Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What religion/lack thereof are you?
What religion/lack thereof are you?
2006-03-11, 4:28 PM #1
With the amount of religious debates and evolution debates that go on here, I was just curious what kind of religious backgrounds - or not religious backgrounds - Massassians come from.

Personally, I'm an agnostic. I can't see myself being anything else. Atheism dismisses the possibility of a god, and since the existence of god can neither be proven or disproven, I can't blindly say there IS no god. And Christianity just has too many problems and inconsistencies, and is just largely unbelievable to me in the light of all of the scientific information out there.
Clarinetists, unite!

-writer of Bloodwing
(a work in progress)
2006-03-11, 4:32 PM #2
I'm very atheistic.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-03-11, 4:34 PM #3
Originally posted by GeneralRamos:
With the amount of religious debates and evolution debates that go on here, I was just curious what kind of religious backgrounds - or not religious backgrounds - Massassians come from.

Personally, I'm an agnostic. I can't see myself being anything else. Atheism dismisses the possibility of a god, and since the existence of god can neither be proven or disproven, I can't blindly say there IS no god. And Christianity just has too many problems and inconsistencies, and is just largely unbelievable to me in the light of all of the scientific information out there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athiest

Quote:
Atheism, in its broadest sense, is an absence of belief in the existence of god

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=atheist

Quote:
one who believes that there is no deity

I hate the whole atheist/agnostic thing. Do you believe in a funny man who hides in the clouds: y/n. If no = atheist. If yes = go on to question 2: Do you believe in miracles? Where ya from? You sexy thing

You can't believe "I dunno". You can believe there is no god, because of lack of evidence, but be willing to change positions otherwise. You can't be perfectly 50/50.
2006-03-11, 4:38 PM #4
i voted moderate christian. but really i don't let religion define who i am.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2006-03-11, 4:40 PM #5
Agnostic is a way of saying "I don't believe there is a god, but in case there is, I don't want to piss him off by saying there isn't one. I don't practice any religion, but once again, just in case, I'll be able to say 'hey, I never denounced you!' and they'll still let me into heaven."

Way to be sure of yourself.
>>untie shoes
2006-03-11, 4:42 PM #6
Moderate Christian. I think Jesus was a cool guy, with great morals and insight, and I try to follow the teachings of his that rub me the right way. Whether or not he was the son of God, I don't really care.
2006-03-11, 4:45 PM #7
I agree with nearly all of the teachings of Jesus. I also agree with a lot of other Philosiphers. Nobody worships Aristotle, who not only died to defend his beliefs, but willingly drank poison to prove his point.
>>untie shoes
2006-03-11, 4:47 PM #8
Moderate Christian. Probably because that's the religion I grew up with.

EDIT: Also because there's no option for "Follower of Origin"
Stuff
2006-03-11, 4:48 PM #9
Also, you forgot one very important option!

[http://metalworld.t35.com/pentagram.JPG]

THOSE THAT ARE RULED BY THE DARK LORD SATAN!!

\m/
>>untie shoes
2006-03-11, 4:50 PM #10
I'm a moderate Christian, working towards becoming a full time missionary...
2006-03-11, 4:51 PM #11
Athetist. Personally, I just cannot imagine how a god can exist. It doesn't work logically for me...but that's just me.
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2006-03-11, 4:51 PM #12
Originally posted by Bill:
Nobody worships Aristotle, who not only died to defend his beliefs, but willingly drank poison to prove his point.

Oops.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-03-11, 4:51 PM #13
Moderate Christian would be the closest.
2006-03-11, 4:57 PM #14
Muslim.
2006-03-11, 4:57 PM #15
[QUOTE=Michael MacFarlane]Oops.[/QUOTE]
He didn't want people to worship him... he wanted people to learn from him.

EDIT: Oh, aye.... and another thing. I'm a moron. It was Socrates I believe.
>>untie shoes
2006-03-11, 4:58 PM #16
I don't see any "conservative Christian" option, so I voted with the fundies. :)

I think it would be good to uphold traditional Christian way of life, but I don't want to live like a hermit ignoring every (possibly) offensive thing in modern culture. For that reason, I'm not a fundamentalist, but definitely conservative - i.e., belief in truth of the scripture, belief that Jesus is the Son of God.
Historians are the most powerful and dangerous members of any society. They must be watched carefully... They can spoil everything. - Nikita Khrushchev.
Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god. - Jean Rostand.
2006-03-11, 4:58 PM #17
He didn't want people to worship him... he wanted people to learn from him.

He also didn't drink poison. :p

Edit: Now you've fixed it.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-03-11, 4:59 PM #18
Notice my edit of my last post.

I'm quite a dolt. I'm just going to leave this thread.
>>untie shoes
2006-03-11, 4:59 PM #19
"Atheism" has two meanings: A lack of belief in a god, and a belief in the lack of a god. The first one is more vague, and includes agnosticism. Since the poll has both atheism and agnosticism, it should be assumed that atheism is the belief in a lack of a god.

Agnostic is a way of saying "I don't believe there is a god, but in case there is, I don't want to piss him off by saying there isn't one. I don't practice any religion, but once again, just in case, I'll be able to say 'hey, I never denounced you!' and they'll still let me into heaven."

Way to be sure of yourself.

Agnosticism is admitting you don't know whether there's a god or not. An agnostic chooses not to belief in something without any logic or facts to back it up.
I'm just a little boy.
2006-03-11, 5:02 PM #20
Being agnostic is sitting on the fence because you don't have the cognative capacity to think using logic.
>>untie shoes
2006-03-11, 5:05 PM #21
Originally posted by kyle90:
EDIT: Also because there's no option for "Follower of Origin"

<3
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-03-11, 5:07 PM #22
Well, I saw those ships in action and pretty much converted on the spot.
Stuff
2006-03-11, 5:24 PM #23
i havent seen them yet, apart from when they were activated.
I cant wait for this season finale and the next.

Yeah anyway, I'm a very spiritual person, but reject any organised religion.

In fact, I have my own Jihad, its called "Mass Killing of the Followers of The 3 Great Books"

>.>
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-03-11, 5:33 PM #24
Quite a few of us are Jewish...
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2006-03-11, 5:43 PM #25
Originally posted by Ruthven:
i havent seen them yet, apart from when they were activated.
I cant wait for this season finale and the next.

Ruthy you are going to PISS YOURSELF when you see the season finale. No spoilers, but... holy crap.
Stuff
2006-03-11, 5:49 PM #26
My family is LDS but I'm kind of in the middle of the road right now.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-03-11, 5:54 PM #27
Catholic.
woot!
2006-03-11, 5:59 PM #28
Being agnostic is sitting on the fence because you don't have the cognative capacity to think using logic.

According to logic, we don't truly know if god exists or not. Logic favours agnosticism. If you want to consider it "sitting on the fence", that's fine, but there's certainly nothing wrong with sitting on the fence in this case.
I'm just a little boy.
2006-03-11, 6:03 PM #29
Ethical Hedonism
2006-03-11, 6:48 PM #30
Non-Denominational Christian
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-03-11, 6:53 PM #31
I'm LDS.
Life is beautiful.
2006-03-11, 6:56 PM #32
Catholic. I cannot stand Fundies. They just piss me off, and I'm around them all day at school. I'm tired of these Protestant churches making a Christian life out to be lollipops and roses, whereas my church tells it like it is and takes it straight from the Bible. But not in a fundamentalist sort of way.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-03-11, 6:58 PM #33
no Satanism option?

i am greatly disappointed
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2006-03-11, 7:19 PM #34
I don't see Scientology up there either.

Tom Cruise would be angry.
2006-03-11, 7:20 PM #35
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
no Satanism option?

i am greatly disappointed

You worship yourself?
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-03-11, 7:30 PM #36
I don't know what sort of Christian I am. My family goes to a baptist church filled with crazed bible humpers, and I've escaped to attend a Catholic mass twice. I suppose that makes me moderate?
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2006-03-11, 7:31 PM #37
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
You worship yourself?

I think that is just one version of Satanism. The one with annoying teenagers and the Satanic Bible.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-03-11, 7:41 PM #38
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
You worship yourself?

who else would i worship? (spook doesn't get the "joke")
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2006-03-11, 7:46 PM #39
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
who else would i worship? (spook doesn't get the "joke")

I thought you'd worship your penis or something.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-03-11, 7:56 PM #40
I know *I* worship DrkJedi's penis.
Stuff

↑ Up to the top!