Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Should there be a Jedi Knight IV?
Should there be a Jedi Knight IV?
2004-06-14, 1:12 PM #1
I'm not saying this series has reached its limit but after four games should a fifth be made? I wouldn't mind seeing a game about Kyle Katarn being killed and Jaden having to avenge him. his would put some closure to the series, I guess. Anyway this game probably won't come out for a while.

------------------
Long live the United States of America.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
2004-06-14, 1:17 PM #2
[ha that was dumb, I forgot to read ... again]

Yeah, I think they should just stop right now. I didn't like Jaden either, and Kyle's about a geezer by now. If anything, they should remake old ones, but like I've said before I think we should just leave that to third party mods, because an official release would no doubt screw things up

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?

[This message has been edited by Correction (edited June 14, 2004).]
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-06-14, 1:17 PM #3
I hated Jaden. He was a wuss that could host a little kids show. And he had bad voise acting.
Gimmie Kyle back, and let me save the universe again! They just need to spend 2 hrs and think up a half way decent story line. JA's STUNK! All that unlinierality was stupid too. You were able to pick the order in which you did 3 sets of 5 small boring missions. If they can't do that, then do a JK revisited then.
2004-06-14, 1:21 PM #4
i think there should be a jedi knight 3.

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|My Portfolio|My Levels
2004-06-14, 1:22 PM #5
I want a dark forces that takes place a long time ago, like sith war era (Not republic commando.) A pure FPS, none of this "force" or "sabers" or anything. I want a game that is exactly like the original dark forces, but with a new story set (Sith War)

------------------
"Just remember -- No matter how bad things get, Northern Minnesota will always be there"
-- Garrison Keeler
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-06-14, 1:22 PM #6
I wouldn't mind seeing another lightsaber/force combat based game, but if the game wasn't about Kyle Katarn, I don't see how it really deserves to be part of the Jedi Knight series (or rather Dark Forces series).

------------------
"I can hammer a nail into a piece of wood, but that doesn't make me a carpenter."

[This message has been edited by Mr. Alias (edited June 14, 2004).]
"I'm praying for mayhem, I'm praying for tidal waves, I wanna see the ground give way, I wanna watch it all go down..."
2004-06-14, 1:23 PM #7
I wanna be a Dark Jedi! Gimme gimme gimme!
Or be Darth Vader when he is hunting down the Jedi.

------------------
The sooner you realize I'm right the better off you will be.

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited June 14, 2004).]
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-06-14, 1:26 PM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Originally posted by Cazor:
</font>

There's always one pedantic one isn't there [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] - good to see that you live up to your sig though Cazor [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

-Jackpot

------------------
"lucky_jackpot is the smily god..." - gothicX
"jackpot is an evil evil man... so evil, in fact, that he's awesome." - Seb

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, but two things stand in stone,
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own"
("Ye Wearie Wayfarer" - by Adam Lindsay Gordon)
"lucky_jackpot is the smily god..." -gothicX
"Life is mostly froth and bubble, but two things stand in stone,
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own"
- "Ye Wearie Wayfarer"
|| AI Builder: compatible with both JK & MotS || My website ||
2004-06-14, 1:27 PM #9
I think we should go back to a time when Jedi Knight was the s---, and throw all this new crap in the trash where it belongs.
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2004-06-14, 1:29 PM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Master Tonberry:
I think we should go back to a time when Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II was the s---, and throw all this new crap* in the trash where it belongs.</font>

*Including but not limited to Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, or whatever the h--- it's called.
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2004-06-14, 1:31 PM #11
Yeah. Well I think it's quite clear that Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II is where it is at...yo'. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]
2004-06-14, 1:33 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lucky_jackpot:

There's always one pedantic one isn't there [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] - good to see that you live up to your sig though Cazor [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

-Jackpot

</font>

you're calling me an *** because JA is not JK3?

Ok.

------------------
2004-06-14, 1:34 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Master Tonberry:
I think we should go back to a time when Jedi Knight was the s---, and throw all this new crap in the trash where it belongs.</font>

Hear, hear!

Seriously, though, JO/JA dont hold a candle to JK's golden days. I echo fishstickz's request for an old-school DFish FPS...

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-06-14, 1:48 PM #14
The JK series should've ended with JK. JO was awful, plain and simple. It's the only game I own that I've uninstalled without finishing and never bothered to try again.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-06-14, 1:51 PM #15
I for one think they should have made Dark Forces III: Jedi Outcast before anything else...

------------------
Please send me e-mail....
2004-06-14, 2:15 PM #16
Yes, if they can introduce a new tactical and deep lightsaber complex system.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I hated Jaden. He was a wuss that could host a little kids show. And he had bad voise acting.</font>

Wow, I definitely know what you mean after finishing the game with the darkside ending. His lines sound so forced if you take the path of the darkside.
2004-06-14, 2:16 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cazor:
you're calling me an *** because JA is not JK3?

Ok.
</font>

Yea. I was wondering about that too.

------------------
Weird Shi** Happens.
Light And Darkness
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2004-06-14, 2:23 PM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
I hated Jaden. He was a wuss that could host a little kids show. And he had bad voise acting.
</font>

and thats why I always play as the girl

------------------
<S51> Give a man a sandwich and you'll feed him for an hour, teach him to make a sandwich and he'll get pissed, hit you and tell you to make him another sandwich.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-06-14, 3:15 PM #19
Quote:

</font>

Agreed.

------------------
Kill Your Idols!
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-06-14, 3:24 PM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:
The JK series should've ended with JK. JO was awful, plain and simple. It's the only game I own that I've uninstalled without finishing and never bothered to try again. </font>

Couldn't agree more.

And for Academy, it felt more like a last desperate atempt to regain our trust as fans, but that game was not any better than JO.
2004-06-14, 3:28 PM #21
The girl wasn't quite as bad, but it still was not good.
2004-06-14, 3:29 PM #22
I say they remake JK with JA graphics. FINAL. Or then not. There is something about Jk graphics that I like so very very much. JK has a great fighting system, my favorite of them all. I play JK all the time, not sure why, but it's just so damn fun.

------------------
"Ever since I was a boy, I have always kept your laws, now I want to follow you and join you in your noble cause. Jesus turned to him and said, 'Sell all you have give to the poor.' Rich young ruler hung his head, not to follow, walked instead." - Vanishing Lesson
Think while it's still legal.
2004-06-14, 3:34 PM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:
I say they remake JK with JA graphics.</font>

Or maybe they should use a new engine, as opposed to one that's about 5 years old.

------------------
"I'd rather be hated for who I am rather than loved for who I pretend to be." -Janis Joplin

[This message has been edited by Vincent Valentine (edited June 14, 2004).]
2004-06-14, 3:36 PM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:
I play JK all the time, not sure why, but it's just so damn fun.</font>

Cause JK was bad a$$ [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]
2004-06-14, 3:38 PM #25
I hope there is not another Jedi Knight game.

Dark Forces and JK were great games - amazing. The atmosphere in them was just great.

JO and JA both just left a sour expereince on me. JA especially - clever idea on paper, but crap in real life. So many short missions, just felt like a rushed game.

I just think it's the engine. It's never been my favorite engine, and so I thought JO and even JA looked somewhat cheesy graphic wise.

-DN
2004-06-14, 3:41 PM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vincent Valentine:
Or maybe they should use a new engine, as opposed to one that's about 5 years old.
</font>

Agreed. It's time for Q3 to go.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-06-14, 3:54 PM #27
I'd enjoy seeing another Shadows of the Empire game.

------------------
www.MentatMM.com (status = down :/)
Napalm Death Squad (status = alpha)
2004-06-14, 4:05 PM #28
Jedi Knight should just be allowed to die peacefully. I read somewhere awhile back that said the when things like movies or games reach trilogy standing, they usually begin to suck. Either the final item in the trilogy will suck, or the items after it will suck. Jedi Knight has reached that point. It started with Jedi Outcast. I'm sorry, but if you can't come up with a better plot idea for a game other than rehashing the plot of the last game with minor differences, don't bother. That is EXACTLY what Outcast and Academy are. Rehashes of Dark Forces II with minor differences (Weapons, Enemies, Locations, etc.). It's sad really. I know for a fact there are talented writers out there in the world. We have several resident here. If that reoccuring plot is the best LECs writters can come up with, LEC hasn't been looking hard enough for talent.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-06-14, 4:09 PM #29
I remember when JO was new and I posted a huge rant totally dissing it... and everybody thought I was being nostolgic and illogical. Now that the novelty has worn off, many of you would probobly agree with what I said.

------------------
Please send me e-mail....
2004-06-14, 5:08 PM #30
JO wasn't that bad, but it wasn't that good either. The only place where JO kicked JK's a** was saber combat.

I haven't played JA yet.

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.
2004-06-14, 5:26 PM #31
One thing I don't like about JO/JA is that the colors are just.. I dunno. JK was bold in it's colors and textures. Alot of the textures in JO reminded me more of carpeting.

The physics are also too different, in JO everything just felt like it floated. Whereas in JK it gave off the feel of having force (no pun intended) in the movement.

Cazor's got a good point, we need dark forces 3. Not romps of Jedi cliches.

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-06-14, 5:42 PM #32
Ever wonder if maybe it's the fact that LEC joined with Raven to make JO/JA that made them no match for JK and DF? It seems like it was all good until then...
>.>
<.<

I wish DF:Gold was real [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]. I would SOOOOOOOO buy that!

------------------
nytfyre m0d || f33l t3h p0w3r || t3h l0st c0gz || OMF > *

[This message has been edited by Darth Slaw (edited June 14, 2004).]
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2004-06-14, 6:22 PM #33
Raven has little to do with it I think. LEC has been going downhill for awhile now in terms of SW related games. I think the only GOOD thing they've released recently has been KOTOR. Everything else is merely so-so or sucks.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-06-14, 6:32 PM #34
No, LEC hasn't made any good games since XWA. The only good games have been made by third party devs, and published by LECrap. Gladius, KotOR, etc. were NOT made by LEC. That's why they're at least half-decent.

[This message has been edited by Mister_Sinister (edited June 14, 2004).]
2004-06-14, 6:40 PM #35
they need to make a game that can let me fly around for ingame miles or jump or whatever like in JK instead of this stupid small area gaming nowadays. I remember i had so much fun on levels like the Jawa Oasis where just falling for a mile was fun.

------------------
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2004-06-14, 6:52 PM #36
I'd rather see Jedi Knight: DF2 redone with a new engine. Even if it was the Q3 engine. The game was fun, I won't deny that. However, I found it (even back then) to be somewhat boring as far as the saber combat system went. Though that doesn't stop me from playing it to this day.

------------------
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2004-06-14, 6:53 PM #37
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth Slaw:
I wish DF:Gold was real [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]. I would SOOOOOOOO buy that!

</font>

why would you wish that? if it was real, then whoever picked it up would have ruined it. this way, its free, and gonna stay cool.

------------------
2004-06-14, 7:28 PM #38
Quote:
why would you wish that? if it was real, then whoever picked it up would have ruined it. this way, its free, and gonna stay cool.

</font>

I don't have JA, so I'd have to spend money either way. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

Ruin it? Stay cool? Ahh, you're right! WTF was I thinking? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

I want another JK. I'll say that much.

And I'll also say, I'm not too enthusiastic about buying JA. I'm probably getting tired of (failed?) remakes.
But JK will always be good [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

I'm tired. Good night.

------------------
nytfyre m0d || f33l t3h p0w3r || t3h l0st c0gz || OMF > *
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2004-06-14, 7:38 PM #39
In my opinion, JO easily rivals the coolness of JK as far as the story and mechanics.. visuals.. probably not. JA was garbage though. And Kyle is da man! They should have combined the stories of Mots and JO and called it good after that. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-06-14, 7:46 PM #40
Raven should get their act together, and never coordinate with LEC again, so they can get working on making me Heretic 3 already. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif] Heretic 2 was just so bloody gorgeous, and after the enhancements patch they released, /nothing/ was >> than the bladed staff, not even Mace Windu's purple lightsaber.

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"If all those usefull inventions that are lyable to abuse, should therefore be concealed, there is not any Art or Science, which might be lawfully profest."
-John Wilkins, Mercury, or the Secret and Swift messenger, shewing how a man may with privacy and speed Communicate his thoughts to a Friend at any distance (London, 1641)
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');

[This message has been edited by Dormouse (edited June 14, 2004).]
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

↑ Up to the top!