Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Thinking about that Nano?
Thinking about that Nano?
2006-02-18, 6:54 PM #1
Think again.

Like 3 times the battery life, not as great a screen, but Samsung is notorious for awesome audio quality and it's flash-based. Not to mention no scratches.

:D
D E A T H
2006-02-18, 7:02 PM #2
If it had Vorbis support I'd be on it like a fat kid on a cupcake.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-02-18, 7:06 PM #3
Originally posted by Emon:

The only players out right now that have vorbis support (that I know of) are the iRiver and the iAudio, and I'm not sure about the iAudio.
D E A T H
2006-02-18, 7:10 PM #4
Yes, both of them do. Unfortunately no one else does.
2006-02-18, 7:11 PM #5
Link to the Samsung product page.

Dimensions: 1.66" x 0.45" x 3.54", 35 hour battery life, 4 GB for $250ish

Compared with the iPod Nano's 1.6" x 0.27" x 3.5".

So it's a little thicker than the iPod Nano, has a slightly worse screen, but has 4 times the battery life, for around the same price. I imagine it has an overall higher build quality too, but I'm partial toward Samsung.

I want one but I'll probably wait. Samsung is the king of LCD so they'll probably make one with a better screen soon. I wouldn't mind one that had a microdrive either, since the battery life is already longer than I've been away from a power source.
2006-02-18, 7:12 PM #6
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]The only players out right now that have vorbis support (that I know of) are the iRiver and the iAudio, and I'm not sure about the iAudio.[/QUOTE]

Check its specs sheet, check [newer than YP-U1] Samsung models' sheets while you're at it
2006-02-18, 7:22 PM #7
Oh wow, the player DOES have vorbis support.
D E A T H
2006-02-18, 7:26 PM #8
Damn, looks like a kickass player. Except for the "touch" pad in the middle I guess, looks a bit weird. We'll see though.

It still won't put a dent in Apple sales though. I'm still waiting for a player to do that. Apple controlling the mp3 player market is a blessing in disguise really. It's driving other companies to try and make really kick-*** players with more features, such as this puppy here, to try and compete or at least gain some entrance.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2006-02-18, 7:29 PM #9
Originally posted by mscbuck:
Damn, looks like a kickass player. Except for the "touch" pad in the middle I guess, looks a bit weird. We'll see though.

It still won't put a dent in Apple sales though. I'm still waiting for a player to do that. Apple controlling the mp3 player market is a blessing in disguise really. It's driving other companies to try and make really kick-*** players with more features, such as this puppy here, to try and compete or at least gain some entrance.

Indeed. Now someone just needs to make the next clickwheel.
D E A T H
2006-02-18, 7:52 PM #10

a quote worth reading. lol.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-02-18, 7:56 PM #11
Yeah, I won't get anything other than apple until someone developes a button system [The 'next' clickwheel'] that matches it, because yeah, iPods might not be the greatest thing on the market, but that button makes it enjoyable to use.

I HATE DINKY LITTLE TINY BUTTONS THAT FEEL BROKE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM. PUSHING THEM AND THEY GO "CLICK" LIKE THEY'RE BROKEN IS WHAT THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO SOUND LIKE. GRRRR!

For that reason ALONE I won't be getting a music player until they're more affordable, and I'll be getting an iPod at 30 or 60 gigs. That's all I'll need unless vorbis suddenly becomes a prominent music format. I'm not a quality nerd.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-02-18, 8:04 PM #12
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Yeah, I won't get anything other than apple until someone developes a button system [The 'next' clickwheel'] that matches it, because yeah, iPods might not be the greatest thing on the market, but that button makes it enjoyable to use.

I HATE DINKY LITTLE TINY BUTTONS THAT FEEL BROKE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM. PUSHING THEM AND THEY GO "CLICK" LIKE THEY'RE BROKEN IS WHAT THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO SOUND LIKE. GRRRR!

For that reason ALONE I won't be getting a music player until they're more affordable, and I'll be getting an iPod at 30 or 60 gigs. That's all I'll need unless vorbis suddenly becomes a prominent music format. I'm not a quality nerd.

It's not even that though. iPods sound bad with quality headphones and even on the best quality encoding.
D E A T H
2006-02-18, 8:13 PM #13
Does everybody need super ultra quality sound? No. What's efficient for a person is efficient for them. I know you are trying to look out for their well-being, but if the average person can't detect iPod sound from let's say iRiver sound, then they won't value the sound more than ease-of-use. And frankly, to the average person, they will prefer ease-of-use over quality sound (that they might not be even to distinguish from depending on the person).

2006-02-18, 8:21 PM #14
Originally posted by mscbuck:
Does everybody need super ultra quality sound? No. What's efficient for a person is efficient for them. I know you are trying to look out for their well-being, but if the average person can't detect iPod sound from let's say iRiver sound, then they won't value the sound more than ease-of-use. And frankly, to the average person, they will prefer ease-of-use over quality sound (that they might not be even to distinguish from depending on the person).

Agreed, although, the iPod headphones are horrid.

The thing is, I'd probably plug in my gigantic noise cancelation headphones to that little iPod, completely canceling the size factor of the iPod [which is unimportant to me in the first place] and making it's use specifically for the wheelbutton alone.

I want a 30gb iPod with a big bulky case, the nice screen and the nice wheel for something like 100 bucks, and I'd be happy. That won't be for a while, and by then, a more proficient music format will be available, or better HDDs for higher storage capabilities.

The thing I HATE about gadgets and whatnot is that there's no reason to get too affixiated with a product. It'll be obsolete soon, and your product's value will greatly decrease. You literally have to have a higher income to afford these products, rather than save up for them. You save up for a nice big new computer, it'll be obsolete by the time you've saved up for it. You'd need more money for the newer bigger better thing.

It's annoying, and stupid until I'm rich. UNTIL I'M RICH!!!!
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-02-18, 8:22 PM #15
Quote:
It's not even that though. iPods sound bad with quality headphones and even on the best quality encoding.

[LinkinPark]SHUT UP! I'M ABOUT TO BREAK![/LinkinPark]

We already had a 40,876 page thread over how your ears are freakishly sensitive and that the audio quality on the iPod sounds just as good as a CD or an mp3 to the rest of the world.
Think while it's still legal.
2006-02-18, 8:28 PM #16
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]It's not even that though. iPods sound bad with quality headphones and even on the best quality encoding.[/QUOTE]
Sounds just fine (even has enough bass).
2006-02-18, 9:07 PM #17
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort][LinkinPark]SHUT UP! I'M ABOUT TO BREAK![/LinkinPark]
[/QUOTE]

Dude, it is no where near as funny the second time. Come up with something original!

2006-02-18, 9:29 PM #18
Originally posted by tofu:
Sounds just fine (even has enough bass).

You must have horrible hearing. Especially considering you constantly complain how your IEMs have no bass response.
D E A T H
2006-02-18, 9:32 PM #19
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort][LinkinPark]SHUT UP! I'M ABOUT TO BREAK![/LinkinPark]

We already had a 40,876 page thread over how your ears are freakishly sensitive and that the audio quality on the iPod sounds just as good as a CD or an mp3 to the rest of the world.[/QUOTE]

You can't make bad music jokes at someone elses expense. Thats like a double, NAY tripple negative.

Not only do you listen to System of a Down, you write horrible music, with horrible lyrics.
2006-02-18, 9:33 PM #20
Yeah SAJN that was bad >_<.
2006-02-18, 9:33 PM #21
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]You must have horrible hearing. Especially considering you constantly complain how your IEMs have no bass response.[/QUOTE]
No, iPods DO sound fine. They are not bad, not great, but fine. They're adequate. And many IEMs DO have little bass response, but since I don't know which model, I can't tell.
2006-02-18, 9:36 PM #22
Quote:
Not only do you listen to System of a Down, you write horrible music, with horrible lyrics.

Leave your basement, get a haircut, after that, join a band, write some music, and call me when someone cares.

I didn't make a Linkin Park joke to poke fun at Yoshi. I used it, because when I typed in SHUT UP! I instantly thought of I'M ABOUT TO BREAK!
2006-02-18, 9:37 PM #23
No, iPods DO sound fine. They are not bad, not great, but fine. They're adequate. And many IEMs DO have little bass response, but since I don't know which model, I can't tell.

Okay, maybe I exaggerated, but the bass response, if nothing else, is horrid. And I put a lot of stock in bass.

He has E3c's btw I think, which you told me have good bass response. I know my E2c's have amazing bass response.
D E A T H
2006-02-18, 9:40 PM #24
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]You must have horrible hearing. Especially considering you constantly complain how your IEMs have no bass response.[/QUOTE]
If you're talking about my e3c's I already said I was wrong in my initial assessment (I wasn't fitting them correctly). You must have super special elitist hearing to say iPods sound terrible.
2006-02-18, 9:43 PM #25
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort]Leave your basement, get a haircut, after that, join a band, write some music, and call me when someone cares.

I didn't make a Linkin Park joke to poke fun at Yoshi. I used it, because when I typed in SHUT UP! I instantly thought of I'M ABOUT TO BREAK![/QUOTE]

I don't live in a basement.

Unlike some people, I realize and cope with the fact that I can't write.

Call me when your ****ty highschool band becomes a crappy college rock band, then disbands after you all have to start working for THE MAN to make ends.

And no really, you know you made the bad music joke because Spe made one. And it was funny, and people like Spe.

Too bad for you, that you're not funny. And no one likes you.
2006-02-18, 9:43 PM #26
Why must everything turn into an iPod debate? I have an iPod and I'm happy with it, and that player looks pretty cool too.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2006-02-18, 9:45 PM #27
Haha, check out the comments in that article from silly people who think it should support obscure music formats.

2006-02-18, 9:50 PM #28
Originally posted by tofu:
If you're talking about my e3c's I already said I was wrong in my initial assessment (I wasn't fitting them correctly). You must have super special elitist hearing to say iPods sound terrible.

1) You never actually told me that. But I knew that was the case from my own experiences.

2) I already said "Maybe I was a bit harsh" on everything except the bass. It sucks.
D E A T H
2006-02-18, 9:50 PM #29
I do kind of wish it had flac support, but oh well.
2006-02-18, 9:51 PM #30
Vorbis is the only thing I think should be bothered with other than MP3, AAC and maybe M4A. Maybe WMV. And MAYBE something lossless like FLAC. AIFF, WAV, ALAC? WTF? Why do you want WAV support in a portable player? Although it would take all of about a day to add support for, it's really not very practical.
2006-02-18, 9:51 PM #31
Originally posted by Rob:
I do kind of wish it had flac support, but oh well.

Dude, I don't think any player out there has FLAC support.
D E A T H
2006-02-18, 9:51 PM #32
Quote:
Unlike some people, I realize and cope with the fact that I can't write.

Yeah, I can't write. That's why I have a 90 something in my english class, and I've won many short story contests and poetry contests and..oh pfft, I'm just being silly. I really do suck, they just all feel bad for me.

Quote:
And no really, you know you made the bad music joke because Spe made one. And it was funny, and people like Spe.

Too bad for you, that you're not funny. And no one likes you.

Not only are you wrong, your also a complete loser. Seriously. Do you really need to treat everyone like crap to get attention? Do you get off to being a dick to everyone? Do you EVER have anything good to say...about anything?
2006-02-18, 9:52 PM #33
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort]...get a haircut, after that, join a band...
[/QUOTE]

Funny, I thought it was don't get a haircut...
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2006-02-18, 9:53 PM #34
Samsung went from supplying Apple with nearly all of its flash to directly competing in, what, 6 months?
This Space Intentionally Left Blank.
2006-02-18, 9:55 PM #35
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort]Yeah, I can't write. That's why I have a 90 something in my english class, and I've won many short story contests and poetry contests and..oh pfft, I'm just being silly. I really do suck, they just all feel bad for me.

Not only are you wrong, your also a complete loser. Seriously. Do you really need to treat everyone like crap to get attention? Do you get off to being a dick to everyone? Do you EVER have anything good to say...about anything?[/QUOTE]
Oooh, you have a 90 something in a high school regular level english class. Most of that is grammar, if you're not honors. Even senior year. Poetry contests might mean something if most of the participants weren't angsty emo teenagers of which they usually pick the one or two who actually have a decent story. When you start selling novels and/or songs en masse, then you can brag at all.

Rob may be an *******, but he's got a point. And usually he's just ****ing around anyways. You guys just take him way too seriously.

Naythn--they've been competing for a long while. They supply Apple because...well let's face it, they control like 95% of the market.
D E A T H
2006-02-18, 9:55 PM #36
*hugs his iRiver H340*
2006-02-18, 9:57 PM #37
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Dude, I don't think any player out there has FLAC support.[/QUOTE]
The entire iAudio line.

Oh, and SAJN, writing in class and poetry contests doesn't equate to being a good songwriter. I could probably write circles around most decent songwriters for essays, but of course I can't write a song worth ****.
2006-02-18, 9:58 PM #38
The entire iAudio line.

They do? Wow, iAudio keeps impressing me.
D E A T H
2006-02-18, 9:58 PM #39
Quote:
Oooh, you have a 90 something in a high school regular level english class. Most of that is grammar, if you're not honors. Even senior year. Poetry contests might mean something if most of the participants weren't angsty emo teenagers of which they usually pick the one or two who actually have a decent story. When you start selling novels and/or songs en masse, then you can brag at all.

90 something in a college level high school class. Not college prep, a level above that. Last week we had to read the Great Gatsby, then write an essay (5 pages MLA format) about a motif in the story. After that we had to read a short story by Fitzgerald and then write another essay due the day after comparing the two stories. Also, state contests, not school contests.

Quote:
Rob may be an *******, but he's got a point. And usually he's just ****ing around anyways. You guys just take him way too seriously.

It's because he thinks being a jerk is funny. It isn't. I hate people who think if they act like jerks it will be funny. It just isn't.

Quote:
Oh, and SAJN, writing in class and poetry contests doesn't equate to being a good songwriter. I could probably write circles around most decent songwriters for essays, but of course I can't write a song worth ****.

The thing is, it doesn't matter what you think. Because, the people I know, and the people I see in everyday life, enjoy my songs.
2006-02-18, 9:58 PM #40
Duh, they're Japanese.

↑ Up to the top!