Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → How do you cope with tragedies?
How do you cope with tragedies?
2006-03-29, 7:59 AM #1
I remember last year my grandfather died, and I was a wreck for awhile.
And then one day, during school I was like "I can't be like this."
I left school using my ultra-ninja skills, and went to go find myself. After that I day, I became more opinionated and much less of a pushover, so it was well worth having to make up class time.

:)

Again, how do you guys cope with things?
2006-03-29, 8:01 AM #2
by not caring and realising that life still goes on
2006-03-29, 8:01 AM #3
My grandfather died 2 weeks or so ago, I felt sad, but didn't let it affect things ultimately much. It's usually the same too, I may not feel much but I think of those things a lot for a long time. Oh well.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-03-29, 8:18 AM #4
By going completely numb, pale, and stumbling on, bleary eyed, looking a bit detached and lost. Slight tremor in my voice and dewy eyes if I have to explain why I look the way I do.
That's what I did on Valentine's Day when my grandmother (she was close) surprisingly passed away.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2006-03-29, 8:34 AM #5
Listening to heavy metal.
2006-03-29, 8:47 AM #6
Apathy.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-03-29, 8:48 AM #7
Suicide FTW. :em321:
2006-03-29, 9:24 AM #8
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Suicide FTW. :em321:

You're an idiot.
>>untie shoes
2006-03-29, 9:30 AM #9
*Tags thread for review for Yecti*

Ahem... aside from that, I usually just resort to escapism. Video games, movies, reading a book, that sort of thing.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-03-29, 10:27 AM #10
I play more video games than usual in an attempt to drown out whatever's bothering me. Or, if it's a personal-goals-failure type tragedy, I just aim pathetically low for a while.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-29, 10:36 AM #11
Originally posted by Freelancer:
I play more video games than usual in an attempt to drown out whatever's bothering me. Or, if it's a personal-goals-failure type tragedy, I just aim pathetically low for a while.

"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-03-29, 10:44 AM #12
I cry, then move on and try to cope with it. My best friend and band mate died in a car accident last year, I cried on my own time and then acted as moral support at the funerals and organized a remembrance show in bar where we were supposed to play the night before. Doing something for my friend, and supporting his family really made me feel good and hope it made him happy up there.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-03-29, 10:50 AM #13
I don't think I much thought about it. I still sometimes wonder how unreal it feels my grandfather, who was quite an important person for me, isn't anymore there. And it has been years since he died.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-03-29, 10:56 AM #14
Bottling it up inside and playing a lot of games. Music helps sometimes, too, as long as it's suitable.
2006-03-29, 11:12 AM #15
Originally posted by Bill:
You're an idiot.

Says the man who can't detect humor even with a smiley.
2006-03-29, 11:15 AM #16
Says the man who can't detect humor even with a smiley.

When you know people who have killed themselves over depression, it's not funny.
D E A T H
2006-03-29, 11:32 AM #17
Yeah it is. It's like comedic violence. It makes it absurd. Humor is a bit difficult to explain. If you don't get it there's not much I can do to explain it.
2006-03-29, 11:38 AM #18
That wasn't funny, that was just retarded. Well done to you sir.
nope.
2006-03-29, 11:39 AM #19
Yeah it is. It's like comedic violence. It makes it absurd. Humor is a bit difficult to explain. If you don't get it there's not much I can do to explain it.

If you're the only one to 'get it', you might rethink wether it's humorous or not.
2006-03-29, 11:50 AM #20
Attachment: 11191/spreadmyarms.jpg (57,675 bytes)
幻術
2006-03-29, 11:57 AM #21
Odd since most of you like PBF. Many of those comics involve people dieing.

But to get back to the topic (sort of), I wonder what percentage of suicides are simply the result of emotional problems. Probably a lot, but mabye not. Hard to tell.
2006-03-29, 12:12 PM #22
Denial + microwave dinners = happy Matt!
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
2006-03-29, 12:13 PM #23
I wonder what percentage of suicides are simply the result of emotional problems.

As opposed to what? Experimentation?
幻術
2006-03-29, 12:17 PM #24
Trajedy? define that!?

When my brother tried to top himself, and the police came in and sedated him, and all the times when horrible things happened, like mom being drunk and throwing stuff across the room, to me thats a trajedy of sorts.

I dont get upset, i just act shocked and forget about it when games and cigs.

REAL serious stuff, like a friend dying, or a break up, I'm more likely to shed a tear and take anywhere between 2-10 months overcoming it.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-03-29, 12:17 PM #25
Odd since most of you like PBF. Many of those comics involve people dieing.

But to get back to the topic (sort of), I wonder what percentage of suicides are simply the result of emotional problems. Probably a lot, but mabye not. Hard to tell.

1) PBF doesn't advocate suicide as the "way to cope with tragedy".

2) Why else would you commit suicide?
D E A T H
2006-03-29, 1:17 PM #26
It sucks when a grandparent dies. My maternal grandmother died of a stroke two years ago. (she had had oone before, but the last one was apparently alot worse). just remind yourself that they have gone to a better place. (or, if you are an athiest, that they are no longer suffering). So, for me, it is just haveing some time to myself.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2006-03-29, 1:56 PM #27
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]1) PBF doesn't advocate suicide as the "way to cope with tragedy".

2) Why else would you commit suicide?[/QUOTE]

Advocate? What are you talking about.
2006-03-29, 2:04 PM #28
[url]www.dictionary.com[/url]

Might be useful to you.
D E A T H
2006-03-29, 2:08 PM #29
I cope with tragedies with meditation and contemplation.

In other words, reflection.
2006-03-29, 2:11 PM #30
Advocate? What are you talking about.

In this context advocate means endorse.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-03-29, 4:11 PM #31
Yeah. The joke was that I use suicide to take care of my personal problems.

I don't know how you interpreted that to mean that I think people should commit suicide. (See previous post) This gets stupider and stupider...

Also why hasn't the :em321: smiley been fixed yet?
2006-03-29, 4:19 PM #32
This gets stupider and stupider...

Only because you keep adding to it
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-03-29, 4:43 PM #33
Cigarettes. :(

Last time I felt really sad, I bought a pack and after smoking a few cigarettes I felt a lot better. I was still sad, but it helped me focus then.
Historians are the most powerful and dangerous members of any society. They must be watched carefully... They can spoil everything. - Nikita Khrushchev.
Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god. - Jean Rostand.
2006-03-29, 5:19 PM #34
Would someone please tell exactly what I did wrong? I'm not really understand what the problem is here.
2006-03-29, 5:19 PM #35
You said something that's offensive, and the consequences insued.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-03-29, 6:20 PM #36
Would someone please tell exactly what I did wrong? I'm not really understand what the problem is here.

Suicide is not funny. I have a close friend who killed himself (older friend), and you saying you cope with your problems by killing yourself AS A JOKE, is not funny.

Just stop. Now.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-03-29, 7:05 PM #37
There are a lot of not funny things that can be joked if you have the right attitude. It would be inappropriate if it was a joke made right after some one actually had committed suicide, but it wasn't. I'm sorry if something like that recently happened to you, but you must realize that this is a public forum. If fear that this is simply a product of the typical Massassi bandwagon bash.

Ha! Proof of hypocrisy! http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?t=40376
2006-03-29, 7:09 PM #38
There are a lot of not funny things that can be joked if you have the right attitude. It would be inappropriate if it was a joke made right after some one actually had committed suicide, but it wasn't. I'm sorry if something like that recently happened to you, but you must realize that this is a public forum. If fear that this is simply a product of the typical Massassi bandwagon bash.

Ha! Proof of hypocrisy! http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?t=40376

No one who's condemning you has even posted in that thread.

And YOU need to realize it's a public forum. I don't think it's funny, and neither does anyone else on here who has posted that you're stupid for posting what you have.

But I shouldn't be surprised with you. You still have a lot of growing up to do and it shows. Maybe I should come laugh at you when a friend commits suicide. After all, it's funny isn't it?
D E A T H
2006-03-29, 7:15 PM #39
Yeah, fight scenes and stuff where it's fake is cool, espescially with unwitty onliners.

Suicide is just.. ugh.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-03-29, 7:29 PM #40
by hurting small animals
||||||||||||||||||||

↑ Up to the top!