Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → #massassi religious persecution
#massassi religious persecution
2005-12-24, 11:16 AM #1
heh, I just thought this was funny and ought to be posted.

Originally posted by #massassi:
[10:46] <Kroko> Did you guys know that tomorrow is supposedly the anniversary of the day that Jesus was born?
[10:46] <thad420> yeah
[10:46] <Impi> I think it's more symbolic.
[10:46] <Istvan> Who's Jesus?
[10:47] <Impi> Made to replace some heretic holiday.
[10:47] <Kroko> Although I don't believe in any god. I'm not even sure Jesus even existed, although the general consensus seems to present him as a historical character.
[10:49] <Impi> In religious ed we once looked for other sources that tell about Jesus. There are not that many, but enough to convince me.
[10:49] <Impi> I don't believe in god, either, but this Jesus seemed to be a nice guy.
[10:50] <thad420> religious ed
[10:50] <Impi> I like what Douglas Adams had to say about that: "nearly two thousand years after one man had been nailed to a tree for saying how great it would be to be nice to people for a change."
[10:51] <thad420> lol
[10:51] <Jon> heh
[10:51] <thad420> u had to take religious ed
[10:51] <Impi> Religious education. Don't know the correct English term.
[10:51] <thad420> that is a load of crap
[10:51] <Jon> thad, your face is a load of crap.
[10:51] <Jon> *sizzle*
[10:51] <thad420> where do you live
[10:51] <thad420> what school makes you take religious ed
[10:51] <Impi> Catholic school. Nothing better than a catholic school to cleans you from any religious consent.
[10:52] <thad420> oh
[10:52] <thad420> i'm terribly sorry
[10:52] <Jon> everyone should take religious education. Religion is just as much a part of humanity as mathmatics or science.
[10:52] <thad420> lol
[10:52] <Gettleburer> ...
[10:52] <thad420> lunatic education
[10:52] <thad420> how about that
[10:52] <Gettleburer> agreed
[10:52] <Jon> thad...
[10:52] <Jon> you're pathetic.
[10:52] <Jon> seriously.
[10:52] <thad420> are you a follower of JC?
[10:53] <spe> religious education is a useful subject to know
[10:53] <Impi> It was interesting. We once also analysed Life Of Brian.
[10:53] <spe> and when i got taught it for 5 years at school, we didnt just learn about christianity
[10:53] <Impi> It was more about religion.
[10:53] <thad420> well
[10:53] <Jon> thad, I am, but that's beside the point. spe and Impi understand what I'm getting at.
[10:53] <thad420> that probably wouldn't be bad
[10:54] <Jon> Religion is a vital part of the human experience.
[10:54] <thad420> oh
[10:54] <spe> we also covered subjects that are touchy in religious areas, such as abortion
[10:54] <Jon> why shouldn't it be taught and understood just like history?
[10:54] <thad420> YEAH OK
[10:54] <thad420> because
[10:54] <thad420> i'm not a follower
[10:54] <thad420> of any religion
[10:54] <thad420> what if
[10:54] <Jon> so.
[10:54] <thad420> i want to be close-minded
[10:54] <thad420> ?
[10:54] <Jon> then you shouldn't be in school.
[10:54] <thad420> now, if i voluntarily
[10:54] <thad420> wanted this class
[10:54] <Jon> cause if your mind is closed, you won't learn anything.
[10:55] <thad420> i think it'd be alright
[10:55] <thad420> jon
[10:55] <thad420> you're a dumbass
[10:55] <thad420> go pray
[10:55] <Jon> well thad, what if I don't want to learn about science?
[10:55] <Jon> I shouldn't have to.
[10:55] <spe> thad, i suggest you go outside and set fire to some black people if thats your stance
[10:55] <thad420> of course
[10:55] <thad420> no, i like n******
[10:55] <Jon> but no one complaines about science class.
[10:55] * thad420 cares
[10:55] <thad420> haha
[10:55] <mb`> ...
[10:55] <mb`> oh youre a funny guy
[10:55] <Impi> Heh, we also got told once how to best kill yourself.
[10:56] <mb`> read are freaking rules why dont you
[10:56] * ChanServ sets mode: +o mb`
[10:56] * thad420 was kicked by mb` (Watch the language please)
[10:57] <Jon> poor kid, didn't know what he was stepping into.
[10:57] <Jon> he assumed I was some kind of moronic religious zealot.
[10:57] <mb`> no, he does
[10:57] <mb`> hes just a moron
[10:57] * thad420 has joined #massassi
[10:57] <Jon> when in fact, I am a perfectly educated, religious zealot who knows how to make a point and argue it.
[10:58] <spe> wouldn't someone perfectly educated move that comma along two words?
[10:58] <Jon> most likely.
[10:58] <Jon> but I'm also a rebel.
[10:58] <Jon> O_o
[10:59] <thad420> no you aren't Jon
[10:59] <thad420> you're a sissy
[10:59] <thad420> jesus-lover
[10:59] <Jon> ...can you guys believe this?
[10:59] <Jon> thad, chill out.
[10:59] <spe> EYE OF THE TIGER, KEEP FIGHTING THE POWER THAD
[10:59] <thad420> hahahaha
[10:59] <Jon> you're gonna get yourself in trouble.
[10:59] <thad420> you chill out
[10:59] <thad420> WOW
[10:59] <thad420> ON THE INTERNET
[11:00] <thad420> WOW
[11:00] <Jon> ...
[11:00] <Jon> yes, thad. This is the int-er-net.
[11:00] * thad420 was kicked by mb` (OMGZ INTARNET)
[11:00] <Jon> lol
[11:00] * thad420 has joined #massassi
[11:00] <thad420> i thought mb was cool
[11:00] <thad420> but he's just as gay as everyone else here
[11:00] <mb`> I thought you werent a pain in the ***
[11:00] <thad420> abusing their ops
[11:00] <thad420> well
[11:00] <thad420> when people talk s*** to me
[11:00] <JediGandalf> He's a tyrant.
[11:00] <thad420> i have a right to defend myself
[11:00] <Jon> thad. you kind of have to follow the rules..
[11:01] * mb` sets mode: +b *!*@holonet-2AFE896E.ruh.isu.net.sa
[11:01] <spe> god damn, you're as stupid as you are biggoted
[11:01] <Jon> if you're gonna be here.
[11:01] <JediGandalf> ALL HAIL LORD MB
[11:01] * thad420 was kicked by mb` (Im such a bad person)
[11:01] <mb`> bye!
[11:01] <Jon> hehe..
[11:01] <Jon> poor kid.
(edited to remove unnecessary conversation)
(the odd thing was, I wasn't "cramming religion down his throat" (to use the term that's so popular here), and I didn't even tell him I was a Christian until he asked. I was just defending the idea of teaching religion (not christianity) in school, but because I happen to be a Christian, I'm a "sissy")

Anyway, post times when you've been singled out because of what you believe.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2005-12-24, 11:19 AM #2
I think religion should be taught as well.... not like I was taught it though: my classes only focused on Christianity.
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2005-12-24, 11:21 AM #3
Well basically, my stance is that religion is as important a part of a person's education as science or history, because it's just as much a part of the human experience as those things.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2005-12-24, 11:22 AM #4
yep
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2005-12-24, 11:29 AM #5
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
Well basically, my stance is that religion is as important a part of a person's education as science or history, because it's just as much a part of the human experience as those things.

I think it should be an optional class. We had to do Religious Education at school and nobody took it seriously. Everything we did seemed pointless. I'd have rather spent the time learning something useful like another foreign language or another maths class.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-12-24, 11:35 AM #6
Well I wasnt in #massassi when it happened but from this chat transcript it certainly looks like thad420 was flamed first...

Quote:
[10:51] <Jon> thad, your face is a load of crap.

and yet you are the one who feels persecuted for their beliefs....
Admin of Narshaddaa.net's dedicated server. For more information on about the dedicated server: http://jkdf2.net/
2005-12-24, 11:38 AM #7
yeah, but that was clearly a friendly joke.

It was in response to:
[10:51] <thad420> that is a load of crap
and i said *sizzle* afterword. If he took that seriously, he's got even more problems.

2005-12-24, 11:44 AM #8
Heh.

Yeah, no-one takes RS seriously. For me, it was just another chance to prat about on the keyboards, since we were taught it in a music room. We did get to draw pretty colours, and it was a piss-easy GCSE for those who took it.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2005-12-24, 11:57 AM #9
and i said *sizzle* afterword.

What is *sizzle* supposed to mean?
My translation would be something like "You have just been flamed."
Admin of Narshaddaa.net's dedicated server. For more information on about the dedicated server: http://jkdf2.net/
2005-12-24, 12:18 PM #10
This just confirms to me what I've known all along, that mb is in reality a vicious tyrant.
Life is beautiful.
2005-12-24, 12:29 PM #11
If you don't inform yourself about any religioon, there's not quite a point in turning your back on it. It's actually somewhat of a prejudice, when you look at it.
2005-12-24, 12:37 PM #12
yeah i think religious history should be taught, religion has played a HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!! part in basically every culture around the world, weather you believe any specific religion or not it would be a tragedy if the world suddenly just ignored such an integral part of its history. on that same note, i dont believe they should promote any one religion over another in such a class.

and that conversation is just plain funny.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2005-12-24, 12:45 PM #13
My religious studies classes at school were probably the most interesting classes and christianity wasn't even mentioned until the second year. First year was buddhism, hinduism and sikhism. Second year was judaism, islam and christianity
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-12-24, 12:55 PM #14
Religious teaching is good, converting... nyet molotov.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-12-24, 1:41 PM #15
Originally posted by JKSERVER:
What is *sizzle* supposed to mean?
My translation would be something like "You have just been flamed."

*burnsauce*

It was a joke. If you don't think it was...then I think someone needs to find themselves a sense of humor.
D E A T H
2005-12-24, 5:31 PM #16
My stance on religion:
I'am a Jehovahs Witness... well not really, but I've learned much from them, and I've learned to do this. Read the bible, and apply its principles to my life. I do not doubt the bible in any way, for if we followed its principles, we would have atleast peace.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2005-12-24, 5:45 PM #17
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
My stance on religion:
I'am a Jehovahs Witness... well not really, but I've learned much from them, and I've learned to do this. Read the bible, and apply its principles to my life. I do not doubt the bible in any way, for if we followed its principles, we would have atleast peace.

Maybe, but the same is probably true of the Quran, or what have you. Therein lies the problem. ;)
2005-12-24, 6:21 PM #18
Well, back when I was washing dishes down at the "Eagles Nest" this fat New Yorker-ish guy asked me what I wanted to be/do. I told him I wanted to be a missionary, and his jaw dropped and he just stared at me. I've never seen such a shocked look on a persons face. Someone else heard it, and was like "So you're going to shave your head and go around chanting?" and he was being serious.

Heh. I found it all very amusing.

It's not really being singled out, but when you have a goal like that you become set apart from other kinds of people.
2005-12-24, 6:25 PM #19
Originally posted by Axis:
Well, back when I was washing dishes down at the "Eagles Nest" this fat New Yorker-ish guy asked me what I wanted to be/do. I told him I wanted to be a missionary, and his jaw dropped and he just stared at me. I've never seen such a shocked look on a persons face. Someone else heard it, and was like "So you're going to shave your head and go around chanting?" and he was being serious.

Heh. I found it all very amusing.

It's not really being singled out, but when you have a goal like that you become set apart from other kinds of people.

Probably because most people aren't stupid dedicated enough to do such a thing.
D E A T H
2005-12-24, 6:29 PM #20
Quote:
Maybe, but the same is probably true of the Quran, or what have you. Therein lies the problem.
Actually... I'm pretty sure that Quran encourages "holy war"

2005-12-24, 7:21 PM #21

No...
D E A T H
2005-12-24, 8:03 PM #22

So? Even if it did, if everyone followed the Quran we wouldn't need to have holy wars.
2005-12-24, 8:09 PM #23
thad was supposed to be banned, anyway. The only reason he was in #massassi was because Holonet crashed and cleared the banlist.
2005-12-24, 8:14 PM #24

...and you call someone like thad ignorant?

As far as I'm concerned no public school should be teaching a religion class. The impact of religion on society should be taught in history. One can learn about a specific religion on their own time.
2005-12-24, 9:42 PM #25
Dude...you talked with *thad* about *religion*?

I havn't seen it done in years.

Haha
2005-12-24, 10:12 PM #26
Originally posted by tofu:
As far as I'm concerned no public school should be teaching a religion class.

If there's enough interest among the student body, why shouldn't there (finances and staff permitting) be a class that at least gives an introductory review of the major world religions?

[quote=Sarn Cadrill]Actually... I'm pretty sure that Quran encourages "holy war"[/quote]

Not to my knowledge. Can you cite or quote a specific passage of the English rendition of the Quran?
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-12-24, 10:14 PM #27
Originally posted by Wolfy:
If there's enough interest among the student body, why shouldn't there (finances and staff permitting) be a class that at least gives an introductory review of the major world religions?

Assuming that it takes an unbiased viewpoint?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-12-24, 10:27 PM #28
Originally posted by Wolfy:

A public school is a government institution. There is a seperation of church and state. Therefore religion should not be taught in school.
2005-12-24, 10:29 PM #29
It can be taught (somewhat) in schools. I know there is a "Myth and Bible class." It's just that religion should not be a required class and that the school can not promote/demote a certain religious belief.
2005-12-25, 12:03 AM #30
A public school is a government institution. There is a seperation of church and state. Therefore religion should not be taught in school.

I don't think you understand what he's proposing.

Religion has had a humongous impact on our history. Offering a Religion History and overview class wouldn't violate any separation of church and state issues, especially if you at least covered all the main religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Shintoism [though...is that a religion?], Hinduism, etc etc). Then you wouldn't be pushing any one religion on the kids, you'd just be handing them the material.

The only problem lies in the fact that you'd see biased teachers, undoubtedly.
D E A T H
2005-12-25, 12:36 AM #31
Undoubtedly. I already said that the impact of religion should be taught in a history class.
2005-12-25, 12:57 AM #32
Quote:
...and you call someone like thad ignorant?
I never claimed knowlege on the subject. It's more like I've heard things from places. I haven't done enough research to confirm or deny anything, or to make such a claim. So please don't misunderstand me. I was mentioning that more to find out if it was true, than to make a claim. I'm sorry if it sounded otherwise.

Quote:
So we can be brainwashed about history and politcs, but there can be no mention of religion? How is it ok to cram down the throats of our children how wonderful our government and democracy are, but it's not ok to even mention that there's this thing called a belief system? I'm not saying religion should be "promoted." Just that the basic fundaments of the more dominant (by dominant I mean widespread) religions should be understood, in teh same way we should understand how the more dominant governments operate. If they had been to me, I might not be so ignorant about the Quran, and certain others might not be so closed-minded and bigoted towards religions they don't understand.

2005-12-25, 12:59 AM #33
Quote:
There is a seperation of church and state.

If only the separation was more clear.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-12-25, 1:02 AM #34
Quote:
Religion has had a humongous impact on our history. Offering a Religion History and overview class wouldn't violate any separation of church and state issues, especially if you at least covered all the main religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Shintoism [though...is that a religion?], Hinduism, etc etc). Then you wouldn't be pushing any one religion on the kids, you'd just be handing them the material.
That's part of it. But not just religious history, but the basic ideals, fundaments and practices of current major religions as well. I took a Inter-cultural communications class in college, and we had a section on religion. It was quite an eye opener. I learned a lot of things about different religions that I had no idea about.

2005-12-25, 1:08 AM #35
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
If only the separation was more clear.

That's know as the Establishment Clause.
2005-12-25, 6:58 AM #36
Undoubtedly. I already said that the impact of religion should be taught in a history class.

But if you just taught it in a history class they'd brush over it and you'd never get in depth. That's why it deserves its own class. Something like Religious Ed that the Brits take.
D E A T H
2005-12-25, 7:43 AM #37
Here in Germany it's also more of an ethics study. We also do sects, drugs, suicide, etc.

Suicide was interesting. The teacher read to us the efects some suicide methods have. I learned that the worst way to kill yourself is to take sleeping pills, because they make the sphincter relax and if you survive that you sit deep in the ****...
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-12-25, 8:20 AM #38

Perhaps.. but let's take a look at the Bible a second...

[QUOTE=Chronicles 36:14-17]
They mocked God's messengers, despised his words and scoffed at his prophets until the wrath of the LORD was aroused against his people and there was no remedy. He brought up against them the king of the Babylonians, who killed their young men with the sword in the sanctuary, and spared neither young man nor young woman, old man or aged. God handed all of them over to Nebuchadnezzar.
[/quote]

[quote=Kings 17:25]
When they first lived there, they did not worship the LORD; so he sent lions among them and they killed some of the people.
[/quote]

That's your all-loving God, killing some people for not believing in him.

[quote=Exodus 31:15]
For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day must be put to death.
[/quote]

That one's pretty blunt.

[quote=Exodus 32:27-28]
Then he said to them, "This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: `Each man strap a sword to his side. Go back and forth through the camp from one end to the other, each killing his brother and friend and neighbor.' The Levites did as Moses commanded, and that day about three thousand of the people died ... And the LORD struck the people with a plague because of what they did with the calf Aaron had made.
[/quote]

And a lovely little story about God killing 3000 people for worshipping a golden calf.

[quote=Leviticus 24:13-14]
Then the LORD said to Moses: "Take the blasphemer outside the camp. All those who heard him are to lay their hands on his head, and the entire assembly is to stone him."
[/quote]

Stone some blasphemers!

[quote=Deuteronomy 32:40-42]
I lift my hand to heaven and declare: As surely as I live forever, when I sharpen my flashing sword and my hand grasps it in judgment, I will take vengeance on my adversaries and repay those who hate me. I will make my arrows drunk with blood, while my sword devours flesh: the blood of the slain and the captives, the heads of the enemy leaders.
[/quote]

God boasts about his general bloodlust.

[quote=Joshua 6:20-21]
When the trumpets sounded, the people shouted, and at the sound of the trumpet, when the people gave a loud shout, the wall collapsed; so every man charged straight in, and they took the city. They devoted the city to the LORD and destroyed with the sword every living thing in it--men and women, young and old, cattle, sheep and donkeys.
[/quote]

Fall of Jericho to the Israelites (also worth remembering the blatant atrocities against God that the Israelites had already committed against God, which he conveniently seems to have ignored)

[quote=Joshua 8:24-25]
When Israel had finished killing all the men of Ai in the fields and in the desert where they had chased them, and when every one of them had been put to the sword, all the Israelites returned to Ai and killed those who were in it. Twelve thousand men and women fell that day--all the people of Ai.
[/quote]

Go Israelites! Indiscriminately kill those women and children!

[quote=Leviticus 10:6]
Then Moses said to Aaron and his sons Eleazar and Ithamar, "Do not let your hair become unkempt, and do not tear your clothes, or you will die and the LORD will be angry with the whole community.
[/quote]

Not exactly holy war, but one of my favourites.

I could go on like this for.. quite a while. Notice that I've only picked the ones relevant to 'holy war'. There's a whole load of things that have compulsory death sentences, like.
- Touching Mt. Sinai
- Hitting or swearing at your parents
- Stealing
- Approaching an altar or sanctuary
- Sorcery
- Worshipping other Gods
- Adultery (a particular form of adultery is specifically mentioned, sleeping with your daughter-in-law. Perhaps this is deserved of a particularly cruel and unusual death.)
- Homosexuality
- Marrying both a woman and her mother (other than that, polygamy is okay)

... to mention just a few. God also kills cities that refuse to enter into slavery of the Israelites and young girls that refuse genital mutilation.
Interestingly, they often repeat the exact same story several times (Numbers reitorates many of the same stories as in Leviticus), probably to ensure that readers of the most limited intelligence (read: fundementalists) will eventually get it drilled into their heads.

...So yeah, that bloody Quran, promoting violence and stuff!
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-12-25, 8:38 AM #39
Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
And a lovely little story about God killing 3000 people for worshipping a golden calf.

Mooby?

Also, Mort, all your stories are from the Old testament...but, I may be wrong, isn't the Quran yet again just a derivative of the Old testament?
D E A T H
2005-12-25, 8:50 AM #40
Not exactly.

The general story is that Jesus Christ was the prophet of God, and said some stuff. But Christians went 'omg' (literally) and worshipped Jesus Christ as if he were a god (and still do), despite God being all 'nono' to false idols. After 700 years, God figured the Christians had gotten it all wrong, and came to the prophet Muhammed to set things straight. Christians generally got things right (apart from worshipping Jesus as a false god), so the Qu'ran does overlap even with the New Testament considerably, just sometimes reitorating certain things. Like Christians, Muslims accept the Old Testament as well, and accept that Jesus Christ was a prophet. The Qu'ran is just a corrected version of the New Testament.

If you ever try reading it, the Qu'ran is written in a very different style to the Bible, it reads like a poem.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935

↑ Up to the top!