Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → If you could travel in time, where would you go?
If you could travel in time, where would you go?
2006-02-20, 10:41 PM #1
Assume that time travel is possible and follows a model where 2-way travel is used, not just 1-way travel a-la Terminator.

Also assume that time-travel is confined within one continuous non-branching timeline.

Also, you can only observe; you cannot use time travel to influence future events, for example, you can't save Lincoln or JFK.

--------------------------------

I would go back to May 25, 1977, and see the original SW:ANH in a theatre on opening day.

Where would you go?
2006-02-20, 10:46 PM #2
Forward, grab lottery numbers, present, mansion in the alps where I would continue to be an arse, just with a lot more money.

Repeat as necessary.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2006-02-20, 10:54 PM #3
1986, Queen live at Wembley stadium. Then I'd probably dally about the 16th century and watch the reformation from a safe distance.
2006-02-20, 10:55 PM #4
Sometime before 1983 and during the 20th century. No, I'm not telling you why.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-02-20, 11:02 PM #5
I would stay up late, then go back in time to like 7 PM the previous day, go to sleep, and wake up refreshed!

o.0
2006-02-20, 11:05 PM #6
I must admit, going back and seeing Jesus would be cool. I'd need a translator though.

Otherwise, my only particular interest in time travel would be to see the future. Don't get me wrong -- seeing other past events would be cool... there's just no other particular moment I'd want to visit.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2006-02-20, 11:08 PM #7
Wow, I hadn't thought of using this opportunity to disprove whole religions. Now that would be fun.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-02-20, 11:10 PM #8
Go to all major historical events and **** em allllll up. Sure it may cost my existance but I'm intrigued at how major historical events would have played out had they not occured as written

Examples:
Putting a bullet in Lenin's temple.
Yelling HIDE to Archduke Franz Ferdinand
Giving the South a mega ****ton of modern weaponry
Aiding the British in the battle of New Orelans.
Plopping the French on America instead of the English
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-02-20, 11:11 PM #9
I'd watch how the universe was created (ie, skipping through the eons)

I'd watch the dinosaurs, and see how they died out.

I'd witness the birth of man kind, and observe the comings and goings of Muhammed, Jesus, The Buddah, etc.

Then I'd come back here to massassi, and for once, my opinions would infallible! :cool:
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-02-20, 11:15 PM #10
I'd go back several months and not hook up with my ex girlfriend.
>>untie shoes
2006-02-20, 11:16 PM #11
Anybody like time travel? lololol

I would go back to 7th grade.
2006-02-20, 11:21 PM #12
Go back to a time when lightsabers and TIEs actually existed :em321:
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-02-20, 11:58 PM #13
Honestly, I would go to every Jean-Michel Jarre concert.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-02-21, 12:11 AM #14
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
Also, you can only observe; you cannot use time travel to influence future events, for example, you can't save Lincoln or JFK.

Hm!

Originally posted by JediGandalf:
Go to all major historical events and **** em allllll up. Sure it may cost my existance but I'm intrigued at how major historical events would have played out had they not occured as written

Examples:
Putting a bullet in Lenin's temple.
Yelling HIDE to Archduke Franz Ferdinand
Giving the South a mega ****ton of modern weaponry
Aiding the British in the battle of New Orelans.
Plopping the French on America instead of the English

ULOSE. THX4PLAYENGLOL
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2006-02-21, 12:25 AM #15
Dinosaurs.
2006-02-21, 12:41 AM #16
Go back in time, punch Hitler for kicks, chill with Stalin, then come back and see what it messes up.

Or I'd try to cause a paradox, just to see what happens.
2006-02-21, 4:14 AM #17
I'm actually looking for somebody to go back in time with me. You need to bring your own weapons. Safety is not guaranteed. I have only done it once before.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-02-21, 6:15 AM #18
World War II FTW. Nothing beats shotting Nazis and stealing gold.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2006-02-21, 6:18 AM #19
I would go back to the year 1985, and observe the events leading up to my birth. I would then observe my childhood from a distance.
2006-02-21, 6:38 AM #20
Originally posted by Axis:
I would go back to the year 1985, and observe the events leading up to my birth. I would then observe my childhood from a distance.

That is creepy, you stalker pedo.
2006-02-21, 7:03 AM #21
I'd go forward to the Singularity. Screw everything else.
Stuff
2006-02-21, 7:23 AM #22
I would go to the 80's. Some say that was a boring era, but it looks like a funny time period to me. And the birth of video games and the silly music would make me laugh (for like a day or two).
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-02-21, 8:10 AM #23
I'd st up some sort of time gate at the doors of a high school, so kids from our generation would go to school with kids from the 70s.

Then I'd get myself a pet dinosaur.
2006-02-21, 8:30 AM #24
Originally posted by KnightRider2000:
World War II FTW.

I thought about that too. I was thinking of being able to witness the battles of Pearl Harbor and D-day from a safe distance.
No sig.
2006-02-21, 7:34 PM #25
Originally posted by Axis:
I would go back to the year 1985, and observe the events leading up to my birth.

"C'mon baby, all the other girls are doing it."
"Ugh. Fine. Just this once. Do you have a condom?"
"Errrr... yeah. It's a little old, but it should still be good, right?"
"Whatever. Let's make this quick."

Victorian age. Hop to the 1920s, get a complete print of Metropolis. Skidaddle to the dawn of Christianity, chill with the big JC, zoom back to 1977, get in that first audience to see Star Wars.

-Honestly, I've always wondered what effect that first shot in ANH had on the first Audience to ever see it. I mean, the closest anything EVER came to that was, what, 2001? And all those ship either spun in place or moved in a straight line. I'd love to see it for the first time, old school style.
2006-02-21, 7:39 PM #26
Originally posted by bearded_jarl:
"C'mon baby, all the other girls are doing it."
"Ugh. Fine. Just this once. Do you have a condom?"
"Errrr... yeah. It's a little old, but it should still be good, right?"
"Whatever. Let's make this quick."

Aahahahahahaha!!

ZING!
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-02-21, 7:59 PM #27
Originally posted by Ric_Olie:
I'm actually looking for somebody to go back in time with me. You need to bring your own weapons. Safety is not guaranteed. I have only done it once before.

Win.
D E A T H
2006-02-21, 8:06 PM #28
Originally posted by Ric_Olie:
Cut your freakin' mullet already. Oh, and I'd like to visit Egypt at various points in time, watch the pyramids and such being built.
2006-02-21, 8:06 PM #29
Scratch my previous post. I would time travel back to Friday night and shoot Micheal Morales square between his murderous eyes.

I cannot believe this state at all...I cannot.
2006-02-21, 8:10 PM #30
I'd get an arsenal of the latest firearms, cover myself with blinking LEDs, travel back to the bronze age in Europe, and declare myself God-king of the world!
I'm just a little boy.
2006-02-21, 8:22 PM #31
I'd watch the Hindenburg go down.
2006-02-21, 8:23 PM #32
Originally posted by Freelancer:
Wow, I hadn't thought of using this opportunity to disprove whole religions. Now that would be fun.

And this would work how?

"OMG guys guess what I went back to 30 a.d. and didn't see Jesus"

:p
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2006-02-21, 8:27 PM #33
Originally posted by Space_Bandit:
And this would work how?

"OMG guys guess what I went back to 30 a.d. and didn't see Jesus"

:p

Going back in time, to the theoretical start point of the Universe as we know it, and there being no God present.

Or, going back to watch the earth not get made in 7 days.

You pick one, I don't care enough to.
2006-02-21, 8:38 PM #34
But how would he prove it?
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2006-02-21, 8:40 PM #35
I'd go back a week last thursday.

The laundry was finished and we all sat and watched TV.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-02-21, 10:46 PM #36
I could go back and get Shintock to dump his girlfriend first... :o
2006-02-21, 11:14 PM #37
Originally posted by Space_Bandit:
But how would he prove it?

Video cameras.

And if I'm not allowed to take a camera with me, then I don't see why you'd be allowed to take clothes either. So you're naked wherever you go.
2006-02-21, 11:59 PM #38
Originally posted by Homicide:
Forward, grab lottery numbers, present, mansion in the alps where I would continue to be an arse, just with a lot more money.

Repeat as necessary.

Same thing but slightly different. I would get all the winning numbers from people that WOULD have won, and instead I wouldnt use them, and wait for the jackpot to go up. After the jackpot goes way WAY up, I would buy the winning ticket.
2006-02-22, 5:33 AM #39
I would go back to 1984 and kill myself.

Or not.

I would go back to 1980, though, just to live through the 80s again. Oh, yeah, and buy a Delorean off the show-room floor... :D
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2006-02-22, 5:51 AM #40
[QUOTE=Unknown User]Same thing but slightly different. I would get all the winning numbers from people that WOULD have won, and instead I wouldnt use them, and wait for the jackpot to go up. After the jackpot goes way WAY up, I would buy the winning ticket.[/QUOTE]

Sounds too complicated.

Why not just rob a bank, then go back to a time before you robbed it? :p
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I

↑ Up to the top!