Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Disney, the evil corporation
Disney, the evil corporation
2005-12-08, 2:08 PM #1
I was at work the other day (I work at Universal Orlando, for those of you who don't know...) and I started talking to a guest... she was an older woman, around 80... she was waiting on her family to come out of my attraction. We started talkinga nd she mentioned that she had just gotten hired at Universal, and she wanted to take her family through the park, because they had never been there before.

She then brought up that she had been going through a really bad time and that she had lost her job as a teacher because of some cutbacks or something.

She then told me that she applied for a job at disney and they told her they could give her a job washing dishes. She told them she would really like to be in a job where she could interact with the guests. DISNEY told her "The only way you can be in a position in front of the guests is if you get false teeth."

-Apperently she was missing all of her bottom teeth, and I hadn't noticed when i was talking to her... I was like WTF!?! that is so horrible.. that's like someone discriminating agenst a 1 armed person because they are too poor to buy a prostedic arm.

So anyway, she told me that she applied at universal and got a job that very day... She said she asked them when she could start because she had been out of work for so long, so she needed $$... her supivisor said "well, you have to finish all of your orientation classes first, when do you finish Orientation?"

She said "I finish Thursday Morning"... The supervisor said "You close thursday night"

She seemed really happy when she told me this...

--Universal is the best company ever.
||||||||||||||||||||
2005-12-08, 2:13 PM #2
You should have said... "Have you ever considered Snow White?
Nothing to see here, move along.
2005-12-08, 2:16 PM #3
urgh, I hate it when they do that....
2005-12-08, 2:18 PM #4
I remember waiting in line for thirty minutes for an ice cream bar in Disney because the lady selling them couldn't do simple math, and her calculator broke. At the same time though, Disney is just such a unique company, corporation, whatever you want to call them, that I have to respect them. For god's sake, whenever Buck and I are down in Florida, we are just astounded at the amount of land that they own. It's has to be as big as some small countries. To run that, and "govern it" has to be a huge task. And given that Walt is frozen somewhere in the sub basements under Disneyworld, somebody has to do it. In this case, no one like discrimination, but seeing as how the lady found another job, it's just an example of Economics working right.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2005-12-08, 2:42 PM #5
but the point is that this is the same thing as if a black man is turend away because he is black, and got a job somewhere else.. he shouldn't HAVE to get a job somewhere else....

and yes, Disney owns a whole town.. it's called Celebration... that in itself is very creepy...
||||||||||||||||||||
2005-12-08, 2:48 PM #6
Family Guy........

<3 Disney stock slide.
2005-12-08, 2:56 PM #7
Originally posted by Spiral:
and yes, Disney owns a whole town.. it's called Celebration... that in itself is very creepy...

My parents wanted to move there... :eek:

And after a 'convenient' car accident the day we were supposed to fly back from touring, I was treated in their hospital, even after firmly insisting that I was perfectly unharmed from the crash.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-12-08, 2:58 PM #8
Originally posted by Lord_Grismath:
My parents wanted to move there... :eek:

I pass it everytime i take my car to Old Town.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2005-12-08, 2:58 PM #9
Grismath: How was it?
2005-12-08, 3:10 PM #10
I'm creeped out by the notion of an all-encompassing community managed by a corporation. Everything seemed a little too perfect, one might say superficial. I appreciated the design and architecture of the place, and Disney has people to come and maintain your grounds for you to keep outside appearances up. The main town looks like something out of a move set, and I recall hearing ambient background music, but that may have just been memory artifacts from Disney world. Everyone we saw seemed very friendly, but then again to a visitor, Disney would definitely put their best foot forward.

If you don't mind being whitewashed into a corporate community and culture, Celebration would definitely seem like a dream world. I doubt there's much crime there, and everything is saturated with congeniality. On the otherhand, if you're an unapologetic freethinker like myself, you'd probably think the place would smother you and generally be disgusted at every turn.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-12-08, 3:12 PM #11
We should get Warped Tour there next year. Just for the PO factor.
2005-12-08, 3:14 PM #12
Is there like, company money there?

Because if so that really sucks.
2005-12-08, 3:50 PM #13
And if so, is it like Monopoly money? That would totally rock. Like, rock. Not Bon Jovi 'crap' lame *** rock either, like Mega Rock dude. Mega Rock.
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2005-12-08, 3:55 PM #14
Disney hires people who are physically tolerable. There is not a shortage of (at minimum) decent-looking people. It's the same with modeling agencies and other industries that rely on physical appeal - if you've got a physical flaw as severe as missing your bottom teeth, you're not going to get hired.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-12-08, 4:05 PM #15
No, there is not company money, but it is a very creepy town indeed... they have little electric golf carts that drive aroun on the streets, and thye have an AMC movie theatre ther, but then don't show R rated movies.... and yes, there ARE Speakers in rocks along the streets that play "happy music".... which is very creepy/scary... they have old fasioned "Doll shops" there... witht he porcellen dolls... it's very very very scary.. Like something out of a Stephen King book... (since the AMC there in Celebration is only a 2 plex.. it was concidered part of the theatre I worked at... located in Downtown Disney... so I would go to the theatre in Celebration from time to time to watch movies..)
||||||||||||||||||||
2005-12-08, 4:05 PM #16
...She then told me that she applied for a job at disney and they told her they could give her a job washing dishes. She told them she would really like to be in a job where she could interact with the guests. DISNEY told her "The only way you can be in a position in front of the guests is if you get false teeth."

That is illegal and she could sue them for that statement.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2005-12-08, 4:07 PM #17
Wolfy... I'm just saying that it's discrimination... it's different for models because they are trying to say "this is what you'll look like if you buy this item" but as for disney... they arn't selling the person's face.. like they do with models.... they are selling their attitude... and this woman had a very friendly attitude. It's just sickening to me...
||||||||||||||||||||
2005-12-08, 4:08 PM #18
I agree THRAWN, but she seemed like someone who wouldn't bother sueing....
||||||||||||||||||||
2005-12-08, 4:09 PM #19
It is sad, but truthfully, it is alot more pleasant to see a person with all of their teeth than with none, and Disney makes their own laws (not really).
2005-12-08, 4:13 PM #20
The answer to Celebration, Spiral? Operation Mayhem.

I wonder what Disney police over there would be like.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-12-08, 4:15 PM #21
Originally posted by THRAWN:
That is illegal and she could sue them for that statement.

No, it's not. I do think, however, that they have to provide money for her to get dentures if they require it of her, though I'm likely VERY wrong on this.
D E A T H
2005-12-08, 4:15 PM #22
Reid : appearently Hitler thought it was more plesent to see people who WERn"T jewish.. does that make what he did alright!?
||||||||||||||||||||
2005-12-08, 4:19 PM #23
Spiral, you just invoked Godwins Law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwins_Law

Quote:
Although the law does not specifically mention it, there is a tradition in many Usenet newsgroups that once such a comparison is made, the thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress.

Sorry! You lose!
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2005-12-08, 4:29 PM #24
LOL.. that's dumb... anyway.. I just used the most durastic example that I could... I could have easily said that a racist manager wouldn't like to look at black people, so he is justified in not hiring blacks....

and my hitler point is still valid, no matter what any site ont eh internet says.. it's the same basic idea.. I don't like how this person looks, so I will do (insert something here) to them...
||||||||||||||||||||
2005-12-08, 4:31 PM #25
...as a historian, I suggest you read into why Hitler has done those bad things. It's not because they looked funny.
2005-12-08, 4:36 PM #26
I am german, and I know why he did it.. it doesn't matter.. the fact is they were killed because of what they were.... something they couldn't help.. and this woman was rejected froma job because he had no bottom teeth.. something she couldn't help.. and she had no money to buy dentures...

PS.. please don't talk to me like I am an idiot
||||||||||||||||||||
2005-12-08, 4:44 PM #27
Honestly, just because you are German doesnt mean you have any idea what Hitlers motives were.

Yes, you totally could. But just saying "Im German, and thats why I know exactly what Hitlers motives were."

That said, you made a horrible comparison.

Hitler killed Jews because he felt that he was the "Superman" that would solve all of Germanys problems (economic and political and the such)

This woman was regected from a job because Disney wanted to keep the appearance of their staff a certain image. Is that wrong? Yes. But thats what Disney is, they only want to show you the "Good" If someone gets hurt what do they do? They move people along so nobody sees it. They keep an image of peacefulness and happiness. Rejecting this woman had nothing to do with an elitist culture or a Politician who was attempting to help his country.
2005-12-08, 4:45 PM #28
I am german, and I know why he did it.. it doesn't matter.. the fact is they were killed because of what they were.... something they couldn't help.. and this woman was rejected froma job because he had no bottom teeth.. something she couldn't help.. and she had no money to buy dentures...

PS.. please don't talk to me like I am an idiot

1) I'm part Irish. Does that mean I am automatically an expert on the poetry of Burns?

2) That she couldn't help it isn't their fault. But either way, this is getting into political ideals.

3) It's hard to not talk to you like one when your sentence structure sucks, you don't present a damn's worth of an argument, and you did invoke Godwin's Law.
D E A T H
2005-12-08, 4:51 PM #29
This thread reminds me of the Mooby scene from Dogma.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2005-12-08, 4:57 PM #30
[QUOTE=Kieran Horn]This thread reminds me of the Mooby scene from Dogma.[/QUOTE]
<3
D E A T H
2005-12-08, 4:58 PM #31
Hitlers wille zu macht machen sie ein ubermench, als kein mench beweggrund wissen.

Auch, bitte mein deutsche entshuldigung. Ich anderes spreche alles tag gewesen.

(Let's see who picks out the famous Nietzsche line in there)
2005-12-08, 4:59 PM #32
whatever... I don't care about some stupid internet law, and I couldn't give a **** how my grammer looks. My point is still valid, and I don't care what MR. Godwin has to say, because he's not in this conversation.. peroid.
||||||||||||||||||||
2005-12-08, 5:00 PM #33
KEIN FLAMMEN MACHEN
2005-12-08, 5:04 PM #34
Spiral i think the point of Godwins Law is that you reverted to something that has nothing to do with this thread.

:p Says MB before the edit was made
2005-12-08, 5:05 PM #35
it has everything to do with this thred... it's the same thing... descrimination is descrimination, no matter WHO commits it... The only reason it is used so often is because it is an extreme case of descrimination, and it does a very good job at showing people how far descrimination can go... which is why I think the whole "who ever mentions hitler in a thred automatically loses" is on there.. because it does such a good job at winning so many arguments.

EDIT: Yeah, I edited it because I had calmed down a bit.. I have a quick temper sometimes... :p
||||||||||||||||||||
2005-12-08, 5:08 PM #36
it has everything to do with this thred... it's the same thing... descrimination is descrimination, no matter WHO commits it...

EDIT: Yeah, I edited it because I had calmed down a bit.. I have a quick temper sometimes... :p

I'm glad you can control it.

No sarcasm.

Anyways, I'm outta this thread. Tschuss!
2005-12-08, 5:10 PM #37
Originally posted by Anovis:
KEIN FLAMMEN MACHEN

NEIN! Macht ihr Flammen!

(Anovis) Better than I can do, 4 years and my grammar still sucks, but I can read moderately well
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-12-08, 5:10 PM #38
it has everything to do with this thred... it's the same thing... descrimination is descrimination, no matter WHO commits it...

No, discrimination isn't just discrimination--killing someone for their nationality is not the same as refusing to give an older person a job for not maintaining a minimum level of presentability (in the company's eyes). There are levels to it. It really isn't an unreasonable thing to ask--medicaid and medicare would both take care of at least a decent portion of it, and it's no different than asking people to wear a decent suit to work, or hell even a uniform to work. I do agree that they should help pay for the false teeth, but that's up to them and is coming from someone who isn't trying to profit off of hiring the lady.
D E A T H
2005-12-08, 5:18 PM #39
I agree it isn't as SEVERE of discrimination.. which is what I said... I SAID that.... I SAID that.. I said that... I said that I used Hitler as an extreme case of discrimination.. BUT IT'S STILL discrimination... Less extreme.. BUT STILL DISCRIMINATION.. I SAID THAT... less extreme discrimination, but still discrimiantion none the less...

- Ok.. I'll change my comparison around a little so you can enjoy it more...

"It would be like Hitler running an amusment park, and a jew applying for a job, and Hitler turns them down for the job because they are jewish"

anyway... would it be less discrimitory if Disney stopped hiring fat people... cause that affects their appearence.. and most people don't like looking at fat people.. and atleast the fat people can lose weight... it's not like this woman could just grow new teeth..

Or if they stopped hiring people who were bald.. because most people don't like looking at bald individuals.. as long as disney paid for the wig.. right?

The point is with clothes, it is understood, because that is NOT YOU... but basically Disney is like "GloboGym" on dodgeball.. "we're better than you, and we know it".. and "it's only your fault, if you don't hate yourself enough to do something about it"...
||||||||||||||||||||
2005-12-08, 6:52 PM #40
Times I've been legitimately compared to Hitler in an argument: 3

"1) I'm part Irish. Does that mean I am automatically an expert on the poetry of Burns?"

NO. It means you are only part expert.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.

↑ Up to the top!