Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Protestant.
Protestant.
2006-04-24, 4:06 PM #1
The definition is a Christian who is not a member of the Roman Catholic or Eastern Orthodox church. My teacher claims "I'm not protesting anything, I'm not protestant." I say she's wrong, because somewhere down the line her church's roots protested the Catholic church, no? Hence, she is protesting her disagreement with my church by not being a member. I have no problem with this, except she refuses to accept it. She says "We didn't break away from the church, our church is the same way the Apostles celebrated church."

Wtfh. Alright, remember my thread a while back about me forming opinions on everything, and how I don't care as long as you don't say I'm wrong about something with no evidence to back it up? This is one of those times, and she just lost my respect.

So, do you consider yourself Protestant if you aren't Catholic? If so, elaborate please.

And please, don't turn this into a flame war.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-04-24, 4:09 PM #2
I'm a protestant, cos I protest against organised religion.

Oh, besides, I protest/whine/complain/winge ALLLL the time, every day :D
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-04-24, 4:14 PM #3
Non-Denominational, oh yeaaaaaaaaaa
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-04-24, 4:19 PM #4
Originally posted by Ruthven:

Ain't that the truth...

:D
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-04-24, 4:21 PM #5
Originally posted by genk:

Same here.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2006-04-24, 5:10 PM #6
No, Protestants are churches and members of such churches that draw their identity from the Protestant Reformation.

There are other Christians, which can be called Restorationists. More prominent is Orthodox Christianity, consisting of the eastern religions.

After all the Catholic church is, in reality, protesting the eastern churches. Also, Islam is protesting Judaism and Christianity, making everyone protestant, and therefore saved. We no longer need religion and can now live in peace.

Independent and Liberal Christians are often not properly placed with protestants.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-04-24, 5:14 PM #7
I am of a different religion, and thus this poll doesn't apply to me.

:p
2006-04-24, 6:40 PM #8
I'm Catholic.
2006-04-24, 6:42 PM #9
Lutheran.
2006-04-24, 6:43 PM #10
Originally posted by Spook:
No, Protestants are churches and members of such churches that draw their identity from the Protestant Reformation.

There are other Christians, which can be called Restorationists. More prominent is Orthodox Christianity, consisting of the eastern religions.

After all the Catholic church is, in reality, protesting the eastern churches. Also, Islam is protesting Judaism and Christianity, making everyone protestant, and therefore saved. We no longer need religion and can now live in peace.

Independent and Liberal Christians are often not properly placed with protestants.

Good point.

If I had a cookie I'd give it to you.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-04-24, 6:44 PM #11
Originally posted by Stinkywrix:
I am of a different religion, and thus this poll doesn't apply to me.

:p

Well, technically, Sunnites are protestants to Shi'ites, and vice versa, so... :p
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-04-24, 6:47 PM #12
Originally posted by Ruthven:
I'm a protestant, cos I protest against organised religion.

2006-04-24, 7:05 PM #13
As a Lutheran, Zloc, I can safely say that many Protestants believe themselves to practice Christianity in a form more closely resembling that practiced by the original apostles and early fathers of the faith.

The Protestant Reformation certainly constituted a break from the Roman Catholic Church, which has risen through the centuries as the (almost) unbroken body of Christianity from the 'papacy' of Peter. However, the Reformation broke away from (or 'protested') the complication of Christianity through Tradition that many felt and still feel detracts from the central messages of Christ.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-04-24, 8:30 PM #14
Just cause. :p
2006-04-24, 8:35 PM #15
Ha, I tied it, 10 to 10.

I'm not going to worry about Religion until I die. I'll burn that bridge when I cross it.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2006-04-24, 8:40 PM #16
Protestant, and happy to say so. I'm non-denominational and I would say that my belief is that we more closely follow the early church than so Catholics. I think the Catholic Church has gotten better then it was when the Reformation started but only because of the Counter Reformation which I don't think would have happened without people like Luther. My view is that many Catholics and Protestants alike try to add to Christianity's gospel by adding in works or rituals in addition to the Cross. But if the cross was not completely sufficient for our salvation then Christ died for nothing. If the grace of God is your only means and the complete means for your salvation then I'm cool with that. I don't see the Catholic Church teaching that though. I know the gospel it is taught in many Catholic churches. However many others teach things in addition to it, one example, but not the only one, is the prayer to Saints which is idolatry. I know not all Catholic churches teach that but the church itself is still allowing it. So I do "protest" the Catholic Church. I don't have things against Catholics, many of them I have no doubts are genuine believers. But the Catholic Church is dangerous because I think many of them offer false hope.

hopefuly that all made sense.

P.S. (This is not a bash on catholics.) It is an honest question, why do they teach celibacy for priests when Peter himself was married and many of the Apostles? This is something I have always wondered. (I know Celibacy is a calling for some people such as Paul, and Jesus of course, but in the Bible I also see that many of the leaders were married.)
“Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously.” -G.K. Chesterton
2006-04-24, 8:44 PM #17
Episcopalian.
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2006-04-24, 8:58 PM #18
I'm not Protestant because I was raised Catholic. Zloc is right in saying that his teacher is a Protestant. It just stuck from the Protestant reformation a few hundred years back. These days, no one is really protesting though.
Pissed Off?
2006-04-24, 9:17 PM #19
Originally posted by genk:

w00t, I just consider myself a Christian. Sure I have certain doctrinal beliefs that could put me in all sorts of groups, but I just don't care as much as actually believing in Christ Himself.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2006-04-24, 10:09 PM #20
Technically I am one.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-04-24, 10:11 PM #21
I voted no, because I'm a Jew which makes me right.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2006-04-24, 10:38 PM #22
[QUOTE=Numenor King]If the grace of God is your only means and the complete means for your salvation then I'm cool with that. I don't see the Catholic Church teaching that though.
[/QUOTE]

Catholic - and that was exactly the message in last Sunday's homily. I think the more central issue that we contrast with some religions is that some people feel once you are 'saved', that's it. Catholics, you have to try and achieve that your entire life. My mom knew someone who felt like she was 'saved', and no matter what she did she was going to heaven.

I'm not really surprised though, we get a ton of bad rep from stuff, but most of the time it's just ignorant people who know of the Church only from other word of mouth and history books describing the church when it was in a bad state.

Example - We worship statues (no). We can buy our way into heaven (no). We are not big on the Bible (have you been to a service? Do you understand the readings, the Pslams, etc), All priests have sex with altar boys (If you honestly believe this, :eek:)...the list goes on and on.

And honestly Numernor, if you want just google it. Just on the topic of praying to Saints alone...

http://members.cox.net/jamesferguson/JF1/Links/Praying2Saints.htm
http://matt1618.freeyellow.com/saints.html
http://www.catholic.org/saints/faq.php
http://catholicism.about.com/cs/saints/f/whypraysaints04.htm
http://home.classicnet.net/standrewschurch/saints.htm

The overall point, we pray with Saints, not to them. Just like you'll ask someone to "Pray for my family", it's the same thing. Agree or not, read up! And I have NEVER been a church that says to pray to saints in such a way that you could call it idolatry. Now how people practice it, that is different. This is always a major point of contest between protestants and catholics though...

People have debated Catholicism for 1000's of years and not reached a consensus. Why try to resolve it here. Back on topic!
2006-04-24, 10:39 PM #23
I'm not Christian, therefore I'm not Protestant.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-04-24, 11:36 PM #24
Well, I'm not sure that I could be accurately categorized as Christian, but if I was, I imagine I'd be more along the lines of non-denomenational.
2006-04-24, 11:43 PM #25
Originally posted by -Monoxide-:
Lutheran.

same. although i wouldn't call myself very religious in a traditional sense. i used to go to church when i was younger, but ive found that going to church wasn't the way i wanted to show my religious beliefs.
just going to church doesn't automatically make you religious (or a good person for that matter), its about applying that to the real world. thats what i think the bigger idea of christianity is about and thats what i try to do.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2006-04-25, 1:18 AM #26
United Church of Canada, rock on.
Stuff
2006-04-25, 1:45 AM #27
Being a Lutheran I'm automatically a protestant. So, yes.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-04-25, 3:17 AM #28
I'm a non-denominational christian. But to be specific, my parents often refer to the church movement in which they met in though as the "Pentecostal Charistmatic" movement (not to be confused with the United movement) so it's through that church movement in which I was raised in.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-04-25, 6:27 AM #29
I'm non-denominational.
2006-04-25, 11:41 AM #30
and I'm the Mantrain.
2006-04-25, 12:29 PM #31
[QUOTE=Numenor King]...and Jesus of course...[/QUOTE]

Christ was never called to celibacy. The Bible cannon never mentions his marital status. Other works, however...
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-04-25, 12:42 PM #32
Originally posted by Martyn:
and I'm the Mantrain.

we all know that one :D
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2006-04-25, 1:17 PM #33
TECHNICALLY I'm a protestant, since I was born in, will probably get married in and be buried in something C of E. Or cremated. Or what have you.

EDIT: Okay, it's not 100% clear cut or anything, but Anglicanism and Protestantism are pretty closely linked.

But really? I'm as atheistic as my mobile 'phone.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-04-25, 1:39 PM #34
<--- Jew
former entrepreneur
2006-04-25, 1:41 PM #35
I do not believe in any particular faith.
2006-04-25, 1:45 PM #36
<-- agnostic existentialist morally relative secular humanist.. or something
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-04-25, 3:05 PM #37
We're currently learning about the Reformation, and it's pissing me off. My teacher (and book, for that matter) go off on things that are so BIASED. I mean, I know the church taught differently (somewhat) in the older days, but the book is making it out to be a horrible, horrible thing, and only focuses on the negative (IE: Inquisition.).

And my teacher claims that she's not protesting the Catholic church, she never broke away from any church. She and her church have services like the Apostles did. My question (I wish I would have had this debate when I asked her why she "Wasn't Protestant") was this: How do you know how the Apostles held mass? Hmmm? And you don't believe the Eucharist is Christ himself, yet you claim to hold services like the Apostles and you don't know what THEY believed either. In fact, I'm going to ask this tomorrow.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-04-25, 3:13 PM #38
Originally posted by -Monoxide-:
Lutheran.

You worship Lex Luthor?
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2006-04-25, 3:22 PM #39
ZLoc, how do you know how the Apostles had mass?
2006-04-25, 3:30 PM #40
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
And my teacher claims that she's not protesting the Catholic church, she never broke away from any church. She and her church have services like the Apostles did. My question (I wish I would have had this debate when I asked her why she "Wasn't Protestant") was this: How do you know how the Apostles held mass? Hmmm? And you don't believe the Eucharist is Christ himself, yet you claim to hold services like the Apostles and you don't know what THEY believed either. In fact, I'm going to ask this tomorrow.

You should ask her if they divide their congregation between catechumens (those not baptized, and therefore unable to share in communion) and those who have been baptized, and if only members who have been with the church for at least seven years are baptized, whether they have services on Saturday or Sunday, whether they follow the Mosaic laws, and whether any of their clergy have apostolic succession. Her church sounds like Jehovah's Witnesses or something; she may in fact not be protestant. I'm sorry if most of what I just wrote not make sense, but those are the features of the early church which have fallen out of favor over the last two millennia. Plus it's not like the apostles all had the same type of mass or whatnot.

↑ Up to the top!