Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Microsoft: New Motherboard? Get a New Liscense, bucko
Microsoft: New Motherboard? Get a New Liscense, bucko
2006-02-18, 2:07 PM #41
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi] Somehow Yecti blew 11k on a computer...still wondering how he did that.[/QUOTE]

11k dollars?
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-02-18, 2:09 PM #42
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Wolfy--I know you can get everything you want for 2k. Somehow Yecti blew 11k on a computer...still wondering how he did that.[/QUOTE]

My post was in response to Gold's post.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-02-18, 2:10 PM #43
Originally posted by Spook:

11k dollars?

I could do that easily..but it would involve multiple 30" LCDs. :p
woot!
2006-02-18, 3:00 PM #44
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
One word: Bull.

Here's several words for you: Yoshi is right. You are wrong. Shut up. Stop posting.
>>untie shoes
2006-02-18, 3:05 PM #45
Well, Yoshi does have an extreme history of posting incorrect numbers. 600 for a "fully decked out" laptop is hard to believe. That, to me, tells me that it should be top of the line. I can get a top of the line laptop for 600? I can build a top of the line PC for 500? Eh. Show me the NewEgg wishlist that accomplishes that.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-02-18, 3:49 PM #46
Originally posted by Emon:
Well, Yoshi does have an extreme history of posting incorrect numbers. 600 for a "fully decked out" laptop is hard to believe. That, to me, tells me that it should be top of the line. I can get a top of the line laptop for 600? I can build a top of the line PC for 500? Eh. Show me the NewEgg wishlist that accomplishes that.

Uh...I didn't say fully decked out laptop. I said desktop. You'd get a laptop with everything you need for about 600...same with a desktop at about 300-400. For 500 you're looking at a 6600GT/AMD64 3000+/80gbhdd system. Not a lot of bells and whistles, but a solid machine and most DEFINITELY a solid gaming machine.

Edit: Just priced it out--377 dollars with shipping that's about 390-400. That leaves 100 for peripherals and monitor...ten for a mouse, ten for a keyboard, and 70 for a monitor with 10 dollars left over for tax (you can usually find a quality 17" for 70-ish bucks. Usually.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814145098
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103535
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131558
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811154017

And I don't have an "extreme history for posting incorrect numbers". The one time I can even remember is my mistake about the USB wattage numbers...other than that, I think most would agree everything I say is pretty much spot on.
D E A T H
2006-02-18, 4:14 PM #47
so how come my machine is gonna cost almost quadruple that?

am i going wrong somewhere?

the sound system alone is gonna be costing me more than the perhiperal cost you listed. :p
2006-02-18, 4:16 PM #48
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Uh...I didn't say fully decked out laptop. I said desktop. You'd get a laptop with everything you need for about 600...same with a desktop at about 300-400. For 500 you're looking at a 6600GT/AMD64 3000+/80gbhdd system. Not a lot of bells and whistles, but a solid machine and most DEFINITELY a solid gaming machine.

Edit: Just priced it out--377 dollars with shipping that's about 390-400. That leaves 100 for peripherals and monitor...ten for a mouse, ten for a keyboard, and 70 for a monitor with 10 dollars left over for tax (you can usually find a quality 17" for 70-ish bucks. Usually.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814145098
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103535
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131558
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811154017

And I don't have an "extreme history for posting incorrect numbers". The one time I can even remember is my mistake about the USB wattage numbers...other than that, I think most would agree everything I say is pretty much spot on.[/QUOTE]

Depends on what your definition of 'need' is -- if I buy a laptop, I'm looking for a high-res screen and dedicated video..hard to find for $600. :)
woot!
2006-02-18, 4:32 PM #49
Originally posted by JLee:
Depends on what your definition of 'need' is -- if I buy a laptop, I'm looking for a high-res screen and dedicated video..hard to find for $600. :)

That's not need. That's want. Everything you NEED to run a laptop and run it well can come in a $600 package.
D E A T H
2006-02-18, 4:34 PM #50
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]That's not need. That's want. Everything you NEED to run a laptop and run it well can come in a $600 package.[/QUOTE]
That is of course unless you "need" it for video editing.... Then again you should be editing video on a desktop... but you know... you see my point.
>>untie shoes
2006-02-18, 4:36 PM #51
Originally posted by Bill:
That is of course unless you "need" it for video editing.... Then again you should be editing video on a desktop... but you know... you see my point.

I'm just talking about needing to get the thing to run. Not about what you run thereafter past browsing and word processing.
D E A T H
2006-02-18, 4:38 PM #52
You are still wrong, Yoshi. You will always be wrong.
>>untie shoes
2006-02-18, 4:44 PM #53
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]I'm just talking about needing to get the thing to run.[/QUOTE]
And what good is a computer if it "just runs?" You NEED your computer to have certain components in order for it to DO anything for you.
2006-02-18, 4:46 PM #54
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Uh...I didn't say fully decked out laptop.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]The average basic price for a fully decked out laptop is about 600 US.[/QUOTE]
durr
2006-02-18, 4:58 PM #55
And what good is a computer if it "just runs?" You NEED your computer to have certain components in order for it to DO anything for you.

Uh...if it runs, that means that it can from there do what you want. My bad on the decked out part--what I meant by that was it has everything you need to use windows. Kind of hard to explain--it's not stupidly basic, but it's of course not going to be a luxury system. 600 bucks will buy you a decent, workable laptop.
D E A T H
2006-02-18, 5:37 PM #56
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Uh...if it runs, that means that it can from there do what you want.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, if you don't mind being completely unproductive. You are generalizing things WAY too much.

Yes, 600 will buy you a decent, workable laptop. Hardly "decked out." And that's the problem most people have with your posts...you come off as other completely nuts or completely incompetant. It's got to be one or the other.
2006-02-18, 5:43 PM #57
Yeah, if you don't mind being completely unproductive. You are generalizing things WAY too much.

Yes, 600 will buy you a decent, workable laptop. Hardly "decked out." And that's the problem most people have with your posts...you come off as other completely nuts or completely incompetant. It's got to be one or the other.

I don't come off as either. You've just got a jaded view on me for whatever elitist reason you have.
D E A T H
2006-02-18, 5:52 PM #58
And how would you know? You are not the other people who read your posts. Most people around here laugh behind your back. You and Cool Matty, that is. Especially when you start arguing with each other. They just don't have the balls to tell it to you.
2006-02-18, 6:00 PM #59
K so I know emon. And while he gets on my nerves on the forums (>.> jkjkjk) he is most definatley not elitist.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-02-18, 6:01 PM #60
Here's several words for you: Yoshi is right. You are wrong. Shut up. Stop posting.

You are still wrong, Yoshi. You will always be wrong.

??
一个大西瓜
2006-02-18, 6:07 PM #61
Originally posted by Pommy:
??

He was messing with me. :p

Emon--same with you. Guess what, this is high school all over again. And I don't care about those who "laugh behind my back", or if they have the balls to tell me anything. The few massassians whose company I do enjoy outside of massassi aren't those that laugh behind my back, as much as they are people I've gotten to know fairly well. And I like how you ambiguously state "the majority of people" when you're probably taking it from a sample of 10-15 of the people from massassi you talk to outside of the forums. Unless there's some forum dedicated to ****ing my rep up somewhere else...in which case to be honest...I'm flattered.
D E A T H
2006-02-18, 6:20 PM #62
You're right, I don't know if it's the majority. But then again, you don't know the same about me, now do you? The difference between us, is that you run around acting (intentionally or not) as the authoritative source on all things computer hardware. And at the end of the thread, you've usually contradicted yourself several times and have had your arguments well refuted by more knowledgeable forum members.
2006-02-18, 6:23 PM #63
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]I'm just talking about needing to get the thing to run. Not about what you run thereafter past browsing and word processing.[/QUOTE]

Browsing and word processing? My uncle has a Pentium II 233 with 128mb RAM that can do that just fine. So now we're down to about 25 bucks for a desktop. ;)

See - it really depends on what you need.
woot!
2006-02-18, 6:30 PM #64
You're right, I don't know if it's the majority. But then again, you don't know the same about me, now do you? The difference between us, is that you run around acting (intentionally or not) as the authoritative source on all things computer hardware. And at the end of the thread, you've usually contradicted yourself several times and have had your arguments well refuted by more knowledgeable forum members.

I'm not the authoritative source. I give as much help as I can, and sometimes I make mistakes. I don't contradict myself, I might make mistakes here and there and usually the only person to correct me is Jon`C because it's some obscure aspect of video card/processor/chipset knowledge that I had no clue existed. You've "corrected me" what...once? About something which was my fault and I admitted it. You just find delight in finding something wrong with what I say, no matter how small, and exploiting it into this big argument which doesn't need to exist. I mean honestly...you're saying you can't do anything with a 600 dollar laptop (which is BS as long as you're not talking editing/gaming) because I said that there's no real reason to spend more than 2000 on a system. The only exception I could ever see is if you just have a stupid amount of money to blow on a system.... *stares at Yecti*

In other words stop trying to get me for the little bull**** that doesn't matter and making a mountain out of a molehill.
D E A T H
2006-02-18, 6:41 PM #65
/me prescribes to Massassi:

[http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/5608/chillpill2qk.jpg]

:cool:
woot!
2006-02-18, 7:09 PM #66
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]I mean honestly...you're saying you can't do anything with a 600 dollar laptop[/QUOTE]
No, I said it may not fulfill everyone's NEEDS. Like if you NEED to do audio or video editing on the go (just an example for the sake of argument). I've already acknowledged that 600 is fine for a decent laptop. But some people NEED more than decent to get their work done.

[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]You've "corrected me" what...once?[/QUOTE]
When did I say otherwise? By "more knowledgeable forum members" I MEANT other, more knowledgeable forum members. See, I say what I mean and I put effort into being concise and clear. I also take care in reading what others have to say and not putting words into their mouths. As you so frequently say, "reading comprehension ftw."

[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]In other words stop trying to get me for the little bull**** that doesn't matter and making a mountain out of a molehill.[/QUOTE]
I'm doing no such thing. The only time I have a problem with your statements is when there IS a big problem. 20 watt USB devices, 600 dollar "decked out" laptops, whatever. And it's not just a simple mistake, it's when you continue to adamantly argue that point which is a problem.
2006-02-18, 7:21 PM #67
People don't get laptops for video/audio editing...at least I hope to god you don't. You get it mainly for office-type programs, portability, maybe light gaming, and internetting. If you're going to tell me a 600 dollar laptop can't do all that (except the light gaming portion), then I'm going to laugh in your face.

And you've tried to catch me on many other things. I admit that the 20 watt USB thing was a mistake, but it wasn't anything major. I was saying that a 300 watt PSU would be cutting it close for a high-end gaming rig...and I still maintain that regardless of other people's experiences. It wasn't even wholly pertinent to the subject at hand, it was just an offhanded comment I made about something that I thought I knew, and I was wrong.

Having experience with these cheapo laptops, trust me, they're not as bad as you seem to think they are. Especially when you get them for 600 after rebates and such.
D E A T H
2006-02-18, 7:26 PM #68
Quote:
Having experience with these cheapo laptops, trust me, they're not as bad as you seem to think they are. Especially when you get them for 600 after rebates and such.

My dad has one of those (a little under $700 after rebates, I think) - nice little rig...widescreen, too..great for movies.
woot!
2006-02-18, 11:25 PM #69
huh. sorry to burst out your bubble. people -do- get laptops for audio stuff.

my cousin owns one. he's playing with Marie-Mai in Quebec (a major pop french canadian artist) they recorded a good part of her CD guitar tracks with it. it's a hit.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2006-02-18, 11:31 PM #70
This thread now has so much to do with Microsoft's motherboard policy.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-02-18, 11:42 PM #71
Originally posted by Shintock:
<3 OSX
2006-02-19, 10:09 AM #72
Originally posted by Seb:
huh. sorry to burst out your bubble. people -do- get laptops for audio stuff.

my cousin owns one. he's playing with Marie-Mai in Quebec (a major pop french canadian artist) they recorded a good part of her CD guitar tracks with it. it's a hit.

But could you honestly say that, within reason, the majority of people out there are looking to do audio, video, or photo editing when they pick up a laptop?
D E A T H
2006-02-19, 10:21 AM #73
I guess not, currently.

but with today's technology it's becoming alot more convienient. record songs on the tour bus, in a hotel room. just grab a few cables, mics if needed and do a quick and dirty demo recording to use in the larger picture.
"NAILFACE" - spe

↑ Up to the top!