Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → JHS 2006
JHS 2006
2005-12-09, 1:51 AM #41
I had nothing against Drazen Isle, but if memory serves, it was always hard to find a game of JHS that was being played without SBX... :confused:
2005-12-09, 3:18 AM #42
Ah, good old Jon'C proving that one can have an opinion and be a **** at the same time.
Pissed Off?
2005-12-09, 3:28 AM #43
How come Jon'C does not get banned for comments like "I hear suicide can cure your problem" and "I'm pretty sure it relates to the gigantic stick you have crammed up your rear"?
2005-12-09, 3:45 AM #44
Good question
Pissed Off?
2005-12-09, 3:53 AM #45
Originally posted by Jon`C:
You don't have to preface everything you say with "It is my opinion that JHS is not a good level", because that's implied.

Yes you do. If it is actually not your opinion (so it's purely a taste issue) you do have to say it's your opinion. If you don't, it will look like you're trying to force your opinion on others. There's nothing you can do about it. That's just how the language works out.

You can say "I hated JHS", because that's not saying anything about anything but yourself, which is okay.

Stop trying to force your views on me you fascist. (:p)
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2005-12-09, 4:25 AM #46
JHS didn't have as good gameplay as Oasis, but it was certainly fun to play. Something a lot of cramped massassi DM levels failed at.
2005-12-09, 4:39 AM #47
I'm not sure why the hell JHS was so popular. It's not a very nice level to look at, and the level's setting sucks IMO.

I think the weapon placement was ok though, and all of the cogs in the level actually work. The scale was good too.

Maybe that's it. Gameplay should always be more important... but it would be nice to ALSO have a level that looks nice too and doesn't weirdify the SW universe (unless it does so exceedingly well).

2005-12-09, 5:30 AM #48
[QUOTE=The Mega-ZZTer]I'm not sure why the hell JHS was so popular. It's not a very nice level to look at, and the level's setting sucks IMO.

I think the weapon placement was ok though, and all of the cogs in the level actually work. The scale was good too.

Maybe that's it. Gameplay should always be more important... but it would be nice to ALSO have a level that looks nice too and doesn't weirdify the SW universe (unless it does so exceedingly well).[/QUOTE]

That's exactly it... texturing did suck but the gameplay was very awesome, especially with mods that contain grapple hooks in them. The traps also helped spice it up a bit.
No sig.
2005-12-09, 5:34 AM #49
Um, no. There are a thousand levels with better gameplay than JHS. There WAS no gameplay in JHS, asside from maybe the kitchen. Everything else was just long boxy hallways. That isn't gameplay AT ALL if you've ever played some of JK's good levels. Seriously, those who revere JHS simply haven't played enough JK levels. There are many that look, play, and are simply made better than JHS.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-12-09, 6:53 AM #50
Yes, KWP @ JHS was quite fun, however, filling said boxy hallways with explosions. It could use less spawn points at the landing pad though >_>

I agree there are better levels out there, MUCH better, but some of those won't look any different ported to Source. (Yes, I'm kissing ***. Oh well)

Maybe remake the MLPs for source? That'd be amazing. I can imagine people throwing rocks and **** at eachother in 'Can Yun-O Ace This?'
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-12-09, 8:01 AM #51
I heard Jon'C is working on the latest feature of the Sith2 engine: Crap detector -on loading a level it will autodectect its crappiness level and prevent loading of 'bad' levels.

Fortunately since its open source, we might yet see 'yoda's house' on the Sith2 engine.
Admin of Narshaddaa.net's dedicated server. For more information on about the dedicated server: http://jkdf2.net/
2005-12-09, 8:09 AM #52
Originally posted by Demon_Nightmare:
How come Jon'C does not get banned for comments like "I hear suicide can cure your problem" and "I'm pretty sure it relates to the gigantic stick you have crammed up your rear"?

True. I'm pretty sure the second comment is a lot more crude than "s***".
2005-12-09, 8:13 AM #53
Originally posted by SMOCK!:
Yes you do. If it is actually not your opinion (so it's purely a taste issue) you do have to say it's your opinion. If you don't, it will look like you're trying to force your opinion on others. There's nothing you can do about it. That's just how the language works out.

You can say "I hated JHS", because that's not saying anything about anything but yourself, which is okay.

Stop trying to force your views on me you fascist. (:p)

No one tries to force their opinion on some one else, that's impossible. They try to convince other people of their opinion. If you have something against that, you're a total idiot. (which, of course, you're not I hope) :p

EDIT: Crap, double post. Now I'm too lazy to fix it.
2005-12-09, 9:52 AM #54
Originally posted by Martyn:
No, that was Drazen Isle

*Hides*

this is true. JHS had amazingly fun gameplay.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-12-09, 9:56 AM #55
Ok, so this was closed before wasn't it?

/me 'splodes
2005-12-09, 10:02 AM #56
I believe JHS had a certian auroa about it. If you judge the level and break it down, you find nothing great about it, tey you still want to play it. I think just the way you move in the level is fun. You can get to almost any room from several different directions, making it more of a strategic game. Mainly though, it's just the level had one thing that few others had: the Macguffin . That thing that drives tha game, yet you can't put your finger on it.

I say make JHS 2006, update the textures, and you'll have a fantastic level HL2 players can be thankful of.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2005-12-09, 10:26 AM #57
I hear suicide can cure your problem, Yoshi.

You do have a problem. I don't know what it is, but I'm pretty sure it relates to the gigantic stick you have crammed up your rear.

Originally posted by Jon'C:
Sorry, I don't believe in complete conformity. Why don't you and your identical-looking blonde hair and blue-eyed friends run off to a corner and play with your matching armbands and goosestepping and let people who are capable of formulating an opinion express it? Thanks.

And here comes the march of the back-seat moderators. I'm sure the moderators and administrators of this forum have no idea how to do their jobs.

Who pissed in your cheerios? You're the one who started all this, so I don't think you have a right to leap down everyone's throat.

[EDIT: Oops, didn't see the second page. :o]
DO NOT WANT.
2005-12-09, 10:54 AM #58
Quote:
I kinda agree with Jon. JHS worked in JK but probably won't work in HL2.
But there's only one way to find out, right?
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2005-12-09, 11:00 AM #59
Indeedio. I played a HL conversion of Canyon Oasis that was **** poor, but I downloaded it as soon as I saw it, hoping it would be fun.
2005-12-09, 11:03 AM #60
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
No one tries to force their opinion on some one else, that's impossible. They try to convince other people of their opinion. If you have something against that, you're a total idiot. (which, of course, you're not I hope) :p

Uh, what? You can certainly force your opinion on someone else. It may not work, but you can try. You can also convince them with deceptive and biased arguments, which I would consider forcing, or taking advantage of at least.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-12-09, 1:52 PM #61
Originally posted by Demon_Nightmare:

http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?t=37654#post591022
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2005-12-09, 2:00 PM #62
Perhaps the "source" version can take some creative licensing and improve it if the original author permits. Nothing says you have to port it EXACTLY vertex by vertex. In fact, I think it would be shameful not to use all features and capabilities of a 8 year newer game engine.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-12-09, 2:01 PM #63
Originally posted by kyle90:
You know what's funny? I've never played JHS.

Me neither :p
2005-12-09, 2:07 PM #64
I'm sure I once said you can have fun in a level that's nothing more than a box with a dozen concussion rifles in. The fact is, everyone has an innate ability to turn even the most pathetically dull thing into something that's hilariously funny. JHS neither looked good nor had good gameplay, there was no flow and the traps were very badly thought out. But as a result of my box-of-weapons theory, it still managed to be fairly enjoyable.

None of the Dralloc levels were any good either, yet they were played almost non-stop on the zone. In fact, only two custom levels that were played on the zone were any good. Drazen and Barons Hed RPG. The reason? It's because from the start they make it clear that they aren't intended for deathmatch play but rather to promote some basic role-playing structure.

JHS was good for testing out mods because it had a bit of everything, open spaces, closed spaces, high spaces etc. But let's be clear, it was NOT a good level.

Do not try and argue with me on this, I am right, this is not an opinion.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-12-09, 2:09 PM #65
I only ever played it once.. and I wasn't that impressed. I played for about 5 minutes, then left and got in on a Canyon Oasis game.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2005-12-09, 2:10 PM #66
I say go for it, I loved JHS and believe me i've played a few levels in my time.

Ignore what people say, whether good or bad, about JHS. Make the level and see how it goes, there's a fifty fifty chance most people will love it or hate it, so what have you to lose?

Especially ignore certain people who like grabbing attention by turning other people's threads into flame wars (Or trying to anyway, gladly most of the people on this thread are smarter than said person and are ignoring them).
Visit: Alcopedia.net the Alcoholic Encyclopedia

The user formerly known as EL3CTRO.
2005-12-09, 3:23 PM #67
lol jhs is poop

That said, I think the whole premise of remaking JHS in a new engine would be to improve upon it, so it really doesn't matter if it isn't the greatest level in existence. It *is*, however, undeniable that the level is very popular, so a remake would have the potential to attract those who enjoyed it. Using the JHS name to attract downloads and then addressing creative and quality issues to appease the level critics by revamping the map would be smart.
2005-12-09, 3:39 PM #68
Originally posted by Detty:
I'm sure I once said you can have fun in a level that's nothing more than a box with a dozen concussion rifles in. The fact is, everyone has an innate ability to turn even the most pathetically dull thing into something that's hilariously funny. JHS neither looked good nor had good gameplay, there was no flow and the traps were very badly thought out. But as a result of my box-of-weapons theory, it still managed to be fairly enjoyable.

None of the Dralloc levels were any good either, yet they were played almost non-stop on the zone. In fact, only two custom levels that were played on the zone were any good. Drazen and Barons Hed RPG. The reason? It's because from the start they make it clear that they aren't intended for deathmatch play but rather to promote some basic role-playing structure.

JHS was good for testing out mods because it had a bit of everything, open spaces, closed spaces, high spaces etc. But let's be clear, it was NOT a good level.

Do not try and argue with me on this, I am right, this is not an opinion.

Truth.
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.

↑ Up to the top!