Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What Linux should I use?
What Linux should I use?
2005-12-15, 9:55 AM #41
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]The setup.exe route is possibly the worst idea of all time. It would require Linux to use a registery system similar to Windows, which is window's greatest design flaw.[/QUOTE]

how is the registry a design flaw, and why is a registy-free OS so superior?
2005-12-15, 10:32 AM #42
Originally posted by Jon`C:
gtk-qt will work as long as you aren't using x86_64. Apparently it has some issues still.

Considering that FreeBSD/amd64 is not much of an improvement over the i386 version, I'm not too worried about it for the time being.

The Windows Registry, on the other hand, sickens me. What a horrible idea that was.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2005-12-15, 11:50 AM #43
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
how is the registry a design flaw, and why is a registy-free OS so superior?
God, where to begin?

1.) It's a central repository for every setting in the entire system. It resides in a single location on a single disk and the slightest corruption could wind up wiping your entire system configuration. (HKCU is the exception - this is stored in ntuser.dat - but almost nothing uses it anyway)

2.) It has a very weak security model and any given program can read or write to any other application's registry keys.

3.) Although keys are indexed using ASCII text, the registry file itself cannot be altered using a text editor. Many of the keys (COM, driver) are also GUIDs transcribed in text mode and are not human-readable anyway.

4.) You ever hear the phrase "Use the right tool for the right job"? Microsoft's attitude toward the registry is "The only tool for every job". All configuration information is stored there including the machine-readable portions. COM linking, file extensions, everything. Vista is moving away from using the registry - and moving to loose XML files as the new Do-Everything solution.

5.) Networked operating systems and static system registries don't mesh well together. A registry is supposed to be a system-specific configuration file, but since almost everything in Windows is done using the registry, roaming profiles are forced to carry a portion of that registry with them. Good luck getting that to work on an arbitrary machine in your domain.
2005-12-16, 12:21 AM #44
Originally posted by Jon`C:
5.) Networked operating systems and static system registries don't mesh well together. A registry is supposed to be a system-specific configuration file, but since almost everything in Windows is done using the registry, roaming profiles are forced to carry a portion of that registry with them. Good luck getting that to work on an arbitrary machine in your domain.

Yeah, I could never get that to work well under Windows. Roaming profiles work great on my FreeBSD lab machines though. I think there is some Novell software that allows for roaming profiles under Windows, though I haven't tried deploying any of it yet.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]

↑ Up to the top!