Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Silent Hill
Silent Hill
2006-04-21, 8:44 AM #1
Silent Hill (the movie) comes out today, but I won't be able to see it until 7:00pm tonight. The previews have looked pretty good, but previews can be deceiving. Anyways, I'll post my judgement later on tonight, once I see it.

Anybody else planning on going today/night?
2006-04-21, 8:46 AM #2
I assume, if you never played the game, this movie won't be a fulfilling experience?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-04-21, 8:47 AM #3
Originally posted by Echoman:
I assume, if you never played the game, this movie won't be a fulfilling experience?

Meh, I doubt that. I'm sure the majority of people who have seen the previews don't even know that it's based on a video game.
2006-04-21, 8:49 AM #4
it's not like they're not going to give you any plot that the video game did. im sure they can both be played/seen seperate and you will know exactly what's going on. and since the silent hill games were awesome as games, and the producers of the games had a HUGE say on what went in the movie, and how it looks, i would say the movie is worth watching, at least.

i cant wait. have to go to a matinee though cause im in a play tonight and dont have time to see a 7 or 9 PM one :\
2006-04-21, 8:51 AM #5
The movie looks mediocre to me.

But I can see this movie getting into Scary Movie 5 :p
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2006-04-21, 9:17 AM #6
Looks pretty good. I'll probably catch a late show tonight.
2006-04-21, 10:59 AM #7
I saw it last night, and I really liked it. My roommates had a problem with it because some of the major aspects were different then the video game, but I was like, "meh.. that's to be expected". overall, I think it is a great scary movie. I only had a few problems with it myself.

It seemed as if the monsters dissapeared after their intro scene... it was like..

oh look at this monster... ok.. now lets forget about him.. look a different monster.. ok he's done.. now look.. a different monster.. ok.. nothing more with this one..

the only re occuring monster was Pyramid head (YESS!!)... not that it's a bad thing that pyramid came back.. just that I would have loved to see some scenes with multiple types of monsters. and would have loved to see the patient demon come back later in the film instead of having only 1 scene :mad:

but you can't win them all i guess..

8 out of 10 *
||||||||||||||||||||
2006-04-21, 12:42 PM #8
Going to watch it tonight
2006-04-21, 1:26 PM #9
Well I just got back from seeing it. Afraid I can't do much comparison since I've never played the game, however in my opinion, I just wasted £6.

Not much to elaborte on, I'll just say that the plot was mediocre and the ending was a slight bit of a mind-****.
nope.
2006-04-21, 1:40 PM #10
yeah, the plot was "meh" (the video game plot was MUCH better.. plus the monsters have their own stories and reasons for being and looking the way they do) but the visuals and sounds are outstanding
||||||||||||||||||||
2006-04-21, 1:45 PM #11
Hrmm, the effects were good, but there were slight parts where it annoyed me. Mostly in the church when everyone was being ripped apart by barbed wire. For some reason the wire just annoyed me.

Oh, and with the ending, when Sean Bean wakes up on that couch and finds the door open, moved when they came in, why wasn't the car in the drive?
nope.
2006-04-21, 2:57 PM #12
Originally posted by petmc20:
The movie looks mediocre to me.

But I can see this movie getting into Scary Movie 5 :p

hah good joke
2006-04-21, 5:01 PM #13
Whaaat, Sean Bean's in this?!?!
2006-04-21, 5:36 PM #14
my question... is it worth the money to go see it?
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2006-04-21, 5:38 PM #15
Originally posted by saberopus:
Whaaat, Sean Bean's in this?!?!

my thoughts exactly
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-04-21, 5:46 PM #16
He's the main character's husband.

Looky Looky: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384537/
nope.
2006-04-21, 6:40 PM #17
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:

That, i guess is a matter of personal opinion... Baconfish would say no.. where as I would say definately... I suggest every watch this.
||||||||||||||||||||
2006-04-21, 10:03 PM #18
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Oh, and with the ending, when Sean Bean wakes up on that couch and finds the door open, moved when they came in, why wasn't the car in the drive?
Because Rose and Sharon are dead. That's how they got to bizarro-Silent Hill in the first place. It was basically Hell/Purgatory for the "witch hunters" who died in the fire. I'm not sure if it was meant to be, but I took the ending as an homage of sorts to Jacob's Ladder, which inspired many of the aspects of the game. Supposedly, anyway, I've never played any of the Silent Hill games except a bit of the fourth. Anyway, I really enjoyed the movie. The last scene in the church was pretty awesome, even if some of the effects were a bit meh. I'd say it's definately worth the money. Hell, I'd go so far as to say it's the best video game movie yet.
2006-04-21, 10:22 PM #19
I left in the middle. I thought it was terrible.
2006-04-21, 11:33 PM #20
care to elaborate?
||||||||||||||||||||
2006-04-22, 1:42 AM #21
Never played the games so I dunno how true to the story line it was. I take it with some previous posts that it was off to some degree..

The movie itself was interesting even if you haven't played the games in my opinion, but I would have liked some sort of explanations for why certain monsters were the way they were..
"You were probably a result of sabotage."
2006-04-22, 9:32 AM #22
Trevalyn: Dudes, dudes, I have seen this awesome Geocities site on haaaauuunnnttteeddd cities. Oh, and look, they have silent hill.

MOST

RETARDED

INTRO

EVAR.

And who can sympathize with the main character? She just acts like a dumbass and gets herself and her daughter killed in the beginning.

Everyone in the theater was laughing during the movie, sans when pyramid head was there. Horrible, horrible dialogue.
2006-04-22, 9:37 AM #23
In Silent Hill's defense, the cool part about it was it was VERY ambiguous (or how ever you spell it) and not all the answeres were there, but you could find them if you looked hard enough..

WARNING!! - DOnt read if you EVER intend to play either Silent Hill 1 or 2!!!!

Silent Hill 1 VG plot : Harry mason (changed into a woman named rose int he movie) is passing through Silent Hill with his daughter (whom he found as a baby while passing through silent hill with his wife, 7 years earlier). The same basic opening scene happens, where they are driving in a jeep, an dthe little girl walks out infront of them, and they crash.. when Harry comes to, his daughter is gone. Harry starts coming across all these monsters and such.

THE MAIN difference:
There is a cult in the game LED by Daliah Gilespie.. This cult is a weird religion that is srtiving to find paradise. The religion goes like this..

1. There were humans, they were lonely, sad and eternal.
2. A man offered a serpent to the sun and prayed for companionshp.
3. A wonam offered (something) to the sun and prayed for happyness.
4. God was then born of these two people
5. God broguth happiness and the likes to the people.
6. She (God) became very weak after this and began to die, but prophisized her return or "rebirth"

Daliah Gilespie realised that her daughter "Allessa Gilespie" would be the one to birth the god, and since Allessa was somewhat psyhic, she prayed that would make the god even more powerful. knowing that the god needed nightmares to "grow" inside Alessa, Daliah set her daughter on fire to FUEL the God. However this worked too well, and she was put into a coma.. or a constant nightmare. Alessa was in such pain that her psychic abilities began "projecting" her nightmare on the real world... hence the monsters.

Harry's daughter was the same though, another incarnation of Alessa.

The Plot of Silent Hill 2:

The Main Charactor James Sunderland, goes to silent hill because he recently recieved a letter from his dead wife, claiming that she was waiting for him in silent hill. AT the end, you find out that James had infact Killed his own wife but smothering her in her bed. The monsters in Silent Hill 2 were ways of James to punish himself.

There were 2 monsters used from Silent Hill 2 in the movie...

The one that spits the Acid at Cybil (AKA THE PATIENT DEMON):
In Silent Hill 2, this creature was to symbolize "suffocation" which is why it looks like it has a plastic bag over it's WHOLE upper torso...

I don't know why it was in Silent Hill the movie.. but it was awesome none the less :)

The Red Pyramid (AKA PYRAMID HEAD):
There were exicutioners in Silent Hill's past that wore pyramid shaped cloaks over their heads (to protect their identity from god). James had seen a painting of one of these (before the game had started) with his wife before she had died... James' subconcious KNEW what he had done to his wife, so he brought a "pyramid head" to punish himself. Because this image was an image of death and punishment in Silent Hills past..

Again, I don't know why it was in Silent Hill the movie.. but it was awesome none the less :)

As I stated before, the Video Game plots are much cooler then the movie's plot, and more original too. BUT i still think the movie was cool with some really good eye candy and awesome music and sounds. I think that EVERYONE should play atleast "Silent Hill 2" (one had crappy graphics)
||||||||||||||||||||
2006-04-22, 9:37 AM #24
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:

No, don't waste your money. If anything, wait until it comes out on video so you only waste a few dollars to see it.

It was honestly one of the worst movies I've seen in the past few months. :gbk: I was so disappointed.
2006-04-22, 10:05 AM #25
it's actually kinda funny that there are 2 opposite sides of the spectrum... no middle ground..

please, instead of saying that it was the worst movie, would someone explain WHY it was the worst movie. Cause I am drawing a blank..

I thought the acting was good, the camera shots were amazing, the costumes looked sweet, some of the aspects were REALLY REALLY creepy... the cg could be less then realistic at times, and the story was mediocre..

How do you get "the worst movie" out of that?!
||||||||||||||||||||
2006-04-22, 12:13 PM #26
The acting was sub-par at best. Some of the dialogue was just terrible, especially between Rose and the cop. The "storyline" was completely ridiculous, and made very little sense at all. It's like 5 different people wrote their own versions, then all threw them together. The movie stopped being "scary" at all after about the first 40 minutes. I was actually enjoying it up until that point, then it all just went down the drain. I still had a little bit of hope for it, up until toward the end when the screen went completely white and they showed that old footage and explained more details about "what was going on." After that, I literally had to keep myself from laughing at how bad it was.
2006-04-22, 12:17 PM #27
The CG was really terrible, and the lady screaming, running around and away from these random little coal gremlins trying to find her daughter, the intermittant periods of the air raid darkness. None of it appealed to me.

Plus I couldn't think of where I had seen that cop before.
2006-04-22, 12:22 PM #28
By the way, I recognized her primarily from the X-Files. She played Marita Covarrubias.
2006-04-22, 6:03 PM #29
Seems to me that if you haven't played the game, you're going to walk out of the theater saying "what the ****?" The group of people that went to see it with me was split down the middle of those who had played the series and those who hadn't, and those who hadn't had no idea what to think of the film. Though I'm wondering where they're going with that ending.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-04-22, 7:04 PM #30
Sounds like either it was good, or it sucked hardcore.

I know I liked the most recent game they put out, it was fun to play (played it at my sisters house, with her hubby)

Hm...still iffy about going to see it, dont know if its worth th emoney, lol too many bad reviews. I guess I'll ask johnny and or Jaime, those two norm. have good taste in movies, i'll go if they have good things to say about it
2006-04-22, 7:22 PM #31
haha it was an awesome movie, but yeah. the acting played out exactly like a video game.
2006-04-22, 8:41 PM #32
What kind of game was it? I was always under the impression it was a Resident Evil type game, with fun guns and zombie killing times.

But it doesn't sound like there's much room for guns in this story..
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2006-04-22, 9:08 PM #33
Originally posted by happydud:
What kind of game was it? I was always under the impression it was a Resident Evil type game, with fun guns and zombie killing times.

But it doesn't sound like there's much room for guns in this story..

It's more of a true survival horror game than Resident Evil. The fear is more psychological based and there is less of an emphasis on killing. From what I have heard from other people, the story is much deeper than the Resident Evil games; it is full of symbolism and imagery.
2006-04-22, 9:12 PM #34
having only played the game thus far I can say its def. more pyschological.

As things progress things become more possessed, more evil, evil fungus, places that drain your energy from the possessions. freaky music, def. the perfect thing to play at night and get freaked out about lol

As far as the movie goes, I couldnt say lol
2006-04-22, 10:38 PM #35
Laura : Johnny liked it
||||||||||||||||||||
2006-04-22, 11:42 PM #36
Just got back from seeing it, it was an okay movie, some bits I didnt like some I did. Id give it a 7/10
2006-04-23, 2:49 AM #37
again, i'll ask him, if he says its good, then i'll prob. go with my friends jon, zach and austin, and then post what I thought of the flick be it good, bad or just ok, prob wont be till next sat. though cuz thats when we are hanging out, so till then i'm still indifferent :cool:
2006-04-23, 7:41 AM #38
AGAIN, YOU DON'T NEED TO ASK HIM!!! I JUST SAID HE LIKED IT~!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: ..

heh, just kidding
||||||||||||||||||||
2006-04-23, 5:03 PM #39
Settle down there, Cochise. You need to back. Up. The lady can do what she wants and it might be good to let her. Why should she care what you think, chief? If you ask me, the movie looks dumb like every other horror movie that's been made in the past five years. Be original for cripes sake. Oh and it's based off a video game too? Man! What a novel idea! If they can do it, I bet Duck Hunt's a sure-fire win with audiences.
DISCLAIMER: This is just armchair observation, not the result of many hours of deliberate study of the subject. I'm by no means an expert, but just an ignorant hick who's putting his two cents in. For that and a nickel, you can have a cup of coffee.
2006-04-24, 10:44 AM #40
.. that was a joke, hence the "just kidding" part
||||||||||||||||||||

↑ Up to the top!