Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Windows on a Mac
Windows on a Mac
2006-04-05, 3:01 PM #41
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
And for those that want OSX on a PC, there's WindowBlinds :p

Or you could go Fly a kite!... sort of

http://osx.portraitofakite.com/

I have that on my laptop. I really like it.
2006-04-05, 3:05 PM #42
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Mighty Mouse's suck. Period. Good idea, horrible execution.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, I used one at the Apple section of my University's bookstore and I did not like it at all.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2006-04-05, 5:25 PM #43
Why do people say Mac is so good with video editing? I keep hearing this when people argue that Macs are better. Is it really true?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-04-05, 5:31 PM #44
Originally posted by Echoman:
Why do people say Mac is so good with video editing? I keep hearing this when people argue that Macs are better. Is it really true?

Not better. Easier. But not better. Premiere, by Adobe, pretty much the best program in the business is windows only. iLife has a good editing program for it though.
D E A T H
2006-04-05, 5:54 PM #45
So its mostly based on software, not the OS?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-04-05, 6:03 PM #46
Originally posted by Echoman:
So its mostly based on software, not the OS?

Software and Hardware. Obviously dual core P4s are going to be more efficient than any AMD single core you throw at it.
D E A T H
2006-04-05, 6:40 PM #47
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Not better. Easier. But not better. Premiere, by Adobe, pretty much the best program in the business is windows only. iLife has a good editing program for it though.[/QUOTE]

Some would argue that Final Cut Pro is better.

I wouldn't, but some would. :p
2006-04-05, 6:47 PM #48
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]Some would argue that Final Cut Pro is better.

I wouldn't, but some would. :p[/QUOTE]
Some people wear braces.
Beth could play linebacker for the Raiders.

-Some people are idiots
D E A T H
2006-04-05, 7:17 PM #49
Final Cut Pro has consistently struck me as a more intuitive program than Premiere, which I've always had a horrid time trying to figure out how to use.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2006-04-05, 7:22 PM #50
Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
Final Cut Pro has consistently struck me as a more intuitive program than Premiere, which I've always had a horrid time trying to figure out how to use.

Probably. Final Cut Pro looks more intuitive. But Blender is also more intuitive than 3DSMax.
D E A T H
2006-04-05, 7:49 PM #51
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Ironically enough, once the world makes a full switchover to .NET Windows will become irrelevant.

I don't think I am understanding something. The world switches over to .NET, a MS framework, and Windows becomes irrelevant?
2006-04-05, 10:44 PM #52
Originally posted by JDKNITE188:
I don't think I am understanding something. The world switches over to .NET, a MS framework, and Windows becomes irrelevant?

See, that crossed my mind but I didn't want ot be the first to ask :p
2006-04-05, 11:44 PM #53
Wow, you didn't go to the link I posted at all did you?
2006-04-06, 4:44 AM #54
Me? no, I was skim reading whilst getting ready for work. I might have a goosey now though
2006-04-06, 5:43 AM #55
I used to admire Mac hardware, but hated their software. Now I hate all of it. Its just another PC now. Frickin' sellouts.

Originally posted by Jon`C:
I'm planning on getting a Macbook Pro once Conroe comes out. It's good to know that Windows will work on it, but I'm much more interested in WPF/E.

Ironically enough, once the world makes a full switchover to .NET Windows will become irrelevant.

Mind explaining that statement? Besides the fact that the world will *never* make a "full switchover" to .NET, even if we did it would be in Microsoft's favour.

Microsoft didnt write .NET out of the goodness of their hearts, they did it to lock people into Windows, a job its especially good at.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2006-04-06, 6:41 AM #56
Originally posted by gbk:
I used to admire Mac hardware, but hated their software. Now I hate all of it. Its just another PC now. Frickin' sellouts.

Mind explaining that statement? Besides the fact that the world will *never* make a "full switchover" to .NET, even if we did it would be in Microsoft's favour.

Microsoft didnt write .NET out of the goodness of their hearts, they did it to lock people into Windows, a job its especially good at.

1) Is it any coincidence the new macs are anywhere from 2 to 4 times faster? Man, their old hardware obviously kicked ***.

2) Stop your stupid Windows anti-fanboyism. You act like you're 15 years old or something. Get a hold of yourself.
D E A T H
2006-04-06, 7:07 AM #57
How is he being immature at all?

I don't see how any person who enjoys computers on a technical level can like Macs.
How is restricting the user's privelages a good thing? No, wait, how can you advocate restricting user's access without either being self-destructive or being a prick?

"Our processors are faster, but you're not allowed to touch!"
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-04-06, 7:47 AM #58
Security. With fewer permissions, viruses that execute won't be able to do as much damage.

However, I thoroughly enjoy the use of an administrator account on my Windows computer.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-04-06, 8:07 AM #59
First, let me get something clear: Is there the idea of a "root" in Macs?

If there's not, I don't see how someone who likes computers could possibly limit themselves by using a Mac.
Ban Jin!
2006-04-06, 9:49 AM #60
Originally posted by SMOCK!:
How is he being immature at all?

I don't see how any person who enjoys computers on a technical level can like Macs.
How is restricting the user's privelages a good thing? No, wait, how can you advocate restricting user's access without either being self-destructive or being a prick?

"Our processors are faster, but you're not allowed to touch!"

Ever use Linux? Seriously. There's administrator privileges, and administrator accounts.
D E A T H
2006-04-06, 10:47 AM #61
Yes. I know there's the concept of "root" in Linux. I'm asking if there's administrator priveleges on a Mac. Because:
If there's not, I don't see how someone who likes computers could possibly limit themselves by using a Mac.
Ban Jin!
2006-04-06, 11:27 AM #62
Yes. I know there's the concept of "root" in Linux. I'm asking if there's administrator priveleges on a Mac. Because:

No, of course there's not. You cannot edit any files, and you're stuck with what you buy.

-sarcasm destroys my soul.
D E A T H
2006-04-06, 7:23 PM #63
Code:
Last login: Wed Mar 29 17:20:48 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
wireless168076:~ andy$ su
Password:
su: Sorry

Weird, my administrator password doesn't work. :confused:
2006-04-06, 7:38 PM #64
It's not "just another" PC. Making Mac hardware means Intel isn't restricted by the hardware needs of their PC customers. Note, for instance, the fact that the new Macs use EFI.

EDIT: LOL POWERPC G4 IS BETTER BECAUSE IT CAN'T RUN MICRO$OFT WINDOZE AM I RITE?

Right, which is why they're porting it and WPF to Mac and making browser plugins for Safari and Firefox and such.
I'm sure you already know this, though, since it was in the link I gave you. After all: would you really spew patently retarded flamebait meritless bullcrap without having any idea of what you're talking about? Of course not. You're gbk.

Do you even know what .NET is and what it's good for? No? Then get lost.

Edit: .NET provides 3 things. First, it provides a system for the distribution of software in a platform-neutral form. Second, it provides a system for incorporating metadata into binaries, meaning the interface is retained even after compilation. Third, it provides a language-neutral standard library. This solves many problems and brings a lot of features to the table that simply weren't available before.
For instance, you can compile C++ source code at run-time and host it in its own appdomain. Or you can take a library that someone else wrote and use reflection to get the interface.

BUT YOU'RE RIGHT, LOL, IT'S CRAP BECAUSE IT'S MADE BY MICRO$$$HAFT LOLZ.

Step 1: Release .NET and its specifications for free and have an independent organization standardize on it.
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit.

LOL GNU/LINUX LOL

Here's another link about WPF/E. Not that you'll read it. You're gbk.

Edit 2: Just in case you're a special lad who refuses to read the links people post, which describes you perfectly,
"The WPF/E package also contains a small, cross platform subset of the CLR and .NET Framework that can run C# or VB.NET code. Yes, we are bringing C# programming to the Mac."
2006-04-06, 8:26 PM #65
lolol Jon'C good points but don't expect ppl to read what you link rofl lol

I've been very satisfied with .NET with C#.

↑ Up to the top!