Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Post your case and system specs!
Post your case and system specs!
2006-03-17, 10:18 PM #41
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:

EDIT: You weren't running at full AA though. That would have butchered your frame rate.

No, I was. It's was at the max setting, AA 4x, texture filtering anisotropic, and the frame-rate is good (40 fps). I think you under-estimate the power of a 370+ with a 7800GT. Oh, and the factory OC, almost DOUBLES your core speed (from about 600 mhz to over 1 ghz).
Attachment: 11029/untitled.JPG (12,763 bytes)
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2006-03-18, 12:45 AM #42
I look at that screenshot and I see MOH:AA. Post a full res one on imageshack and link it.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-03-18, 3:28 AM #43
For the love of god run at a widescreen resolution.
2006-03-18, 6:30 AM #44
The case is the bog standard thing that came with it, however the insides have been upgraded. (see attached image)

Specs
P4 2.8 @ 3.2Ghz
Motherboard - GA-8ST667-L
RAM 1gb PC3200 (Corsair Value)
6800gt @ 425Mhz Core, 1150 Mhz RAM (basically above Ultra speeds)
250 gb WD Caviar SE
80 gb WD Caviar
250 gb External Maxtor One Touch II (firewire)
Soundblaster Live!
LG DVD
Pioneer CD-RW
Antec TrueBlue 350 Watt

Cooling - Zalman Reserator Plus1 cooling both CPU and VGA card, with one case fan. (Temps CPU idle ~35C, load - 46C, GPU idle ~ 42C, load ~ 55C)

System is virtually 4 years old now, come september I'm going to start buying bits for a complete new build. Looking at either Intel Conroe or AM2, depends on how the Conroe preforms in real life (i.e. I'm not 100% believing benchmarks at IDF). Processor choice will choose motherboard for me. Graphics card will be one of the new DX10 cards, either Nvidia or ATI, depends who is best. Cooling will be with the reserator, as the new CPU will be putting out less than my P4, although the new GPU could make up the loss...will have to wait and see.

As for the case, I've virtually made my mind up in that respect,

[http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/antecp180silver.jpg]
Attachment: 11035/system.jpg (91,797 bytes)
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2006-03-18, 8:14 AM #45
You took the screen at the max frame. The average frame rate up there is 32. Anyway, the factory OC for the core is 50-100MHz. It is not at 1Ghz core. That would be faster than a GTX SLI rig. Stock for a 7800GT is 400/1000. A high manufacture OC will get it to 470/1100. It's nice to have, but it won't make that much of a difference. Also, it's possible that you forgot to change all the settings to high. It's very easy to do this as I have learned. I am running XP 64bit, and by Opteron 165 isn't OCed, but that shouldn't make a big difference in the world.
2006-03-18, 8:22 AM #46
Originally posted by KnightRider2000:
Actaully I'm ran it at MAX resolution. The only problem was my monitor did not support it, so iI took it to 12 somethin or other. I have an 7800GT with a FACTORY OVERCLOCK. Like Jepman, everything else was at max. He knows his stuff, and if you have been reading the posts lately, you'll know he was the one that helped me pick out the parts for my new PC :) .

Uh...still not looking at that great of frames. Factory overclocks don't really mean anything--you're looking at probably 25MHz on the core, and maybe 50MHz on the memory of the card. That's not that much of a performance increase.

Originally posted by Jon`C:
You shouldn't have bought it because ATI is not interested in supporting their products beyond the absolute minimum necessary to make a sale. The implications here should be obvious.

Because we all know that Linux has such a corner on the gaming computer market. ATi is a small company--much smaller than nVidia, and has been around for a lot less time. The hardcore market (cards like the x1800 etc) as you should know is a very small percentage of their overall sales. To say that they don't win any awards for linux xupport to gamers is pretty silly. Not to mention that, but their Catalyst drivers are amazingly awesome (mainly because of people who migrated from the other side, yes, I know). And my earlier comment was neither drug related nor congenital. I'm just doubting that you have a valid reason for telling Jep that he shouldn't have bought an ATi product, period.
D E A T H
2006-03-18, 8:39 AM #47
Originally posted by Yecti:
[Chenbro Gaming Bomb 2]

You win. That is a most excellent case. Unfortunately I have only the first model, which is far inferior. But it was free. I won it while bobbing for apples at a LAN party because they ran out of tournaments for prizes. But they used a SQUARE barrel for the apples. EASY.

[http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/3135/chenbrogamingbombsilver0hg.jpg]

The bezel on mine was originally orange, but I painted it nickel. Turned out very similar to this picture. I designed a new window cutout last year, and maybe sometime I'll get around to cutting it.

Specs:
Athlon XP 3000+ (Barton/400)
1 GB PC3200 RAM
Radeon 9700 @ 360/290

1x WD75GD Raptor (10K RPM)
1x 120 GB WD Caviar (7.2K RPM)
1x 300 GB Maxtor SATA (7.2K RPM)
1x 200 GB Seagate IDE (7.2K RPM)
Total storage space according to inflated specs: 695 GB
Actual storage space: 645.2 GB

Panasonic SA-XR55 reciever powering Paradigm Titans
Beyerdynamic DT-880 headphones powered by the actually good headphone out of that reciever
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-03-18, 8:50 AM #48
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Uh...still not looking at that great of frames. Factory overclocks don't really mean anything--you're looking at probably 25MHz on the core, and maybe 50MHz on the memory of the card. That's not that much of a performance increase.[/QUOTE]

Ummm, try about 400 mhz increase in core clock. Stock th card is about 600 mhz, now it's over 1000 mhz.

-G Man
2006-03-18, 9:15 AM #49
Ummm, try about 400 mhz increase in core clock. Stock th card is about 600 mhz, now it's over 1000 mhz.

Knight 400mhz VPU clock and 1000mhz Memory core clock increase is impossible with factory cooling systems. Your card wore overheat well before that.

Either you are bull****ing, or aren't grasping this whole overclocking business. :p
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-03-18, 9:33 AM #50
Originally posted by Jepman:
Knight 400mhz VPU clock and 1000mhz Memory core clock increase is impossible with factory cooling systems. Your card wore overheat well before that.

Either you are bull****ing, or aren't grasping this whole overclocking business. :p

No, I checked the specs on new egg. All other 7800gt cards has a core clock of about 600 mhz, and the XFX overclocked edition took it up to 1 ghz.

-G Man
2006-03-18, 9:34 AM #51

400Mhz increase in the core clock is impossible that is doubling the standard core clock which I've never even seen done on world record attempts.

Rbots
2006-03-18, 9:36 AM #52
[QUOTE=James Bond]400Mhz increase in the core clock is impossible that is doubling the standard core clock which I've never even seen done on world record attempts.[/QUOTE]

Then the newegg specs must of been wrong. Like I said, I am going by the spec charts on newegg, of course they took the XFX version of their site about 3 weeks ago.

-G Man
2006-03-18, 9:38 AM #53
No, I checked the specs on new egg. All other 7800gt cards has a core clock of about 600 mhz, and the XFX overclocked edition took it up to 1 ghz.

link please.

Rbots
2006-03-18, 9:40 AM #54
Wait a minute. I see what happened. Checking through my records of specs, I see Newegg MADE A MISTAKE!!! The used to have the XFX on the site with a core clock of 1 ghz, but in fact it was the MEMORY CLOCK they were talking about. Now I know why they took it off, must of been misinformed about specs or something. Ok, thanks for the clarification guys.

-G Man
2006-03-18, 9:44 AM #55
Yeh, good thing you got enlightened, that was some serious embarassement you were headed into :p
2006-03-18, 10:12 AM #56

You were looking at the memory. First, the core clock is at 400 stock, and it would be quite a feat to get it to even 600. Second, no card has ever gotten to 1Ghz core clock even on phase change. You are wrong. You core is running at 500 at the very most. 470 most likely.

EDIT: http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/listConfigurations.jspa?seriesId=12035&productId=56410

Do you see the 450 Mhz core clock? You. Are. Wrong. Next time you correct people who know more about the subject than you do try making sure of your self. :rolleyes:

EDIT 2: I see you already got it straightened out never mind.
2006-03-18, 10:18 AM #57
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
You were looking at the memory. First, the core clock is at 400 stock, and it would be quite a feat to get it to even 600. Second, no card has ever gotten to 1Ghz core clock even on phase change. You are wrong. You core is running at 500 at the very most. 470 most likely.

EDIT: http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/listConfigurations.jspa?seriesId=12035&productId=56410

Do you see the 450 Mhz core clock? You. Are. Wrong. Next time you correct people who know more about the subject than you do try making sure of your self. :rolleyes:

EDIT 2: I see you already got it straightened out never mind.

I lol'ed.
2006-03-19, 8:05 PM #58
Well, I have no picutres of my case on hand; it's not all that good to look at anyway; I hardly spent any money on it, (some $20US, I believe) since I only cared that it had the places to put what I had to put in. I tossed the stock power supply anyway, and I don't care for those silly LED lights; they're a sickness, you see.

At any rate, the real important things that go into it:
  • Motherboard: Soyo CK8 Dragon plus - nForce 3 150 chipset, socket 754, 3 DIMM slots, 1x AGP 8x, 6x PCI. The motherboard isn't all that good, but it was the only decently-priced Athlon64 board when I built the machine, about two years ago. Still cost me some $140US. And it's horrible for overclocking.
  • Processor: AMD Athlon64 2800+ - Clawhammer 130nm core, 512KB L2 cache, stock speed of 1800MHz, HyperTransport speed of 1600MHz. I bought it with the intent to overclock it. Sadly, with the motherboard, the best I can handle well is an overclock to 2000MHz. It's perfectly stable there, though.
  • RAM: 1024MB (1GB) PC3200 SDRAM. Since my computer's socket 754, no dual-channel support, though it is a pair of DIMMs. They're timed at 3-3-3-7, and overclocked with the processor to an effective 444MHz.
  • Video Card: ATi Radeon X800XT, AGP w/256MB video RAM. I've not overclocked this part, though I actually may at a later point; I got it inexpensively, and it's been quite good, though I've had some regrets about the lack of SM 3.0 support.
  • Sound Card: (empty) I had been using an Audigy 2 ZS, though in reality, it was "borrowed." However, I had to give it back. Currently using integrated until I can figure out a way to justify the purchase an X-Fi Xtreme music, or for that matter, a newer pair of speakers wher the card would actually make a difference.
  • Hard Drive: Hitachi Deskstar, PATA-133 7200RPM, 90GB. It was the best deal I could find. Along with WD and Seagate, Hitachi is one of the three brands I'd actually trust; I stay away from Maxtor, given some of the spotty performance I've experienced with those drives, though none have actually outright failed me.
  • Optical Drives: 52x32x52-speed CD-RW, 16x speed DVD-ROM. Little much to say; they're black, like the case itself. I have no reason to burn DVDs, since I do my file transfers via my 2GB USB stick anyway.
  • Operating System: Two of them, actually, and both require explanation:
    • First Boot: Windows Milenium Edition. Yes, I can hear you go "ugh." However, it is the only Win 4.x OS I had on hand that could do hot-swappable USB; 98SE, at least for me, doesn't. And over the years, I've grown used to the instability; I get significantly higher framerates here, even though a number of things don't run. I also use this to play DOS games without ANY form of emulation.
    • Second Boot: Windows XP professional, x64 edition. Yes, a strange counter to ME. Unfortunately, it's a trial, and it won't quite last until the release of Vista. Yes, if you were wondering, I'm used to PC problems. I never call tech support.

[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Because we all know that Linux has such a corner on the gaming computer market. ATi is a small company--much smaller than nVidia, and has been around for a lot less time. The hardcore market (cards like the x1800 etc) as you should know is a very small percentage of their overall sales. To say that they don't win any awards for linux xupport to gamers is pretty silly. Not to mention that, but their Catalyst drivers are amazingly awesome (mainly because of people who migrated from the other side, yes, I know). And my earlier comment was neither drug related nor congenital. I'm just doubting that you have a valid reason for telling Jep that he shouldn't have bought an ATi product, period.[/QUOTE]
Actually, you're correct on the account about Linux and gaming, (note that ATi does seem to expect that you'd get open source drivers to run in Linux, and doesn't recommend using their own) but wrong on the age account when it comes to ATi; nVidia, actually, is technically the "new kid on the block," having not existed until 1993. ATi's been around since 1985. Likewise, they are close to the same size; ATi has 2,500 employees, to around 3,000 for nVidia. (About nVidia and About ATi)

Wait a minute. I see what happened. Checking through my records of specs, I see Newegg MADE A MISTAKE!!! The used to have the XFX on the site with a core clock of 1 ghz, but in fact it was the MEMORY CLOCK they were talking about. Now I know why they took it off, must of been misinformed about specs or something. Ok, thanks for the clarification guys.

I was about to mention that, until I saw this post of yours. Indeed, also keep in mind the "effective" DDR speeds; 600MHz of GDDR3 actually runs at 1200MHz, and MOST of the time, people simply refer to their "effective" speeds, since you can best compare them to SDR memory, even though such is no longer around.
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2006-03-19, 8:39 PM #59
nottheking--your posts are the DEFINITION of tl;dr. Seriously, be more concise.

But from what I gleaned, I've gotta tell you--I was being sarcastic about linux. It doesn't corner the game market in any form or fashion. Also, while nVidia may technically be "newer", it went after the market of gaming GPUs with a passion far earlier than ATi, which started around 1997.
D E A T H
2006-03-19, 10:00 PM #60
Right now: Crap in a box.

Upcoming:
Case: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811196019
Specs-
ASUS A8N-VM Socket 939 NVIDIA GeForce 6100
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB
ChainTech Geforce 6600GT 128MB
Ultra 500 Watt Black Chrome PSU
Corsair XMS DDR400 2x 1gig sticks
Sony Black IDE DVD Drive
NEC Black IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L080P0 80GB
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L160P0 160GB
LINKSKEY 19-in-1 Black Card Reader
NEC Black 19" 12ms LCD Monitor
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2006-03-21, 12:32 PM #61
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]nottheking--your posts are the DEFINITION of tl;dr. Seriously, be more concise.

But from what I gleaned, I've gotta tell you--I was being sarcastic about linux. It doesn't corner the game market in any form or fashion. Also, while nVidia may technically be "newer", it went after the market of gaming GPUs with a passion far earlier than ATi, which started around 1997.[/QUOTE]
I did recognize that what you said was hopelessly obvious sarcasm; that's why I said you were correct on it. The only serious Linux game I've seen in the past few years was Unreal Tournament 2004...

And really, though most people think my posts huge, it's just that I actually repond to more than one person at once. The sheer size tends to intimidate people, even though if they bothered to simply glance, they'd see that they could be SPECIFIC about what they skip.

And you are correct about the gaming cards; nVidia did capture the enthusiast market first, wresting control from 3dfx, (which, technically, was there before anyone else) and later acquired their IP, including SLI tech.
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2006-03-21, 2:32 PM #62
My vanilla PC:

Windows XP Home Edition
P4 @ 2.85Ghz (stock 2.6Ghz)
Intel 865PERL Mobo
1024MB of PC3200 (FSB @ 219Mhz)
Powercolor 9800 Pro @ 455/465 (stock 380/340)
Western Digital 160GB HDD /w 8MB Cache
Soundblaster Audigy 2 Value
LG 52x32x52 CDRW Writer
LG 32x DVD-ROM

My case is as plain as you can get. Heck, I don't even have the side panels on. ;)
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;

↑ Up to the top!