Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → SCEA France's VP slipped PS3's price
SCEA France's VP slipped PS3's price
2006-04-05, 1:12 PM #1
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/04/05/scee-vp-says-ps3-will-cost-499-to-599-euros/

According to that article, the Price of the PS3 is going to be between 499 euros and 599 euros. Which translates into between $613 and $736.

"In a radio interview with Générations Europe 1 yesterday, George Fornay -- president of Sony Computer Entertainment France and vice president of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe -- let a little something slip: the PlayStation 3 will cost between €499 and €599. That's somewhere between $613 to $736 in American dollars! He was sure to point out that while this might sound like a lot of money for a game system, it was in fact cheap for a Blu-ray compatible playback system. Yay?"

That's about the price I was expecting the PS3 to be. Right around 650 and 700. Granted I know that the price could still be outside of that 613-736 range, but still I don't expect it to drop much below that.
2006-04-05, 1:18 PM #2
lols
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2006-04-05, 1:21 PM #3
Serves the Sony fanboys right :p
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2006-04-05, 1:22 PM #4
Ugh, I would never pay anywhere that much for a game system, no matter how sweet it is!
2006-04-05, 1:24 PM #5
Wait a year and the price will drop in half.
Pissed Off?
2006-04-05, 1:27 PM #6
Wow, that's a lot of money!

It will be interesting seeing how the next gen console wars go, since there are huge price discrepancies.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-04-05, 1:28 PM #7
That's pretty expensive... Never thought it'd be over 500 :\

Oh well
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-04-05, 1:49 PM #8
here is how I see the console wars going down

360 - Launched earliest, gets a head start, great games

Revolution - Cheapest price, brand new kind of gaming, very intriguing

PS3 - It's solid power willl draw many in
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2006-04-05, 1:56 PM #9
Originally posted by petmc20:

The 360 has basically NO good games right now. :(
2006-04-05, 1:57 PM #10
Oblivion?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-04-05, 1:58 PM #11

360 has great games? Maybe two :/

The gamecube outsold the X360 last month, that's how bad its doing. :p
2006-04-05, 1:59 PM #12
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]The gamecube outsold the X360 last month, that's how bad its doing. :p[/QUOTE]

Solely because of supply issues. Trust me, people gobble them up when we get them in.
2006-04-05, 2:01 PM #13
Originally posted by Delphian:
Ugh, I would never pay anywhere that much for a game system, no matter how sweet it is!

How much did you pay for your computer?

The 360 has no good games except MAYBE Oblivion. Even then, that's a port.

The PS* franchise has been known for its large amounts of great games...and of crappy ones.

Anyways, the price seems about right, unfortunately. I was hoping for 500 at least, but that'd be asking too much. Oh well. We'll see it drop soon after--hopefully 400 by next Easter. Should be able to get one then if that's the case.
D E A T H
2006-04-05, 2:05 PM #14
I have to say, for the next generation, I'm sticking with Nintendo.

(Can you say Super Smash Bros Online!)
2006-04-05, 2:08 PM #15
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]
The 360 has no good games except MAYBE Oblivion. Even then, that's a port.
[/QUOTE]

But that's pretty irrelevant since Oblivion was designed with the console in mind from the get go. There's a lot of complaints from PC gamers claiming the interface was designed for a console.
2006-04-05, 2:11 PM #16
Designed for the console first in mind? What the hell are you smoking?
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-04-05, 2:13 PM #17
Yeah, dude... I never said first in mind, I said in mind. Morrowind was practically on the Xbox before development on Oblivion started.
2006-04-05, 2:19 PM #18
The graphics on the PS3 will likely not be better than the Xbox 360, simply because the overwhelmingly majority of PS3 titles will also be available on the Xbox 360. Given the $50 million+ budget of most games, we probably won't be seeing too many exclusive titles outside of first and second-party games.

Here's how I see it playing out:

The Xbox 360 is released at a fairly high price point. It has extremely limited availability and it's too expensive for all but the most die hard early adopters/suckers/rich people. Few games are released but they show fairly strong sales given the increased price.

Within a week of each other, the Revolution and the PS3 are released. The Revolution has a $160 sticker price while the PS3 weighs in at $600.

The Revolution has a fairly weak launch offering, consisting almost entirely of Gamecube games "enhanced" for the Revolution controller, as well as several of Miyamoto's toy games.

The PS3 has a cold launch. In addition to the FUD concerning Bluray and DRM, on release day Microsoft quietly drops the Xbox 360's price by $100 for core and $120 for premium. Most of the games released as PS3 launch titles are also available on the Xbox 360, because they cost too much to make to be exclusives. The only thing that prevents the Xbox 360 from eating the PS3 alive is the ever-present supply shortage, but it will end up doing very little to help the PS3.
2006-04-05, 2:25 PM #19
Nintendo could come out on top if it has brand new installments in it's main series available at launch. That means a Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, and Paper Mario, at least. Of course there will be a Mario Revolution (or something) And if they managed to pull a Zelda? Wonderous.

A launch Zelda is highly unlikely though. They seem to be doing the same thing with Twilight Princess as they did with Majora's Mask; releasing it late in the consoles lifetime and holding off the next-gen zelda until the new console is established.
Wikissassi sucks.
2006-04-05, 2:27 PM #20
When they said they would delay TP to make it better, I wasn't expecting to wait 2 extra years, sigh
2006-04-05, 2:28 PM #21
Originally posted by Freelancer:
But that's pretty irrelevant since Oblivion was designed with the console in mind from the get go. There's a lot of complaints from PC gamers claiming the interface was designed for a console.

The only part of the interface "designed for a console" is the inventory...sort of. I like the inventory--it's fine to me.

Just keep in mind that there's a lot of stupid people out there too. And it's still a port--just a good one. Such things do exist.
D E A T H
2006-04-05, 2:33 PM #22
When they said they would delay TP to make it better, I wasn't expecting to wait 2 extra years, sigh
Twilight Princess is being redone to work with the Revolution controller. That means it will likely be released at the same time as the Revolution launch and advertised as working with both systems.
2006-04-05, 2:47 PM #23
haha
2006-04-05, 3:06 PM #24
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]The only part of the interface "designed for a console" is the inventory...sort of. I like the inventory--it's fine to me.

Just keep in mind that there's a lot of stupid people out there too. And it's still a port--just a good one. Such things do exist.[/QUOTE]

Whether or not it is a port is irrelevant, no? It's playable on XBox 360..hence it's considered an XBox 360 game. :p
woot!
2006-04-05, 3:18 PM #25
And that rumor is worthless because today 2 devteams in California said they got an official price point from Sony of $499.

We'll find out in one month
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2006-04-05, 3:20 PM #26
$500 is still bloody expensive.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-04-05, 3:25 PM #27
Originally posted by fishstickz:

It's 500 bucks, but with the PS3 you get more of the things Xbox360 has, but free and bundled. You get free online, otherwise 60 bucks a year for 360. You get a bluray player, wheras the 360 has an external HD-DVD player you would need to buy to play them. You get a stock 60GB HD, whereas 360s was only 20GB. I'd say all of that is worth another hundred dollars.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2006-04-05, 3:51 PM #28
Originally posted by fishstickz:

No, it's not at all. Stock Blu-Ray players are set to start at 1,500 US Dollars. That's 1/3 the price of a BluRay player. And it can do a HELL of a lot more.

http://ps3.qj.net/PS3-to-retail-at-499-/pg/49/aid/14395
D E A T H
2006-04-05, 3:53 PM #29
you know what? never mind
2006-04-05, 3:55 PM #30
Originally posted by Freelancer:
Saying that 1/3 of something ridiculously expensive is not expensive just because it's 1/3 of the ridiculous price doesn't mean it's cheap.

Yes...it does...considering what it can do. It's basically what everyone says the PS2, Xbox, and Xbox 360 were, even though they weren't. It's a PC in a console package, and a DAMN GOOD one at that. For 500 dollars. That can play Blu-Ray discs inherently.

And I'm not editing this post.
D E A T H
2006-04-05, 4:18 PM #31
Originally posted by Jon`C:
The PS3 has a cold launch. In addition to the FUD concerning Bluray and DRM, on release day Microsoft quietly drops the Xbox 360's price by $100 for core and $120 for premium. Most of the games released as PS3 launch titles are also available on the Xbox 360, because they cost too much to make to be exclusives. The only thing that prevents the Xbox 360 from eating the PS3 alive is the ever-present supply shortage, but it will end up doing very little to help the PS3.

I pretty much agree with your post, except that it's been announced that Microsoft is going to try the merge the core system into the standard line and not offer the stripped down version anymore.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-04-05, 7:16 PM #32
700 ****ing us dollars? THATS ALMOST A 1000 CANADIAN

**** THAT
2006-04-05, 7:42 PM #33
Sony Computer Entertainment America France? maybe you mean SCEE
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2006-04-05, 8:16 PM #34
**** that noise.

The Revolution doesn't have to outsell the PS3 or the Xbox360 for Nintendo to pull profit.

The Gamecube didn't, and Nintendo pulled profit.
2006-04-05, 8:30 PM #35
I paid 1200 for my computer, and without peripherals, it came to about 700 (expensive monitor, what can I say). I'm sure when the PS3 comes out I can build a similar computer for the same price, and it would do more, or the same, or slightly less. But not enough to warrant buying the PS3

700, or hell, even 500 for a console is a bit hard to swallow, no matter what it could do. That was part of the beauty of consoles; they were relatively cheap, and did what you wanted it to do: play games.

Not levitate your house.

Not kill your enemies.

No, it played games. They weren't PC's, they weren't entertainment centers. And I don't see what's wrong with that. Your fridge isn't a coffee maker/stove/hot tub combo. It freaking cools food, and thank god it stayed that way.

But apparently, people are willing to pay for it, so why the hell not? If I were Sony, I'd do it if I knew suckers... err, people, would fork over that much money. Hell, Sony makes soddy products, and has ****ty customer service, but they are doing great; obviously, they know an infinite amount more about what they do than I do. However, my point still stands.
2006-04-05, 8:34 PM #36
You can't use personal experience to justify a statement. Even though you didn't, I know you are.

As huge of a cooperation as Sony is, **** is BOUND to go wrong. It's lunacy to expect the opposite.

However, I will say that I haven't had a Sony product fail or perform unexpectedly in quite some time.

And as I recall, Sony is still in pretty good standing with the BBB.
2006-04-05, 8:41 PM #37
[QUOTE=Lord Kuat]I paid 1200 for my computer, and without peripherals, it came to about 700 (expensive monitor, what can I say). I'm sure when the PS3 comes out I can build a similar computer for the same price, and it would do more, or the same, or slightly less. But not enough to warrant buying the PS3

700, or hell, even 500 for a console is a bit hard to swallow, no matter what it could do. That was part of the beauty of consoles; they were relatively cheap, and did what you wanted it to do: play games.

Not levitate your house.

Not kill your enemies.

No, it played games. They weren't PC's, they weren't entertainment centers. And I don't see what's wrong with that. Your fridge isn't a coffee maker/stove/hot tub combo. It freaking cools food, and thank god it stayed that way.

But apparently, people are willing to pay for it, so why the hell not? If I were Sony, I'd do it if I knew suckers... err, people, would fork over that much money. Hell, Sony makes soddy products, and has ****ty customer service, but they are doing great; obviously, they know an infinite amount more about what they do than I do. However, my point still stands.[/QUOTE]
1) 500 isn't hard to swallow, not in this day and age. People are shelling out 500 for a 360 with 4 controllers at the premium price. That's without a game. Plus the hundreds of thousands, if not millions people pay for Live.

2) There's nothing wrong with multifunctionality. Cell phones play games, allow you to text, calculate, all KINDS of stuff nowadays. It's called technological advancement.

3) People are not suckers for paying 500--the machines cost a cool 800-ish to build (an estimate a while back said 900, but it was somewhat biased). If anything, 500 is a damn, DAMN good price for a machine that's technically more powerful than any computer out. It's all about how developers use that power. And no, you couldn't build a faster computer when it comes out (if it's still coming out in November).

4) Sony is a great company--they offer good *** support. PSPs can be returned with ONE dead pixel (within warranty time of course), they take all problems with PS2's, fix them, and give you a new one, and more **** I couldn't possible list here. They don't make soddy products--the lead the industry in technological prowess. Such is the price of a certain amount of fallibility when you do that.
D E A T H
2006-04-05, 8:42 PM #38
Originally posted by Rob:
You can't use personal experience to justify a statement. Even though you didn't, I know you are.

As huge of a cooperation as Sony is, **** is BOUND to go wrong. It's lunacy to expect the opposite.

However, I will say that I haven't had a Sony product fail or perform unexpectedly in quite some time.

And as I recall, Sony is still in pretty good standing with the BBB.

I never actually had bad dealings with sony myself, this was based on:

1.) People's experiences in the MMO's Sony hosts. This is basically just "stuff", like what I hear people have to deal with sometimes in SWG and EQ. Such as people getting “spaced” in SWG, and the reportedly onerous system of relaying problems in EQ, that's I've heard of and is completely second hand info.
2.) All my friends who have PS2's have some sort of crap to deal with them. Problems such as the dead pixels in the PSP. General "crap" you hear about. Have you never heard of people having to do weird voodoo with their PS2's to get them to work? Seems shoddy to me.

That was a small part of what I was saying anyway. Obviously, they aren't Hell Inc, and they aren't any worse than many other big companies. My point was that they know what they are doing, and as much as I was protesting the price, they knew more than I did and it would more than likely sell like the hardware version of hotcakes.

Since it wasn't an integral part of my argument, I really didn't give it much thought. It's second hand info that I hear alot of, so I went with it.
2006-04-05, 8:45 PM #39
[QUOTE=Lord Kuat]I never actually had bad dealings with sony myself, this was based on:

1.) People's experiences in the MMO's Sony hosts. This is basically just "stuff", like what I hear people have to deal with sometimes in SWG and EQ. Such as people getting “spaced” in SWG, and the reportedly onerous system of relaying problems in EQ, that's I've heard of and is completely second hand info.
2.) All my friends who have PS2's have some sort of crap to deal with them. Problems such as the dead pixels in the PSP. General "crap" you hear about. Have you never heard of people having to do weird voodoo with their PS2's to get them to work? Seems shoddy to me.

That was a small part of what I was saying anyway. Obviously, they aren't Hell Inc, and they aren't any worse than many other big companies. My point was that they know what they are doing, and as much as I was protesting the price, they knew more than I did and it would more than likely sell like the hardware version of hotcakes.

Since it wasn't an integral part of my argument, I really didn't give it much thought. It's second hand info that I hear alot of, so I went with it.[/QUOTE]
1) Their MMO business is worlds away from their hardware line. It sucks. Hard.

2) They can get their PS2's fixed--I'm sure most people with PS2 problems probably have recalls on their PS2's they just haven't answered because they're uninformed. And dead pixels on the PSP was a fixable problem that Sony took care of for free in a hush-hush manner. Most of the crap you hear about is from stupid consumers. Caveat Emptor.
D E A T H
2006-04-05, 8:50 PM #40
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]1) 500 isn't hard to swallow, not in this day and age. People are shelling out 500 for a 360 with 4 controllers at the premium price. That's without a game. Plus the hundreds of thousands, if not millions people pay for Live.

2) There's nothing wrong with multifunctionality. Cell phones play games, allow you to text, calculate, all KINDS of stuff nowadays. It's called technological advancement.

3) People are not suckers for paying 500--the machines cost a cool 800-ish to build (an estimate a while back said 900, but it was somewhat biased). If anything, 500 is a damn, DAMN good price for a machine that's technically more powerful than any computer out. It's all about how developers use that power. And no, you couldn't build a faster computer when it comes out (if it's still coming out in November).

4) Sony is a great company--they offer good *** support. PSPs can be returned with ONE dead pixel (within warranty time of course), they take all problems with PS2's, fix them, and give you a new one, and more **** I couldn't possible list here. They don't make soddy products--the lead the industry in technological prowess. Such is the price of a certain amount of fallibility when you do that.[/QUOTE]

1.) If people want to waste their money, sure, it's their money. 500 isn't pocket change, no matter how you slice it. People are extremely irresponsible with their money; what, is that a good thing?

2.) My cellphone has those features. I don't use them. I find no use for them. It's just extra fluff. "Extra crap" is NOT always a marvelous advancement that is to be awestruck by. It's extra crap.

3.) You know, you can buy the PS3, and I'll stick by my PC. We'll still be on this forum. Let's see how that turns out.

4.) I thought it was 13 dead pixels. "They lead the industry in tech prowess".

Debating you will obviously go very, very far.

A "Hmm, this ham and cheese sandwich needs more mayo"
B "MAYO IS THE SPAWN OF SATAN! IT KILLS BABIES"

Me trying to convince you of anything is like A trying to convince B that mayo doesn't steal the souls of virgins. True, yours is based in more logic... slightly... but same principle.

That and you know more than I do on this, heh.

↑ Up to the top!