Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → They walked out...
They walked out...
2006-03-06, 9:21 PM #1
... straight into the picket lines. I know i'm not the only Canadian here, so post if (and how) you've been effected by the Ontario College strike.
50000 episodes of badmouthing and screaming like a constipated goat cant be wrong. - Mr. Stafford
2006-03-06, 9:28 PM #2
I (certainly) wasn't.
幻術
2006-03-06, 9:41 PM #3
someone care to explain?
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-03-06, 9:44 PM #4
My MSN subtitle is "Haha @ college students"
Stuff
2006-03-07, 2:35 AM #5
I'm not affected here at Trent, but I know people at Fleming who are less than pleased. I'd almost be glad for a strike, if only to get an extension on this blasted essay...
2006-03-07, 4:14 AM #6
There was a strike? Haha @ Ontariens. :p
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-03-07, 4:58 AM #7
Jep - it's not like we just didn't have our own teacher strike. And the student strike last spring.
2006-03-07, 5:06 AM #8
We did? Man that'll teach me for not following the news.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-03-07, 7:15 AM #9
Originally posted by MBeggar:
someone care to explain?

The college faculty for all of Ontario has walked out (their contract actually ran out in August of last year, and they've been negociating hard ever since. it finally fell apart last night at 10:30 EST).

Personally, I'm happy for the fact that it gives me an extension on this bloody concept art project (even though i finished it last night just before midnight), and that i get a day off. I'm pissed off because i don't know how long this thing will last (and so i can't schedual work days in advance as i have no idea how long it'll be before i'm back) and it screws me over for plans that my family made for late April.

*EDIT: used the wrong quote :o *
50000 episodes of badmouthing and screaming like a constipated goat cant be wrong. - Mr. Stafford
2006-03-07, 7:49 AM #10
Do they really need more money?

Or are they like the ******* pilots we have at UPS, and make more than enough but still want more?
2006-03-07, 8:50 AM #11
they always just want more. the ****ing greedy ****ing bastards. i wish they'd be made to get real jobs and see what it's like to have to actually work all day and when you complain your boss just tells you to shut the **** up and get back to work.

those ****ing pricks were on strike for 4 weeks and a day when i was in college. end of second year. ****ing *******s.

GET SOME REAL ****ING JOBS YOU ****ING LAZY UNION ****S!!!!!
2006-03-07, 8:54 AM #12
[QUOTE=Darth Evad]they always just want more. the ****ing greedy ****ing bastards. i wish they'd be made to get real jobs and see what it's like to have to actually work all day and when you complain your boss just tells you to shut the **** up and get back to work.

those ****ing pricks were on strike for 4 weeks and a day when i was in college. end of second year. ****ing *******s.

GET SOME REAL ****ING JOBS YOU ****ING LAZY UNION ****S!!!!![/QUOTE]
wow
2006-03-07, 8:57 AM #13
Guess its that time of month for Evad.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2006-03-07, 9:12 AM #14
My mom was taking a business course at the college down the street. Not a serious one (once a week) but still, she's a little bummed out.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-03-07, 9:17 AM #15
all the staff at UK universities were striking as well today.

what did I do with my day off?

stayed in bed like a lazy arse. :p
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2006-03-07, 9:18 AM #16
[QUOTE=Darth Evad]they always just want more. the ****ing greedy ****ing bastards. i wish they'd be made to get real jobs and see what it's like to have to actually work all day and when you complain your boss just tells you to shut the **** up and get back to work.

GET SOME REAL ****ING JOBS YOU ****ING LAZY UNION ****S!!!!![/QUOTE]i farted
2006-03-07, 9:26 AM #17

You're an idiot.

Bar none.

Unions are great, and without them you'd have NO RIGHTS AS A WORKER TODAY.
2006-03-07, 9:49 AM #18
Some unions are good. Teaching unions suck. They are part of the reason the eduation system, at least in the US, blows so hard.
Pissed Off?
2006-03-07, 10:09 AM #19
Holy ****. WTF. An American praising unions and a Canadian lambasting them. I thought I'd never see the ****ing day. Is it opposite day?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-07, 11:01 AM #20
I went jogging and didn't drink beer today: maybe it is!
2006-03-07, 11:05 AM #21

The only reason anyone listens to my teachers is that they do have jobs outside of the college - in fact, most of them are only part-time.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-03-07, 11:07 AM #22
Originally posted by Rob:
Unions are great, and without them you'd have NO RIGHTS AS A WORKER TODAY.

There's no union at Chuck E. Cheese, where I work. Fortunately, I'm my boss's second favourite employee so the other idiots will get fired before me.

Besides, if my boss starts abusing his union-free power, I'll just quit and go work at a nice place like EB.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
2006-03-07, 11:11 AM #23
Originally posted by Matterialize:
There's no union at Chuck E. Cheese, where I work. Fortunately, I'm my boss's second favourite employee so the other idiots will get fired before me.

Besides, if my boss starts abusing his union-free power, I'll just quit and go work at a nice place like EB.

lol dude, that is a hilarious post.
union-free power, lol, that's a great one. Dude, welcome to america, where 90%+ jobs are not unionized. You also come off as a brown noser and EB is NOT a nice place to work.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-07, 11:17 AM #24
Hey, I don't suck up to my boss. I just do my job. The reason I'm in the top 5 is just because the rest of the guys in my area are a bunch of lazy, unimaginative slackers.

And how big are the EBs where you live? I'm talking about a little tiny place. The biggest advantage that comes to mind is the fact that I wouldn't get beat up by little children while wearing a giant mouse costume.

(Normally not a problem, but my job description entails that I'm not allowed to fight back.)

Btw, you weren't including Canada in that "welcome to america" were you?
2006-03-07, 11:21 AM #25
Originally posted by Martyn:
I went jogging and didn't drink beer today: maybe it is!

wtf
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2006-03-07, 11:23 AM #26
Originally posted by Freelancer:
You also come off as a brown noser and EB is NOT a nice place to work.

I'm sure you can tell he's a brown noser from one post. Also, working at a place like EB is going to vary at each individual store.
Pissed Off?
2006-03-07, 11:24 AM #27
Originally posted by Avenger:
I'm sure you can tell he's a brown noser from one post. Also, working at a place like EB is going to vary at each individual store.

Thank you.
2006-03-07, 11:27 AM #28
Originally posted by Avenger:

No, not really. You haven't worked much retail, have you?
2006-03-07, 11:54 AM #29
You're generalizing, badly.
Pissed Off?
2006-03-07, 12:01 PM #30
I know what I'm talking about. The nature of your job is not going to change from one store to another in the same chain. It's all going to be ****ty still.
2006-03-07, 12:37 PM #31
Hold it. How big is the average EB around where you people live? The place in my town is tiny, like 350 square feet. Smaller than that, even.
2006-03-07, 12:39 PM #32
Originally posted by Freelancer:
I know what I'm talking about.

You just keep telling yourself that, tiger.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-03-07, 1:08 PM #33
It's settled, then.
2006-03-07, 1:11 PM #34
Everybody shake hands and have some cake.
2006-03-07, 1:11 PM #35
Cake me.
2006-03-07, 1:12 PM #36
I agree with everyone else. Even amongst chain stores, one is not going to be the same as another.
2006-03-07, 1:20 PM #37
Psh, maybe one or two policies that don't matter anyway. Policy will largely be the same, your work expectations and the nature of your work will be the same, the customers will be the same (hell, it doesn't matter where you work, customers are ALWAYS the same), that leaves... people. I guess if you get a ****ty boss at one store and a not-so-****ty boss at another, it could affect things, but really, 90% of the time you wouldn't be able to tell the difference store to store.
2006-03-07, 1:29 PM #38
One example does not prove for all cases. You must show that it's true for all cases.

Yes, I'm in a math class right now.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-03-07, 1:33 PM #39
Unfortunately, I don't think there's an equation for retail working conditions.
2006-03-07, 1:34 PM #40
Back on topic people (When i saw the post-count, i should've guessed that the thread de-railed)

↑ Up to the top!