Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Windows on a Mac
Windows on a Mac
2006-04-05, 7:51 AM #1
It's now offical, the next version of MacOS X will enable support for dual boot of windows.

clickey

I've always liked the looks of the mac's, now they can run windows I'm definitely looking at them in a different light.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2006-04-05, 7:54 AM #2
Any idea if they can run the new Windows Vista that's coming out? I don't particularly care for that OS, i just want to use it for the dx10 games.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2006-04-05, 8:28 AM #3
no mention of it as yet but I'm guessing they'll add support when it comes out.

Rbots
2006-04-05, 8:34 AM #4
Just to play devil's advocate: if you can install Windows on a Mac, why not just buy a PC?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-04-05, 8:36 AM #5
BECAUSE LEIK, MACS ARE HIP AND TRENDY...I MEAN BETTER!
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-04-05, 8:39 AM #6
Originally posted by Emon:
Just to play devil's advocate: if you can install Windows on a Mac, why not just buy a PC?

its so you can have that cool mouse with only one button
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2006-04-05, 8:39 AM #7

Video editing :). Although if Apple is switching processors i'm not sure if they have the multimedia edge anymore.
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2006-04-05, 8:40 AM #8
Uh. Their processers never had a multimedia edge, their software did.
2006-04-05, 8:42 AM #9
Ah, never knew that. But will the same software recompiled for the new processors still have the same edge? You can have same software compiled for different things and have different effects no? I don't know, I gotta try these out some time.
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2006-04-05, 8:43 AM #10

Because you can't (with any stability) put OSX on a regular machine.
D E A T H
2006-04-05, 8:47 AM #11
They're switching processors though, I'm thinking future OS's (maybe even Tiger) will be compatible with PC processors.
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2006-04-05, 8:47 AM #12
Ehhh. I'm not too eager to hop on this bandwagon. Mac hasn't really had to deal with the onslaught of attacks that MS has, so I'm waiting to see if Mac's complacency will result in lots of exploits and holes.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-04-05, 8:54 AM #13
Originally posted by tinny:
They're switching processors though, I'm thinking future OS's (maybe even Tiger) will be compatible with PC processors.

They are...

Wolfy--Macs are inherently more secure because of the lack of a registry. That's where most of the attacks on Windows come from. People have been saying the same thing for years, and the few times known exploits have come out on Mac there have been updates within the week.
D E A T H
2006-04-05, 8:55 AM #14
Apple has always tried it's hardest in the past to make sure OSX will not run on PC's no matter the hardware.

But they have never really stopped people trying to get windows working on a MAC.

I seriously doubt we will ever see MacOS on a PC in the near future, for starters OSX needs EFI and OSX checks when you install it whether it is apple hardware, as no PC has EFI on it and won't until Vista "Server" comes out it'll be a long long while yet.

Rbots
2006-04-05, 9:23 AM #15
Grrr. That's just annoying and mean. Whenever people start talking about Macs I think about Neal Stephenson's bit about hardware addiction in "In The Beginning Was the Command Line".
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-04-05, 9:43 AM #16
And for those that want OSX on a PC, there's WindowBlinds :p
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-04-05, 9:50 AM #17
OSX doesn't have the kind of driver support that would be necessary for running it on a PC. Not that you would ever want to. Sometime they force us to use OSX in college and I just want to die. So awful.
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2006-04-05, 9:53 AM #18
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Wolfy--Macs are inherently more secure because of the lack of a registry.[/QUOTE]

Er. They're inherently more secure against those Windows viruses that use the registry. They're not protected against execution of malicious code using exploits in existing software. They're not protected against worms. And they definitely won't be protected against the holes found in existing Mac software.

Furthermore, most attacks on Windows don't come from registry hacks. They come from exploits in Internet Explorer, or exploits in Microsoft Office, or exploits in Windows itself. They come from small programs being executed, such as worms. At best, the lack of a registry protects from some trojans, a lot of spyware and adware, and some worms. But I'm willing to bet that's not going to stop trojan, spyware, adware, and worm developers.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-04-05, 9:54 AM #19
Funny, I'm never going back to windows after moving to OSX. Suppose it's whatever floats your boat really. When you've got your own setup (and not a public one) it's a joy to use.
2006-04-05, 9:56 AM #20
Uh. Their processers never had a multimedia edge, their software did.

Their software didn't either.
>>untie shoes
2006-04-05, 10:18 AM #21
[QUOTE=James Bond]Apple has always tried it's hardest in the past to make sure OSX will not run on PC's no matter the hardware.

But they have never really stopped people trying to get windows working on a MAC.

I seriously doubt we will ever see MacOS on a PC in the near future, for starters OSX needs EFI and OSX checks when you install it whether it is apple hardware, as no PC has EFI on it and won't until Vista "Server" comes out it'll be a long long while yet.[/QUOTE]
Marketing ploy. Look guys! Our computers can run WINDOWS now! So ditch that lame PC of yours and come buy our $2,500 computers so you can have BOTH OSes.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-04-05, 10:58 AM #22
But they're so pretty :p
2006-04-05, 11:00 AM #23
So? Just because they're pretty doesn't mean thie... whoa, they have aqua blue :eek:
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2006-04-05, 11:01 AM #24
WINDOWS ON A MAC!
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2006-04-05, 11:02 AM #25
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Because you can't (with any stability) put OSX on a regular machine.[/QUOTE]
I meant if someone bought a Mac and only used Windows on it. Dual-booting is clearly a different situation.
2006-04-05, 11:04 AM #26
Originally posted by Wolfy:
stuff about security

That, and almost all Windows users run as administrator or with administrative privledges. If their account is compromised, the attacker has access to the entire system. On a Mac, users are very limited, so attackers can, at best, damage user data.
2006-04-05, 11:07 AM #27
Originally posted by KnightRider2000:
WINDOWS ON A MAC!

WINDOWS ON A MOTHER ****ING MAC!
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2006-04-05, 11:09 AM #28
Hey. Shut up.
2006-04-05, 11:12 AM #29
Hey. No.
2006-04-05, 11:44 AM #30
Mine has an IBM core anyway, so no windows for me (apart from win98 emulated for engineering software).

I'd definitely give a flying **** if I still played games - but I don't so as it happens I'm happy with OSX goodness.

So pretty!

:p
2006-04-05, 11:53 AM #31
OMG MACS SUCK

OMG WHO CARES

If you use both OSes (like I do) its not a big deal. In fact, its kinda neat.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-04-05, 12:05 PM #32
I have a friend who has one of those new Intel-integrated Macs and WinXP on his system. Apparently, he was having rendering issues because of something about drivers.
2006-04-05, 12:36 PM #33
So wow, Apple's basically taking what a bunch of people already figured out how to do and marketing it like it's their idea.
2006-04-05, 12:37 PM #34
Originally posted by 7:
its so you can have that cool mouse with only one button

Funny that, Mac's have had a four button mouse with new machines since last August.

Originally posted by JediGandalf:
Marketing ploy. Look guys! Our computers can run WINDOWS now! So ditch that lame PC of yours and come buy our $2,500 computers so you can have BOTH OSes.

Shame you dont look at the current prices.

This is a good move that will hopefully solve a lot of problems. Its quite interesting the amount of scenarios that this will solve for education and some business' too.
Flying over there some were...
2006-04-05, 12:47 PM #35
Originally posted by Anakin-Paul:
Funny that, Mac's have had a four button mouse with new machines since last August.

[quote= JediGandalf]Marketing ploy. Look guys! Our computers can run WINDOWS now! So ditch that lame PC of yours and come buy our $2,500 computers so you can have BOTH OSes.

This is a good move that will hopefully solve a lot of problems. Its quite interesting the amount of scenarios that this will solve for education and some business' too.

Yeah, the ol'one-button mouse thing never urked me. I find Ctrl + click to be just instinctual as the right click so that it doesn't phase me.

And as for pricing, JG was right, at least in regards to the MacBook Pro 2.0Ghz. :p Personally I have no real qualms with either OS, but I don't know how I feel about running them both on the same computer. I'll always keep a majority of my high-end tasks to a desktop, and on my desktop I have Windows - I do not see that changing. For portability I'm probably going to end up getting a MacBook Pro (or iBook style MacBook if they would release them already!)
2006-04-05, 1:09 PM #36
Plus, like, you can buy a two button mouse.

Just this crazy idea I had!
2006-04-05, 1:12 PM #37
I'm more a fan of the OS than the hardware. (still not much) I wouldn't buy a mac for this. Anyways, you can run OS X on PC pretty well anyways. (not officially :em321: ) I'd buy a PC laptop with the right CPU and dualboot OS X and Windows.
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2006-04-05, 1:22 PM #38
Honestly, it all boils down to one thing: Does it really matter how 1337 you are? Let everyone do thier own thing, stop telling other people how superior your OS is.
DO NOT WANT.
2006-04-05, 2:15 PM #39
Originally posted by Wolfy:
Er. They're inherently more secure against those Windows viruses that use the registry. They're not protected against execution of malicious code using exploits in existing software. They're not protected against worms. And they definitely won't be protected against the holes found in existing Mac software.

Furthermore, most attacks on Windows don't come from registry hacks. They come from exploits in Internet Explorer, or exploits in Microsoft Office, or exploits in Windows itself. They come from small programs being executed, such as worms. At best, the lack of a registry protects from some trojans, a lot of spyware and adware, and some worms. But I'm willing to bet that's not going to stop trojan, spyware, adware, and worm developers.

Yes it will--because Macs aren't likely to get a significant (greater than 10%) piece of the market any time soon.

Originally posted by MBeggar:
OMG MACS SUCK

OMG WHO CARES

If you use both OSes (like I do) its not a big deal. In fact, its kinda neat.

Agreed.

Originally posted by Darth:
So wow, Apple's basically taking what a bunch of people already figured out how to do and marketing it like it's their idea.

Along with adding official support and help to those who do it, and making it a viable option for businesses.

Mighty Mouse's suck. Period. Good idea, horrible execution.

The prices are still 1300 bucks for a basic (and fairly crappy) iMac. For a basic PC, you're talking 4-500 dollars. Only difference is the amount of bloat on said PC (which can be gotten rid of with a simple format). It IS a good move, but at the moment it doesn't solve any problems--there's still no driver support for your X1600 (if that's what you have in your iMac) so it does you no good on the gaming end. In fact, there's a lot of driver issues.

But of course, you being the mac zealot you are, I'm not surprised you'd defend it to the death.

Originally posted by Zell:
Honestly, it all boils down to one thing: Does it really matter how 1337 you are? Let everyone do thier own thing, stop telling other people how superior your OS is.

Nobody's talking about superiority here.
D E A T H
2006-04-05, 2:29 PM #40
I'm planning on getting a Macbook Pro once Conroe comes out. It's good to know that Windows will work on it, but I'm much more interested in WPF/E.

Ironically enough, once the world makes a full switchover to .NET Windows will become irrelevant.

↑ Up to the top!