Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Dark Forces 4?
Dark Forces 4?
2006-04-17, 12:28 PM #1
Are there any roomers of another Dark Forces or Star Wars FPS right now? Just curious.
2006-04-17, 12:30 PM #2
Nothing that I know of.
2006-04-17, 12:31 PM #3
Originally posted by Venesectrix:
roomers

rumors?

There are no rumors of another JK title. There is thread stickied on the Jedi Academy forum of Lucasforums just because people keep asking.
2006-04-17, 12:32 PM #4
Was there a Dark Forces 3?
2006-04-17, 12:33 PM #5
I think the series has been beaten to death. Only so much you can do with Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors.
2006-04-17, 12:34 PM #6
New Dash Rendar game? :em321:
DO NOT WANT.
2006-04-17, 12:34 PM #7
If there is not another Jedi Knight game... the world is doomerd...
Nothing to see here, move along.
2006-04-17, 12:36 PM #8
I think if there was a Star Wars games that was like Gunz Online it would be VERY succesful... but of course... no one ever thinks like that. :p
Nothing to see here, move along.
2006-04-17, 12:38 PM #9
Originally posted by Zell:
New Dash Rendar game?

They should at leats update SotE for GC or Revo :gbk:
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2006-04-17, 12:39 PM #10
Originally posted by JDKNITE188:
rumors?

Rumours?
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-04-17, 12:40 PM #11
I'd probably play it.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-04-17, 12:41 PM #12
Originally posted by ORJ_JoS:
Rumours?

Hey ORJ_JoS, are you English?
2006-04-17, 12:42 PM #13
Originally posted by ORJ_JoS:
Rumours?

No, this is the internet not Europe. We speak American English here. :p
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2006-04-17, 12:45 PM #14
Actually it's like that in Canada, and we're on top.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-04-17, 12:48 PM #15
[QUOTE=Glyde Bane]Actually it's like that in Canada, and we're on top.[/QUOTE]

Trust me, being on the bottom is better ;)
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2006-04-17, 12:53 PM #16
Yep. less work. :em321:
Pissed Off?
2006-04-17, 12:57 PM #17
Dark Forces 4?

It's called Jedi Academy.

2006-04-17, 12:58 PM #18
This thread actually reminds me of old times, when it was announced that a sequel for JO would be made. And, surprisingly, people went all "it has been beaten to death". Oh well, JA is fun for random playthroughs. :)
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-04-17, 1:03 PM #19
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
I think if there was a Star Wars games that was like Gunz Online it would be VERY succesful... but of course... no one ever thinks like that. :p

Gunz Online would be a complete failure here. Complete, and utter, failure.
2006-04-17, 1:08 PM #20
[QUOTE=The Mega-ZZTer]It's called Jedi Academy.[/QUOTE]
Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy I
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-04-17, 1:35 PM #21
[QUOTE=The Mega-ZZTer]
Dark Forces 4?

It's called Jedi Academy.[/QUOTE]

Ugh, that's even worse than calling it Jedi Knight 3.
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-04-17, 1:46 PM #22
Originally posted by genk:
Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy I

er.
Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast: Jedi Academy
Last edited by mb; today at 10:55 AM.
2006-04-17, 1:54 PM #23
my way is better, it counts each game as being a DF sequel instead of a spinoff of the latest
Free Jin!
2006-04-17, 1:59 PM #24
OR... we could all not fight about it and go enjoy ice cream.
DO NOT WANT.
2006-04-17, 2:01 PM #25
OR... we could all not fight about it and go enjoy ice cream.

Sweet. I SCREAM FOR ICE CREAM.
2006-04-17, 2:05 PM #26
I cuss, you cuss, we all cuss for asparagus.
DO NOT WANT.
2006-04-17, 3:17 PM #27
There was no dark forces 3, therefore that "roomer" is probably false
2006-04-17, 3:38 PM #28
It'd be really cool if some random company nabbed the rights to DF and made a very old-school esque game. Something along the lines of what Metroid Prime was for the metroid fans. Granted, it's not as big of a jump, but no one can deny how un-DF JO/JA felt. They felt very EA and console-ish. Lucasarts has become an empire, rather than a game design company. JA was OBVIOUSLY made for no more than a quick buck. All they did was add some shader support and change the saber fighting up. The core game is identical to JO. And JO didn't feel very PC either.

I simply hate how everything in that game feels overly scripted. I don't feel like I'm saber fighting, I feel like I'm just dancing or making it look pretty. The acrobatics were useless because the environment didn't react to what you did at all, and the guns were very heavy ut-feeling.

I don't know, the feel of JA is unlike any other FPS I've played. Bad. It feels like an action game on the console. As if KOTOR had real-time saber fighting.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-04-17, 4:26 PM #29
I just want to play DF with a mouse.

:gbk:
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-04-17, 6:50 PM #30
Originally posted by JediKirby:
It'd be really cool if some random company nabbed the rights to DF and made a very old-school esque game. Something along the lines of what Metroid Prime was for the metroid fans. Granted, it's not as big of a jump, but no one can deny how un-DF JO/JA felt. They felt very EA and console-ish. Lucasarts has become an empire, rather than a game design company. JA was OBVIOUSLY made for no more than a quick buck. All they did was add some shader support and change the saber fighting up. The core game is identical to JO. And JO didn't feel very PC either.

I simply hate how everything in that game feels overly scripted. I don't feel like I'm saber fighting, I feel like I'm just dancing or making it look pretty. The acrobatics were useless because the environment didn't react to what you did at all, and the guns were very heavy ut-feeling.

I don't know, the feel of JA is unlike any other FPS I've played. Bad. It feels like an action game on the console. As if KOTOR had real-time saber fighting.

Yeah, I know what ya mean. JO and JA lacked the polish that DF and JK had.

What made it worse (at least for me) was the absolute HORRID AI. The Jedi AI was good but the AI for the non-Jedi was terrible. All they did was just stand there and shoot at you. Slicing through a bunch of stormtroopers got dull pretty fast because they just stood there, waiting for you to slice them to bits. The AI in JK was so much better. That says a lot considering that JK lacked a path finding system!

Not only that, they constantly fell off of high ledges and killed themselves. It was quite funny to be running around in Nar Shaddaa and all of a sudden see a Gran fall down and go splat from out of nowhere. At least JK had a "Max step" AI system that prevented the AI from taking a step larger than 0.5 JKUs, thus preventing them from falling off ledges.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-04-17, 9:57 PM #31
There's been word of ideas being thrown around for a similar game where the players play as Darth Vader. (It would not be part of Dark Forces, though.) I guess i'd be cool with that if it was all based on the original trilogy or at least felt like it. And if there wasn't any of that acrobatics nonsense. I liked the three sabre styles and extra range of movements in JO. The jumpy-flippy moves and the kata in JA were too much. (Liked the roll-lunge move, thouogh.)

But aside from that... nothing. I'd really like a return to some old-school Dark Forces Action, though. This jedi stuff has been incredibly old for what, over three years now? Long enough.
2006-04-17, 10:24 PM #32
They have gone away fromthe Jedi things with Republic Commando and the 2 Battlefront titles (aside from the heros in BF2).
Pissed Off?
2006-04-17, 10:25 PM #33
LucasArts should take a break (stop cash-whoring for a bit) with Star Wars titles and try other genres.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-04-17, 10:58 PM #34
Avenger-

Indeed, there was Republic Commando and Battlefront. I'm not sure what I think of Battlefront the Second- It was all right, but it detracts a little bit too much from what made the first Battlefront so good. And the heroes are a bit much. (Although I've got to say it was pretty cool playing as Chewbacca and the Fetts.) Seeing another game on the lines of Republic Commando would be great, provided it's called 'Imperial Commando.'

Echoman-

I couldn't agree with you more. Some old-school Lucasarts action would be great. It's just never been the same since they killed the Sam & Max sequel and Full Throttle: Hell on Wheels. But now that Star Wars is over, maybe there's a chance they'll start doing something different. (In fact, all the better that Star Wars gets swept under the rug again and it's just us old fashoned nerds and a few new converts.)
2006-04-17, 11:54 PM #35
Originally posted by Crimson:
No, this is the internet, not America. We speak real English here. :p

Fixed. :p
2006-04-18, 9:31 AM #36
I cuss, you cuss, we all cuss for asparagus.

Far Side quote!
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2006-04-18, 1:35 PM #37
Originally posted by Echoman:
LucasArts should take a break (stop cash-whoring for a bit) with Star Wars titles and try other genres.

broop

i totally didn't steal that from /.
did
Free Jin!
2006-04-18, 3:10 PM #38
Originally posted by genk:

I read that entire thing and all it seemed to be was a description of Ward and Hirschmann's credentials. There was some interesting information in the start, like how LEC rose from No. 13 to No. 8 rank in game sales.

I really wonder what will be the next game I buy from LEC. I almost bought Republic Commando, but the demo overturned that move. Emon summed it up in one word: consolitus. After playing the Battlefield 2 demo, I had no interest in Battlefront. LEC has great ideas but really needs to work on the quality of implementations. Star Wars games are their biggest strength and weakness. The latest titles (except KOTOR) are doused with fanboy charmers like visiting every movie location. Where's the originality? I don't need to pay $50 dollars for a game that rehashes the films.
2006-04-18, 3:17 PM #39
Thats whats great about DF/JK there were NO movie locations, areas that hadn't been defined by movies
Free Jin!
2006-04-18, 3:57 PM #40
True, but JO and JA didn't have many movie locations either. Some, granted.

I personally think the Battlefront titles were the perfectly logical choices to visit the all the movie locations though. I thought it was fantastic to be in a realistic Battle of Hoth for the first time in my 'Star Wars gaming life', for example. I mean the Battlefront titles are largely about reliving the movie battles. Although I always love seeing new places, like Rhen-Var and such.

But yeah, I think it's about time they revisted the First person-shooter idea. Dark Forces like. No Force, no lightsaber. But total game immersion. Like the good old Dark Forces days. hehe

↑ Up to the top!