Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Better getr ready. A REVOLUTION is coming!!!
Better getr ready. A REVOLUTION is coming!!!
2004-06-10, 2:01 AM #1
That's right. Nintendo means to jump ahead of the competition in a BIG way. This article explains, however vaguely...

------------------
I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

[url="mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net"]mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net[/url]Bruintone@netscape.net</A>
Yahoo! Name : jedibruintone77
I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

My Canada includes Beavers.
2004-06-10, 4:14 AM #2
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"><Kedri> The Great SpandeX Debacle of 2002
<Deth> The Great Kedri Revolution of 2024
<Deth> i wait in anticipation
<Kedri> mark your calendars, folks
<Kedri> wait a minute...
* Kedri does some math
<Deth> wait Kedri . . .
<Deth> you'll be like 85
<Kedri> I'll be in my 40's by then
<Deth> ok, The Great Kedri Revolution of 2006
<Kedri> dayammmmm
<Cazor|HW> ok, bbk
<Temperamental69> you're an old man =P
<Cazor|HW> BBL
<Kedri> that's freakin spooky
<Cazor|HW> BBC
<Cazor|HW> YES
<Kedri> yeah 2006 sounds better
<Deth> the British Broadcasting Company
<Kedri> I don't plan to live to see 30, anyway
<Deth> which Kedri will commandeer with paramilitary troops
<Deth> in the Great Kedri Revolution
<Deth> of 2006
<Kedri> right.
<Deth> after which, the entirety of Great Britain will be subjected to his antics and comedy sketches, interspersed with nonsensical tirades (which will be mostly jibberish)
<Deth> then, the populace will go mad as their minds are freed one by one
<Kedri> not unlike british comedy in its current form
<Deth> then a sniper takes Kedri out
<Deth> Natalie Portman goes on a nationwide search for a new full-time latin Lover
<Kedri> man, that's, like, armageddon
<Kedri> when I check out, you might as well pack your bags, 'cause it's all going down the pipes after that
<Kedri> Number of metaphors miXed: 3
<Deth> see? THAT'S the kind of thing that'll be on KedriTV
<GuNbOy> Im getting Tivo for this.
</font>

http://chat.woggle.org/quotes.php?id=1213

------------------
<S51> Give a man a sandwich and you'll feed him for an hour, teach him to make a sandwich and he'll get pissed, hit you and tell you to make him another sandwich.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-06-10, 5:08 AM #3
So Nintendo is making a new console... no surprise there. I'm interested to see what supposedly "revolutionary" system they'll come up with.

I wasn't aware the game industry was in a crisis, though.

------------------
I bet you think that's funny, don't you.

[This message has been edited by Jazzkokehead (edited June 10, 2004).]
2004-06-10, 5:50 AM #4
Hmmm. That was vague indeed.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

--------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-06-10, 6:39 AM #5
The Kedri Revolution will be broadcast!
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2004-06-10, 6:58 AM #6
Extremely vague. I dont put much faith in Nintendo though. Everyone knows all the good games came out 10 years ago.

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-06-10, 7:31 AM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">...Nintendo Co., which dominates the portable video-game machine market...</font>

followed by

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">...in an apparent attempt to catch up with rival Sony.</font>

If they "dominate" the market, why are they having to develop a system to catch up with Sony? Great contradictions there in the opening statement. Leave it to CNN to get half baked facts. And since when has Nintendo ruled the game market? When the Super Nintendo first came out? Gamecube isn't that great, and other than a few exclusive games (Rouge Squadron 3 and Pokemon) it doesn't really have any games you can't find on X-Box or PS2. Maybe a few others.

------------------
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2004-06-10, 7:38 AM #8
THRAWN, it said they lead the handhelds, not regular consoles. Also, gamecube rocks. Rouge Squadron 3 sucks big time.

1.) Zelda: Windwaker
2.) SuperSmash Bros.: Melee
3.) Metroid Prime
4.) Animal Crossing
5.) Pikmin
6.) Luigi's Mansion
7.) Viewtiful Joe
8.) Mario Kart
9.) Super Mario Sunsine
etc... The list goes on.

Almost any game worth buying for X-Box or PS2 comes out on the PC. Gamecube games are quality over quanity. They may not release a game ever day, but when they do release games, they are usually good.

Gamecube is the only REAL console. PS2 and XBox aren't consoles, they are computers. With crappy DVD players and CD playing and all that garbage.

------------------
OSC Empire | A.H.N.U.L.D.
[Jim7 PING reply]: 666secs
Think while it's still legal.
2004-06-10, 7:40 AM #9
They are the top when it comes to portable consoles(game boy), Sony is the top console producer(playstation).

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|My Portfolio|My Levels
2004-06-10, 7:45 AM #10
MGS2, has it come out for the PC yet?
Onimusha Warlords 1-3?

Sorry, I didn't catch the part about it saying portable machine market. True, true. I retract that statement since GBA rocks.

However, on that list of titles, only like 2 or 3 are worth my time.

Zelda-While I find Zelda to be boring, I know the game is still a classic.

Metroid Prime-Come on, it's Metroid.

SuperSmash Bros-never played any of them, mainly cause no one I know owns a Nintendo. Heard they rule.

Personally GC would be the last of the systems I'd look at (And I despise the X-Box with a burning passion). I just find the games to be too childish, and that controller sucks.

------------------
2004-06-10, 7:51 AM #11
I agree, I hate the Gamecube controller.

And yes, MGS2 came out on PC a year ago.

------------------
2004-06-10, 7:54 AM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:

Gamecube is the only REAL console. PS2 and XBox aren't consoles, they are computers. With crappy DVD players and CD playing and all that garbage.

</font>

Right. So what is it that doesn't make a console a computer?

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein
2004-06-10, 8:01 AM #13
Last I checked, Gamecube had a DVD player in it as well. And you need memory cards to save on PS2, it doesn't have a hard drive like the X-Box.

------------------
2004-06-10, 8:03 AM #14
GC has no DVD player. It uses mini discs.

------------------
2004-06-10, 8:04 AM #15
Thier "revloutions" are catching up to where PC's were 2 years ago.
2004-06-10, 8:13 AM #16
or..or..not perhaps. Doom III will be on XBox, and since DoomIII isn't out yet, I'd say consoles are good. And what isn't to love about the GC controler. It fits like a glow, with the curved R and L buttons and controler that just slides into your hands.

------------------
2004-06-10, 8:25 AM #17
Well, just don't count on Nintendo to actually name their new system Reveolution; that's just the code name. Remember Dolphin? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
He who passeth in shall passeth out.
2004-06-10, 8:31 AM #18
Meh, I think Nintendo's getting a little ahead of itself. I honestly don't see how they're going to change the way games are played without throwing in some kind of gimmick. But then again, that seems to be working with the DS. I had pretty much decided against buying one, but after I saw the E3 footage, I'm having second thoughts.

------------------
"I sound like angry chickens, or maybe a space robot."
-Les Claypool of Primus
2004-06-10, 8:32 AM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Last I checked, Gamecube had a DVD player in it as well. </font>

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">GC has no DVD player. It uses mini discs.</font>

Heh

------------------
Dude I've seen girls and I've seen lobsters, and that is totally a lobster.

-Correction
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-06-10, 8:48 AM #20
Hasn't Nintindo tried and failed at this kind of stuff already? I mean, all those Guns and Bazooka's that we had for the NES and SNES. And whatever happend to the Nintendo VR?

So anyhow...um...yeah...

------------------
Try not, do; or do not.
Math is infinitely finite, while the universe is finitely infinite. PI = QED
2004-06-10, 9:08 AM #21
Quote:
And what isn't to love about the GC controler. It fits like a glow, with the curved R and L buttons and controler that just slides into your hands.

</font>

I guess my hands are defective or something then.

------------------
2004-06-10, 10:16 AM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Friend14:
Hasn't Nintindo tried and failed at this kind of stuff already? I mean, all those Guns and Bazooka's that we had for the NES and SNES. And whatever happend to the Nintendo VR?

So anyhow...um...yeah...

</font>

VIRTUAL BOY!!! *Spasms*

------------------
[16:38] Correction: dick tracy was a real man
[16:38] happydud: Actually... He wasn't. :D
[19:08] Dormouse: hi, my name's happydud and i'm passive-aggress.. SHUTUP!! *stabs nearby orphan*
[You have gained 3 Dark Side Points]
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-06-10, 10:37 AM #23
Quote:
or..or..not perhaps. Doom III will be on XBox, and since DoomIII isn't out yet, I'd say consoles are good. And what isn't to love about the GC controler. It fits like a glow, with the curved R and L buttons and controler that just slides into your hands.

</font>

Have you seen the screens for Doom III on X-Box? It's a horribly low quality POS, that will run crappily on the box's GF3.

Console sales are slowing because nobody needs them anymore--computer prices are dropping dramatically. It takes ~5-600 to build a good gaming machine nowadays (I've done it for less, so don't fight me on this), and Consoles have very little to offer. Besides that, the same consoles have been out for years, meaning that most everyone that's going to buy has bought one already. The only thing they have to offer anymore are platformers, RPGs, and exclusive titles. GC, admittedly, has a lot of these exclusive titles, along with platformers, but as far as RPGs go...crap. Don't go "OMG WTF FF CHRONICLES AND...AND...ZELDA AND..." because Chronicles is a fully multiplayer RPG, and Zelda well....it isn't even considered an RPG by most sites.

The main fact here is though--Nintendo will fail most likely. Why? Because "revolutionary" doesn't always mean that it will succeed, or pull ahead of the competition--actually more the opposite. Most of the time these projects croak and die (Virtual Boy) and they leave the developers with an idea of what to shoot for next. Also, whoever says people aren't dazzled by graphics anymore is an idiot. Far Cry--buggy as hell AI, though it was fun, and the controls and whatnot weren't that great. It wasn't really a LASTING game, the story was bland, and the action, when there was some, was only decent. But it had amazing graphics. I know people who played the game just to see the physics engine or the graphics in real-time.

If you can make any sense out of that pile of random facts, good luck. I'm too lazy to compile it into an actual retort.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-10, 1:47 PM #24
I'm just going to stop posting on this thread now.

------------------
2004-06-10, 2:09 PM #25
The gaming industry is in a crisis? Only Nintendo would say that because many other companies are flourishing (especially EA).

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The main fact here is though--Nintendo will fail most likely. Why? Because "revolutionary" doesn't always mean that it will succeed, or pull ahead of the competition</font>

You're right, the Jaguar. Didn't that console let you create your own movies or something?
2004-06-10, 2:14 PM #26
Gamecube > other consoles based on Mario Kart: Double Dash alone.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-06-10, 3:55 PM #27
I just read an article in either Technology Review or Scientific American about integrating systems that watch players' faces and change thegame accordingly, or add new levels of interaction to the game. It sounded neat, but I doubt it would be feasible to implement this early. So, I doubt it would be the revolution to which the article refers.

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-06-10, 4:00 PM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">but as far as RPGs go...crap.</font>

SKies of Arcadia? Yeah it was for DC, but now it's on GC. Also it seems this year GC is releasing a super badass old skool RPG. I forgot but GC has atleast 2 more awesome RPG's.

------------------
"Ever since I was a boy, I have always kept your laws, now I want to follow you and join you in your noble cause. Jesus turned to him and said, 'Sell all you have give to the poor.' Rich young ruler hung his head, not to follow, walked instead." - Vanishing Lesson
2004-06-10, 4:03 PM #29
Well, there is Tales of Symphonia which is comign otu sometime, and the new Fire Emblem game, but thats a 'tactical RPG', so i'm not sure if that's what you mean.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²[/i]
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-06-10, 4:07 PM #30
I don't like consoles...

------------------

"Bantha's are filthy animals.......I don't eat filthy animals."

"Laugh it up Fuzzball!"
-Han Solo
2004-06-10, 4:18 PM #31
Well I think Nintendo see that in the future there will be a huge change in the way the video games are going to be played, it is true tho that I don't see how graphics can get much better, with games like half-life 2 which basically look like real life, Nintendo hopefully notices that instead of just throwing computer components in a box, get some decent games and rake in the cash that maybe great innovation will win.

------------------
When you expect the pain - nothing left to ascertain
When you respect the lie - Deadly chasm open wide
---Circle of Dust "Chasm"
He's Watching you
…../|,-‘`¯¯`\(o)_\,----,,,_………
…( `\(o),,_/` ¯ : o : : : o`-, ….
2004-06-10, 4:54 PM #32
Does anyone else remember when Sega was coming out with a revolutionary new console called the Dreamcast? Get ready Xbox and PS fans, you'll be playing Mario, Metroid, and Zelda soon enough. Nintendo is dying. They'll come out with this new console and then MS and Sony will follow about a year later and the Nintendo system will be blown out of the water.

------------------
I don't want your signature on the same page as mine. It's talking to my signature, and making it feel bad about itself.
2004-06-10, 4:58 PM #33
Um, not really MeLon. Ninendo already beat XBox in sales, and still has a firm grip on the portable console market. I seriously dount that the PSP will kill it, though it may make a rather large dent.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²[/i]
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-06-10, 5:11 PM #34
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MeLoN:
Does anyone else remember when Sega was coming out with a revolutionary new console called the Dreamcast? Get ready Xbox and PS fans, you'll be playing Mario, Metroid, and Zelda soon enough. Nintendo is dying. They'll come out with this new console and then MS and Sony will follow about a year later and the Nintendo system will be blown out of the water.

</font>

Uh, that's pretty much what happened with *all* of Sega's systems, except the Genesis and the Gamegear. And Nintendo has said over and over again that they will not become a third party developer in the unlikely chance that they do drop out of the console market. And be realistic here, do you really think one flopped console is going to completely bankrupt Nintendo? Remember the Virtual Boy? How about the Game Boy Pocket, or the Game Boy Color? No matter how big the next Playstaion and/or XBOX is, Nintendo's still going to make some money.
*Gasp*
Wow, this has to be the single most pathetic rant I've ever put together. I think should lay off the video games for a while.

------------------
"I sound like angry chickens, or maybe a space robot."
-Les Claypool of Primus
2004-06-10, 5:17 PM #35
Dreamcast was way ahead of it's time. I own one, beacuse it basically PWNS all the new systems.

------------------
"Ever since I was a boy, I have always kept your laws, now I want to follow you and join you in your noble cause. Jesus turned to him and said, 'Sell all you have give to the poor.' Rich young ruler hung his head, not to follow, walked instead." - Vanishing Lesson
2004-06-10, 7:09 PM #36
Actually the Xbox recently surpassed the PS2 in sales.

http://xbox.gamespy.com/articles/519/519384p1.html

So in turn, if what you say is true, the Gamecube is the highest selling system. And I think we all know that's not true.

Nintendo will not live out the decade as a console manufacturer.

------------------
I don't want your signature on the same page as mine. It's talking to my signature, and making it feel bad about itself.
2004-06-10, 7:23 PM #37
So you guys are basically saying that this is a repeat of the 80s? Except that instead of Atari it's Nintendo, and taking Nintendo's place it's Microsoft and/or Sony?

------------------
Our very existence is at stake

Yay! I can finally join the snail-racing crew.

-@%

[This message has been edited by Ric_Olie (edited June 10, 2004).]
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2004-06-11, 12:34 AM #38
Ha, Nintendo will not go out of buissness. They own to much. They have been in the ballpark for ages, they aren't about to leave.

------------------
2004-06-11, 7:08 AM #39
Quote:
Ha, Nintendo will not go out of buissness. They own to much. They have been in the ballpark for ages, they aren't about to leave.

</font>

Sega. Atari. As much as I love the old days of nintendo--those are quickly fading. The days where they pumped out tons of games, both good and not so good, on one of the single most revolutionary consoles ever (SNES) are over. They're dying man, it's obvious, and if they somehow survive this, then it's still just a matter of time.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-06-11, 9:18 AM #40
Nintendo needs a miracle. And I don't think they're going to get it. The Gamecube was pretty much a failure to the mainstream audience. It has alot of appeal to kids, but not enough adult oriented games for older gamers. I know I'm not going to buy a console that has been out for years based on the fact that it has 5 games that I want to play. Especially when all of the other games on the console that would appeal to me can be bought for pc or xbox.

The gamecube has failed. They didn't have enough adult oriented games at launch, and even now if they release one per month it's not going to increase sales enough to help them, mainly because they cannot compete with the games being released on the other consoles. They could release some huge fps game, and I know it's not going to cause any Xbod owner to trade in his box because we've got Halo 2 coming. There really isn't anything Nintendo can do at this point other than pray.

------------------

↑ Up to the top!