Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The best headline since Burr KO'd Hamilton...
The best headline since Burr KO'd Hamilton...
2006-02-13, 9:25 AM #41
..mainly for deer & elk hunting. When hunting waterfowl such as ducks, geese, and pheasants, you typically wear camo because the orange will scare them away
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-02-13, 9:28 AM #42
Originally posted by Freelancer:
..mainly for deer & elk hunting. When hunting waterfowl such as ducks, geese, and pheasants, you typically wear camo because the orange will scare them away

It'll scare anything away. You still have to wear it if you're going hunting, and that's the only way you can claim negligence on the shooter's part (if you were wearing said vest).
D E A T H
2006-02-13, 9:28 AM #43
Dude, unless the other guy presses charges, or DIES. It's not a crime, and it totally happens all the freaking time.

The other guy didn't signal what he was doing.

IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME. IT WAS AN ACCIDENT.

HIPPY.
2006-02-13, 9:29 AM #44
No, deer and elk are colorblind, but ducks are very finicky. You are not required to wear an orange vest duck hunting, and if you do, I guarantee you will not lure any ducks near your blind.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-02-13, 9:30 AM #45
Originally posted by Rob:
Dude, unless the other guy presses charges, or DIES. It's not a crime, and it totally happens all the freaking time.

I don't know who the hell you go hunting with, but no, it doesn't happen "all the freaking time." And if it does to you, I would consider finding new hunting companions.
2006-02-13, 9:33 AM #46
I MEAN ACCIDENTS, HUNTING ACCIDENTS, happen, ALL THE FREAKING TIME.

Its pretty COMMON.
2006-02-13, 9:34 AM #47
Originally posted by Rob:
I MEAN ACCIDENTS, HUNTING ACCIDENTS, happen, ALL THE FREAKING TIME.

Its pretty COMMON.

I don't know who the hell you go hunting with, but no, it doesn't happen "all the freaking time." And if it does to you, I would consider finding new hunting companions.
2006-02-13, 9:39 AM #48

Haha, oh god you're about to get *****slapped.
D E A T H
2006-02-13, 9:40 AM #49
Freelancer: Shutup. You're wrong.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/ihea/ihea98a.html

1998: 987 accidents
1997: 1038 accidents
1996: 1048 accidents
2006-02-13, 9:41 AM #50
Here's some statistics from a few years ago.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/d.rosen/accidentstats.htm

LOOKS FAIRLY COMMON TO ME!

Also.

NOT ALL HUNTING ACCIDENTS ARE REPORTED. Many are FAIRLY MINOR. Some DON'T INVOLVE INJURY.

Hunting accidents are FAIRLY common.
2006-02-13, 9:47 AM #51
Those numbers are meaningless because they don't tell me how many people go hunting every year. If 1,000 people went hunting per year, then yeah, 800+ accidents is a lot. But if 100,000 people go hunting every year, then it is not a lot.

Second, according to ]-[ellequin's link, swimming is approximately 18 times more fatal than hunting, and boating is approximately 8 times more fatal than hunting. So please, give me a break. In 10 years of hunting regularly, I have never once witnessed anything close to a hunting accident. I reiterate that if you guys regularly do, I suggest you find more intelligent hunting companions.
2006-02-13, 9:50 AM #52
The United States Constitution was written so that people don't go to prison on the sole basis that you don't like even hate someone. No crime was committed unless new evidence is brought forth contrary. You want Cheney to go to prison because of your sheer hatred for this Administration. I knew this story was going to bring this reaction among the far let people. They will use this to further incite their hatred of this Administration. They'll find every excuse in to book to try to put whatever charge on Cheney. You all are going to fail.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-02-13, 9:51 AM #53
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
The United States Constitution was written so that people don't go to prison on the sole basis that you don't like even hate someone. No crime was committed unless new evidence is brought forth contrary. You want Cheney to go to prison because of your sheer hatred for this Administration. I knew this story was going to bring this reaction among the far let people. They will use this to further incite their hatred of this Administration. They'll find every excuse in to book to try to put whatever charge on Cheney. You all are going to fail.

But it's always right wing conspiracy! ALWAYS!!!!
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2006-02-13, 9:52 AM #54
Who says you have to see an accident to know that they're common? I know inner city shootings involving minorities are common. But I've never seen one.

The amount of people that go hunting is irrelevant. 1000 accidents a year is COMMON, especially considering that hunting season isn't even ALL YEAR.
2006-02-13, 9:52 AM #55
Originally posted by mscbuck:
But it's always right wing conspiracy! ALWAYS!!!!

You damn conservatives are out to eat our children.

That's why they should ban conservatives buying ketchup and barbeque sauce.
D E A T H
2006-02-13, 9:52 AM #56
May I point out that just becasue something is common doesn't make it excusable. I'm not saying Cheney should be put behind bars, but nonetheless, shooting someone, no matter how minor the injuries or how often such things occur, does not make it trivial, especially for the poor guy on the receiving end who just so happens to be 78 (not exactly easy for a recovery from a gun wound when you're 78 compared to most hunters who are probably much younger).

May I also point out that Cheney may not be the most qualified hunter. He's 65 year's old and has suffered from a series of heart attacks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Cheney

Quote:
Cheney's long history of cardiovascular disease and periodic need for urgent health care have several times raised the question of whether he is medically fit to serve as Vice President. Cheney sustained the first of four myocardial infarctions (heart attacks) in 1978, at age 37. Subsequent infarctions in 1984, 1988, and 2001 have resulted in moderate contractile dysfunction of his left ventricle. He underwent four-vessel coronary artery bypass grafting in 1988, coronary artery stenting in November 2000, and urgent coronary balloon angioplasty in March 2001.

In 2001 a Holter monitor disclosed brief episodes of (asymptomatic) ectopy. An electrophysiologic study was performed, at which Cheney was found to be inducible. A cardiac defibrillator was therefore implanted in his left upper anterior chest. As of 2004, it has never discharged.

So give Free an easier time, I definately see where he is coming from. Again, I'm not saying Cheney should be convicted, but looking at his medical record and considering this accident, I certainly wouldn't want to be his hunting partner.
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2006-02-13, 9:53 AM #57
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
You all are going to fail.

..Because he's corrupt. That was my point from the beginning.

If you can get in a car accident, get charged with vehicular manslaughter, and get sent to prison, you sure as hell can face similar charges for a hunting accident in my book.

(OMG ROB! VEHICLE ACCIDENTS ARE COMMON, MANNNNNNNNN- THAT MAKES IT OKAY, MANNNNNNNNNNN)
2006-02-13, 9:53 AM #58
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]You damn conservatives are out to eat our children.

That's why they should ban conservatives buying ketchup and barbeque sauce.[/QUOTE]

You will never get our A1 sauce...EVER!!!!! Or our McDonalds buffalo sauce
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2006-02-13, 9:53 AM #59
In 10 years of hunting regularly, I have never once witnessed anything close to a hunting accident.

Just because you haven't seen or experienced something means it doesn't happen. I mean, people have sex all the time, but because you've never seen it or experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
2006-02-13, 9:55 AM #60
..Because he's corrupt. That was my point from the beginning.

If you can get in a car accident, get charged with vehicular manslaughter, and get sent to prison, you sure as hell can face similar charges for a hunting accident in my book.

You are probably the most blind, ignorant guy that I know. Hunting accidents happen all the time and people don't get charged for anything. Mainly because you have to press charges if it's non-fatal. And most hunters don't. It has nothing to do with Cheney's "corruption"
D E A T H
2006-02-13, 9:56 AM #61
Originally posted by ':
-[ellequin']Just because you haven't seen or experienced something means it doesn't happen. I mean, people have sex all the time, but because you've never seen it or experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

ZING!
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-02-13, 9:56 AM #62
That statement was intended to add validity to my assertion that you ought to find good hunting companions, not that hunting accidents aren't common (which you have yet to prove to the contrary).
2006-02-13, 10:00 AM #63
That statement was intended to add validity to my assertion that you ought to find good hunting companions, not that hunting accidents aren't common (which you have yet to prove to the contrary).

They're not common in the sense you're thinking. We're proving that they're not UNCOMMON. Not that they're common. Big difference.
D E A T H
2006-02-13, 10:01 AM #64
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]They're not common in the sense you're thinking. We're proving that they're not UNCOMMON. Not that they're common. Big difference.[/QUOTE]

common == ~uncommon

*compiles & runs

*console prints TRUE

Hmmm...
2006-02-13, 10:03 AM #65
common == ~uncommon;

*compiles & runs

*console prints TRUE

Hmmm...

That has to be the stupidest way to present a post ever. Not only that, but it's...just wrong.

Uncommon--meaning it is not of the norm. Common--happens all the time. There can be a grey area there.
D E A T H
2006-02-13, 10:05 AM #66
you may think it's stupid to present a post that way, but I think it's stupid to say something is not uncommon without knowing how often it occurs in all cases.
2006-02-13, 10:09 AM #67
you may think it's stupid to present a post that way, but I think it's stupid to say something is not uncommon without knowing how often it occurs in all cases.

...1000 people in one year isn't uncommon. 50 or 100 would be. 1000 people is a lot of people considering hunting season usually only lasts from Fall until Spring (for the most part).
D E A T H
2006-02-13, 10:12 AM #68
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]...1000 people in one year isn't uncommon. 50 or 100 would be. 1000 people is a lot of people considering hunting season usually only lasts from Fall until Spring (for the most part).[/QUOTE]

WTF? You have no knowledge with which to make a judgement call between 1000 and 100. You don't know if hunting trips during which accidents occur account for 2% of the pie chart or 20% of the pie chart.

I'm not saying they're not uncommon, I'm saying it's stupid to say that unless you know approximately how many hunting trips there are per year.
2006-02-13, 10:14 AM #69

Only if he was neglegent.

If you took a minute to read the article, it says that the guy approached without signalling his approach, meaning they didn't know he was there when the shot was fired. You, sir, can now shut up with ccorruption bull****.
Pissed Off?
2006-02-13, 10:16 AM #70
Negligent.
2006-02-13, 10:16 AM #71
Originally posted by Avenger:
Only if he was neglegent.

If you took a minute to read the article, it says that the guy approached without signalling his approach, meaning they didn't know he was there when the shot was fired. You, sir, can now shut up with ccorruption bull****.

My point is, if you can get sent to prison for something you had no control over, such as a vehicle accident, why not shooting someone you thought wasn't there? The logical step would be to stop sending people to prison for car accidents. Either that, or start sending them to prison for hunting accidents.
2006-02-13, 10:20 AM #72
One cannot be sent to prison over something out of one's control. One can be taken to court and sued for damages, punitive damages, or even equitable remedies, but even so, there must be proof of neglect on the part of the defendant, which is clearly not evident in this case.
2006-02-13, 10:21 AM #73
The fact that someone got shot is proof enough of neglect.
2006-02-13, 10:24 AM #74
Freelancer, that is one of the stupidest, most ignorant, most asinine statements I have ever seen. You have set a new low for people to look down on.

You have no idea what the legal meaning of neglect is. Go read a few books, live a few more years (or not, as I would prefer), and gain a bit of knowledge and experience, then come back and try your argument out again.
2006-02-13, 10:26 AM #75
My point is, if you can get sent to prison for something you had no control over, such as a vehicle accident, why not shooting someone you thought wasn't there? The logical step would be to stop sending people to prison for car accidents. Either that, or start sending them to prison for hunting accidents.

You don't get sent to prison if you were on the *** end of a vehicle collision. Now if you were driving down the wrong way at 85 and purposefully trying to ram some person, yes, your *** would be sent to prison lickety split!

Cheney's not going to prison despite your every wish and desire.
2006-02-13, 10:26 AM #76
If it's the most asinine statement you've ever seen, then it should be easy to refute, now shouldn't it? :rolleyes:

Quote:
Go read a few books, live a few more years (or not, as I would prefer), and gain a bit of knowledge and experience, then come back and try your argument out again.

Hint: not a refutation.
2006-02-13, 10:28 AM #77
Attachment: 10396/care_o_meter.gif (32,039 bytes)
2006-02-13, 10:30 AM #78
Yes, quite easy.

10 months ago, I was working on something in my garage, when two people broke into my house. Through the back sliding glass door. I was shot in my left shoulder. I shot one of them in his lower abdomen.

Show me where the neglect is.
2006-02-13, 10:30 AM #79
We have, time and time again. You cannot be sent to prison if a situation is out of your control. That's why the insanity plea gets you out of prison (and into a mental institution). That's why vehicular manslaughter only can be prosecuted if the incident in question is YOUR fault.

Stop it with your stupidity, please.
D E A T H
2006-02-13, 10:31 AM #80
Wow.

If I cause a car accident due to my own negligence, and somebody else gets killed, I can be considered responsible for that persons death and be charged with vehicular manslaughter. If that person causes a car accident due to their own negligence that just so happens to involve me, and they get killed, they cannot touch me (in a legal sense). Anybody with half a brain cell can apply this case to that situation. Any attempt to claim otherwise shows a truly pathetic personal agenda.

↑ Up to the top!