Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Jesus Christ how they change
Jesus Christ how they change
2006-03-08, 11:52 AM #41
Originally posted by Rob:
Inflicting harm on yourself doesn't involve willpower?

Not much. A fat person punishing himself by not eating cupcakes takes some mental strength over a long period of time (longer, the more painful I assume). A quick cut doesn't seem to take much brain power, unless you consider being depress and sad a serious mental task.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-03-08, 11:57 AM #42
I'm pretty sure it takes willpower to willingly cause yourself physical pain.
2006-03-08, 12:09 PM #43
I think that takes willpower too.

I mean, why pay someone for something you can do yourself?

Wouldn't it be a lack of willpower? I mean, if you had willpower, you'd just hit yourself.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-03-08, 12:27 PM #44
Rob, you're making blanket statements, sort of.

Lots of people do it to 'see why would care'. That bugs me. But the times when I have caught someone with gashes that they cover up (wearing wristbands, long sleeves, or sometimes they do it in other places, :gbk:)

It makes me sad and I have to deal with lots of people around me doing it. Particularly girls. When I talk to them about it, they say that they can kind of get a release, and instead of feeling emotional pain, they can kind of work out their frustration through physical pain. I got one girl to start doing pushups instead and now her **** are more perky and she is happy, so it has improved my scenery, and her life. :)

That is how I can tell the difference. If they tell me they feel like noone sees them, or they want to see who will care when they see the scars, those are the attention whores. If they hide the cuts and I confront them and they talk about emotional release and the like, I generally take them more seriously.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-03-08, 12:37 PM #45
Originally posted by SavageX378:
Odd... I thought this thread was gonna talk about how people were changed by Jesus Christ, but then it dawned on me that it's just another stinking herectic using the Lord's name in vain. I'll leave now.

True.

:(
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2006-03-08, 12:51 PM #46
That's horrible, Potato. It's hard to see someone you know who was doing fine slowly ride onto a troubling path.

The reasons people change and how to stop them from going bad, for lack of better words, is up to those sociologists.. ..
2006-03-08, 12:58 PM #47
Originally posted by Spook:
Rob, you're making blanket statements, sort of.

Lots of people do it to 'see why would care'. That bugs me. But the times when I have caught someone with gashes that they cover up (wearing wristbands, long sleeves, or sometimes they do it in other places, :gbk:)

It makes me sad and I have to deal with lots of people around me doing it. Particularly girls. When I talk to them about it, they say that they can kind of get a release, and instead of feeling emotional pain, they can kind of work out their frustration through physical pain. I got one girl to start doing pushups instead and now her **** are more perky and she is happy, so it has improved my scenery, and her life. :)

That is how I can tell the difference. If they tell me they feel like noone sees them, or they want to see who will care when they see the scars, those are the attention whores. If they hide the cuts and I confront them and they talk about emotional release and the like, I generally take them more seriously.

Mostly to hide them from their parents.

Common girls want attention.
2006-03-09, 4:42 PM #48
I forgot to check back to this thread! Whoops.

There are a plethora of other ways a person can punish themselves that aren't so visible, and easy to notice.

For example, a fat people may start rationing their cupcakes to punish themselves. This however is highly unlikely, because fat people like cupcakes too much.

A failing highschool student, may limit their TV time, or internet gaming time.

There are several other reasonable ways to punish yourself that aren't going to definately get you attention.

Thats all these kids want. So I don't give it to them, untill they cut their hand clean off. Then I can laugh at their nubs.

Those are healthy, rational methods of self-"punishment", and the decision to do such a thing would be led by rational thought. Inflicting physical pain on oneself is a more immediate, emotional compulsion, and isn't always done in visible ways. A person might chew his cheeks, or overextend a joint, for example.
I don't doubt that there are those who self-injure solely to seek attention, but they certainly aren't the majority of cases.
I'm just a little boy.

↑ Up to the top!