Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Shoes indoors?
Shoes indoors?
2006-04-09, 9:08 AM #1
Help me Massassi demographic crossection, you are my only hope.

I've gotten the impression, mainly from television, that Americans wear shoes indoors as well as outdoors. As in not taking your shoes off when you enter your house. I want to challenge this predjudice. It's simple. Do you and your family members take your shoes off when you enter your house/home? Where do you live?

As you might have noticed from the tone in my post, I do take off my shoes when I go into my house. However, in my second home in the military I don't, because noone else does and I can't be bothered to tie/untie all those shoeleashes and hook the leg sleeve hooks to the boots all the time I want/have to go somewhere.
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2006-04-09, 9:12 AM #2
Yes. My mommy would kill me. When I move out within the next year or so (hopefully!), I will continue taking off my shoes as it just leads to a dirty floor which will need to cleaned far too often.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2006-04-09, 9:12 AM #3
Depends. Usually I take my shoes off or put on house-shoes. But when I'm somewhere where I know that the ground is cold and that the residents don't mind people keeping their shoes on I keep mine on, too.
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-04-09, 9:15 AM #4
Yep, I do take them off when home or other people's homes.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-04-09, 9:35 AM #5
I'll take them off if I'm not going anywhere for a while, and don't put shoes on until they are needed. If I'm going somewhere soon then I'll just leave them on.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2006-04-09, 9:43 AM #6
Well, in Japan and such, taking off your shoes is a big deal.

But in America, it's not that big of a deal. Most people do so anyway, just because leaving them on gets the floor dirty, but I've been to friend's houses where they don't care.
2006-04-09, 9:57 AM #7
They only do it on TV because it's TV.
Wikissassi sucks.
2006-04-09, 10:00 AM #8
Normally always off.
2006-04-09, 10:03 AM #9
yeah i always take my shoes off. unless i dont think ill be coherent enough to find them at the end of the night, or the host really doesnt mind, and theres a majority of people wearing shoes. even then, i feel weird doing it.
2006-04-09, 10:16 AM #10
I usually only take my shoes off in my room, most of our floors are just hardwood flooring (except my room) so we don't care if you do or not. In winter it sucks to not wear shoes downstairs when people come home.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-04-09, 10:29 AM #11
I leave my shoes on sometimes, sometimes I take them off.

Right now I have them on.

2006-04-09, 10:51 AM #12
Yep, I do. It's mostly a comfort thing, though, rather than a cleanliness thing.
"Art is a lie that makes us to realize the truth."
- Pablo Picasso

blog thingamajig
2006-04-09, 11:26 AM #13
I don't unless my shoes are really dirty.
Pissed Off?
2006-04-09, 11:39 AM #14
I take them off in my room. A lot of people I've met think it's rude to take your shoes off when you come into their house though. I guess a floor just isn't a floor without dirt and whatnot tracked on to it.
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2006-04-09, 11:43 AM #15
i take them off when i go home, but here in the dorm room i could care less.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2006-04-09, 12:16 PM #16
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Yep, I do take them off when home or other people's homes.

Well, that figures in Finland. You wouldn't probably be invited a second time to a person's home if you walked in with your shoes on.

[QUOTE=Cool Matty]Well, in Japan and such, taking off your shoes is a big deal.
[/QUOTE]
I remember reading that in some bathhouses they have separate indoors shoes you must wear when you go to the WC, and if you forget them on after your toilet visit, the other people won't like it at all. Although I can't say how truthful this is.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-04-09, 12:26 PM #17
I absolutely hate my shoes being dirty, which is why they are always clean. They are always clean because it is a hassle to take them off when I go indoors, especially if its just for a moment at a friends house or something. Answer: I never take my shoes off unless im in for the night.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2006-04-09, 12:28 PM #18
Originally posted by drizzt2k2:
I absolutely hate my shoes being dirty, which is why they are always clean. They are always clean because it is a hassle to take them off when I go indoors, especially if its just for a moment at a friends house or something. Answer: I never take my shoes off unless im in for the night.

Yeah.

It's half and halfish here.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-04-09, 12:29 PM #19
My shoes don't tend to be dirty. In the dorm I don't take the shoes off, in my house I generally don't either, but in other people's houses always.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2006-04-09, 12:29 PM #20
In carpeted homes, taking off shoes is MUCH more common. Homes with hardwood floors aren't a big deal since they are so easy to clean.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-04-09, 12:31 PM #21
Depends how dirty they are. Typically i do wear my shoes inside if i am wearing them at all, in the summer i never wear shoes. My freinds make us take of our shoes, but they have carpet.
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
2006-04-09, 12:32 PM #22
wtf? That's so weird. I've hardly even ever heard of people taking their shoes off inside the house. I mean, I've met a few people who insisted, but I always figured they were loony.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-04-09, 12:37 PM #23
I take my shoes off when I get into my room, just for comfort. Other than that, I leave them on.
At friends houses though, I see what they do.
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2006-04-09, 12:53 PM #24
Originally posted by lassev:
I remember reading that in some bathhouses they have separate indoors shoes you must wear when you go to the WC, and if you forget them on after your toilet visit, the other people won't like it at all. Although I can't say how truthful this is.

My father said that they had to change into special slipers when they were visiting a construction site in Japan.
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-04-09, 12:53 PM #25
I don't wear shoes, I wear sandals. Sandals = dirty feet. If I take my sandals off, floors will get -more- dirty. So yeah, only if people insist. But at home I take them off, dirty feet or not.

o.0
2006-04-09, 1:20 PM #26
I have linoleum floors. Any untidyness can be swept up, so it's not realy a big deal.

I'll usually wear shoes inside if I'm getting ready for work, but I usually leave within a half hour of putting them on. I only keep my shoes on inside if it's cold/raining out because I smoke outside.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2006-04-09, 1:21 PM #27
I generally don't take my shoes off until I'm in my room, and even then it's only for comfort reasons, not to avoid making a mess. But that being said, I live in a house with two dogs, and they make much more mess than the rest of my family's shoes combined. Also, if I've been out jogging, and have muddy shoes, I usually take them off before coming inside.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2006-04-09, 1:22 PM #28
I wear sandals indoors. These sandals never leave the house, so they are relatively clean.

Most of my family's home is not carpeted, but on the carpet I go bare-feet or w/ socks.
2006-04-09, 1:30 PM #29
I usually take my shoes off when I'm in the house, but not for any reason other than I am more comfortable.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2006-04-09, 1:36 PM #30
I just tend to take me shoes off when I go into the house, but that's just force of habit. I don't think about why I do it.
nope.
2006-04-09, 1:58 PM #31
i hardly leave the house, so usually shoes off.

When i do go out, no one bats an eyelid if i have shoes on after i come in.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-04-09, 2:17 PM #32
Here in the Canadarian province of Albertia, we always take off our shoes. We keep our pets clean too. What's wrong with you people?
2006-04-09, 2:33 PM #33
I almost always take off my shoes when in a residence. The only times I don't is if I feel the other people would think it super-rude of me to take my shoes off, or if the floor is super-dirty. I'm pretty sure I take my shoes off out of comfort, but cleanliness and such is certainly a factor too.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2006-04-09, 2:48 PM #34
Shoes go off indoors. Unless its someplace like a school.
2006-04-09, 3:12 PM #35
Usually take off my shoes when indoors, unless I forget. Always take them off before walking around in a carpeted area.
2006-04-09, 3:22 PM #36
It's not a rule in my home to take your shoes off when indoors. As long as the shoes aren't dirty it's perfectly fine. I, however, always take me shoes off if I don't plan on going outside because it's uncomfortable to leave them on all day. I also have a tendency to take my shoes off while in the car (don't worry, my feet don't stink that bad) and my father would joke saying "Get your shoes on Japanese boy!" whenever we exit the car. I'm not Japanese though, BTW. My mother is chinese and my father is white.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-04-09, 3:29 PM #37
Keeping your shoes on indoors is bad. Not only do you get things dirty, but also can be disrespectful. I don't know anybody who keeps their shoes on inside in their house. I live in the Seattle area. Some people have indoor shoes though. From my experience (not just in washington state), very few Americans take their shoes off.
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2006-04-09, 3:32 PM #38
I'm asian, dude.

(But I still keep my shoes on sometimes when it's convenient -- IE I just need to run thru really fast)
一个大西瓜
2006-04-09, 4:10 PM #39
Most of the people I know take them off, and the few that do wear shoes inside generally have a seperate pair for that.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-04-09, 4:16 PM #40
I take of my feet protection/support devices when I go inside.

↑ Up to the top!