Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → LOTR Fans
LOTR Fans
2003-12-16, 9:14 AM #1
I'm just curious what kind of Lord of the Rings fans do we have at Massassi? Rate yourself 1 - 10

1 - Never heard of Lord of the Rings

2 - Never bothered to see the Movies.

3 - I've seen the first movie.

4 - I've seen all the movies and read a chapter of the FOTR.

5 - Read the books, seen the Movies.

6 - Read the books multiple times, I quote Lord of the Rings in everyday conversation.

7 - I've read all the books more than once.

8 - I dabble in elvish and have read the entire works of Tolkein.

9 - I speak fluent Elvish and I watch the movies every day.

10 - I speak every Tolkienian Languages fluently, read everything with the word Ring in it, and can rattle off the names of every obscure character in alphabetical order.

------------------
I munch C code for breakfast and have enough room left over for a kernel debugging.

[This message has been edited by Freyr (edited December 16, 2003).]
Free your mind, use Open Source.
2003-12-16, 9:18 AM #2

------------------
"It's OK for us to randomly attack people!"
-BV

o.0
2003-12-16, 9:19 AM #3
I would be about a 3. I've seen the movies, but still haven't read the books. I would like to read em though.

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov

Never tickle the third foot!
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2003-12-16, 9:21 AM #4

------------------
^^
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2003-12-16, 9:21 AM #5
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2003-12-16, 9:24 AM #6
Well, I wasn't much of a fan before because I really hate reading, so I never bothered to check out the books. But I really loved the movies, and have been a fan ever since. So I'd rate myself a 7 or so even though I haven't read the original books.

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2003-12-16, 9:25 AM #7
I'm about an 7.14.

------------------
I munch C code for breakfast and have enough room left over for a kernel debugging.

2003-12-16, 9:26 AM #8
7.5 - I DON'T DABBLE IN ELVISH but I've read the entire works of Tolkien.
2003-12-16, 9:29 AM #9
5. Going to see ROTK tonight at 12:01 actually. and i have to be at work at 8am tomorrow too [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
Truth is in the eye of the beholder.
Forum Rules
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2003-12-16, 9:30 AM #10

Hmmm I'd be a 5
2003-12-16, 9:32 AM #11
Remember Tolkeins Complete works include:

The Hobbit
Lord of the Rings
The Silmarillion
Unfinished Stories
History of Middle Earth (Volumes...)
Farmer Giles of Ham
The Adventure of Tom Bombadil

------------------

2003-12-16, 9:39 AM #12
Uhh... 4.5 I guess (seen the movies, read some of the books)

------------------
"This hole is octogo. Ogiganeel. It's Octa.. It's got eight sides."
"We interrupt this program again, A. to annoy you, and B. to provide work for one of our announcers."
2003-12-16, 9:40 AM #13
You're forgetting Farmer Giles of Ham / The Adventures of Tom Bombadil.
2003-12-16, 9:43 AM #14
uhh abut 9.5 I dont know all names yet [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
The miners of Kiith Somtaaw sacificed much, and risked all. For their efforts they were brought into the inner most circle of Hiigaren power. Naabal, S'jet, and Sobanii bowed before them. And from that day to this, Somtaaw's children have been known to one and all as Beastslayers..
2003-12-16, 9:46 AM #15

Got up to Galadriel's gift-giving scene, and then gave up on Tolkien's writing style.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
Jack Chick preaches it
NMGOH
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2003-12-16, 9:46 AM #16
I've read the books multiple times, seen the movies... and I hate everything about them.

------------------
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."
-Robert Jastrow
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."
-Robert Jastrow
2003-12-16, 9:51 AM #17

Ive read FOTR and some of the two towers.. but then.. meh

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2003-12-16, 9:59 AM #18
I'd have to say 4.5 also.

------------------
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
I'm a schizophrenic
and so am I
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2003-12-16, 10:14 AM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fishstickz:

Ive read FOTR and some of the two towers.. but then.. meh

</font>

I'm working on Two Towers now. I've seen all the movies including ROTK.
2003-12-16, 10:29 AM #20

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|The Valley of the Jedi Tower|Smaug's Lair
2003-12-16, 10:34 AM #21

------------------
If there is a 50% chance that you are going to be right, there is a 90% chance that you will choose the wrong one ~SithNazgul, the 50-50-90 rule
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2003-12-16, 10:37 AM #22
contently 7, and proud of it.
Warhead[97]
2003-12-16, 10:40 AM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wolfy:

Got up to Galadriel's gift-giving scene, and then gave up on Tolkien's writing style.

</font>

i love Tolkien's writing style, because I rarely read anything before I read those

oh and I'd say I'm an 8 or so

------------------
" You killed me. That wasn't very nice."
Noble Gases
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2003-12-16, 10:46 AM #24
Your right about Farmer Giles of Ham, to be honest, I never read it.

And the adventures of Tom Bombadil was "different" to say the least. I like this review on Amazon.com, it pretty much sums up the book.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It occured to me that Tom Bombadil is a psychopath who sings about himself in the third person throughout the entire book</font>

------------------
2003-12-16, 10:47 AM #25
Between 5 and 6 - Read all the books, reading them again now, will have seen all the movies as of Thursday, Dec. 18th ay 9:30 pm.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2003-12-16, 10:49 AM #26
5.5 or 7, depending by what you mean be "all the books".
2003-12-16, 11:14 AM #27
6, I would be more, but I don't go for the whole Elvish stuff

------------------
1 of 14 - The Coucil still lives
6-16 Never Forget.
Click.
1 of 14 | 6-16 Never Forget. | Click.
2003-12-16, 11:25 AM #28
5 - Read the LotR trilogy, and the hobbit. Yeh. Whatever. Prefered the films - less songs!

------------------
GhostOfYoda - General doer of stuff.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2003-12-16, 11:34 AM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prefered the films - less songs!</font>

Yah, reading songs written in a language that you don't understand is kind of strange.

------------------
2003-12-16, 12:30 PM #30
7.7 or so. There's a couple of the "complete works of Tolkien" that I haven't read.

Tolkien also wrote a commentary on Beowulf (and probably some other academic things), but I don't know if you'd include that in this, since we seem to be mostly talking about his Middle Earth stuff here.

------------------
5=(x-(x-5))
where x = infinity
So sayest the Writer of Silly Things!
2003-12-16, 2:19 PM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bobbert006:
I would be about a 3. I've seen the movies, but still haven't read the books. I would like to read em though.

</font>

Same here.
2003-12-16, 2:26 PM #32
8 or so.
2003-12-16, 2:28 PM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Freyr:
Yah, reading songs written in a language that you don't understand is kind of strange.

</font>

It proves he was a bit of a loon.. I love the guy, but a man who lives solitarily his entire life thinking up stories about short people and wizards while making up new languages is ALWAYS a loon in my book

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2003-12-16, 2:30 PM #34
I fit 4, perfectly. Seen the movies, and a few years ago tried to start one of the books but Tolkien's style just bores the crap out of me. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

I think I dozed off two or three times in like the first 5 chapters... I got to the part where they met the elves and then quit.

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2003-12-16, 3:03 PM #35
I think I'm a 3.5 because I've only seen the first two movies and have never read any of the books. My mother has read all three books so she is a good source of spoilers for me, hehe [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://www.savagex.net
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2003-12-16, 3:12 PM #36
4.5, read about half of Two Towers.

------------------
My Daily Ramblings
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2003-12-16, 3:13 PM #37
I've yet to get past The Silmarillion. I got half way but it was...hard to read. I'm trying to find my dad's copy somewhere in the house. But I can read and write Tengwar.

Elen sila lumen omentilavo.

------------------
<scribbly handwriting barely resembling name>
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2003-12-16, 3:20 PM #38

------------------
June 16 - A night to remember
Ex-Council of 14

Miken
"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off everything and let the problem solve itself?"
2003-12-16, 6:01 PM #39

------------------
...?
...?
2003-12-16, 6:14 PM #40

Read up to the end of The Two Towers.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian & A Very Massassian Xmas
Corrupting the kiddies since '97

↑ Up to the top!