Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Superbowl XL
Superbowl XL
2006-02-05, 8:49 PM #81
The Seahawks did NOT play well. In the professional level, I should be seeing receivers making catches that are placed RIGHT in his hands. No, the 'Hawks had a fetish with dropping the ball. All those receivers better practicing REALLY hard for next season on catching balls or look for new work. I think the play calling the last minute was done wrongly. I would have put 3 on the board then make an attempt for onside kick. Instead, they tried for endzone and wound up with yet another NFC defeat. With the FG made (hopefully) you have time to regroup and reorganize the game. I don't know how good Seattle is with the rush play calling so I can't make judgment.

Edit: There were some baaaaad calls made. I can accept incompetance of officials if bad calls were being made on both sides. But since the calls were pretty much all against Seattle. I dunno. It leaves me to wonder.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-02-05, 8:51 PM #82
Originally posted by JLee:
I don't disagree with that call..but I do disagree with pass interference on the completed Seahawk TD pass.

I won't argue too vehemently with that one either. Jackson might have made the play without the little stiff-arm he put on the Pittsburgh defender, he might not have. Either way, that push was enough to ensure that the defender wouldn't have had a play on the ball, and therefore probably shouldn't have been called.

Originally posted by Lord_Grismath:
And all you whiners who are complaining about bad officiating are just upset that the Seahawks were STEAMROLLED. :D

I realize you're joking, but just let me say that even though I didn't care who won, the officiating bothered me a lot. The Super Bowl is the biggest event in American sports, and shouldn't be cheapened by calls like we saw today.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-02-05, 8:55 PM #83
I wanted the Steelers to win, thought they would win, and they did win. Not a bad way to finish a weekend.

The pre-game singers were mediocre.

The first half wasn't so well played by either team.

There were some pretty good commercials out there, some from relative unknowns such as Ameriquest.

Half-time show was quality, in comparison to something like Justin Timberlake, but I am not a fan of the Rolling Stones. Paul McCartney was great the year before.

Steelers laid the smackdown at the second half. I felt that Hasselback was throwing dangerous (as in aiming too far out) passes. Some plays, he was very hesitant in decisions, taking a buttload of time to place and then eventually throwing incomplete. The Seahawks were screwed by ref calls, a touchdown attempt, and some other instances.

Overall, a very entertaining game. Seahawks were an underdog, but they put up a fight. They almost turned the game around on an interception of the Steeler's ball as Ben's offense was at goal.
2006-02-05, 8:59 PM #84
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
The Seahawks did NOT play well. In the professional level, I should be seeing receivers making catches that are placed RIGHT in his hands. No, the 'Hawks had a fetish with dropping the ball. All those receivers better practicing REALLY hard for next season on catching balls or look for new work.

The only player I really noticed dropping passes was Jeramy Stevens. The football gods seldom look kindly on those who talk trash before the Super Bowl, and today was no exception.

Quote:
I think the play calling the last minute was done wrongly. I would have put 3 on the board then make an attempt for onside kick. Instead, they tried for endzone and wound up with yet another NFC defeat. With the FG made (hopefully) you have time to regroup and reorganize the game. I don't know how good Seattle is with the rush play calling so I can't make judgment.

I agree. The big advantage with kicking the field goal first is that, after making the field goal and recovering the onside kick, you won't be forced into a situation where you have to stop the clock to get the field goal unit on the field but can't spike the ball because it's fourth down.
2006-02-05, 9:01 PM #85
Yeah, I thought the refs were wearing Pittsburg underwear too. Especially that touchdown where the guy blatently sticks the ball over the goal line, even though he's laying on the field and technically down.

But I didn't really care who won. Don't care much about either team.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-02-05, 9:04 PM #86
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
Yeah, I thought the refs were wearing Pittsburg underwear too. Especially that touchdown where the guy blatently sticks the ball over the goal line, even though he's laying on the field and technically down.

Yeah, from some camera angles, Roethlisburger could have scored. On others he was clearly not in the end zone upon going down.
2006-02-05, 9:20 PM #87
Originally posted by Chewbubba:

The fact that he stretched the ball across the goalline after he went down never even came into play. If he gets the ball across the line at any point before he's down, it counts as a touchdown. As before:

[QUOTE=Michael MacFarlane]The ball was pushed back while he was on his way down, and still landed just short of the goal line. There were bad calls in the game, but that wasn't one of them.[/QUOTE]
2006-02-05, 9:22 PM #88
Yeah, but the guy who made the call was acting as if he was going to call him down before he changed his mind. That was kind of odd.
Pissed Off?
2006-02-05, 10:13 PM #89
Not one of the better Super Bowls in recent memory....But I am glad the Steelers won :D
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2006-02-05, 10:23 PM #90
Originally posted by Avenger:
Yeah, but the guy who made the call was acting as if he was going to call him down before he changed his mind. That was kind of odd.

True. On that topic, the one thing that really bothered me about the interference call is that the official allowed the Steelers defender to talk him into throwing the flag. That shouldn't happen.
2006-02-06, 10:55 AM #91
Originally posted by Ruthven:
I want the whole football pitch to go up in flames, then the england ruggers team dance on the charred remains :)

February 18th my friend. 12 days to go.

I've never watched American Football in my life, so I taped the Superbowl last night just to see what it's like. After watching 30 mins and only 10 mins of game time in that, I have come to the conclusion that it's the crappiest sport I've ever seen. Hell it's more boring than baseball.
nope.
2006-02-06, 11:37 AM #92
Originally posted by Baconfish:

I've never watched American Football in my life, so I taped the Superbowl last night just to see what it's like. After watching 30 mins and only 10 mins of game time in that, I have come to the conclusion that it's the crappiest sport I've ever seen. Hell it's more boring than baseball.

Trouble is, watching half an hour of football won't even give you a superficial understanding of the game.
2006-02-06, 11:40 AM #93
Originally posted by Ruthven:
I want the whole football pitch to go up in flames, then the england ruggers team dance on the charred remains :)

Field. Not "pitch."
2006-02-06, 11:46 AM #94

MacFarlane is right. You have yet to see the best of Yankee Football. The Indy v. Steelers game was better than this SB. Hell a significant number of regular season games were better than this game.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-02-06, 12:27 PM #95
[QUOTE=Michael MacFarlane]Trouble is, watching half an hour of football won't even give you a superficial understanding of the game.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Understanding the game helps a lot. That's why I can sit and watch a soccer, or should I say football (:rolleyes:) game that ends in a 0-0 draw and still be entertained by it.
Pissed Off?
2006-02-06, 12:37 PM #96
MacFarlane is right. You have yet to see the best of Yankee Football. The Indy v. Steelers game was better than this SB. Hell a significant number of regular season games were better than this game.

Plus, if you are from the team's home state or city...or if you can even connect with a team to favor one much more than the other, then you will find it much more exciting.
2006-02-06, 12:49 PM #97
this superbowl sucked :rolleyes:
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2006-02-06, 12:51 PM #98
Did you register just to post that? Wow. That's awesome.
Pissed Off?
2006-02-06, 12:52 PM #99
no i regested just to dump my old account my old account sucked :rolleyes:
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2006-02-06, 1:01 PM #100
It's very true. I used to not care for football much when I was younger, but now that I understand all the rules and all the strategy that goes into it and how complex it really is, I enjoy it a lot more. It really is a great game. It's like the best of strategy and pure brutal human to human action.
Warhead[97]
2006-02-06, 1:04 PM #101
I thought it was a great game. It wasn't until about the third quarter that Seatle really started to look like they weren't coming back, and those two 70+ yard turnovers near the endzone that each team had added some excitement.

I enjoyed the halftime show, wasn't garbage with no connection to the audience like previous years (Timberlake and Jackson, etc.). I liked how it wasn't that over-the-top pyrotechnic crap they usually go for. Still can't wait for V for Vendetta, though the trailer could have been better I guess.

[edit]in retrospect "great" might be too strong, but it was a solid sporting event that I could enjoy watching.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2006-02-06, 1:22 PM #102

Thing is, I don't want to watch a game when 2/3 of the time is taken up by standing around doing nothing.

And Avenger - "soccer" is almost always enjoyable, and my team is the bottom of the league. I still feel slight satisfaction off seeing them win. I'm not a team orientated guy.
nope.
2006-02-06, 1:29 PM #103
Thing is, I don't want to watch a game when 2/3 of the time is taken up by standing around doing nothing.

And Avenger - "soccer" is almost always enjoyable, and my team is the bottom of the league. I still feel slight satisfaction off seeing them win. I'm not a team orientated guy.

Most of the superbowl is taken up like that--mainly for commercial intervention, but trust me, real football games usually have a lot more going on.
D E A T H
2006-02-06, 9:09 PM #104
That was a depressing game. Even the steelers fans I know said that the officiating sucked and that it should have been a better game... Man, if there were better refs we would have had a great chance of winning it, but its really hard to win when you're working against the refs. And we played better but somehow lost... we had the ball longer, had more first downs, had more yards... ACH. And Roethlesberger or however you spell it was doing terrible, and we still lose! Oh well... we'll be back...
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2006-02-06, 9:31 PM #105

Not if it's a sloppy, poorly played game.
Pissed Off?
2006-02-06, 11:38 PM #106
this superbowl definitely sucked. I'm glad the Steelers won, but it just wasn't an exciting game
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2006-02-06, 11:52 PM #107
[QUOTE=Double Helix]That was a depressing game. Even the steelers fans I know said that the officiating sucked and that it should have been a better game... Man, if there were better refs we would have had a great chance of winning it, but its really hard to win when you're working against the refs. And we played better but somehow lost... we had the ball longer, had more first downs, had more yards... ACH. And Roethlesberger or however you spell it was doing terrible, and we still lose! Oh well... we'll be back...[/QUOTE]

I dont think so. Havent you heard of the infamous Superbowl Hangover? Seahawks wont have a winning record next year. And if they put Alexander on the cover of Madden... its gonna be a loooong season in Seattle.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2006-02-07, 9:30 AM #108
Originally posted by Avenger:
Not if it's a sloppy, poorly played game.

Ah true, but my team is always playing quite crappy. I reckon the other side being much better balances it out.

DAMN YOU LIVINGSTON!
nope.

↑ Up to the top!