Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Jedi Knight: Rebirth Canceled
Jedi Knight: Rebirth Canceled
2006-03-10, 2:26 PM #1
Well, sort of. It seems Shred has decided he's too good for JKR, and has started his own project.

JKR, however, has been canceled. Any hopes for levels, sounds, or animations will have to be organized by former JKR members, or Shred. Sorry to anyone who was fond of our organized group's effort.

I will be leaving JK editing. I know that probably means nothing to you, and that's fine. I did a lot of non-showcased work with several different authors, and didn't release a lot of stuff, [None at massassi] so not many of you would know much about my editing life. I've retired due to the community's shift towards personalization of work, and the overall political [#JK #Nar] atmosphere the editing community has taken on.

I will be posting on this thread in a few days and upload ALL of the models I've ever done in .obj form for anyone's free use, with credit.

So anyway, where will I go now? I'm thinking about HL2 editing, or perhaps just freelance modeling. I'm hoping to master lightwave in the next few months of not adminning/worrying about JK projects.

Thanks to anyone who's ever shared editing time with me. You know my passion for it, and you know how much it sucks for me to leave, but I just don't feel like dealing with all of the baggage that comes with wanting to make the community happy.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-10, 2:31 PM #2
k bye.
2006-03-10, 2:34 PM #3
I want to edit HL2 as well, can I come with you?

Sorry to see you go. Despite what you or others said, you were a good modeller, and I know I'm right, cos I'm awesome.

I hope you still hang around these forums sometimes.

no sane person could leave massassi for good.

Later dude.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-03-10, 2:36 PM #4
Good idea about trying to master Lightwave. Other than that... Well it sucks that the project fell apart. It was cool, but the cool ones always fall apart.
>>untie shoes
2006-03-10, 2:38 PM #5
I'm NOT leaving Massassi, are you flipping crazy?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-10, 2:39 PM #6
What?! A mod for a game older than time itself that was being worked on by two teenagers is being canceled? USA Today didn't mention anything about this!

Quote:
Thanks to anyone who's ever shared editing time with me. You know my passion for it, and you know how much it sucks for me to leave, but I just don't feel like dealing with all of the baggage that comes with wanting to make the community happy.

This coming from you is shocking. Since when did you give a crap what other people thought about your work? Make what you want, not what you think will make the community happy.

Sorry to sound like a wang-mc-wang-face, but JK has been dead for a while, and the horse that it is has been beaten to dust, so it isn't really shocking that you're quitting JK. Infact, all the better. Start working on some cool HL2 mod or something. You should be making models for modern stuff not ancient games.
Think while it's still legal.
2006-03-10, 2:44 PM #7
Awesome.

One down.

More to go.
2006-03-10, 2:46 PM #8
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort]This coming from you is shocking. Since when did you give a crap what other people thought about your work? Make what you want, not what you think will make the community happy.[/QUOTE]

You didn't see the repeater threads, did you? I've remodelled several models for the sheer sake of making people happy. That was the entire intentions of JKR. No, wait, it just sounds like you're angry because I criticise your work and you can't handle that.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-10, 2:53 PM #9
Kirb, this sucks. JK Editing won t be the same without you. I think all your models are awesome.

(sorry my apostrophe key does not seem to be working anymore =\ )

Everyone s just being extremely critical of eachother s work. That includes you, by the way. Despite all that, I think a lot of good stuff is being made. I wish I could be on a team and do something less personalized. But I haven t got any of the skills required. So I just make my own levels, and as long as they get played, I m happy. I don t need a SotD to enjoy what I m doing. You should too. Come on man! ;)
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-03-10, 2:53 PM #10
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Well, sort of. It seems Shred has decided he's too good for JKR, and has started his own project.

JKR, however, has been canceled. Any hopes for levels, sounds, or animations will have to be organized by former JKR members, or Shred. Sorry to anyone who was fond of our organized group's effort.

I will be leaving JK editing. I know that probably means nothing to you, and that's fine. I did a lot of non-showcased work with several different authors, and didn't release a lot of stuff, [None at massassi] so not many of you would know much about my editing life. I've retired due to the community's shift towards personalization of work, and the overall political [#JK #Nar] atmosphere the editing community has taken on.

I will be posting on this thread in a few days and upload ALL of the models I've ever done in .obj form for anyone's free use, with credit.

So anyway, where will I go now? I'm thinking about HL2 editing, or perhaps just freelance modeling. I'm hoping to master lightwave in the next few months of not adminning/worrying about JK projects.

JediKirby

:(
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-03-10, 2:53 PM #11
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort]What?! A mod for a game older than time itself that was being worked on by two teenagers is being canceled? USA Today didn't mention anything about this![/QUOTE]
Hahaha. That's funny. I bet USA Today won't mention anything when your ****ty high-school band breaks up either.
>>untie shoes
2006-03-10, 2:54 PM #12
Originally posted by Bill:
Hahaha. That's funny. I bet USA Today won't mention anything when your ****ty high-school band breaks up either.

OHH SNAAAP
2006-03-10, 3:02 PM #13
Originally posted by Bill:

Hahahaha.

If you ever go gay....

look vinny up. You'd make a good couple.
2006-03-10, 3:09 PM #14
:|
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-03-10, 3:10 PM #15
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO[.VADER]
I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS!

DAMN YOU SHRED!!!!!111
2006-03-10, 3:11 PM #16
Of course, we all realize that if we were a bit nicer this would not be an issue, yes?
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-03-10, 3:12 PM #17
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO[.VADER]
I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS!

DAMN YOU SHRED!!!!!111

Shred's still releasing his own models. He just abandoned JKR and made his own version. JKE, or whatever. Same concept, just devoid of a team.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-10, 3:43 PM #18
I remember pulling the plug on the Legacy of Yun series. Wasn't a fun feeling. Part of me still wants to go and finish the series, but it's physically impossible now.

Anyway, I said all that to say: I know how you must feel.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-03-10, 3:46 PM #19
xone009: hmph
xone009: I don't want to brush edit.
xone009: There's no personal tight knit communities for brush engines.
xone009: Just one-timer level editors that never get their stuff played anyway.
xone009: 3 or 4 comments on AMAZING maps
xone009: And no servers dedicated to them.
xone009: It's going to be a waste of my time, no matter what I edit.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-10, 4:05 PM #20
Oddly enough, the personally "tight" communities was thanks to the Zone.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-03-10, 4:07 PM #21
I've probably started and killed more projects than 90% of people here, so I know how you are feeling Kirbs. Reminds me of me in my younger years. I'm glad to see you are staying around massassi, it would indeed be too different without you.

I'm glad you are looking to mastering lightwave and movign on to more recent engines. Maybe you should get a hold of Oblivion and mod it with me, that'd be awesome.

A giant step for a small man. :D Now hop in bed and do a barrel roll baby.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-03-10, 4:07 PM #22
It had to end one day, Kirby. At least you can move on in your life to more important things.

Too bad you made your post all regretful and people didn't take it seriously. Some funny posts though!
2006-03-10, 5:28 PM #23
You've been quite an asset to the JK editing community -- a shame it has to end.

You were also one of the inspirational figures for me (and probably others) when I was on my editing path, and I thank you much for that :)
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2006-03-10, 5:31 PM #24
omg i TOTALLY started editing b4 u so im coolerz
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-03-10, 5:44 PM #25
can the sweet talk, MeggBaby, I edited before JK was even released!
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-03-10, 5:57 PM #26
That's a shame, another fatal blow to JK (we've had many)

I can understand though, I mean, must have been taking up a lot of your life so now you have a bit more freedom. Thanks for everything you've done for Massassi and JK

Perhaps I'll see you in Duluth this summer ;)
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2006-03-10, 6:35 PM #27
Of all people, you were the last I expected to quit JK editing. You're always blaming people for hammering the nails in the coffin and now this.... :(
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-03-10, 6:59 PM #28
xone009: hmph
xone009: I don't want to brush edit.
xone009: There's no personal tight knit communities for brush engines.
xone009: Just one-timer level editors that never get their stuff played anyway.
xone009: 3 or 4 comments on AMAZING maps
xone009: And no servers dedicated to them.
xone009: It's going to be a waste of my time, no matter what I edit.

That situation is what we call "not trying hard enough," or, "not being good enough," or, "making gross assumptions about every other game on the market because the competition for a few is too daunting."
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-03-10, 7:06 PM #29
Please don't be a dick to Shred18. It's not like he was entitled to stay around with whatever you were working on with him, and it's not like he abandoned you for another team or something, he's doing this project by *himself*.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2006-03-10, 7:08 PM #30
Originally posted by Dark__Knight:
Please don't be a dick to Shred18. It's not like he was entitled to stay around with whatever you were working on with him, and it's not like he abandoned you for another team or something, he's doing this project by *himself*.

Yes. Listen to this guy. Afterall Shred didn't screw you over, he just abandoned you. :rolleyes:
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-03-10, 7:53 PM #31
Originally posted by Dark__Knight:

I think he was showing commendable restraint actually... :p
2006-03-10, 8:15 PM #32
When I released Bespin Towers for Jedi Outcast, I had no difficulty finding public servers running the map, it was also the ONLY custom map in use in ladder matches for almost a year.

It's not that hard to get your maps played, if you're good.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-03-10, 8:41 PM #33
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
']I think he was showing commendable restraint actually... :p

Thrawn knows me well.
>.> <.<
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-10, 8:44 PM #34
Originally posted by ORJ_JoS:
Of all people, you were the last I expected to quit JK editing. You're always blaming people for hammering the nails in the coffin and now this.... :(

Well, it's simply because I was the only one still rooting for JK editing ITSELF. Others seem to be more interested in having personal attachments to their mods, and inserting their ego into their work. Seriously passionate editors wouldn't opt out of a well established project with several people on the team simply because they felt they did too much of the work. That's ego, and annoying. Too much of JK editing doesn't get accomplished simply because people feel their level has to tailor to the "leet concorz." JK editing is at a halt, not because JK or it's resources have failed, but because the people modding for it, now adays, aren't the people I started modding with.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-10, 9:37 PM #35
Originally posted by Jepman:
Yes. Listen to this guy. Afterall Shred didn't screw you over, he just abandoned you. :rolleyes:
:rolleyes:

First off, Shred was working on a skin pack before he was working on JKR.

Second, JKR has been at a total standstill, by all accounts, practically since last year. Shred was the only person actively working on it from what I've seen.

Third, the level team never got off the ground for several reasons I won't go into because I already pointed them out to Kirby when it still mattered. The level team has produced nothing except some exquisite concept art.

And finally: While Kirby was making gun models, Shred was the one texturing them and getting them to work in JK. This is in addition to his skinning and texturing chores, and the fact that nobody else was really doing anything. JKR, at the rate it was going, was going to be a Shred skin pack anyway -- only credited to Kirby.
I'm sorry, but I'd be pretty damn miffed about it too. So would you, Jepman. So would anybody. I'm not saying Kirby is the only person to blame, but Shred definitely isn't.
2006-03-10, 9:41 PM #36
But there's the entire part where shred NEVER spoke to me about his problem. I wasn't looking to get credit for other people's work. I'd grown away from the project and was going to be leaving the scene sometime soon ANYWAY. Had shred spoke to me, I'd have realized his situation, and fixed it. The way he's characterizing it, I'm trying to gain credit for everyone elses work, and whatnot. That isn't the case at all, but no one discovered that because no one TOLD ME it was a concept. That's why I'm t'd off.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-10, 9:48 PM #37
Yeah, and now you're trying to spin it so you seem like an innocent victim here. Like Shred is being unreasonable by pulling out of a project that you just admitted to have very little interest in?

Shred's making his models. I've talked to halucid and he said he was interested in remaking NSLT at the very least. So it looks like we'll have JKR after all, it'll just take a couple extra downloads to get it.
2006-03-10, 9:53 PM #38
What the **** Jon`C? I'm telling you, no one TOLD me they had any problems. I STARTED the project with intent on working on it. I'm not blaming shred for feeling the way he does, I'm blaming him for not telling me. I would have probably backed out of JKR soon here ANYWAY, because my models weren't usable and I wasn't going to be able to work on anything for a while, if ever.

If Shred had simply SPOKE to me before ripping everything to pieces, this wouldn't be a hooplah of angry faces and pointed fingers. Instead, I've got people like you thinking I attempted to get away with something.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-03-10, 9:58 PM #39
Aren't you trying to get away with something? Essentially this entire thread was created to paint Shred like the archvillain who killed the JKR project. News flash: You're the one who cancelled it.

And like I said, Shred is still making his skins and we'll probably see level remakes from halucid and others. Really the only person here who isn't working on JKR anymore is you.
2006-03-10, 10:00 PM #40
But there's the entire part where shred NEVER spoke to me about his problem. I wasn't looking to get credit for other people's work. I'd grown away from the project and was going to be leaving the scene sometime soon ANYWAY. Had shred spoke to me, I'd have realized his situation, and fixed it. The way he's characterizing it, I'm trying to gain credit for everyone elses work, and whatnot. That isn't the case at all, but no one discovered that because no one TOLD ME it was a concept. That's why I'm t'd off.

That's understandable. (not sarcastic, more in second paragraph)

However, and this is none of my business, but... it's none of my business. It's no one's business. This is an issue between you and Shred. It was unnecessary and uncalled for, for you to make your disagreements a public matter, even if you did try to hide it behind an "announcement" that JKR was shutting down. If announcing the mod's shutdown had been your primary motivation, you would have said something more along the lines of "The mod is shutting down, but Shred is continuing his work," not "The mod is shutting down because Shred is a selfish ******* who abandoned us to make his own mod." The difference is subtle, but important. It means that keeping us informed was not your motivation, but publically trying to discredit Shred was.

THAT BEING SAID

Regardless of wether or not Shred's decision was justified, he is at fault for not informing you about his concerns earlier. You have every right to be pissed off about that, and I completely understand why you would be. Hell, I think just about anyone would. I know I would be.

But two wrongs don't make a right; Again, it doesn't justify you turning it to the public in an effort to make him look bad. Instead of causing drama and stirring up controversy, you could have taken the initiative and talked to him about the issue, and at least come to an understanding, if not an agreement. For that, you are at fault.

So now that it's everyone's fault, let's say you two work it out from here, all polite and civil-like.

And I wish you luck with whatever direction you end up taking, editting-wise. Though I certainly disagreed with you on some of your design choices (notably, the repeater threads, as previously mentioned), you definitely have considerable talent. Don't let it go to waste. ;)
Moo.

↑ Up to the top!