Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Microsoft: New Motherboard? Get a New Liscense, bucko
Microsoft: New Motherboard? Get a New Liscense, bucko
2006-02-17, 9:00 AM #1
story
Quote:
Microsoft recently made a change to the licence agreement saying that a new motherboard is equal to a new computer, hence you need to purchase a new Windows licence.

Here is what Microsoft has to say:

“An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a “new personal computer” to which Microsoft® OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating system software is required.”

The reason Microsoft gave for this term is that “Microsoft needed to have one base component “left standing” that would still define that original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the “heart and soul” of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created.”

Microsoft sent a memo to its OEM partners asking them to enforce this new policy, every time they upgrade a computer for a client.

Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-02-17, 9:02 AM #2
[I glad about that too. Just don't admit it. - Vinny]
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-02-17, 9:05 AM #3
<3 OSX
2006-02-17, 9:13 AM #4
You know this isn't going to change anything right? You'll do your repair install, call up india and they'll generate an activation code... woooo
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2006-02-17, 9:31 AM #5
It's still asinine. When you upgrade your motherboard, you still have ONE computer which has ONE copy of windows. Durr, Microsoft. Math. Huh-heh!
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-02-17, 9:33 AM #6
Already switched them out, M$ can bite my shiny metal ***
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-02-17, 9:34 AM #7
I forsee a sharp increase in the number of mobo defects in hte future.

*runs and graps screwdriver*
Pissed Off?
2006-02-17, 9:40 AM #8
Originally posted by Yecti:
You know this isn't going to change anything right? You'll do your repair install, call up india and they'll generate an activation code... woooo

My copy of windows is legit, so I have no qualms about running an activation crack every time I install. (It works perfectly, btw) I fail to see why I should have to beg MS to activate my windows install.
2006-02-17, 9:40 AM #9
Feh. One more reason to format and install Linux.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-02-17, 9:42 AM #10
Am I missing something here?

Personally, I think it's understandable for the OEM editions to have this. The OEM generally comes with a new (purchased) computer, unless otherwise purchased from amazon, or whever else one might find the OEM edition.

Or does OEM (in this case) refer to all of the operating systems?
2006-02-17, 9:45 AM #11
So you take the old install and put it on the new PC. It's not like your licence dissapears with the old PC. Why are they making things so hard for system builders?
2006-02-17, 10:15 AM #12
Originally posted by Jepman:
Ban me if you want. But I'm ****ing happy I have my pirated version. **** microsoft.

thats my thoughts exactly..... WE SHALL GO DOWN TOGETHER, I'LL SEE YOU IN GUANTANAMO.
2006-02-17, 10:20 AM #13
Ban me if you want. But I'm ****ing happy I have my pirated version. **** microsoft.

*takes the legal copy of Windows he would've bought for Jepman's wedding and uses it for himself*
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-02-17, 11:01 AM #14
Originally posted by Shintock:
<3 OSX

Amen

(*Manseckses*)
2006-02-17, 11:17 AM #15
Originally posted by genk:
*takes the legal copy of Windows he would've bought for Jepman's wedding and uses it for himself*

Get me a legal copy of Vista and I'll make you bestest man.
2006-02-17, 11:18 AM #16
I just threw out my motherboard. Saving $$$ for a new compy, it's gonna cost me a little over two grand.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
2006-02-17, 1:59 PM #17
Attachment: 10453/winsuck.jpg (27,190 bytes)
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-02-17, 4:29 PM #18
Originally posted by Matterialize:
I just threw out my motherboard. Saving $$$ for a new compy, it's gonna cost me a little over two grand.

How/why the **** anyone would spend over 1500 on a computer is beyond me. Honestly.
D E A T H
2006-02-17, 4:32 PM #19
Originally posted by Chewbubba:

Technically doesn't Linux suck more in that picture?
D E A T H
2006-02-17, 4:35 PM #20
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]How/why the **** anyone would spend over 1500 on a computer is beyond me. Honestly.[/QUOTE]

Thats called being in canada :p
2006-02-17, 4:49 PM #21
Thats called being in canada :p

1500 US then :p
D E A T H
2006-02-17, 4:53 PM #22
Haha. I have a legal copy. That I can sintall whenever I want. Haha. Haha...HAHASHAHHAHAHHAH
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2006-02-17, 5:42 PM #23
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]How/why the **** anyone would spend over 1500 on a computer is beyond me. Honestly.[/QUOTE]
Perhaps because some people pay for quality? Let's face it. Not all manufacturers produce quality PCs at the same price. I spent $1200 on my laptop, and it's the most reliable machine I've ever used in my life.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2006-02-17, 6:08 PM #24
Laptops are different than PCs. They require the physically minimizing of technology and more heat management.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-02-17, 6:43 PM #25
I learned about this fact the hard way about a year ago when I got a new motherboard for my computer. After I had installed it and went to boot my system up, Windows told me that I had "changed my computer's hardware drastically". It was forcing me to "unlock" windows again as if I never had Windows XP installed on that computer before. I was going "WTF? K, whatever" and I went ahead and unlocked it once again.

Well, due to the new motherboard being a defective POS, I had to buy ANOTHER motherboard and once again, I had to unlock windows. Apparently, you can only unlock windows so many times before it considers your installation to be a pirate copy (stupid I know) so I had to call tech support and tell them that I was upgrading my computer and not making illegal installations. They sent me a new key for me to use to authorize my installation and make it legit.

I'm afraid now that if my computer ever has a hard drive meltdown and require a reinstall, I'll probably have to get a new key so I can unlock windows yet again. Those bastards. :mad:
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-02-17, 7:10 PM #26
Originally posted by DogSRoOL:
Perhaps because some people pay for quality? Let's face it. Not all manufacturers produce quality PCs at the same price. I spent $1200 on my laptop, and it's the most reliable machine I've ever used in my life.

Except, not only are we not talking about laptops, but we're talking about self-built PCs. You can make a quality PC on your own for about 500 bucks, even less if you really work at it. A monitor for 100 and a speaker set for 50 bucks, keyboard and mouse for 50 at the most. I don't know what the **** you think you're going on about...but you're wrong.
D E A T H
2006-02-17, 7:46 PM #27
Originally posted by Wolfy:
Laptops are different than PCs. They require the physically minimizing of technology and more heat management.

And the average price of a basic laptop is $499 (US), basic pc around $399. Based [loosely] on Dell prices.

[edit: Actually, Dell entry-level systems are a little cheaper than those prices, and are apparently crap, according to quite a few people.]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2006-02-17, 8:13 PM #28
Originally posted by Yecti:

They don't do it so easy anymore.
2006-02-17, 8:27 PM #29
Crap like this makes me want to keep buying cheap Dell systems and upgrading the crap out of them...Dell OEM software == no key, no activation..even if it didn't come with the system..
woot!
2006-02-17, 9:16 PM #30
And the average price of a basic laptop is $499 (US), basic pc around $399. Based [loosely] on Dell prices.

[edit: Actually, Dell entry-level systems are a little cheaper than those prices, and are apparently crap, according to quite a few people.]

The average basic price for a fully decked out laptop is about 600 US. One that doesn't suck horribly.

For desktops it's about 300-400, depending on the OEM.
D E A T H
2006-02-17, 11:33 PM #31
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]The average basic price for a fully decked out laptop is about 600 US. One that doesn't suck horribly.[/quote]
like I said: Quality.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2006-02-18, 12:20 AM #32
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]The average basic price for a fully decked out laptop is about 600 US. One that doesn't suck horribly.

For desktops it's about 300-400, depending on the OEM.[/QUOTE]
lol 600 dollars
2006-02-18, 12:21 AM #33
That won't bother me... yet. Perhaps in few months.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-02-18, 3:44 AM #34
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]The average basic price for a fully decked out laptop is about 600 US. One that doesn't suck horribly.

Fully decked out?

We must have different definitions of "fully". :p
woot!
2006-02-18, 4:15 AM #35
yeah i'm gonna spend loads more than that.

big TFT monitor, 7.1 speakers, flashy soundcard, pwncake graphics, the works.
2006-02-18, 8:29 AM #36

Those are for extreme budget machines in ads that companies use to lure you to their web site or store. They are usually the epitome of crap even for email and internet.

In the real world, some people like playing games. On nice monitors with nice speakers. 2000$ is a good budget for a new gaming PC w/ speakers and monitor.
2006-02-18, 8:56 AM #37
like I said: Quality.

And something that doesn't suck horribly doesn't neccessarily constitute quality.

[QUOTE=Mr. Stafford]yeah i'm gonna spend loads more than that.

big TFT monitor, 7.1 speakers, flashy soundcard, pwncake graphics, the works.[/QUOTE]You really don't need to to get a better system, spe.

Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Those are for extreme budget machines in ads that companies use to lure you to their web site or store. They are usually the epitome of crap even for email and internet.

In the real world, some people like playing games. On nice monitors with nice speakers. 2000$ is a good budget for a new gaming PC w/ speakers and monitor.

They sell Dells for 300-400 with everything they need to actually work (monitor keyboard mouse, etc). Not crappy budget OEMs, and they do actually work fairly well for people who are just doing browsing and stuff. I've used a couple of them.

And if you like playing games obviously you're not gonna spend 3-400 dollars on some budget PC, and spending 2000 dollars (unless you go with like a 2405fpw or something for a monitor) or more on a PC is just ridiculous really. It's usually just people paying too much for things they don't really need nor would they appreciate.
D E A T H
2006-02-18, 1:24 PM #38
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]And something that doesn't suck horribly doesn't neccessarily constitute quality.

You really don't need to to get a better system, spe.

They sell Dells for 300-400 with everything they need to actually work (monitor keyboard mouse, etc). Not crappy budget OEMs, and they do actually work fairly well for people who are just doing browsing and stuff. I've used a couple of them.

And if you like playing games obviously you're not gonna spend 3-400 dollars on some budget PC, and spending 2000 dollars (unless you go with like a 2405fpw or something for a monitor) or more on a PC is just ridiculous really. It's usually just people paying too much for things they don't really need nor would they appreciate.[/QUOTE]

One word: Bull.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2006-02-18, 1:30 PM #39
$2000 is not unreasonable to get a system with everything that you want.

$2000 is unreasonable to get a system with everything that you need ("need" also includes the ability to play the latest games).
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-02-18, 1:55 PM #40
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
One word: Bull.

Oh, good one. You've obviously proven your argumentative prowess in the price. And yet again, you come to save the day.

Oh what would we do without you Gold. Celebrate?

Wolfy--I know you can get everything you want for 2k. Somehow Yecti blew 11k on a computer...still wondering how he did that.
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!