Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Why do Mexican people?
Why do Mexican people?
2006-04-17, 8:00 PM #1
Alright I was on the phone today and had to call about 10 people. About 3 of them were Hispanic, like from Mexico, and whenever they answered, the woman or man would answer "¿Bueno?" Why do they answer with "Good?" instead of "¿Hola?"
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2006-04-17, 8:02 PM #2
Perhaps Gold can answer this.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-04-17, 8:04 PM #3
Well, we say "what's up" and "yo" and all manner of greetings that make no sense. :p
2006-04-17, 8:08 PM #4
But do you answer the phone to a total stranger with "Whats up?" or "Yo?"
2006-04-17, 8:11 PM #5
Who says he didn't know them?

Edit: I'm a moron :(

Maybe one day I will read people's names before posting.
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2006-04-17, 8:12 PM #6
Originally posted by THRAWN:
But do you answer the phone to a total stranger with "Whats up?" or "Yo?"

yes >.>
2006-04-17, 8:17 PM #7
That's just how they answer the phone.
Pissed Off?
2006-04-17, 8:23 PM #8
I have heard at times they answer with bueno.
Soy yo!
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
2006-04-17, 8:23 PM #9
I answer with "yo" all the time.
2006-04-17, 8:25 PM #10
Buenos Dias -> Bueno

Good Night -> Night
2006-04-17, 8:30 PM #11
[QUOTE=Vincent Valentine]Buenos Dias -> Bueno

Good Night -> Night[/QUOTE]

That's the thing though. They just say Bueno and not Buenos Dias. I was trying to talk to one and just hung up on her, and each time I asked her something she just said BUENO over and over. She said it like 3 times and I just hung up.
2006-04-17, 8:30 PM #12
Does it matter?

And even if it does matter, does it matter that it matters?
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-04-17, 8:30 PM #13
Alright I was on the phone today and had to call about 10 people. About 3 of them were Hispanic, like from Mexico, and whenever they answered, the woman or man would answer "¿Bueno?" Why do they answer with "Good?" instead of "¿Hola?"

I never ran into this when I was in the U.S.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2006-04-17, 8:30 PM #14
What you hear: "Good"
What they mean: "Add this sucker to the list"
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2006-04-17, 8:38 PM #15
Honestly don't know why they do it. When I lived down in Mexico I never really heard a reason for it. They just do. I actually say the same thing when I answer the phone in Spanish. A habit I picked up from them I guess.
Life is beautiful.
2006-04-17, 8:46 PM #16
That's the thing though. They just say Bueno and not Buenos Dias. I was trying to talk to one and just hung up on her, and each time I asked her something she just said BUENO over and over. She said it like 3 times and I just hung up.

Maybe she didn't speak English. Wow, you just fail at life. Honestly, how would you feel if you were living in another country and answered the phone differently than every one else so they just hung up on you.
Pissed Off?
2006-04-17, 8:48 PM #17
The word good... rendered into Spanish or perhaps vice versa... has more the one meaning. Some how... it became a common greeting... how? I have no idea... it just is now, and we can live with it... one thing I due wish to discuss... is why the majority of Mexican girls hide their feelings... and when you tell them what they feel, the slap or insult you and then admit it and are begging to be with you all day... like they are angry you discovered something you shouldn't, weird.
2006-04-17, 8:52 PM #18
I'm guessing they say Bueno for the same reason we say Hello... because some dude started using it and they were like "ok, let's all say this when we pick up the phone".

2006-04-17, 9:00 PM #19
[QUOTE=The Mega-ZZTer]I'm guessing they say Bueno for the same reason we say Hello... because some dude started using it and they were like "ok, let's all say this when we pick up the phone".[/QUOTE]

Thats how the "your mom" joke got made... and I thank massassi for that, because down here if you mess with somebodies mother, they take it very hard... people even have killed over stuff like that... ooo glad I wasn't brought up like that.
2006-04-17, 9:01 PM #20
Originally posted by Avenger:
Maybe she didn't speak English. Wow, you just fail at life. Honestly, how would you feel if you were living in another country and answered the phone differently than every one else so they just hung up on you.

What if they made you stay on the line while they took a foreign language course?
2006-04-17, 9:01 PM #21
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
What if they made you stay on the line while they took a foreign language course?

:rolleyes:

Gold: That's not unique to Mexico.
Pissed Off?
2006-04-17, 9:03 PM #22
and the new world record for most elipses in a single sentance goes to

*drumroll*

SF_GoldG_01!

congradulations!
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2006-04-17, 9:06 PM #23
:rolleyes:

Gold: That's not unique to Mexico.

huh?
2006-04-17, 9:07 PM #24
I was referring to the "your mom" stuff. People being killed for that is not unique to Mexico.
Pissed Off?
2006-04-17, 9:16 PM #25
I was referring to the "your mom" stuff. People being killed for that is not unique to Mexico.

You don't see it in the U.S. atleast not much, but lets drop it then.
2006-04-17, 9:17 PM #26
Come to any part of the US with ghettos, and people get killed for a lot less.
Pissed Off?
2006-04-17, 9:19 PM #27

Gee, alright. First of all, if I am gonna live in another country I'm gonna learn the language. Second, I tried to speak to her in English and she just kept saying the same thing. What was I gonna say "Hey lady, speak English cause I dont know Spanish!" or just hang up? Congratulations, you just failed on this topic.
2006-04-17, 9:21 PM #28
Have you ever answered the phone to find someone speaking another language that you don't understand? I think it's pretty obvious that you haven't. Maybe you need some remidial Spanish classes.
Pissed Off?
2006-04-17, 10:51 PM #29
Alexander Graham Bell wanted "Ahoy" to be the customary telephonic greeting, but Edison wanted "Hello," and that's the phrase that stuck.
2006-04-17, 11:48 PM #30
Have you ever answered the phone to find someone speaking another language that you don't understand? I think it's pretty obvious that you haven't. Maybe you need some remidial Spanish classes.

but spanish is not an official language of the united states. the fact is that most legal immigrants are european, not from countries latin america. And again, a person should learn the officail language of a country if they plan to stay there. knowing even basic english would help many of the immigrants from mexico and other nearby countries to get a job where they will at least get paid a proper (i.e. not illegaly low) wage.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2006-04-18, 12:27 AM #31
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
Thats how the "your mom" joke got made... and I thank massassi for that, because down here if you mess with somebodies mother, they take it very hard... people even have killed over stuff like that... ooo glad I wasn't brought up like that.

Heh, I think I'm going to start answering the phone with "Your mom!"...
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-04-18, 12:54 AM #32
[QUOTE=Vincent Valentine]Alexander Graham Bell wanted "Ahoy" to be the customary telephonic greeting, but Edison wanted "Hello," and that's the phrase that stuck.[/QUOTE]
I heard that Benjamin Franklin wanted the greeting to be, "Gobba gobba gobba?" but he was outvoted. The telephone government is so rigged.
2006-04-18, 1:30 AM #33
Originally posted by Impi:
Heh, I think I'm going to start answering the phone with "Your mom!"...

¡Tu madre!
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-04-18, 3:02 AM #34
Here it is customary to pick up the phone and stating your first and family name. Though with my cellphone I do usually pick up with just "hallo", but then again, if someone has my cellphone number he must already know me well. While anyone could have dialled my home number since it's widely available in phonebooks and company databases.
APT 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6
TDT
DMDMD

http://veddertheshredder.com
2006-04-18, 3:15 AM #35
Heh, a friend's mother always used to pick up the phone and then say exactly this: ""
She said absolutely nothing. You thought that there was something wrong with the connection, because you don't hear the dialtone or anything else.
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-04-18, 4:03 AM #36
I often answer with :

"Kentucky Fried Chicken, good evening, JP speaking. How can I help you?"

In french of course. Its always a good laugh hearing the person stammer. Teehee
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-04-18, 4:07 AM #37
Whenever I get telemarketers, I sometimes pick up the phone and say something random into it. Most of the time I go "wwaaahhhh!!!" and hang up. One time I said "Go away!" and immediately after hanging up, the guy called back! Talk about determination!
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-04-18, 7:05 AM #38

that sounds like the: "I'll pretend I don't speak english so I can get this sales man to hang up." I don't know what you were calling for but thats what it sounded like to me.
“Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously.” -G.K. Chesterton
2006-04-18, 7:27 AM #39
[quote=Vincent Valentine]Alexander Graham Bell wanted "Ahoy" to be the customary telephonic greeting, but Edison wanted "Hello," and that's the phrase that stuck.[/quote]

Edison Hate Future.
Attachment: 11425/edison1e.jpg (40,574 bytes)
幻術
2006-04-18, 7:30 AM #40
2 out of the 3 times I've been in a hospital for more than 1 day, some swedish people called to my room and spoke swedish and I was like "HUH" (I somehow also remember that I said something really rude when they just spoke swedish and I didn't) and tried speaking english to them, and then some other swede started talking and I was like "ENGLISH OMG" but they still didn't speak english. I didn't even know swedish was our 2nd official language back then, but I still wouldn't be able to talk swedish back to them :p
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum

↑ Up to the top!