Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → To do with Science, And light,
To do with Science, And light,
2006-03-22, 11:21 AM #41
uhhh................. ok?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-22, 11:23 AM #42
Originally posted by HCF_Duke:
I looked at Jon's response and didn't mention anything on what I learned from meteorology(maybe I didn't read it carefully enough). If I remeber correctly, clouds don't fall due to the opposite force called the Pressure Gradient Force. PGF

Clouds dont fall because when they do fall we just rename them Fog and pretend nothing ever happened.

o.0
2006-03-22, 12:29 PM #43
I usually call falling clouds rain or snow.
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-03-22, 1:16 PM #44
any of you curious about the "Black Body" thing (ie if something absorbed all inciddent light) should read this first...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_body

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colour

as for how something "perfectly" black would appear, thats interesting and I'm not entirely sure about it.

"Normal" black objects we see because they aren't perfectly black (I assume) because in light they also reflect part of the light inciddent on them. If you could make something that is perfectly black and had no reflections from its surface, I guess it probably would be harder to see.

This is assuming it doesn't get very hot ( <700C)

The problem with this though is the eye itself, it "sees" a lot more than just the object itself, it would infer its existance through the other objects nearby, much like a Black Hole is inferred through the gravitational Lensing effect.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2006-03-22, 1:24 PM #45
i suggest you guys/(gals....) watch What the Bleep do We Know - brain twister.cool.
Pie.
2006-03-22, 4:02 PM #46
Originally posted by Nitropenguin:
i suggest you guys/(gals....) watch What the Bleep do We Know - brain twister.cool.

No. Hell no. It's just one big advertisement for new-age bull**** covered up with a thin layer of "science". Which makes it worse because they're trying to pass it off as real. I hated that movie.

EDIT: If you want to watch something about real physics that will really blow your mind, you can watch "The Elegant Universe" online for free.
Stuff
2006-03-22, 5:05 PM #47
kyle, none of the links work for me. site says it could be because of high demand :( :( :(

never known high demand to lead to a 'page could not be displayed' :(
2006-03-22, 5:20 PM #48
PBS? High demand? Does not compute.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-22, 5:46 PM #49
That's weird, they work fine for me... well other than whenever I close it it crashes Firefox (but then again, what doesn't crash FF?).

I remember having to go through some horrendously complex series of steps in order for quicktime to play embedded mp3s in websites; maybe it's the same for video.
Stuff

↑ Up to the top!