Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So... I'm starting WoW today...
So... I'm starting WoW today...
2005-12-23, 5:44 AM #1
So, as the title says, Im starting WoW today, when I get my computer set up in my new room.

I was wondering what server, race and class to play. I wanted to play the highest spike damage class (Single high damage attacks, not DoT), I was thinking mage, but I dont know what race to play as or anything.

I also wanted to know what server to play on, I wanted to play with some friends from here, and I want a good guild end game, I don't want to be ex-ed out just because I'm starting new. I don't want to get into PvP right now, so PvP is out.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2005-12-23, 6:19 AM #2
You... you deserter! :(
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2005-12-23, 6:19 AM #3
You know what? PvP is great.

I just rolled an undead rogue on Sargeras, a PVP server, to roll with Obsidian Spur, a Penny-Arcade forum guild. You can come hang with me there, or on Dark Iron, where my 48 alliance mage is.
2005-12-23, 6:30 AM #4
Cool... I'll be sure to send you an invite to my "WoW Anonymous" group when I get the chance. We meet on Sundays around 6:00 PM and have lots of drinks and free food provided.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2005-12-23, 6:36 AM #5
Originally posted by SavageX378:
Cool... I'll be sure to send you an invite to my "WoW Anonymous" group when I get the chance. We meet on Sundays around 6:00 PM and have lots of drinks and free food provided.

Gonk hasn't been coming lately.

I feel for him. :gbk:
2005-12-23, 6:45 AM #6
Originally posted by Stinkywrix:
Gonk hasn't been coming lately.

I feel for him. :gbk:

That's because he's afraid to admit he has a problem. We need to give him an intervention.
2005-12-23, 6:58 AM #7
Originally posted by SavageX378:
That's because he's afraid to admit he has a problem. We need to give him an intervention.

What time at what place?
2005-12-23, 8:45 AM #8
Fish- look in the Games forum for a sticky. There's a list of who plays on what server.

I don't know how comprehensive it is, but at least it helps a bit. Better than what.. you know.. other people are posting.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2005-12-23, 8:54 AM #9
Smolderthorn is where everyone here plays.

GAH, STOP MAKING WOW THREADS I CAN'T AFFORD WOW I KNOW YOU ALL WANT ME TO SPEND MONEY I DON'T HAVE GRAAAAAAAH
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-12-23, 9:07 AM #10
Play on a PVP server--it's not about the raids of cities, it's about Battlegrounds. Battlegrounds, singlehandedly, extends the life of the game TREMENDOUSLY.
D E A T H
2005-12-23, 9:22 AM #11
but the battlegrounds on PvE servers are exactly the same...
Moo.
2005-12-23, 9:56 AM #12
I would think with end-game PVE in mind. The game abruptly comes to a halt if you can't find groups or a guild to raid with.

My main is a warrior, so I can tell you what I think about them.
Warriors have great burst-damage if you have excellent gear at the moment, but they are getting a significant nerf next patch. Right now I can constantly hit 1k-1.8k damage on regular and special attacks, most of the warrior attacks being instants, this adds up to a ton of burst damage. Warriors have to have very high burst damage because they are only in melee range for seconds at a time. In addition, warriors get a very powerful finisher that is also an instant attack. Of course, to even be able to use an ability, you have to have made the rage for it, which is in no way convenient.

There is also a great demand for warriors as tanks late game, so if you'd prefer to play the turtle to the tiger, you have the option of being the best tank in the game by miles. But if you spec Protection, don't expect to have any of the aforementioned burst damage.

Also, in the late-game everyone's always looking for healers. If you choose to be an alliance priest, pick Dwarf as your race. If you are horde, I would never pick troll for any reasons for any class.
2005-12-23, 10:16 AM #13
If you start on Dark iron alliance, I will give you gold.

Seriously.

:cool:
2005-12-23, 10:45 AM #14
This is off topic, but it's interesting.

Best Buy employees have the best edge on playing WoW... We get a discount off of monthly fees by purchasing Time Cards for MMOs.

So HA! All you who pay full price..

That said, I hate WoW and am sad to see so many losers.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2005-12-23, 11:16 AM #15
We're losers because we play a game you don't happen to care for!? Your ego is way, way too big.
2005-12-23, 11:21 AM #16
Hey, say goodbye to the life you once knew. You will never quit WoW.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2005-12-23, 11:35 AM #17
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
We're losers because we play a game you don't happen to care for!? Your ego is way, way too big.

Click here
D E A T H
2005-12-23, 11:42 AM #18
dont play as alliance, the alliance are all ****
2005-12-23, 11:43 AM #19
I just bought myself a gamecard. W00t. WoW here I come! Time to level my 31 Tauren. :D
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-12-23, 4:58 PM #20
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Smolderthorn is where everyone here plays.

Smolderthorn / horde. That's where the massassi crew is, or should be.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-12-23, 5:20 PM #21
Smolderthorn. The horde guys are just pissed because I can go invisible and then aimshot then for a bajillion damage. And it feels good when I do it too :P
A dream is beautiful because it remains a dream.
2005-12-23, 8:44 PM #22
* Your ravage crits retarded night elf hunter for 2374.
* Your shred crits retarded night elf hunter for 1243.
* You crit retarded night elf hunter for 165.
* You gain omen of clarity.
* Your claw does 257 damage to retarded night elf hunter.
* Your ferocious bite crits retarded night elf hunter for 1964.
* Retarded night elf hunter dies.

Shadowmeld sucks anyway. I can see you from a mile away, I can see your pet, and you can't move.

No offense or anything, but I can't STAND night elf hunters...

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-12-23, 8:53 PM #23
Originally posted by fishstickz:
I wanted to play the highest spike damage class (Single high damage attacks, not DoT), I was thinking mage, but I dont know what race to play as or anything.

I would recommend Rogue if you want pure single target power. Mages do more AOE damage. But if you'd rather be a caster than sneak around then go Mage. Actually Hunters do decent damage too, but again you'd want to be into the whole pet thing.

Race is entirely up to you. It doesnt really make a big difference. Most important thing is that you like the look of your character.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-12-23, 9:00 PM #24
aim shot crits annoying shaman for 3000 damage

game over
A dream is beautiful because it remains a dream.
2005-12-23, 9:14 PM #25
If you're still at the stage where 3k is a lot, then you'd be dead on the first two attacks :|

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-12-23, 10:10 PM #26
If all of Massassi is on Smolderthorn, why the hell don't I see any of you?

We need a guild.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2005-12-23, 10:18 PM #27
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:

Click here[/QUOTE]

Play would be one thing... The sad part is how much devotion people put into games like this. Anybody who wastes as much time as some people I know on a video game (or worse, spend real money on in-game items) I would consider a loser.

So by that extreme measure, yes, you're losers because you play a game I don't care for. And no, I'm not joking.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2005-12-23, 10:41 PM #28
Yeah, some people do take it too far. Paying real money to buy in-game equipment is just insane. People like that should not have access to credit cards.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2005-12-23, 10:41 PM #29
Yecti, how big of a discount? I'm really interested in getting wow, but not for 15 a month. If I can get a 6 month card for under 12 a month, I might... MIGHT do it. Even 12 is too much.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-12-23, 10:58 PM #30
Originally posted by Yecti:
Play would be one thing... The sad part is how much devotion people put into games like this. Anybody who wastes as much time as some people I know on a video game (or worse, spend real money on in-game items) I would consider a loser.

So by that extreme measure, yes, you're losers because you play a game I don't care for. And no, I'm not joking.

I agree. Then again, I almost never play. :p
D E A T H
2005-12-23, 11:24 PM #31
[QUOTE=Connection Problem]I would think with end-game PVE in mind. The game abruptly comes to a halt if you can't find groups or a guild to raid with.

My main is a warrior, so I can tell you what I think about them.
Warriors have great burst-damage if you have excellent gear at the moment, but they are getting a significant nerf next patch. Right now I can constantly hit 1k-1.8k damage on regular and special attacks, most of the warrior attacks being instants, this adds up to a ton of burst damage. Warriors have to have very high burst damage because they are only in melee range for seconds at a time. In addition, warriors get a very powerful finisher that is also an instant attack. Of course, to even be able to use an ability, you have to have made the rage for it, which is in no way convenient.

There is also a great demand for warriors as tanks late game, so if you'd prefer to play the turtle to the tiger, you have the option of being the best tank in the game by miles. But if you spec Protection, don't expect to have any of the aforementioned burst damage.

Also, in the late-game everyone's always looking for healers. If you choose to be an alliance priest, pick Dwarf as your race. If you are horde, I would never pick troll for any reasons for any class.[/QUOTE]

What exactly is the big nerf next patch ???
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2005-12-24, 12:12 AM #32
Enrage will boost damge by 25% at max level instead of 40%. A hefty nerf indeed. I still plan on kicking *** anyways, but it's a slap in the face.
2005-12-24, 12:15 AM #33
Warriors are mainly meant to be tanks anyway. Rogues are the ones with heavy melee damage. You could build an attack warrior, but he's probably not going to be as good as an attack-specialized rogue; and vice-versa.

When I was playing WoW my main was a warrior. I also had a warlock. Out of the two, if you're going for solo play, I'd suggest the warlock - it's more versatile, and it's slightly less irritating to have your summon die than die yourself.
On the other hand: what Connection Problem said.
2005-12-24, 12:41 AM #34
What I'm about to say may be herasy to some...

I just bought Guild Wars today and I've already started playing it. My WoW addiction is being threaten and it looks like I'm switching from one drug to another...
2005-12-24, 1:27 AM #35
Well... it seems there's no one good server to play on, since I want to play with -ians, but I don't want to play horde >.>

I'm just waiting to patch, I'm going to play as a human mage, I'm just going to pick a random PvE server for now I guess.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2005-12-24, 1:28 AM #36
Is there some compendium of knowledge I should know coming in? Is there some good FAQ somewhere about what to know just coming in? Anyone have any advice?
--Garrison Keillor
2005-12-24, 1:46 AM #37
Thottbot is handy if you're looking for general quest information and stuff. There's also a wiki I found rather handy.

If you want my honest advice, I'd suggest that you avoid those sites. Just play the game, have fun, whatever. WoW's easy enough without a walkthrough.
2005-12-24, 2:02 AM #38
Originally posted by Jon`C:
If you want my honest advice, I'd suggest that you avoid those sites. Just play the game, have fun, whatever. WoW's easy enough without a walkthrough.

what he said

I find that I have the most fun when I just play the way that I want to. If you just follow walkthroughs and stuff, you probably won't have as much fun.

That's not to say that you can't turn to walkthroughs when you need to, but it kinda defeats the fun of the game if you just try to grind through everything
Moo.
2005-12-24, 5:27 AM #39
but, but... the fun of the game is increasing numbers in a table!
2005-12-24, 6:48 AM #40
About the smolderthorn guild thing, PM me your name and class, and about what times you're on. I'll try to catch you at some point and sign the guild charter. We need 10 signatures for the guild to be up.

Even better, get xfire and add Glydebane to it. I'll catch you whilst you're playing. I've been playing other games lately, but I'd like to get this done before my free 30 days expires in early Jan

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."

↑ Up to the top!