Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Incident Report
Incident Report
2006-03-23, 7:26 AM #1
*the short version:
Yesterday, i got roughed up by a teacher at my school.
i'm pretty close to taking legal action, aka, have Barry Ward arrested for assult and the poliece force investigated here at my school.

Incident Report (long verson):

Yesterday March 21, at around 3:00 I, Elana Billings dropped my boyfriend off at class (drama workshop). Normally, this involves, and yesterday day it involved a hug, and a few short kisses, I Love You, and then byes. Yesterday, Mr. Newberry and Barry Ward witnessed this and right after a kiss, Barry Ward said, “I cant believe you swapping spit in front of the teachers”. And he started chuckling about it and my boyfriend went inside the class. I also went on my way. Then he said something else to me as I rounded the corner with the effect of: “no really, I cant believe that in front of the professors.” And since he was chuckling about it, I floppily said, “it’s not like you haven’t seen it before”.
And so I thought everything was over.

Today, March 22 when chapel got out, Barry Ward came up to me in the middle of the courtyard. He began talking to me in a joking manner about what happened the day before saying things like, “we have rules against PDA (personal display’s of affection) and you shouldn’t be doing that sort of thing.” Now, I don’t know this man, he has never been my teacher and all contact with him has been him joking around, so having no other experience with him I replied to him in this way: “Sir, I don’t know who you are, I’ve never had a class with you, I am an adult, and you will not tell me how to run my life.” At this point I felt like he was singling me out on an issue that had already been talked about and was dead. I felt like that if he wanted to reprimand me for a PDA that he would need to do it in an official way at the time of the occurrence. To bring up the issue in the middle of a public place made me feel like he didn’t care about the rules, and that he didn’t have any respect for the way I chose to live my life.

Barry Ward did not like my response, and he responded, “We’ll need to go talk to Dean Hartzog. Do we need to talk to Dean Hartzog?”
Me: “No we don’t, however, you can not tell me how to run my life”
Barry Ward: “lets go talk to Dean Hartzog”

And he begins walking towards the student center, so I follow.
He stops by Teresa Sims office and points at me telling her something to the effect of: “This young lady has a problem with PDA’s, exedra.” Teresa Sims begins to laugh, and he then marches on to Dean Hartzog’s office. This made me feel like he was parading me around, using a form of public humiliation to make me change my ways and yield to him.

Barry Ward marched on, but Dean Hartzog was not in his office at the time, so he parades to the next best person, Stacy Mason.

Barry Ward marches into Stacy Masons office, interrupts her and Chief Weisner’s conversation with out batting an eye. And starts rattling off to Stacy Mason about my need to understand that SMC has rules about PDA’s and would not even listen when I tried to defend my actions or myself. After he was finished talking without listening he tried to exit the room. I was fed up with this man at this point and would not allow him to leave, physically blocking, with out touching him, from getting to the door. I did this because I was fed up with him, I did not want him to leave with out telling me why he was singling me out, or why he was parading me around, and I did not want him to leave with out listening to my side of the original argument over a PDA from the day before.

Suddenly, he grabbed my shirt with both hands at my collar bones and physically pushed me out the door. At this point I had no idea what was going on, and once he pushed me out the door against the wall I started yelling at the top of my lungs for help. This problly startled him and he released his hands off of me. Then chief Weisner got in my face, yelled at me because I, “wasn’t under control, and was disturbing the college”. He acted like he was about to forcibly put his hands on me, and I yelled at him not too. He told me that he would arrest me if I did not stop, he even pulled out his handcuffs.

Fearing going to jail, I de-escalated the conflict by walking back into Stacy Mason’s office with Chief Weisner, he yelled at me some more about how if “I didn’t like the rules that I could leave the college, or be thrown out for disturbing the peace and not following the rules (he was referring to the PDA). Chief Weisner then left.

After calming down, Stacy Mason took my cell phone number and said that thing would go to Dean Hartzog from there, because events were out of her hands.

I went to go calm down some more, called a few people for advice. I was going to get some food and go to class when I saw that Dean Hartzog was back into his office, and I decided to talk to him. He advised me to *avoid Barry Ward and Chief Weisner like the plague*, and to write this report.

___________________*my sig and date, this was given to the dean of students, who i am going to see if he will handle this first.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2006-03-23, 7:38 AM #2
Are you sure posting this on the Internet before it's been resolved is an entirely sensible idea?
2006-03-23, 7:43 AM #3
no, i'm just really pissed off and i cant tell people at the school about it, i realise that this is the internet, but i'm just pissed off and want to vent.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2006-03-23, 7:52 AM #4
What can I say? Fascist pigs!!!
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-03-23, 7:56 AM #5
I don't think there's anything that he could be arrested for. You filed a complaint with the Dean, that's probably as far as it will go. For now, do what the Dean said and avoid them. He'll probably talk to them to get "their side" of the story, which I predict will be quite different from yours. Brace yourself.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-03-23, 7:58 AM #6
well he assalted me, and the poliece officer tried to arrest me instead of help me while i was being assalted. (to lunch)
2006-03-23, 8:04 AM #7
you know this just strikes me as odd. the teacher pushed you around and yet the police says -you're- disturbing the college?

I guess that's how america works, you're just another rebellious youth trying to face authority :rolleyes:
"NAILFACE" - spe
2006-03-23, 8:32 AM #8
Originally posted by Seb:
you know this just strikes me as odd. the teacher pushed you around and yet the police says -you're- disturbing the college?

i have no explination for it, it was completly uncalled for and random and weird. but i'm not lying, and yes this is just my perspective, so there it sits. even the dean was like, this doesent add up, but i hear what your saying an i'm gonna talk to all of them and find out what went on. but right now there isant an answer to that, or to why he stoped and talked to me in the first place yestarday.
2006-03-23, 9:13 AM #9
Was he part of the actual city police department, or university police?
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-03-23, 9:35 AM #10
[QUOTE=Michael MacFarlane]Was he part of the actual city police department, or university police?[/QUOTE]
that's iffy, he was the chief of campus poliece, and recently our poliece department has re-structured itself to be a unit of the regular poliece force, but i dont know about the detales about the people who work for them.
2006-03-23, 10:24 AM #11
The point of the story was you were violating the rules, yet you hide your actions by using their faults as your tool. Yes they were wrong, but like every other shallow teenager (I'm sorry - ADULT), you feel thats not the issue, as its the bigger thing.

They were wrong to touch you like that, but when you're on their campus, you must respect their rules. At my campus, you can't smoke at certain area's. It's my life, can't I do what I want? No.

I guess some people haven't grown up yet.
2006-03-23, 10:30 AM #12
What the hell kind of school has a rule against kissing?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-23, 10:40 AM #13
Originally posted by Freelancer:
What the hell kind of school has a rule against kissing?

Our school has the same thing going on, but the teachers and VPs (at least one of the VPs. He's kickass. He rocked out to Judas Priest with me and a couple guys once >_> ) don't care.

Still though, if you know the rules, you're expected to follow them. Rules are rules :|
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-03-23, 11:00 AM #14
I just meant that he'll say that he was moving you out of the doorway you were blocking.

But yeah, it's going to hit the fan pretty soon.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-03-23, 11:22 AM #15
Originally posted by Demon_Nightmare:
The point of the story was you were violating the rules, yet you hide your actions by using their faults as your tool. Yes they were wrong, but like every other shallow teenager (I'm sorry - ADULT), you feel thats not the issue, as its the bigger thing.

They were wrong to touch you like that, but when you're on their campus, you must respect their rules. At my campus, you can't smoke at certain area's. It's my life, can't I do what I want? No.

I guess some people haven't grown up yet.

That doesn't give this professor a free pass. He's still guilty of assault, which is far more serious than anything she did.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2006-03-23, 11:23 AM #16
[QUOTE=Michael MacFarlane]That doesn't give this professor a free pass. He's still guilty of assault, which is far more serious than anything she did.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-03-23, 11:29 AM #17
exaggerate so he gets a harsh punishment
2006-03-23, 11:30 AM #18
1) Yes I said they had faults too
2) She blocked the door, the argument could stand if worse comes to worse that he felt threatened by her blocking the door *Which she shouldn't have done in the first place*
3) This is her perspective. It could be completely blown out of proportion (sorry Elana). How many times have you seen something happen, but then when you hear the story it's 10x worse then it really was? It happens all the time
4) The reason I doubt the severity of the push is that her story bodes the typical "I've been violated", yet ignoring the fact she broke a rule and found nothing wrong as the attitude 'It's my life, I'll do what I want' presents itself.

I'm not saying the rule's not stupid or anything else, or they had a right to push her. However, she presents herself as a typical insecure person looking to get positive reinforcement on a forum because of her 'horror' story. She completely covers the fact that she did break the rule, wasn't taking the lecture but instead indirectly demanding to be treated like an equal/adult *WHICH IN THIS SITUATION SHE SHOULD NOT HAVE THIS ATTITUDE*, and makes the situation seem like it's 100% their fault.

Sorry, seen too many times this happening, and I'm tired of this generation *which I'm part of* stating that everytime something happens against them, that it's the system at fault and not their own actions.
2006-03-23, 11:32 AM #19
You're such a wifebeater.
2006-03-23, 11:34 AM #20
Yeah, Demon_Nightmare sounds like the type of person who's going to be abusive to his wife and children and maybe girls Elana's age when he gets a little older.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-23, 11:43 AM #21
Yeah, ok. I'm a wifebeater for arguing against a girl. At least I'm not a p***y and afraid to argue with another woman. Grow some balls.
2006-03-23, 11:43 AM #22
Did anyone else witness this? Your word against a cop and a teacher isn't much.
2006-03-23, 11:46 AM #23
Originally posted by Demon_Nightmare:
Yeah, ok. I'm a wifebeater for arguing against a girl.

Yeah, it's like that's totally what I said.
2006-03-23, 11:49 AM #24
It is.
Think while it's still legal.
2006-03-23, 11:51 AM #25
Yeah, like, totally.
2006-03-23, 12:04 PM #26
look, there is no rule aginst kissing. the dean said this to me, and from the hand book i quote, "College residence halls are not appropriate places for secual activity or solicitation. Excessive displays of affection are not appropriate for public areas, including residence hall lobbies and other student gathering places." Ambuguious language whitch can be interpreted in many ways yes. The only teacher, or person of athority who thinks kissing is apart of this rule aparently is Berry Ward.

I am not being punished for this anyway. his behavior is the inapproiate behivor in that he singled me out on a closed issue, paraded me around, and when he dident get his way of "setting me strait" through a higher athroity than himself tried to run out of the room in a situation he created. He chose to assalt me, and he chose not to listen, he chose to single me out, he chose to persue the closed issue.
2006-03-23, 12:05 PM #27
What the hell did you expect the man to do if you were blocking his way?

I mean seriously.
2006-03-23, 12:08 PM #28
Anyone calling a kiss an excessive display of affection is mental.
2006-03-23, 12:16 PM #29
Yeah, I kind of agree with Rob. If he was looking to leave, and you were blocking the way, he had some right to physically displace you. I don't know how violent said displacement was, but he had some right to do it. Doesn't change the silliness of the entire situation, but try to keep that in mind.

Free--you do realize you just called a man a wife-beater, someone who would prey on those weaker than himself. FGR was joking. Seriously, step the **** off.
D E A T H
2006-03-23, 12:17 PM #30
[quote=IRG SithLord]Anyone calling a kiss an excessive display of affection is mental.[/quote]

It isn't?

If a random stranger'd come up to you and French kiss you, wouldn't you think of it as an excessive display of affection, by chance?

But that *is* a lame rule, and people should mind their own freaking business. Mr. Ward is probably sexually insecure, so he takes it out on threatening little girls if he sees them kiss someone. Heck, sometimes I think that everyone's screwed in the States. So I should pay you people a visit.

EDIT: My only advise: move to Europe.
幻術
2006-03-23, 12:19 PM #31
Originally posted by Koobie:
If a random stranger'd come up to you and French kiss you, wouldn't you think of it as an excessive display of affection, by chance?

no, i wouldnt call that a display of affection at all. infact it was just a french kiss with a random stranger.

and no, he had no right to physically touch me in any way.
2006-03-23, 12:21 PM #32
You do know what "affection" means, right? Also, when did I ever say he had the right to touch anyone but himself (at night)?
幻術
2006-03-23, 12:27 PM #33
that was to Dj Yoshi and Rob

/

affection refers to a feeling, or emotion. some stranger randomly kissing you problly woudnt cause an emotional pull of any kind upon you; it would more likely to cause you to go "what are you doing?", and the feeling of confustion
2006-03-23, 12:32 PM #34
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Yeah, I kind of agree with Rob. If he was looking to leave, and you were blocking the way, he had some right to physically displace you. I don't know how violent said displacement was, but he had some right to do it. Doesn't change the silliness of the entire situation, but try to keep that in mind.

Free--you do realize you just called a man a wife-beater, someone who would prey on those weaker than himself. FGR was joking. Seriously, step the **** off.[/QUOTE]

This coming fomr the same person who called me a rapist-- yeah whatever dude. :rolleyes:
2006-03-23, 12:32 PM #35
He did if you were blocking his way. As long as he didn't harm you, and it was completely nonsexual, he is an authority figure at that school.

And I never called you a rapist Free.
D E A T H
2006-03-23, 12:33 PM #36
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]He did if you were blocking his way. As long as he didn't harm you, and it was completely nonsexual, he is an authority figure at that school.[/QUOTE]
no, that is assalt.
2006-03-23, 12:35 PM #37
Originally posted by Rob:
What the hell did you expect the man to do if you were blocking his way?

I mean seriously.

...Ask her (nicely) to move while moving to squeeze out the side of the doorway? Sorry, I must've missed the memo where it's ok to grab and shove people just to get out a door.

It could be argued that the guy stalked Elana, depending on if it was just coincidence he was in the same place as her or if he was actually there because of her. Attempt to justify a false rule can not be an excuse.

Considering the obsessive nature the jerk was giving off, Elana has the right to claim assault for him grabbing her. Teachers shouldn't be grabbing students anyways.

With Elana possibly thinking she was in actual danger, the security guard had no right to threaten with an arrest threat. He is obligated to take control of the situation and get it settled, false arrest is not a solution.

[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]He did if you were blocking his way. As long as he didn't harm you, and it was completely nonsexual, he is an authority figure at that school.[/QUOTE]

What does it matter if it was nonsexual? You can actually be charged with assault against a woman and it not be considered sexual assault. He may be an "authority" figure at the school, but that doesn't give him authority to use his opinion of a rule and then treat someone like that.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2006-03-23, 12:36 PM #38
Originally posted by Elana14:
no, that is assalt.

No. Displacing someone who's in your way is not assault. Shoving them out of the way rudely or harming them is.
D E A T H
2006-03-23, 12:40 PM #39
As I said Elana, he could've felt like you were threatening HIM by blocking the door, as he could've been unsure what you were trying to do. Whether you were going to attack him, etc.

So I highly doubt it will stand if you try taking this to a higher level. Especially when you have no witness on your side, you were in trouble and it could be seen as a scapegoat way of retaliating, etc.
2006-03-23, 12:49 PM #40
Hey Elana, I'm just wondering something about you. If you had been born 40 years earlier and some teacher was giving you a spanking for some reason, would you get all up tight and try to sue them and stuff?

↑ Up to the top!