Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → For all of us who don't own an X-Box 360
For all of us who don't own an X-Box 360
2006-03-05, 9:48 AM #1
Apparantly there's only one good game available for the X-Box 360.

And now you lovely PC and Mac owners can play a clone of it for free.

http://www.incitti.com/Blitz/

PS. The game I am referring to is Grid Wars, the clone of Geometry Wars.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-03-05, 10:19 AM #2
And it requires a joystick. I don't feel like getting mine, so I just wasted too much time.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-05, 10:35 AM #3
it doesn't require a joystick.
Flickr Twitter
2006-03-05, 10:46 AM #4
Elder Scrolls is for 360.

nyah.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-03-05, 10:51 AM #5
But also for PC.

Until now, Geometry Wars was the only reason to get an X-Box 360, and now there's a clone available on PC, see the point yet?
Flickr Twitter
2006-03-05, 10:54 AM #6
Speaking of Oblivion I preordered the PC collectors edition. I want that coin.

Also! I will have to try this game out.
2006-03-05, 11:13 AM #7
because its a clone you can't call it a registered trademarked name
[edit]To the post that disappeared on me[/edit]
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-03-05, 11:38 AM #8
OSX version was a pain - I had to bully it via the config file to start, I couldn't get the controls to respond, and I had to force quit it.

:(
2006-03-05, 11:44 AM #9
Yay for having a gamepad. This is actually quite fun.
2006-03-05, 11:59 AM #10
My best score is about 500,000 but i'm using a keyboard and i'm not very good (this is on default gameplay settings)
Flickr Twitter
2006-03-05, 12:28 PM #11
What's so great about it? It seems like just another asteroids clone to me.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-05, 12:50 PM #12
While geometry wars is a phenomenally fun game, you guys are giving the 360 far less credit than it deserves.

EDIT: Having played this, I can now say it has NOTHING on geometry wars.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2006-03-05, 9:29 PM #13
This was a good idea and is actually pretty well done, but it's not nearly as fun as Geometry Wars.
[This message has been edited by Viper45 (edited December 27, 2000).]
2006-03-05, 9:39 PM #14
Originally posted by Spook:
Elder Scrolls is for 360.

nyah.

No, Elder Scrolls is for PC. Getting the Xbox version of Elder Scrolls would be like stabbing yourself in the eyeball.

And we can only hope it does better than the XBox version of Morrowind. (Massive crashing issues, anyone?)
2006-03-05, 9:49 PM #15
Yes, if you have a $4000 pc.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
2006-03-05, 11:04 PM #16
I dont get you guys, with an xbox you can sit back and relax on your couch(instead of hunched over a computer) and enjoy your games with friends in the same room(not on the other side of the world although you can via xbox live).

I could never play a 100 hour long RPG hunched over a computer.

Also with xbox you just need to pay once whereas pc you always have to upgrade to get the best games(where do you guys get the money for doing this?).

Thats my two cents.
Spoting an error in post will result in a $100 reward.
Offer expires on 6/6/06. Valid one per customer, per day.

Rangi
2006-03-05, 11:25 PM #17
Games look better on a most monitors than they possibly can on expensive televisions. Some popular genres are more suited to the PC platform, such as real-time strategies, turn-based strategy games, and simulations. Modding is catching on. More and more developers are releasing SDKs and actively supporting modifications (take Civilization IV for example).

These are a few reasons why I sold every console I've ever owned, including an NES, an N64, an X-Box, and a Gamecube. Very few console games I've played have kept my interest, save for Goldeneye 64 and the original Mario platform games. Once 3D graphics became 'the thing' for consoles, there have been many games released that do not interest me in the least.

PC games tend to be more sophisticated. I find that sophisticated games keep my interest longer because the main draw of playing a game, for me, is to figure out how its system works. The more complex the system, the longer it takes me to figure it out. Once I've figured out how the system works, I become bored because there is nothing left to figure out.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-06, 3:11 AM #18
The new generation of consoles is different, though. Essentially, the 360 is capable of playng any current game at its maximum potential. Everything on the 360 connects through USB ports - I've plugged in my PC keyboard to send messages over live. With keyboard and mouse support, RTS on the 360 are only a matter of the developers releasing them, and from what I understand, Age of Empires III will be released sometime this year. The 360 is a very powerful GAMES ONLY PC, and a fraction of the cost of what a real PC running the same specs would cost you.

In addition, you argue that most games look better on computer monitors - this is true for xbox/ps2/cube - however, the next gen consoles are high definition systems; running a game at 1080i on a 62" LCD HDTV looks far better than a 19" pc monitor.
2006-03-06, 3:32 AM #19
I don't have a 62" LCD HDTV
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-03-06, 4:22 AM #20
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]And we can only hope it does better than the XBox version of Morrowind. (Massive crashing issues, anyone?)[/QUOTE]

The game never crashed once on me and I played for long long hours on the xbox.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-03-06, 7:32 AM #21
[QUOTE=Darth J]The new generation of consoles is different, though. Essentially, the 360 is capable of playng any current game at its maximum potential. Everything on the 360 connects through USB ports - I've plugged in my PC keyboard to send messages over live. With keyboard and mouse support, RTS on the 360 are only a matter of the developers releasing them, and from what I understand, Age of Empires III will be released sometime this year. The 360 is a very powerful GAMES ONLY PC, and a fraction of the cost of what a real PC running the same specs would cost you.[/quote]

Wow, keyboard and mouse support.. welcome to... 1975.

[quote=Darth J]]In addition, you argue that most games look better on computer monitors - this is true for xbox/ps2/cube - however, the next gen consoles are high definition systems; running a game at 1080i on a 62" LCD HDTV looks far better than a 19" pc monitor.[/QUOTE]

This I would have to see to believe.
2006-03-06, 7:36 AM #22
That linked website is horribly ugly.

This thread is slowly evolving into a Consoles vs. PC thread. In that case, WASD 4 LIFE.
2006-03-06, 7:41 AM #23
[QUOTE=Darth J]
In addition, you argue that most games look better on computer monitors - this is true for xbox/ps2/cube - however, the next gen consoles are high definition systems; running a game at 1080i on a 62" LCD HDTV looks far better than a 19" pc monitor.[/QUOTE]

No.

PC video displays are still way sharper, and way more high def than your average HD component display on a television.

Keep in mind also that 1080p > 1080i
2006-03-06, 7:43 AM #24
Originally posted by a_person:
I dont get you guys, with an xbox you can sit back and relax on your couch(instead of hunched over a computer) and enjoy your games with friends in the same room(not on the other side of the world although you can via xbox live).

Also with xbox you just need to pay once whereas pc you always have to upgrade to get the best games(where do you guys get the money for doing this?).

Thats my two cents.

I sit back, in an extrelemy comfortable office chair with a lockable tilt.

I also use a gamepad on RPGs.

This example is irrelevant.

Especially considering I have more than enough PCs laying about to put up a decent lan game of whatever deathmatch you crave in a matter of minutes. And the extra pcs aren't even really good pcs either.
2006-03-06, 8:00 AM #25
Hunched? I'm sitting at my computer desk, reclined back with my feet in a foot spa eating Tostitos and salsa and drinking a Pepsi. I'm entirely relaxed:D
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2006-03-06, 8:26 AM #26
Quote:
n addition, you argue that most games look better on computer monitors - this is true for xbox/ps2/cube - however, the next gen consoles are high definition systems; running a game at 1080i on a 62" LCD HDTV looks far better than a 19" pc monitor.

You must have a crappy moniter. And decent 19 inch CRT will own your LCD any day in terms of IQ.
2006-03-06, 1:21 PM #27
I've played CoD2 on X360 on a huge high definition TV. I don't know what's going on in yalls heads -- I would gladly choose that over any 19" monitor that has "superior" visual quality.
2006-03-06, 1:22 PM #28
You must have a serious eye problem then.
2006-03-06, 1:25 PM #29
lol, I'm sure.
2006-03-06, 4:23 PM #30
Originally posted by Jepman:
The game never crashed once on me and I played for long long hours on the xbox.

You either:

A. Bought the game over 6 months after it came out, when they decided to fix the game...

or

B. Are an incredibly lucky man.

I'm not exaggerating, it really was that bad. It was all over the gaming news sites, and people were complaining like mad hell in the Morrowind forums.
2006-03-06, 4:24 PM #31
I must have been really lucky then. Because I bought it the next day it was out o.O
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-03-06, 5:18 PM #32
Just play the damn game.
Flickr Twitter
2006-03-06, 11:29 PM #33
Originally posted by Rob:
I sit back, in an extrelemy comfortable office chair with a lockable tilt.

I also use a gamepad on RPGs.

This example is irrelevant.

Especially considering I have more than enough PCs laying about to put up a decent lan game of whatever deathmatch you crave in a matter of minutes. And the extra pcs aren't even really good pcs either.

Really, but how much did all of this cost you? Im willing to bet that my console, 4 controllers, tv, couch and ONE copy of each game were a fraction of the cost of multiple computers, multiple copies of each game, multiple computer chairs, you get the drift.

Also when it comes to a console you can just put in the cd and off you go whereas PC you have to make sure/hope your PC will play it, then install the game and the overall point is that theres alot more hassle than console gaming.
Spoting an error in post will result in a $100 reward.
Offer expires on 6/6/06. Valid one per customer, per day.

Rangi
2006-03-07, 1:24 AM #34
multiple copies of each game

hahahahahahaha
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-03-07, 7:28 AM #35

Thats my two cents.

or you could get a PS 2 and play good games...(i.e. the good 100 hour RPGs...did Xbox even have any good ones?)

as for the PC comments:
you need to upgrade everytime a next-gen system comes out.
and as for the same room thing: it's called a LAN party my freind had one last friday and we had 20 people in two rooms going at the same time. I don't play games online anyway.
“Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously.” -G.K. Chesterton
2006-03-07, 7:46 AM #36
[QUOTE=Numenor King]as for the PC comments:
you need to upgrade everytime a next-gen system comes out.[/QUOTE]

Incorrect.
2006-03-07, 7:48 AM #37
Really, but how much did all of this cost you? Im willing to bet that my console, 4 controllers, tv, couch and ONE copy of each game were a fraction of the cost of multiple computers, multiple copies of each game, multiple computer chairs, you get the drift.

Also when it comes to a console you can just put in the cd and off you go whereas PC you have to make sure/hope your PC will play it, then install the game and the overall point is that theres alot more hassle than console gaming.

Its practically free. I don't throw away old PC's. Installing games takes minutes. System requirements aren't a problem, I just read them.

I have several comfy chairs. Yes they costed money. Big whoop.
2006-03-07, 8:10 AM #38
Originally posted by Viper45:
I've played CoD2 on X360 on a huge high definition TV. I don't know what's going on in yalls heads -- I would gladly choose that over any 19" monitor that has "superior" visual quality.

You've never seen a good 19 inch moniter. 1600x1200 and a properly set up CRT is way better than 720p.
2006-03-07, 8:46 AM #39
Originally posted by Viper45:
I have a 24" LCD monitor and a 50" HDTV. Any guesses on which one I'll be playing Oblivion? Hint: It's not the HDTV.

There's one very important hole in your theory: The psychovisual impact of interlacing. 1080i actually appears lower-resolution than 720p in most situations, because you're getting less of the complete picture at once. The Xbox 360 doesn't support 1080p, so your theory about why the Xbox is better is blown out of the water right there. Unless you're stuck on a crappy monitor that can't go higher than 1280x720, your PC monitor will look better than a HDTV. 100% of the time, no ifs ands or buts.

So yeah, enjoy playing your singleplayer RPG with your internet buddies or whatever you said. I'll be playing it in my comfy operator chair at about twice the resolution.
2006-03-07, 9:12 AM #40
I should have rephrased that rob...

you are just as obligated to upgrade to next gen systems as you are obligated to upgrade your PC.
“Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously.” -G.K. Chesterton

↑ Up to the top!