or just spamming the "I don’t think so sister" voice chat... :([/QUOTE]Hmm....Troubling indeed. We need to organize a group of Massassi players, maybe even get another server up. Shame to see another kick-*** mod fade away. Hopefully once they release some more content, it will attract more players.
2005-10-23, 10:26 PM #13
[QUOTE=Compos Mentis]Silver came with the back catalog (59.99)
now only the $80 pack comes with the back catalog.[/QUOTE]

again, limited deal. you're still getting more for your buck (everything added up would be closer to $80 for the source pack if you bought it all individually)
Moo.
2005-10-24, 5:08 AM #14
I have gradually come to believe that [apart from dystopia] all of HL2 bites. Period.
nope.
2005-10-24, 5:17 AM #15
HL2DM is fun as hell!
2005-10-24, 5:19 AM #16
Good thing I got HL2 Silver back then.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-10-24, 7:02 AM #17
I don't know about the new packages, but I sure enjoyed the HL2 Collector's Edition from Amazon.com. 50% off!
2005-10-24, 7:11 AM #18
Ah, I forgot about the new packages. Yeah, that's the thing - is it now costs you the old gold price to get what was in silver.

Still, you can get a ton of gameplay out of your money though. Plus, they're consistently adding stuff to CS:S (and they said DoD:S stuff is coming), so it's good.

Plus the mods are some of the best for any game
2005-10-24, 8:15 AM #19
I still haven't gotten HL2. When I do it'll just be for single player. Online multiplayer no longer interests me, and I hate Steam.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2005-10-24, 3:28 PM #20
DoD:S seems great to me, except for the lack of levels at this point. YOu can actually have firefights in it as opposed to the first DoD. The physics and smoke grenades and graphics make the game great. It does get pretty monotinous playing the same four maps though.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2005-10-24, 3:51 PM #21
Well at least it's only $60 for the source stuff, I put off buying an HL2 package because I won't have a computer that can play it until late next month.

Don't really need the older games anyways as I have HL on disc so CS and DOD are still free to download from Steam, right? The complete package would leave me with games I don't want taking up HD space.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-10-24, 4:38 PM #22
... Dystopia isn't all that great at all. The maps are subpar, and the gameplay is way to DM esque, and lacks the strategy I was expecting when people hyped it for me. It's basically deathmatch with annoying strategy elements incorporated. And it's NOTHING like Deus Ex, and it's NOT a Cyber-Punk-MMO like people claimed it'd be a long time ago. It's just an ok mod. Once more is added, I'll come back to it, but as of now, it's poop.

DOD:S is, however, far from 'slower.' It's still just as fun, and hardly different. In fact, the game is probably more fun now that you can't get killed from a gigantic hitbox.

Oh, and HL2 isn't all that worth it, unless you are interested in investing a bunch of time learning and using garrysmod. CSS is still good fun if you can find a decent server with decent people. And a decent map. There ARE more maps that Dust1/2, and Office, believe it or not.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-10-24, 4:55 PM #23
Originally posted by JediKirby:
There ARE more maps that Dust1/2, and Office, believe it or not.
JediKirby

Yeah, that's one annoying thing about the majority of CS:S servers. Other maps, like Havana for ex., are really good, yet some servers never touch 'em.
2005-10-24, 5:03 PM #24
I get scores like 3:7 on most of the stock maps, but then you put me as a CT in Compound, or a CT in Courthouse, I suddenly have 10:1 ratios, and kick major ***. Those stock maps are just head to head full frontal, all shooting-based maps. I consider myself a bad aim, but a good strategist, so I tend to do better on maps that ALLOW strategy, rather than the absolute crap of Dust maps. You don't NEED to have pinpoint aim when the enemy isn't expecting what you do.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-10-24, 5:26 PM #25
I don't see what's so facinating about the dust maps. They look good, but they get boring fast.
2005-10-24, 5:32 PM #26
They're not that great of maps, but there aren't any better default valve maps for teamplay (except Aztec and Italy, maybe). Cobble is a close runners-up.

The only other decent maps are user-made.
D E A T H
2005-10-24, 6:09 PM #27
Come on Yoshi, I thought you and I were big Chateau supporters!? That's possibly my second favorite map, right behind Compound.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-10-24, 6:10 PM #28
I play in a CS:S server with lots of custom maps, and olds maps too. Varies it up and keeps it fresh
2005-10-24, 6:17 PM #29
I don't play a lot of custom maps, simply out of dispise for new maps that I have to download and probably won't see on many servers anyway.

Any GOOD custom maps that are played often? By 'good' I mean multiple paths with lots of cover and variation in gameplay? I really like maps that give one team an advantage, like Compound, that way the other team has to get creative, and people can't just camp certain places and wait with an AWP. Awps are fantastic weapons on maps that an awp can be countered by the other weapons.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-10-24, 6:27 PM #30
Well, I usually play on a server with 26, and I frequently play there. Therefore, the people know me - and the custom maps are ones I actually play a fair amount.

Fun ones include 007_temple, css_mansion (remake of CS version), de_dust_pcg, de_courthouse, de_winterassault, knas_speedcastle_css_64, and some others.
2005-10-24, 6:29 PM #31
I don't play a lot of custom maps, simply out of dispise for new maps that I have to download and probably won't see on many servers anyway.

Any GOOD custom maps that are played often? By 'good' I mean multiple paths with lots of cover and variation in gameplay? I really like maps that give one team an advantage, like Compound, that way the other team has to get creative, and people can't just camp certain places and wait with an AWP. Awps are fantastic weapons on maps that an awp can be countered by the other weapons.

JediKirby

Contra, CPL_Mill

PS, awps can ALWAYS be countered, if you don't suck.
D E A T H
2005-10-24, 6:54 PM #32
The problem I have with AWPs is on some servers, everyone is allowed to have so much money that everyone gets AWPs. Then it becomes boring.
2005-10-24, 6:56 PM #33
TMP FTW
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-10-24, 8:05 PM #34
Originally posted by Echoman:
The problem I have with AWPs is on some servers, everyone is allowed to have so much money that everyone gets AWPs. Then it becomes boring.

That's why I play on servers that give you 800 default. Earn your weapons, damnit.
D E A T H
2005-10-24, 8:09 PM #35
The server I played just banned them outright. Don't really mind though, has improved me greatly on the scout
2005-10-24, 8:11 PM #36
I refuse to play on servers that ban it. Talk about noobs owning the server.
D E A T H
2005-10-24, 8:31 PM #37
... Dystopia isn't all that great at all. The maps are subpar, and the gameplay is way to DM esque, and lacks the strategy I was expecting when people hyped it for me. It's basically deathmatch with annoying strategy elements incorporated. And it's NOTHING like Deus Ex, and it's NOT a Cyber-Punk-MMO like people claimed it'd be a long time ago. It's just an ok mod. Once more is added, I'll come back to it, but as of now, it's poop.

I'll make sure tAz00 hears your comments.
:cool:
SpamBlogger
"u r dumb, stop or ill sue u
- jak thomsun

p.s. ur gay" - Victor Van Dort

New disclaimer - Any brain damage suffered as a result of typographical errors is the reader's liability.
2005-10-24, 8:33 PM #38
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]I refuse to play on servers that ban it. Talk about noobs owning the server.[/QUOTE]
I hate it when n00bs scream at you for pwning them and blame it on your "nub *** weppon". Especially when that weapon happens to be a Scout. "cum here u fggot nd stop gay adss snipin noob" really pisses me off. I just "retaliate" by proceeding to spend all my money on an autosniper and targeting them specifically.
SpamBlogger
"u r dumb, stop or ill sue u
- jak thomsun

p.s. ur gay" - Victor Van Dort

New disclaimer - Any brain damage suffered as a result of typographical errors is the reader's liability.
2005-10-24, 9:11 PM #39
I kill all autosnipers. Even the ones on my team.

THAT'S the only weapon I can't stand (and the shotty, but the shotty has its place and I don't ***** about it online, only to friends :P)
D E A T H
2005-10-24, 9:32 PM #40
And all of that is why I don't play anything on line anymore. :)

Between the teamkilling for little to no reason, insults, racism, spawn camping, and just general rudeness and idiocy... Well... What's there to look forward to?

Xbox Lan parties for me. At least then I can physically beat down someone who's being an ***.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand

↑ Up to the top!