Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Star Wars Versus Star Trek
Star Wars Versus Star Trek
2006-03-09, 12:32 PM #1
If all aspects of the Star Wars universe and all aspects of the Star Trek universe are considered within reason -- which I will explain shortly -- who would win? For example, it is unreasonable to declare Star Trek the victor because Q destroyed the Star Wars universe with a snap of his finger, since that is out of character for him and he could do the same to the Star Trek universe. Non-canon stuff is allowed on both sides.

It will be interesting to consider everything, from technology to philosophy to population to tactics to mysticism. Feel free to construct custom scenarios if you want -- pit Picard's Enterprise against the Executor or pit Worf against Chewbacca in a melee match.

Personally, as a whole I think Star Trek comes out on top (as much as I hate to admit it). For two reasons and two reasons alone: teleporters and replicators. Let's face it: most strategic locations are unshielded, so you could assemble a small task force, replicate them the necessary weaponry, then beam them in, blow **** up, then beam back out. It's hyper-guerilla warfare, with no real counter-tactics.

Another major point of concern is that the design of many Star Wars capital ships is subpar. It would be a minor inconvenience to target a Star Destroyer's shield generators, take down the shields, and beam aboard -- all within a very short time.

The jedi would surely put up a brave fight, but against numbers they don't fare too well as we saw in Episode III. One point in favor of Star Wars is its weapons of mass destruction -- the death stars and the sun crusher, for example. However, the Star Trek universe is capable of such mass destruction as well, via biological warfare, nanotechnology, and conventional weaponry too.

But I've got to say: in a melee fight, Chewie would kick Worf's ***. :D

Disclaimer: I know we'll get a lot of people who are going to say, "Bah, this is pointless!", or "Bah! This is too nerdy!", or "Bah! Apples and oranges!". Save us the trouble and don't post. We would like to keep our thread uncluttered from such tripe.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-09, 12:34 PM #2
I was just thinking about this. You should of made this a poll. I'd delete topic and make new one if I were you.

Oh, and here's a good resource, even though the guy is too much of a fanboy.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2006-03-09, 12:35 PM #3
Originally posted by KnightRider2000:
I was just thinking about this. You should of made this a poll. I'd delete topic and make new one if I were you.

Oh, and here's a good resource, even though the guy is too much of a fanboy.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/

Thanks for the URL. About the poll, I would like to encourage real discussion, which polls tend to subvert.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-09, 12:37 PM #4
The Borg would overrun the Jedi, the Empire, and the New Republic, assimilating their intelligence and technology into their collective.

'Nuff said.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-03-09, 12:39 PM #5
Heh, and what about the Federation? :p

Another point I would like to add is that SW may not be capable of destroying ST, but ST will *never* destroy SW because hyperspace is an order of magnitude faster than warp. Sure ST has slipstream, but it's nowhere nearly as reliable as hyperdrives.
2006-03-09, 12:42 PM #6
A borg jedi...*shudder*

Resistence is Futile
ASSIMILATE THIS! *Fire's rifle*
Resistence "IS" futile.
ASSIMILA...Resistence is futile *allows self to be assimilated*
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2006-03-09, 12:48 PM #7
My case:

Top 10 Reasons Star Wars is Better than Star Trek

10. In the Star Wars universe, weapons rarely, if ever, are set on "stun."

9. The Enterprise needs a huge engine room with an anti-matter unit and a crew of twenty just to go into warp -- the Millennium Falcon does the same thing with R2-D2 and a Wookiee.

8. After resisting the Imperial torture droid and Darth Vader, Princess Leia still looked fresh and desirable. After pithy Cardassian starvation torture, Picard looked like hell.

7. Jabba the Hutt would eat Harry Mudd for trying to cut in on his action.

6. Luke Skywalker is not obsessed with sleeping with every alien he encounters.

5. One word: "lightsabers".

4. The Federation would have to attempt to liberate any ship named Slave I.

3. Darth Vader could choke the entire Borg empire with one glance.

2. Picard pilots the Enterprise through an asteroid belt at one-quarter impulse power. Han Solo floors it.

1. The Death Star doesn't care if a world is class "M" or not.

-G Man
2006-03-09, 12:50 PM #8
You know what... using the process of artificially-created jedi (think Jedi Outcast Reborn), the Borg could make every single drone in the collective pseudo-jedi. :eek: Or just think about if the Borg found the location of the Valley of the Jedi. O_O
2006-03-09, 12:51 PM #9
My case:

Top 10 Reasons Star Wars is Better than Star Trek

Have you forgotten the first five minutes of ANH? :p

2. Picard pilots the Enterprise through an asteroid belt at one-quarter impulse power. Han Solo floors it.

Good point. Plus Star Destroyers have turbolaser gunners to break up asteroids and they also just let some asteroids bounce off their hull. :) That's one thing you have to give SW -- well-built hulls. Star destroyer hulls seem a lot sturdier than ST hulls.
2006-03-09, 12:58 PM #10

Borg will remodulate and adapt.

Quote:
9. The Enterprise needs a huge engine room with an anti-matter unit and a crew of twenty just to go into warp -- the Millennium Falcon does the same thing with R2-D2 and a Wookiee.

The wookie and the R2 unit's uniqueness will be assimilated into the collective.

Quote:
8. After resisting the Imperial torture droid and Darth Vader, Princess Leia still looked fresh and desirable. After pithy Cardassian starvation torture, Picard looked like hell.

The torture droid's uniqueness will be assimilated into the collective.

Quote:

For the sake of the collective's ability to operate, Jabba the Hutt will be vaporized and NOT assimilated.

Quote:

Luke Skywalker's incestuous activities will not be assimilated into the collective; his Jedi skills will.

Quote:

The Borg will adapt and modulate.

Quote:

The Federation will be assimilated into the collective.

Quote:

Darth Vader is already more machine than man - did you think there could be a Borg queen without a Borg king?

Quote:

Han Solo's unique piloting skills will be assimilated into the collective.

Quote:

The Borg will simply remodulate and adapt to the Death Star's superlaser and be unaffected. A Borg cube dies so the collective can live - fair trade.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-03-09, 1:01 PM #11
But can the Borg remodulate against plasma? The ST weapons we've seen them adapt to seem to be phasers; however we haven't seen plasma which is what most SW weapons fire. Plus, the borg can't adapt to physical blunt-force trauma OR explosions -- they'd be useless against, say, an AK-47 -- which I'm sure the SW universe is capable of producing.
2006-03-09, 1:14 PM #12
No such projectile-based technology is employed by the New Republic or the Empire. Furthermore, the Borg have demonstrated that close proximity is all they need - you get close to them, they grab you, assimilate you, and move on.

And, yes, I guess explosions can be considered a "weakness", but...well, that's a weakness shared by everyone. :P

As for plasma...well, I'm an IT major, not a physics or chem major. :D
2006-03-09, 1:19 PM #13
Doesn't the Executor completely dwarf any ship in the Starfleet arsenal? Yeeaaahh... Star Trek may have transporters and replicators, but Star Wars's ships and stuff are just way bigger than Star Trek stuff. Well, maybe a Borg Cube could take on an Imperial Star Destroyer.

Come to think of it, how big are cubes, and ISP's? Does anyone have an Essential guide?

Remember, there's the Eclipse too. And, of course, Death Stars. I seem to recall that there may have been more than two built.

Originally posted by Freelancer:
they'd be useless against, say, an AK-47

Try a Tommygun. (Anyone? ANYONE? :D)
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
2006-03-09, 1:24 PM #14
Originally posted by Matterialize:
Doesn't the Executor completely dwarf any ship in the Starfleet arsenal? Yeeaaahh... Star Trek may have transporters and replicators, but Star Wars's ships and stuff are just way bigger than Star Trek stuff. Well, maybe a Borg Cube could take on an Imperial Star Destroyer.

..and if you'll remember, the executor was destroyed by a lone A-wing, and both death stars were destroyed by a lone X-Wing.
2006-03-09, 1:24 PM #15
BANG BANG
2006-03-09, 1:29 PM #16
Actually it was destroyed by a huge space station :P
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2006-03-09, 1:30 PM #17
THE BORG WAS DESTROYED BY SEVEN OF HOTNESSNINE AND COMMANDER WHATSHERNAME.

STAR TREK SUCKS.
2006-03-09, 1:31 PM #18
Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi:
Actually it was destroyed by a huge space station :P

What was?
2006-03-09, 1:33 PM #19
the executor. The a-wing diddnt actually destroy it.

Star trek doesnt have X-Wings. And anything that small would easily be wiped out by Star Wars fighters. Star Trek doesnt have fighters. Which is their weakness. The ships in star trek also have a very limited number of weapons. They could shoot at 1 or 2 targets at a time. When theres 30 or so fighters shooting at a single star trek ship it wont last long.

Also, how about ground attacks. Could star trek muster up anything to destroy AT-AT or massive clone armies?
k
N
2006-03-09, 1:35 PM #20
SPACE IS NOT[/u] THE FINAL FRONTIER!
2006-03-09, 1:35 PM #21
Considering they could just replicate as many automated defenses as they'd like, I'd say yes.
2006-03-09, 1:47 PM #22
Originally posted by Wolfy:
No such projectile-based technology is employed by the New Republic or the Empire. Furthermore, the Borg have demonstrated that close proximity is all they need - you get close to them, they grab you, assimilate you, and move on.

Slugthrowers might not be in wide use, but they're there.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-03-09, 1:50 PM #23
This is Seti Alpha VI!
2006-03-09, 1:51 PM #24
Freeze borg with the carbonite gun from MotS. Problem solved. :p Also, Jedi/Sith could easily kill them using the force and they wouldn't be albe to protect against it.
k
N
2006-03-09, 2:47 PM #25
Based on his answers, Wolfy has been already assimilated...

Generally speaking Star Wars is far more militaristic, which would give them an initial edge. And despite Wolfy-borg's statements, I don't know if the borgs would be that succesful. They fare very well against the wussy ST Federation, but what can you expect when the founders of the federation don't even want to build warships...

And personal shielding exists in SW, which would seriously hamper borgs.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-03-09, 3:02 PM #26
Personally, as a whole I think Star Trek comes out on top (as much as I hate to admit it). For two reasons and two reasons alone: teleporters and replicators. Let's face it: most strategic locations are unshielded, so you could assemble a small task force, replicate them the necessary weaponry, then beam them in, blow **** up, then beam back out. It's hyper-guerilla warfare, with no real counter-tactics.

Ah, but many facilities are shielded. Even the Gungans have shields.

Quote:
Another major point of concern is that the design of many Star Wars capital ships is subpar. It would be a minor inconvenience to target a Star Destroyer's shield generators, take down the shields, and beam aboard -- all within a very short time.

You forgot starfighters. How many proton-torpedos does it take to destroy the Enterprise? A single squadron of X-Wings can launch 24 in a single moment, while they weaken the shields with their blasters. From what I've seen of Star Trek they don't have any defense against starfighters.
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-03-09, 3:45 PM #27
That's okay. The Enterprise will just create a disruption in the time-space continuum through one of the thousands of ways they've already done it and then send the X-Wings back to primordial Earth.

Quote:
And personal shielding exists in SW, which would seriously hamper borgs.

Very few people use it.
2006-03-09, 3:57 PM #28
The Combine would own them both.

[http://www.hardwired.hu/img/hir/News_PC_Half-Life_2_3.jpe]
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2006-03-09, 3:59 PM #29
Originally posted by Wolfy:
Very few people use it.

That's true indeed, but after losing a couple of capital ships to the borgs (and after having been forced to destroy their own ships because of that), I think they would quickly supply some of the troops with them.

All in all, though, in ST there has rarely been shown any real, effective large scale ground troops, like somebody already said. It needs to be remembered these are the troops that would be fighting also against invaders inside the ships. In SW there has been an infinite number of differend kinds of troops from droids to soldiers with active body armor to simple infantry.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-03-09, 4:23 PM #30
'Stun', in Star Wars, is often lethal and extremely painful. Weapons in Star Wars can't be set to stun because Star Wars weapons suck at stunning.

Quote:
The Enterprise is 800 m long and has a crew of 1100. The Millennium Falcon is 26.7 m long and has a crew of 2.

Quote:
Picard was stripped naked, tortured, beaten, electrocuted, starved, humiliated and sleep-deprived. Princess Leia was injected with truth serum.

Quote:
I hope so.

Quote:
No, just his twin sister.

Quote:
Orbital bombardment takes lightsabers. Checkmate.

Quote:
Ok.

Quote:
So why didn't he choke the rebel starfighter pilots in ANH? Or the escaping rebels in ESB? Or the rebel fleet in RotJ? Or choke the Emperor instead of having to physically toss him into a pit?

Quote:
1.) The Enterprise engines weren't working in that episode, 2.) When it's fully-powered the Enterprise doesn't need to steer through asteroid belts, the navigational deflectors are capable of moving them.

Quote:
They should, because blowing up a planet that isn't populated is a waste of power.

Edit: Even though SW tech is clearly superior to ST tech, I hate that stupid list.
2006-03-09, 4:31 PM #31
I can't help but laugh every time a Star Trek ship gets hit, stuff on the bridge starts exploding... I mean, are the consoles on the bridge lined with TNT or something? :D
2006-03-09, 4:43 PM #32
Star Wars seems alot more practical and doesn't have crappy uniforms.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2006-03-09, 4:55 PM #33
There is one thing we can all agree on:

THERE IS NO SOUND IN SPACE.
2006-03-09, 4:56 PM #34
That wouldn't make for very exciting movies. :(
2006-03-09, 5:15 PM #35
Actually, in the fifth season episode 'Conundrum,' the Enterprise D handily destroys a decent number of small fighter craft exceptionally rapidly using its phaser banks.

Just something that should be noted...
"And lo, let us open up into the holy book of Proxy2..." -genk
His pot is blacker than his kettle!
2006-03-09, 5:26 PM #36
Not to offend, but to me it's the fans, Trek fans are on a whole other level. I've seen some nerdy Star Wars fans, hell I have a 12" Fett figure on my shelf at the dorm, but Trek fans are something else.

Star Wars wins.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2006-03-09, 5:30 PM #37
The Enterprise is a town-sized ship which has to obey Newtonian mechanics at least partially. It tries to go rip-roaring through an asteroid belt, it will collide into dozens of asteroids in the first 15 seconds of flight.

The Millennium Falcon is a small freighter that is highly more manuverable that can evade asteroids at greater speeds. Besides, you saw what was happening to star destroyers in ESB.

That wouldn't make for very exciting movies. :(

Serenity pulled it off.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-03-09, 5:37 PM #38
Originally posted by Space_Bandit:
The Combine would own them both.

[http://www.hardwired.hu/img/hir/News_PC_Half-Life_2_3.jpe]

*Sniff*

Finally, someone who likes Half-Life 2. However, G-Man, who's going to stop him?

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/chaarrllee/gman.jpg]

-G Man
2006-03-09, 6:14 PM #39
Finally, someone who likes Half-Life 2. However, G-Man, who's going to stop him?[/IMG]

Uh, I think more people like HL2 than you imagine. As for the G-Man, ST has a similar omnipresent character called the Q, but he's a big n00b because he wants to be more human.

In fact, one of the reasons ST sucks is because every alien is humanoid and so similar in physiology to humans, except for maybe a variation in a body part like the ears or a different skin color and some bumps on the forehead. And most want to be more human. WTF.

Also, ST is just so . . . lame. What's up with the federation spandex suits? Why are the shuttles big vans on skis w/o wheels? The federation is all about discovering stuff and clearly the Klingon are a warrior-based type. Could they be more opposite and not original? Why are they always going back in time? Why does some guy, Q, block the Enterprise in a huge chain link fence? So ghey.

ST nerds on average are on a higher level of nerddom than SW nerds.

Then again, Rosh Penin is a horrible name.
2006-03-09, 6:43 PM #40
Stargate technology would Pwn all of you nerds.
so...

STFU [/SIZE][/U]
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}

↑ Up to the top!